Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #301
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 5

More...

Quote:
How are you preparing for Season 2 now?

AMELL: Gosh, we just wrapped Season 1, like 45 minutes ago! I’m going to go away to relax. I’m not necessarily tired at a superficial level. I’ve been getting decent amounts of sleep. I had two days off, during the finale. And I had a couple of days where I was just in a big scene, not all the big scenes. But, I think I’m structurally tried. I need to unwind a little bit. When it comes time for Season 2, I just know that, even if it’s a bigger season, which it will be, and it’s more physically demanding, which it will be, and it’s more fast-paced, which it will be, it will never be as hard as Season 1. The producers did a really good job this year, molding the rest of our cast into people that can carry episodes at a time. I don’t think any part of the fan base would complain, if all of a sudden, we announced that we were going to have a Diggle-centric episode. I think people would be legitimately excited. David [Ramsey] has earned the right for that, and I hope he gets it. And I don’t even want to single him out. So, I would like to think that Season 2 will be a little bit more like the finale of Season 1, where so many people have important storylines and so many things are coming to fruition that, while I am busy, it won’t be non-stop.

Where will the Arrow cave trio be left, at the end of this season?

AMELL: By the time we get to the finale, we get to see Diggle, Felicity and Oliver as a fully functioning, no hierarchy, all in it for each other team. It took Oliver five years to turn into what he was when he showed up in the pilot episode. And the producers have always said that, as much as fans want to see Katie [Cassidy] put on fishnets and immediately turn into Black Canary, that would disservice what we tried to prove with Oliver’s storyline. It takes time. So, we’re getting to see these characters evolve. With Diggle and Felicity being privy to this world, we’re going to continue to see them become more and more capable.

Do you feel like there’s no hierarchy with the island storyline as well, by the end of the season?

AMELL: There is a lot of synchronicity between Shado, Slade and Oliver, and Diggle, Felicity and Oliver.

In the middle of the season, Oliver had it out with his mom, but then things settled down between them. How will her involvement with The Undertaking become an issue?

AMELL: At the end of Episode 14, Oliver said specifically, “We don’t know what The Undertaking is, and until we do, she is off limits.” We’re going to find out what The Undertaking is soon, and if she’s involved, it’s not going to just go quietly into the night. So much of the season has just been people with facades. There’s the one that Oliver puts up for his family, the one that Moira puts up for her family, and the one that Malcolm puts up for Tommy. All of those, towards the last two episodes, just melt away because danger is so perilously close. So, we get to see characters interacting in a way that they haven’t, all season.

Do you think Oliver will move out of his mom’s house, anytime soon?

AMELL: God, I hope so! Even if the season ends with them skipping down the yellow brick road together, and they’re happy-go-lucky, he’s 30 years old and needs to get his own apartment.

There are various possibilities for who could be Arrow’s sidekick. Is there any chance it could end up being both Thea and Roy, and just having a big team of people helping him out?

AMELL: Of course! Things just continue to get bigger and bigger. Before the start of the second episode, you’d be wondering if Oliver would let anyone know his secret. Now, he’s let 5 people know. One of them didn’t survive, so there are four people that exist in the world, right now, who know his secret, let alone people that may be lurking around from the island, that know what he’s been up to. I don’t think it would be responsible to have any sort of cap on the size of the team that he will use or might need.

Will viewers see any more heroes that might be out there?

AMELL: There is a wonderful tease at the beginning of the finale, with respect to origins that Oliver has, that we don’t know about yet, that have happened after the conclusion of Season 1 on the island and certainly before the beginning of the pilot. It’s some really cool stuff.

How much of a cliffhanger will there be in the season finale?

AMELL: Please let people know that Episode 22 is not our season finale. There is enough in Episode 22, both in the present and on the island, that you could just say, “Okay, that’s it! I need a break until October.” The totality of the island sequences in the season finale, the final scene of the season and the penultimate showdown, however that happens, were shot in the last three days. And the cliffhanger is significant.

Is there a chance that not everyone will come our of Season 1 alive?

AMELL: There’s always a chance. It is Season 1. Really crazy stuff is happening, and no one is ever safe.

Will viewers be left to ponder anyone’s fate, over the summer?

AMELL: No.

Arrow airs on Wednesday nights on The CW. Click here for all our past coverage.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #302
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Hope I'm not the only who tonight's episode was amazing. We got to see a awesome confrontation between Deadshot and Diggs. An epic fight between Mr. Blank and Ollie plus Roy had some good stuff too. My only complaint is not about the story but a character C'MON TOMMY fight for the girl if you love her.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #303
Frico
Live by the creed

Tonight's episode is definitely on my list of faves/one of the best of the season. I thought Mr. Blank was great and the stuff with Roy actually got me excited for what's to come between he and Ollie. No complaints really. Deadshot was also awesome again.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #304
greenlantern248
Side-Kick

I also thought tonights episode was amazing cant wait for next week

Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #305
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #306
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Hey!!what did Yao fa ( is that how you write that dudes name) say at the end when he arrived with all the henchmen to get Oliver and the rest in last night's episode? i couldnt understand anything that dude said!

