The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #426
roach
I am the night

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't know how Kevin Clash looks to you, but he clearly isn't asian. Yet we had him with an asian accent as Splinter in the first movie. And my comment is more directed at your question why a rat turned humanoid would have an asian accent. Which, btw, was the exact same origin used in the first Movie.

A rat is a pet for several years of a japanese Ninjutsu Master. So he probably picked up the accent, just like he picked up the mad ninja skills.
But just because something was done in the first movie doesn't mean they are gonna keep doing it. Also when the first movie came out we weren't so PC about race as we are now.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #427
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 3

So we are just going to ignore everything else that came after? 3 sequels, countless cartoons, games. Now, in 2013, we are suddenly so PC that a mutated rat, with an asian accent, is too touchy a subject? Especially with Bay producing, who likes his racist humor?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #428
roach
I am the night

Why should they be beholden to a cartoon? That's like saying every Batman movie has to be like the 60's tv show.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #429
jacobed
Banned User

Definitely a weird choice but he's barely ever been played by an Asian actor so I don't see the dilemma. Just more complaining because for some reason is the cool thing to do

Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #430
Nathan

Point is, you asked a question, I gave a reasonable answer. You just keep arguing with why? Why? And why?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #431
Wheels
HR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The 'four names' shouldn't be a negative because it's irrelevant; they're gonna be CGIed after their motion performance anyway. In fact, I liked the fact that they're all mostly unknown and supposedly, decent character and comedic actors.

And I don't think Arnett will be Shredder. The reality is, if he is indeed Shredder, then it's a big warning sign. (No offense, Mr. Arnett.)

If in the next few weeks, we don't get a casting of Shredder, then yeah, this could be a problem. Personally, I still think Arnett is going to play Krang.
Hahaha Shedder could be a whiny tool like the 80's cartoon. Arnett could do that.It wouldn't surprise me if they go full blown self-parody here. I'd rather have that than them trying to make a straight forward TMNT film and doing it badly

Of course the best option is a good straight forward TMNT film, but I'm just spitballing here.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #432
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Point is, you asked a question, I gave a reasonable answer. You just keep arguing with why? Why? And why?
The answer you gave me basically boils down to: that's the way it's always been done. That doesn't work in Hollywood.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #433
Nathan

What it boils down to, is that you have the weird notion that a rat knowing martial arts is somehow less unrealistic, than it having an asian accent. And the first answer I gave you, was that he acquired both for the exact same reason. Being a pet of a japanese Ninjutsu Master. It's ok that he knows how to use swords and staffs just by watching, but picking up an accent by listening to someone is out of the question.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #434
Octoberist
point blank

As an Asian-American, if Danny doesn't have an Asian influenced accent, I would be saddened. It doesn't have to be strong either; Kevin Clash's Splinter or heck, Splinter from the original cartoon sounded fine and not stereotypical.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #435
Nathan

What actually worries me is that they might have chosen him because of his size. We know they use motion capture on this. So there probably won't be a rat doll somewhere that he's just voicing over. So will we get a tiny, waist high Splinter in this?

Last edited by Nathan; 04-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #436
Octoberist
point blank

That would be interesting if he's weight high, while the Turtles themeselves look to be 5'8 and above. Weird but interesting.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #437
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Whatever accent Splinter has will indicate his background in terms of being raised in Japan or the US and how much influence it had on his life.

As far as height goes, I dont think it's a factor since we are dealing with mocap. Though, I think it would be weird if we had 6 foot turtles this time around or anything like that. But, with Splinter it'll be interesting since dwarfs move differently from the average person. Compare Splinter's actor to an average kid of the same height and you can easily notice the difference.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #438
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Hmm I'm not sure Danny would even do the mocap for splinter. Just let him voice and get a stunt guy to do the mocap

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #439
Marvin
Side-Kick

The silhouette of a waist high grand master flanked by his taller young students is fine. Last I recall, unlike splinter, the turtles and splinter were exposed to the mutagen at very different stages in their lives. What's more, reptiles such are turtles are known to be immortal in a way....point being, Splinter being small is cool by me.

Any change to the status quo the producers make here is going to be met with any thing but an objective response it seems. It's like if they revealed that the turtles were just egg's when they were exposed...that in itself would warrant dismay. Funny enough they already may have made the ultimate botch up...they may not be terrestrial but rather, earth raised aliens in that Superman/Goku vain....that changes everything we love about this series somehow....

