The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #151
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 1

With all the social gaming additions&focus for PS4 I'm surprised Sony didn't announce major upgrades to PS Home.

I guess the're dropping it!?,I really like Home But it needs way more interaction options than just walking/dancing&chatting for the most part

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #152
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I never liked Home but that's me. I just never saw the use of it. But some of my friends use it.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #153
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

I used Home once....just to get a Dust beta key....

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #154
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Still though that is not a basis necessarily to do so. You were happy with your PS1 and PS2 but unhappy with the PS3. So what's to say you being happy with your 360 means you will really be happy with your X3? They could make a massive misstep for all you know.

But I will buy both most likely. But Sony has always been my main platform for years.
I wasn't unhappy at all with the PS3 at all even though it may seem that why from my comments, however after buying the 360 less than 6 months ago between this current generation of consoles I prefer the 360 which is why I'm leaning towards potentially paying my money to them for their next console before Sony.

Cost is another issue, the original PS3 cost something in the region of £450 on release & the original 360 cost something like £300, I believe that included a years Live subscription as well although don't quote me as I didn't buy an Xbox until 6 months ago, Xbox Elite I think it's called. I'm also aware that the original 360 had some additional costs after it's release to upgrade to various things like Wi-Fi which took both systems costs to something similar if you took the upgrades.

However if the PS4 is significantly dearer than the 720, Sony might price me out of buying it anyway as if I was going to buy one of them on release day, I won't be anticipating any future costs from either, so whatever they are on sale at I'll take as their final price.

I'll probably end up buying both eventually a few years down the line for one reason or another as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #155
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I used Home once....just to get a Dust beta key....
What do you think of Dust?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #156
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
What do you think of Dust?
I like it. I can have a love/hate relationship with it. It takes a while to get used to and not playing it a while can really make it difficult to get into. I played it about a week ago after not playing it for a couple of months and was kinda getting owned but after a while I got better. You really have to stick to it seems to get good at it.

Although I like gaining currency while not even playing the game. Or whatever its called.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #157
SentinelMind
Banned User

This is the first game console extravaganza (I mean unveiling) I've ever watched...and I must say...I was moderately amused, but not blown away by anything in that drawn out presentation and expect Microsoft to pound Sony in few weeks.

Review:

When it comes down to it, customers are only going to care about the following few things when deciding which game system to choose:

1. Price
2. User interface/convenience/customer service
3. Games

Barring any technological glitch in their game system, nobody is really going to care that PS4 is marginally faster than New XBox.

Sony, as an electronics company, has clearly learned to update their software and online experience to match their hardware acceleration. When it comes down to it, software creating success and dominance in electronics and technology industry. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Ebay, and Amazon has shown that software simplicity and user experience are critical component to expanding market share for your service. You want to see a case of narrow-mindedness leadership, look at Dell Computers which had its run but is now trying to go private or HP computers. Software matters, not just computing chips and RAM.

It is true PSN now offers services for free that XBL charges..but you have to consider XBL offered those apps and services (Netflix, Amazon Instant, etc)..several months earlier than PSN did. Sony was caught off guard with expanding the online user experience component and really had to play catch up in a way not to alienate current Playstation customers (think Netflix price hike)

There have been several rumors that Sony will start charging for Playstation World service....and Sony had done nothing to dispel this rumor lately. If it is true that many of the online basic services on PS4 will now require subscription, then Sony has given away one of few selling points their game system has left over Microsoft. I think their silence on this and price of their console is deafening. Microsoft charging for XBox Live is status quo and has already endured any negative feedback. Sony forcing that with PS4 will create a image of conceding defeat and require them endure backlash and subdued negative press releases in near future.

