Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #351
Justin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I'm glad you're not writing this show.
Haha, thanks So am I actually.

I read a lot that people don't want Tommy to be a villain, but I'd be really really hugely surprised if he isn't. It looks like they are taking cues from all the superhero movies, and they are the Osborne family.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #352
Nathan

With the exception that Tommy hasn't acted selfish at all, or used knowledge of Ollie to his advantage. He's completely selfless and has taken the high road pretty much all the time. Even telling Laurel she belongs together with Ollie. If they make him a villain, it only works if he has a complete mental breakdown. He's written too well to turn into another villain clishe.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #353
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

The problem is,if they don't turn Tommy into a villain,what do they do with him?He's already run the course with Laurel and Ollie.If he stays "good",his only logical place on the show would be in a minor role as "Laurel's boyfriend" or joining Ollie's already too big "Arrow Stable".

Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #354
Justin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
With the exception that Tommy hasn't acted selfish at all, or used knowledge of Ollie to his advantage. He's completely selfless and has taken the high road pretty much all the time. Even telling Laurel she belongs together with Ollie. If they make him a villain, it only works if he has a complete mental breakdown. He's written too well to turn into another villain clishe.
They've gone the route of having him get closer to his dad though, dumping Laurel while having resentment for Oliver. He doesn't like the vigilante stuff. Laurel even commented "you look just like your father".

I get that people don't want him to turn, that it would be cliched, but this isn't exactly Shakespeare we're watching.

I think they're going to go the route that his dad dies and he wants vengance. It's cliche and typical, but thats the way it looks like its going to me.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #355
Nathan

If he doesn't agree with Ollie's actions, what makes you think he'd follow into his father's footsteps? Especially when he finds out that he has been planning to level the Glades. And if he had so much resentment for Ollie, the last thing he'd do is to push Laurel in his direction. He seems too level headed.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #356
Justin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
If he doesn't agree with Ollie's actions, what makes you think he'd follow into his father's footsteps? Especially when he finds out that he has been planning to level the Glades. And if he had so much resentment for Ollie, the last thing he'd do is to push Laurel in his direction. He seems too level headed.
I think the resentment for Ollie doesn't come because Ollie is a bad person. He pushes Laurel onto Ollie because he knows Ollie is better for her than he is/that she would love Ollie more than she could love him. Thats where the resentment would come from if that makes sense.

They used to be equals, best friends. Now Ollie is a hero, gave him a pity job, took his girlfriend, probably kills his father. He's not going to be happy about it.

Not saying it's the route they should go down. Just saying its the most obvious one.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #357
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
They used to be equals, best friends. Now Ollie is a hero,
A killer in his eyes.

Quote:
gave him a pity job,
A job he asked for, after his father cut him off.

Quote:
took his girlfriend,
He took no one. He tried to remain as friends, Tommy didn't want to take the chance.

Quote:
probably kills his father. He's not going to be happy about it.
And the only reason why he should hate Ollie. And even then, I can't see him become a villain. If he does, he'd have to disappear for several years to train, if he wants to be the next Black Archer.

Quote:
Not saying it's the route they should go down. Just saying its the most obvious one.
The way he's been written so far, it's actually not the most obvious route.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #358
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Yeah, I honestly don't know what they want to do with tommy, his initial presence in the show seemed to lean towards him becoming a dark archer, but then they brought in his dad, so it looked like Norman/ Harry Osborne type thing, but the further they develop his character the least likely it seems for him to become the dark archer without being forced and out of left field. It just doesn't seem in character for him. Which begs the question, why is he in the show?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #359
The Englishman
Marching On Together

I'd rather they kill off Tommy and keep Malcom around, maybe in a coma for a season or 2.

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #360
Nathan

I think I'd like to see Tommy take a hit for Ollie, when the Dark Archer attacks him.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #361
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

I'd rather have Tommy as a villain,than to have him killed off.He'd be a sympathetic villain (which is what I'm sure they're going for)which is something the show doesn't have,for the most part.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #362
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm assuming that if his dad is killed by Oliver in the season finale, Tommy will leave Starling City for a season or two while he's travelling the world meeting the same man his dad met and being trained, then comes back as the second Dark Archer and fights Oliver.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #363
Tzigone
Side-Kick

Quote:
The way he's been written so far, it's actually not the most obvious route.
I agree. I'm not saying they won't make him a villain - I'm saying if it happens soon, it'll be massively out of character and bad writing, IMO. The guy has a big problem with Oliver killing criminals and yet, just because he doesn't like Oliver (or even hates him), he, himself will start killing/harming innocent people?

