Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #651
TX85
Seńor Zorro

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That's a ridiculously low price for all of that.
Yeah I know I ain't being far But just can't see myself passing the $600 mark again even for a bundle like that.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #652
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
I've been waiting for a Vita price cut, or at least for the memory cards to go down in price. Those cards are way overpriced.
Yeah, I was just reminded that the bigest problem people had with the Vita wasn't the games or the price, but the fact that the memory cards were not enough and that more space was needed, and those were what was expensive.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #653
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No the Vita launched at $250. The 3G model was $299, which most people didn't bother with. $250 was a decent price for it. Sony got praised for it when it was announced at E3 as many were expecting $300-$350. It wasn't till the 3DS cut its price, that people started complaining about the Vita
Mine was 300. It was the 3G model.. Only reason I bought that version was because it came with a memory card... Which were like 30 bucks.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #654
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I want a Vita, but I am hoping for a price drop before purchasing one. I'm not worried about games due to Plus but the I also want a big memory card and those are very expensive.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #655
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

You don't need to worry about a 32GB card, I'll say that much. I have a 16GB card and I currently have as much as 10 games on my system, including big files like Soul Sacrifice.

But yeah, a Vita and a Plus account are ridiculous value these days. You get two of the systems best games, Uncharted and Gravity Rush, right off the bat and the other two are usually brilliant. Last month it was the exceptional Sine Mora and Velocity Ultra and this month it's frickin' Rayman Origins. It's madness.

(Side note, you should be adding those games to your basket on PSN even if you don't have a Vita, because you can still get and keep them through Plus).

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #656
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Maybe it's just my dislike of handhelds....but it seems like popularity for handhelds is shrinking

Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #657
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Ł50 for Vita 32MB is what seems very expensive to us.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #658
Fading
>:(

I don't think the popularity of handhelds is shrinking as much as the handheld market has grown, and is splitting the consumer base. Even if you don't consider cell phones, and other portable devices pure handhelds, they do play games. As gaming on phones rises in popularity, you're going to see more people opt out of getting a pure gaming handheld since they can already game on a device they own.

Of course the hardcore gamers know they can't get their gaming fix by picking piddly $1 titles that hold your attention for 5 mins, and parents will still see a 3DS as a good birthday present for their kids. For everyone else, it's getting harder to see a reason to buy a Vita when they already have an Ipad, Iphone, and PS3/360. At least that's how I see it, I have no clue how the handhelds are currently doing as I don't follow sales anymore. Personally I'd like for the PSP brand to rival the DS, so handhelds were as competitive as consoles.

Last edited by Fading; 05-31-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #659
Fading

Handheld related, but not related to my above statement.

The reason I haven't gotten a Vita yet, is the same reason the original PSP bored me. I like the multimedia functions, but I only use them at home. Most of the games feel like console-lites, so the exclusives don't appeal much. Nintendo handhelds (like Pokemon) just offer something I don't see on consoles (that's not necessarily a better, or worse experience, just different). I can play most of the Nintendo exclusives for 10 mins to kill time, or get engrossed for hours. Where the PSP exclusives feel like I need to invest more time into them.

That said, Uncharted alone was what almost tempted me to buy a Vita. If my PSP hadn't been broken by a relative's kid a bit back, I would have picked up Valkyria Chronicles as well. PSP has some good games, they just don't feel like things I want to play on a handheld. Oddly enough, most of my gaming on PSP was the PS1 games from the Playstation Store. I spent more time on Castlevania SoTN, Xenogears, Suikoden, and FF games (including Tactics) on my PSP than anything else.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #660
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
I don't think the popularity of handhelds is shrinking as much as the handheld market has grown, and is splitting the consumer base. Even if you don't consider cell phones, and other portable devices pure handhelds, they do play games. As gaming on phones rises in popularity, you're going to see more people opt out of getting a pure gaming handheld since they can already game on a device they own.

Of course the hardcore gamers know they can't get their gaming fix by picking piddly $1 titles that hold your attention for 5 mins, and parents will still see a 3DS as a good birthday present for their kids. For everyone else, it's getting harder to see a reason to buy a Vita when they already have an Ipad, Iphone, and PS3/360. At least that's how I see it, I have no clue how the handhelds are currently doing as I don't follow sales anymore. Personally I'd like for the PSP brand to rival the DS, so handhelds were as competitive as consoles.
I think phones will challenge handhelds more and more as they get better on the gaming front. I've never agreed with the view that the rise of mobile gaming is part of the reason for the decline in AAA retail but with handhelds there will be genuine competition in the not too far future. Also I think a fair number of the hardcore gamers might not be quite so hardcore when they're on the move. I prefer quite basic puzzle type games if I'm on public transport or something like that. And the price of handheld games seems quite high to me.

BUT things like the integration of Vita with the PSN network and PS4 would definitely convince me to get one anyway if I was getting only a PS4 out of the next gen consoles.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #661
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
You don't need to worry about a 32GB card, I'll say that much. I have a 16GB card and I currently have as much as 10 games on my system, including big files like Soul Sacrifice.

But yeah, a Vita and a Plus account are ridiculous value these days. You get two of the systems best games, Uncharted and Gravity Rush, right off the bat and the other two are usually brilliant. Last month it was the exceptional Sine Mora and Velocity Ultra and this month it's frickin' Rayman Origins. It's madness.