While I didn't expect Sony to release their price of their new console at this point, what bothers me is how Sony is creating impression that users are going to be penny pinched and nickle and dimed in the very near future of this console release. Possible charging for Playstation World. System not backwards compatible. While I like that you can stream old Playstation 1, 2, and 3 games...there is no word on whether current owners of PS3 disk (or even PS3 streamed games!!) will have to rebuy the games for next system. Your PS3 streamed games cannot carry over to new console? Do you have to rebuy games you currently own to enjoy experience of one console? Lot of vague answers from these Sony execs really raise doubt to their commitment to creating a streamlined user experience for the casual consumer (not just gamer) of Sony products.

You can bet that Microsoft is going to use the Apple/Amazon model of saving your previous purchases on cloud somewhere for their new console. They have committed far too much in XBox Live, Windows 8, Bing, etc..to just just replace it at new console unveiling.

I think their controller and sharing feature together created the main highlight of the event. I personally don't care about sharing your game experience, but there a lot of viewers who will want create internet memes and youtube viral videos. It's good Sony has invested in acquiring a cloud gaming company and will start make its presence on tablets and phones.

However, does anyone really think Microsoft can't compete in this area? Zune (now Xbox Music), Xbox Movies, Bing...they have nothing to be afraid of. I don't know if they can store last 30 minutes of game playing, this is certainly something Microsoft can build in several months, even if not at release.

While the number of apps on both systems will merge together...Microsoft will continue to have edge in online user interface. Has Sony discussed even possible making a browser for Playstation World? Internet Explorer is enough reason to be confident that Microsoft will continue to have advantage in next
generation.

Sony...when it comes to games...they have more exclusives. Not Halo or Gears...but Final Fantasy (whenever the next one happens)...and other great developers. No argument there that Sony has a edge over Microsoft in exclusive developers. However, did Sony make a compelling reason to buy a PS4 at launch instead of waiting until early-mid 2014? Nope..

Blizzard teaming up with Sony is cool...but to release a game that's been out for a year (that's been badly reviewed)....and on top of that is coming to PS3 as well? Ok...

The best games shown...will not only multi-platform...some can even be played in current generation! Destiny....Watch Dogs...

Sony's most exciting exclusive is Killzone....so if you love that bloody FPS series, then you must get a PS4 on first day. Otherwise...it seems like you can wait a couple months.

So they have a long-term edge, but they can't capitalize that on release. That puts more pressure on setting price at release.

I don't know how much New Xbox will be priced. Per unit, the two consoles probably will cost the same as the capacity of the two companies merge. What hasn't been discussed is how Microsoft may try create package your Xbox that will make it cheaper for you in the beggining. Consider that Microsoft has considered teaming up with cable companies to offer reduced price consoles in past. What if they offer to sell their new Xbox at a reduced price while requiring a subscription to maybe a phone company, internet service, or cable company. Even if you argue that it will be more expensive to get the subscription....price is based on perception...not reality...people will consider paying less now. Microsoft's goal now is to get the xbox's in the living room as quickly as possible....and worry about the rest later.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24082...ts_roster.html
http://bgr.com/2013/02/05/microsoft-...nstant-316618/

Grade: 2 out of 4 stars....some nice eye candy here and there...but nothing to knock Microsoft out of the ring..

Last edited by SentinelMind; 02-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #158
SentinelMind
Banned User

Pretty solid assessment of Sony's obsession with hardware here:

http://blogs.forrester.com/james_mcq...its_the_future

Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #159
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Ok...Maybe I'm crazy...But I have this strange feeling that if there are indeed two SKU's, both 399 and 499 respectively, that the higher priced model could be packaged with a Vita...

More so if they plan on marketing the Vita as the MUST OWN PS4 add on.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #160
SentinelMind
Banned User

I hope so...because no price cut for Vita...wow...nickle and diming your base..wow..Sony..wow

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...n-u.s--report/

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #161
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Ok...Maybe I'm crazy...But I have this strange feeling that if there are indeed two SKU's, both 399 and 499 respectively, that the higher priced model could be packaged with a Vita...

That would be interesting. Because that reliable source that was right about everything in terms of specs said there was 2 SKU's at 400/500. If that was the case wow. We shall see soon enough.