Much like the 2007 animated flick, and the early ep's of the new series, I don't think shredder will be all that featured. I'm even thinking post credit scene at this point. This will be all aliens, the producers have already mentioned avengers type of direction, and there will be lots of running through the streets. I just hope it's not done at night. CG shines in the day(ala district 9).
Thus I believe Arnett might be in a krang type of invasion role.
Something like "I think my boss in an alien" type of thing, this allows April to be more featured and pulls her towards the turtles.

Bay (when he directs), doesn't do "racist" humor, Paul Mooney does "racist" humor. People just feel the need to extrapolate where they will.
If splinter does have an "asian accent" and makes one joke at his own expense...and has a fu man choo(all seen in the first movie)....Church bells will ring cause Bay will have topped himself in the racism dept, meanwhile hangover and all these other films are doing the same thing ten times over

Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #440
roach
I am the night

Quote:
What it boils down to, is that you have the weird notion that a rat knowing martial arts is somehow less unrealistic, than it having an asian accent. And the first answer I gave you, was that he acquired both for the exact same reason. Being a pet of a japanese Ninjutsu Master. It's ok that he knows how to use swords and staffs just by watching, but picking up an accent by listening to someone is out of the question.
I never mentioned realism. I am arguing that because it was done before doesnt mean its going to happen in this movie.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #441
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I'm not sure how they're going to portray him, but I would like to see a physically imposing badass Splinter that looks like he could take down the foot alone like in the new series, than the Yoda like Splinter I'm imagining this one will be.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #442
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I'm not sure how they're going to portray him, but I would like to see a physically imposing badass Splinter that looks like he could take down the foot alone like in the new series, than the Yoda like Splinter I'm imagining this one will be.
How would you describe the original live action one?

I'm assuming the new animated one is more the former.
I'm personally not a fan of a uppity splinter, always makes me wonder why he's not out there with the teens handling business, I like what th original did.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #443
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'm personally not a fan of a uppity splinter, always makes me wonder why he's not out there with the teens handling business, I like what th original did.
Well, that's easily explained. The boys need to learn and gather experience. And they are trained well enough not to have their master constantly watch over them. He would only interfere when the need arises. And it would be great if at one point, he takes out a group of Foot Ninjas all by himself.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #444
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

As long as he has a good voice for splinter I'm not worried. I'd like a short splinter actually

Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #445
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, that's easily explained. The boys need to learn and gather experience. And they are trained well enough not to have their master constantly watch over them. He would only interfere when the need arises. And it would be great if at one point, he takes out a group of Foot Ninjas all by himself.
The boys are trained enough to not need to go out as a team either but they do. There's no accounting for safety. In the current series, splinter is the ultimate badass, and he sits around all day smelling flowers....in the meantime the turtles are handed their asses and almost their lives on many a night.
Shredder all but killed them twice by my count and all splinter says is, be weary of him.

There's something to be said for the master sitting at home with a blanket over his old knees. I just feel it's more "controlled" that way.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #446
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
How would you describe the original live action one?

I'm assuming the new animated one is more the former.
He was definitely past his prime in the original movies. And wondering why he's not out there with his sons is pretty easy to explain through character development. In the new series after Shredder whoops the turtles, Splinter becomes extremely protective of them, not wanting them to expose them to Shredder's ass kicking ways again.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #447
Nathan

I think in the 2k3 cartoon he was also extremely cautious. Not wanting to attract attention to him and his sons, and telling them not to engage the Shredder. Of course the boys ignored that order.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #448
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I assume they don't have Splinter do much in the new toon since they'll save it for some ultimate confrontation with Shredder in a future episode. What's he like in the current comics? Is it like the 2k3 toon?

Splinter staying home because he was old made more sense to me growing up. Not that he wasn't able to fight, but he wouldn't be able to keep up with his sons in terms of energy, strength, etc.

Or I guess there's that whole mystique aspect as route that could be taken. Much like Yoda in the original films where you could think he was so good, he didn't need to move much.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #449
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

I was a little harsh to call this reboot 'a rape of my childhood' yesterday, I'll admit, but I just am so disappointed by how this movie is shaping up so far. I see Danny Woodburn using a New Yorker accent than an Asian one (I could be wrong) but in all of the videogames, movies, and cartoons and even the ****** "Next Mutation", Splinter has always had an Asian accent.

Raph has always been the one to have the thick New Yorker accent, Mikey the surfer Californian accent, and Donny and Leo no accents.

I'd HATE to see Will Arnett as Shredder but if he was Krang or a Triceraton, or heck a reporter at Channel 6 or April's boss I'd be fine with it, but the track record for this movie isn't doing so well.

They're going to have to really step it up with reveals of the looks, a teaser trailer, or better casting.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #450
roach
I am the night

Why do it the same way everyone else did?

Closed Thread