(Side note, you should be adding those games to your basket on PSN even if you don't have a Vita, because you can still get and keep them through Plus).
Well thats good to hear! I was looking at a 32GB. I try to add everything thats free for Vita, lately it seems to be alot of fighters. Rayman Origins?! The UK seems to get better deals for Plus than the US!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #662
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

32 GB memory cards for a handheld lol. And here I am sitting with my PS2 and 8 MB memory card.

At this rate, maybe Kurzweil was right.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #663
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Maybe it's just my dislike of handhelds....but it seems like popularity for handhelds is shrinking
Someone must have forgot to tell that to the 3DS...

Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #664
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I won't lie, if I could get a 3DS, I would just for the new Pokemon games. But I'm not a Nintendo fanboy anymore so I don't see the need to have one of those either. I was lucky enough to just take my nephew's DS lite once he decided to make the move from Nintendo to Sony, and even then, I barely use it.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #665
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

To be fair, the 3DS was like Nintendo's first ever loss.

250 is a **** load of cash for a handheld.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #666
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think phones will challenge handhelds more and more as they get better on the gaming front. I've never agreed with the view that the rise of mobile gaming is part of the reason for the decline in AAA retail but with handhelds there will be genuine competition in the not too far future. Also I think a fair number of the hardcore gamers might not be quite so hardcore when they're on the move. I prefer quite basic puzzle type games if I'm on public transport or something like that. And the price of handheld games seems quite high to me.

BUT things like the integration of Vita with the PSN network and PS4 would definitely convince me to get one anyway if I was getting only a PS4 out of the next gen consoles.
Honestly, I don't buy mobile gaming hurting console gaming either, it's apples and oranges. You play mobile games while waiting in a doctor's office, or inbetween classes in school, on lunch break, ect. When you're at home you're going to opt for a better, bigger experience. Whether that be watching a movie, gaming on a console, or getting on your computer. Mobile gaming on phones usually isn't something you do while setting on your couch with other options in front of you.

As for hardcore gamers not being as hardcore on the move, I agree. That's why I like Nintendo handhelds. I can play Pokemon for 10 mins while waiting for something, or set at home and play it for hours. Nintendo has this nice balance of gaming that can be as light, or heavy as you want it to be, which works of handhelds.

The problem is I usually don't play handhelds on the go. I have no time while driving to work, I socialize with others on break, and after work I either go straight home, or go to a friends/GF house (neither of which require a mobile gaming system). The only time I bring a mobile gaming device with me outside of the house is if I'm doing something out of the ordinary, like going on a trip, or staying in a waiting room while someone I know is in the hospital. If I only got a mobile gaming device for those times, I'd rarely play it. 95% of my mobile gaming is done at home, so personally I buy a mobile gaming device with that in mind. Since I'm at home already, a Vita is too similar to my PS3 (same with my old PSP). Where a DS/3DS offers me something different (as I don't buy Nintendo consoles anymore).

Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #667
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I've never known anyone who owns a Gameboy, or a DS, who also doesn't have a console.

Maybe if they're nomadic?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #668
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I think the Nintendo handhelds dwarf their consoles, all you need is a GBA, NDS, or 3DS to experience loads of amazing games. I wouldn't complain if thats all I had for games, there is alot of quality to be found.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #669
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I'm still waiting for a 3D console version of Pokemon.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #670
Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think the Nintendo handhelds dwarf their consoles, all you need is a GBA, NDS, or 3DS to experience loads of amazing games. I wouldn't complain if thats all I had for games, there is alot of quality to be found.
I just have gotten tired of most Nintendo franchises in all honesty. I stopped caring for Mario long ago. Zelda, and Pokemon are the two pure exclusive franchises of theirs I still care for. Pokemon's best games are on handhelds, and Zelda also appears on handhelds. I hate missing out on Zelda console titles, but it's just not enough anymore to warrant a console purchase for me anymore. Meanwhile their handhelds have even more titles that I'd like to buy that don't appear on their consoles.

As a side note, I do wish Monster Hunter would be brought to other consoles. I didn't count it in the list with Zelda, and PM, because it appears on PSP as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #671
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I'm still waiting for a 3D console version of Pokemon.
Well there is the Stadium and Coliseum games for N64/Gamecube. And the forgotten Battle revolution for Wii. Which could transfer your Pokemon from the handhelds I believe.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #672
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Well there is the Stadium and Coliseum games for N64/Gamecube. And the forgotten Battle revolution for Wii. Which could transfer your Pokemon from the handhelds I believe.
I'm talking about the RPG versions. Like the new 3DS games intrigue me because of how they're changing the environments and visual. I want a console game that has an open world feel to it.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #673
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

There's probably an actual reason they've never made a "true" Pokémon console game.

Forbes has a whole article on it, apparently.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...-console-game/

Coliseum came kind of close. Stadium was a bad joke though.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #674
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Those are all value points. I always assumed that the reason was because the social stuff works better with the handhelds, and it gives them a reason to release two similar games at once. But I can also see how the success of a console version could also impact how well the handhelds continue to do.

I never played Coliseum, but I had both Pokemon Stadium games and they were ultimately a let down. Although not nearly as bad as Pokemon Snap.

But just to bring this back on topic, Nintendo knows how to sell its handhelds and the price cut for the 3DS really did make a big difference. Sony needs to do the same soon with the Vita, and they really need developers to get behind it. I think I heard that many were scared to develop for the Vita because they didn't quite understand the tech for it.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #675
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Coliseum is worth checking out. Probably aged a bit, but I enjoyed it as a rental. It's basically what Stadium should have been.

Closed Thread