Gametrailers had a great podcast about it, and really talked about how it was all about games games games. And that is what Sony needed to do. That may help in a way the Vita sales I guess lol. Though I know Sony is happy now that the PS3 is outselling the 360 worldwide. I'm sure they are hoping they can up those sales with Vita. Because as you said before going against Nintendo in the handheld world is a challenge and a half.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #162
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
I hope so...because no price cut for Vita...wow...nickle and diming your base..wow..Sony..wow

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...n-u.s--report/
Yes because MS does not nickle and dime. *cough Xbox Live* P2P play should never cost you money. If they had dedicated servers...okay. But not for basic online play.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #163
Havok83
Side-Kick

Packaging a Vita in a bundle for only $100 more seems like it would cost more than putting that towards PS3 BC. That just sounds like ALOT of money lost, especially since it would entail selling the vita at a $150 discount

Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #164
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Packaging a Vita in a bundle for only $100 more seems like it would cost more than putting that towards PS3 BC. That just sounds like ALOT of money lost, especially since it would entail selling the vita at a $150 discount
It's not just the money though Havok as Soapy explained earlier. It's also that it would make the hardware bigger, run hotter require more tech on it. That is why the PS3 original was so flipping huge. It was like a Piano mixed with a BetaMax lol.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #165
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post

I doubt it....what message would that send to current owners..

"thanks for buying it quickly ...but yeah..you just wasted $200 dollars...but thanks for your loyalty."

If the two SKU's exist ..mostly just more disk space...or extra controller(s)...

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #166
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
It's not just the money though Havok as Soapy explained earlier. It's also that it would make the hardware bigger, run hotter require more tech on it. That is why the PS3 original was so flipping huge. It was like a Piano mixed with a BetaMax lol.
The PS3 wasn't huge bc the PS2 chip (which wasn't really big at all). Even after it was removed, the system remained big and didn't shrink until they were able to shrink some of the essential components like the power supply in the system and include a much more efficient processor which ran cooler. That stuff wasn't attributed to PS2 BC

Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #167
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

It'd be awesome IF a 2nd controller is bundled in IF there's two launch consoles,A head set is confirmed and that's great But having 2 new PS4 controllers out of the box would be perfect.

I'm guessing a headset and free PS+ subscription for a month will be it for the t priced console..Which would be awesome But I'd Just prefer an extra controller

Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #168
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I've used Gaikai back before Sony bought them out. They used to be able to let you stream and play PC games like The Witcher 2 through your web browser using Java. It worked better back then than I expected, though the use of video compression was obvious (just like Netflix). The tech is only going to get better.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #169
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I've used Gaikai back before Sony bought them out. They used to be able to let you stream and play PC games like The Witcher 2 through your web browser using Java. It worked better back then than I expected, though the use of video compression was obvious (just like Netflix). The tech is only going to get better.
So Gaikai was strictly streaming and no downloading?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #170
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
That's good to hear and I bet this partnership with Sony is easily their biggest endeavor yet.

They hit the motherload with this one.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #171
JaD
Thriller Night

I wonder if your PSN account will carry over to PS4, along with trophies.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #172
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Considering they are making the point to tell us that our purchases and saved games won't transfer over, I'm thinking we'll have to make new accounts.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #173
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

So I just found out a headset comes with the PS4...That makes my gaming day, lol.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #174
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Considering they are making the point to tell us that our purchases and saved games won't transfer over, I'm thinking we'll have to make new accounts.
Its hard to say because the link between PS3 and PS4 strangely is the Vita. I truly believe that Sony released the Vita with the mindset that it function primarily with the PS4. They even said early in the conference that more would be unlocked in the coming months, which to me says there will be things that the Vita will do with the PS4 that it simply couldn't do with the PS3 because of the tech.

But still, Sony kept the same trophy system and eventually made it so you can see them on the same list on the PS3. So its hard to say they'll completely scratch everything when they'll still have the Vita, which is also part of the future for them, using the same stuff from the past.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #175
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

This news pleases me.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...on-4-game.aspx

Closed Thread