and i dug how Roy has the red hoodie thing going on like Oliver that was cool!!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #307
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

"I didn't"
and
"Your time on this island is at an end"

Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #308
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://collider.com/arrow-emily-bett...rds-interview/

Quote:
Emily Bett Rickards Talks ARROW, Becoming a Series Regular, Creating Her Characterís Backstory, Felicityís Involvement Going Forward, Fandom and Romance

by Christina Radish Posted: April 24th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

With just three episodes left until the Season 1 finale of The CW drama series Arrow, things are about to get epic, and there are sure to be twists and turns and shocking reveals, as everything is coming to a head. With life-threatening decisions, extreme danger, sacrifices and huge life questions, not everyone might make it out alive.

During this recent exclusive interview with Collider, actress Emily Bett Rickards (who plays IT girl extraordinaire, Felicity Smoak) talked about her journey this season, what it was like to go from being hired to do one episode to getting bumped up to series regular, how she created her characterís backstory, how much more involved Felicity will get before the end of the season, what sheíd like to learn about her character in Season 2, that sheíd love to get more involved in the action, why she thinks people are rooting for a romantic relationship between Felicity and Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell), aka Arrow, and which villain sheíd love to see Felicity come face-to-face with. Check out what she had to say after the jump, and be aware that there are some spoilers.

Collider: You got the news that the show was picked up for a second season, and that you would be bumped up to a series regular. What has this journey been like for you?

EMILY BETT RICKARDS: Itís grand, in all senses of the word. Itís fantastic, and Iím elated. Itís also a big deal. I just feel really honored that I get to explore the character for a little longer. Thatís the dream. I actually get to live a character. I have to say goodbye to her for a little bit. Iím on break from her for three months, but I havenít really said goodbye. Sometimes I find myself shopping and Iím trying something on thatís so not me. Itís weird.

It must also be exciting to know youíll get to explore some of the things there wasnít time for in Season 1.

RICKARDS: Oh, absolutely! Even half-way through the season, Iíd learned so much about her. And now that Iíve finished the season, I learned more things about her, and learned things about myself, too. Itís so interesting. Itís a psychological trip, really. Itís awesome!

What are you hoping to learn about Felicity, in Season 2?

RICKARDS: Iím excited to learn more about her backstory. I have my own, but itís not necessarily valid. Iím excited to learn about her family life. I hope that will come into play, in the second season.

Were you told any of her backstory, or did you just come up with one yourself?

RICKARDS: No, I do it for myself, just so I know. I do certain things. Iím always interested to meet my friendsí parents, or who they were raised by. Where they grew up, I always find very interesting. So, the big things I went through were, ďMaybe her parents did this. What makes her socially awkward? Why was she always into computers? Why was she drawn to technology? Was she bullied? Did she like high school? Did she go to college? Where did she go to college?Ē I do that sort of thing, which can always change. And whether or not the location changes or her experience might change, she became who she is in the show, and I think that thereís always a way to connect it and find the map.

If you create your own backstory like that, is it difficult to lose some aspects of that, that turn out to not be a part of who she is?

RICKARDS: Itís interesting. I havenít had the experience of losing something that Iím attached to. Itís more about adding to it, like sheís allergic to nuts or sheís afraid of kangaroos.

Was there a moment when you realized that Felicity Smoak was such a fan favorite character?

RICKARDS: I was told, ďOh, sheís a fan favorite,Ē and I was like, ďOh, thatís nice!Ē But, I still donít know what it means. Iím beyond grateful, and itís awesome. I love her. Iím just glad other people love her, too. Thatís huge for me, to be able to help create or to symbolize a strong, intelligent woman that people like. I think thatís really important. I was just excited when they brought me back for a second episode. And then, they brought me back a third time and I was like, ďOh, this is really nice of them!Ē I was so excited to go back and work with people I really like.

When you originally auditioned, was it just for one episode?

RICKARDS: Yeah. I auditioned for Episode 3. I had two scenes in that. So, I just went in for one day, and people were kind enough to bring me back.

What can you say to tease whatís to come for Felicity, in the remaining episodes?

RICKARDS: Things are going to get a little more rocky. There will be some turbulence. Buckle your seatbelt, everybody. The episodes are big. The last two episodes are massive with extreme danger. Theyíre full of life-threatening decisions and sacrifice and huge life questions. We get to see Felicity out in the field again, before the season ends. We get to see her sort of meet other characters, but not really. And I think whatís really interesting with Felicity is that, in each episode, she shrugs off one more restriction that was keeping her held back. By Episode 23, you see her just completely involved and exhausted. She just canít go back.

Do you think she enjoys getting out in the field, or is she reluctant about having to do that?

RICKARDS: I think itís an enjoyable challenge, and a dangerous challenge. Thereís things she can do without people holding guns. Iím sure she could do without that. There are huge amounts of fear. But, I think she does enjoy it. It takes her out of her comfort zone, which we all enjoy, to a certain extent. It takes her out from behind a computer. Being in crowded situations is not exactly her forte.

Would you personally like to get more involved with the action?

RICKARDS: Absolutely! I love doing that. I was always very physical, growing up, and did sports. I like to get out and do different things, and walk in different shoes. I like change. I like challenge.

Felicity has brought a really fun female energy, especially when sheís in the Arrow cave with Oliver and Diggle. Is it fun to get to do those scenes, with the three of you together?

RICKARDS: Yeah. David [Ramsey] and Stephen [Amell] are hilarious to work with. I really have to brush up on my sports intelligence, as me, Emily, because theyíre super educated in sports. But, we always have so much fun in the foundry. Itís usually foundry Fridays. Itís changed a little bit, but working in the foundry is always fun. We have a blast! The scenes become really organic and they flow now because weíre really used to being in there. Each director has a different view of the foundry, and different angles and things, so itís interesting. Felicity is behind the desk, a lot of the time, so I like it when sheís up and moving around. In ďThe Odyssey,Ē when she picked up the bow, that was a great episode for Felicity. I like exploring, especially being and getting more comfortable with a character and in the space a character is always in. You see her coat on the table because sheís there all the time. What comes with comfortability express itself not only in the environment, but with the relationships, as well. Sheís probing at them. Sheís like, ďHave emotions! Feel connected to something, anything, at all!Ē I think thatís something sheís teaching them, and theyíre teaching her to become more fearless and to have balls.

Are you surprised that people are rooting for a romantic relationship between Oliver and Felicity?

RICKARDS: Iím not surprised. Sheís the underdog, and everyone likes an underdog. People arenít not rooting for Laurel and Oliver. Thereís the tension. Everybody likes the tension. The scenes Oliver and Felicity have together are always honest. He doesnít have to hide anything from her, which is spectacular.

Is there a villain that youíd love to see Felicity have to go up again, just to see how she gets out of it?

RICKARDS: Yes, Deadshot! I would love to see how she deals with that. What if she kills Deadshot? How awesome would that be?! No, that will never happen! That would just be like, ďWhoops, I did it, Diggle!Ē I think that would be really cool. Iíd like to see her come face-to-face with a villain. You do see something happen, but it would be awesome, if she could get together with Deadshot. That would be hilarious! That would be great!

Arrow airs on Wednesday nights on The CW. Click here for all our Arrow coverage.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #309
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroNaz View Post
"I didn't"
and
"Your time on this island is at an end"
Thanks Retro!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #310
Tvar10
I aim to misbehave...

Anyone know of any Arrow merchandise? I want some figures. I hope they come out eventually

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #311
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Amazing episode tonight! Quite a bit is revealed. The rescue/action sequence at the end was awesome.

The Raid anyone? lol

Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #312
DrDoom
Dictator

Thought that was the same as the raid lol

So they are just using the plot from Batman Begins?

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #313
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Well if your going to steal stuff you may as well steal from the good stuff

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #314
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

As long as they don't weaponize vertigo with a microwave macguffin I'm fine with it.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #315
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
As long as they don't weaponize vertigo with a microwave macguffin I'm fine with it.
If they're smart, they'd use an oven instead.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #316
Donut
Side-Kick

How about if the bomb goes off & Oliver hides in a fridge also for protection. Somehow he should be running on roof tops with monkeys also

Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #317
DarKush
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Well if your going to steal stuff you may as well steal from the good stuff
Exactly

Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #318
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Amazing episode tonight! Quite a bit is revealed. The rescue/action sequence at the end was awesome.

The Raid anyone? lol

I knew that looked familiar, couldn't place it though.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #319
georgec
Not a hero

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #320
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Oh god that was so stupid, why would you do something like that when there's a schmuck swinging a knife at you?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #321
georgec
Not a hero

I like how Thea is just standing there one foot from the guys with the knives, not really protecting herself or backing away.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #322
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

She's too busy checking out Roy's b****in moves.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #323
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Oh god that was so stupid, why would you do something like that when there's a schmuck swinging a knife at you?
Rule of Cool. About 90% of the fighting we see on television are unrealistic, impractical and wouldn't work in real life. What you saw is just one of many such examples on the show and virtually every action oriented show in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I like how Thea is just standing there one foot from the guys with the knives, not really protecting herself or backing away.
So... you're complaining that she's behaving realistically? She was probably shocked and stunned as to what to do; which what happens in real life, more often than not. Most of the time, people don't know how to react when a fight suddenly breaks out in front of them.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 05-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #324
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
So... you're complaining that she's behaving realistically? She was probably shocked and stunned as to what to do; which what happens in real life, more often than not. Most of the time, people don't know how to react when a fight suddenly breaks out in front of them.
I'm not "complaining", just making a joke and having fun. Lighten up. gohei and DarkSovereignty saw the humor in the gif, after all.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #325
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I wish I could pull of zero G breakdancing like that, I would probably die tough.

Closed Thread