Not to mention that he has, as I said, taken the high road. He's angry and sad, yes. But his actions have been above-board. He keeps the secret, he doesn't try manipulate Ollie with his secret or blackmail to his own ends. He doesn't try to manipulate Laurel into hating Oliver/the Hood to keep her with him.

Quote:
but the further they develop his character the least likely it seems for him to become the dark archer without being forced and out of left field. It just doesn't seem in character for him.
I very much agree.

Quote:
I think I'd like to see Tommy take a hit for Ollie, when the Dark Archer attacks him.
Me too, but I want Tommy to survive it.

Now, I just really, really hope Oliver is smart enough to reveal the recording to Tommy before attacking Malcolm. If he doesn't, it's just rank stupidity on Oliver's part (since I doubt he plans to be discreet about the Hood going after Malcolm when he does make a move). If Tommy hears the evidence, he will know his father is bad (allowing for some denial, as Oliver had, but Tommy hasn't historically been close with his father, unlike Oliver with Moira). Tommy could understand at least that something had to be done, even if Tommy preferred going to the cops. He might still hate Oliver for killing/trying to kill Malcolm (to me that depends on how much Tommy learns about the Undertaking and if he learns about the boat - another recording he should hear, despite the distorted voice). It could end very very badly for Oliver, since Tommy knows his secret and where his lair is.

However, it'd probably be worse if Tommy didn't know about his father's plans in advance, because then he might think Oliver is trying to kill his father over tax evasion of building-inspector-bribing, or whatnot. He has big issues with the killing, and I don't see him being as willing to listen to a recording of Ollie's after Ollie tries to kill his dad.

I really do think Oliver needs to start with "Tommy, I have something I want you to listen to" and then just play the recordings. Since Oliver's mother is also involved, and Oliver is acting on her guilt, too, Tommy might be more likely listen - it's not just an attack on his own. And they could bond over a shared sense of betrayal/disbelief in their parents.

Ollie talks about how Moira lied to him, lied to Thea. And yet I still somehow think he might end up lying to Tommy and Thea about their respective parents when it comes to this.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #364
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Apparently the possibility of green lantern showing up has been considered by the creators. I would sh** a green will powered brick if this happened...in a good way.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...ppear-on-arrow

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
H.E
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #365
Nathan

That would be pretty awesome. But would it be smart to use the most special effect heavy hero as an cameo?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #366
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

They could do a story where Hal's stranded in starling city with an out-of-juice ring hunted by an alien perp he had been pursuing.

H.E
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #367
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If Green Arrow did show up, then that really opens the door to other super-powered characters. That would change the nature of the show though, unless somehow Green Lantern in this universe isn't powered. Maybe he just uses technology miniaturised into a ring to produce holographic projections. He might be just a special effects wizard. Cue Bryan Brown.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #368
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

or maybe it's Hal before he got the ring... but that'd be kinda disappointing

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #369
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Or... Hal Jordan could just be a normal human with no powers. People, and the article, are drawing conclusions beyond what was said. One should note that Guggenheim did not say "Green Lantern" anywhere but instead commented on the importance "Hal Jordan" played in the Green Arrow comics. On the surface, they might sound the same. However, there is a difference.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #370
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If he does show up, he'll probably be nicknamed "The Ring" instead of Green Lantern, just like "The Hood."

It's almost like the Ang Lee Hulk movie where the army didn't call him "Hulk" but rather "Angry Man". Honestly, which sounds sillier out of "Hulk" and "Angry Man"?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #371
Airwings
Waves of air

It's best if they use Alan Scott and not Hal.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #372
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

...why? Alan Scott has no substantial tie to green lantern...whereas Hal Jordan does.

H.E
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #373
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Is there a spoiler thread/pics from upcoming episodes thread? Just been spoiling myself rotten on the finale and i'm so excited

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #374
Nathan

How did you spoil yourself?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #375
Mikelus
Islander

One thing is showing Hal Jordan sans ring, but showing Green Lantern would contradict their no superpowers, superheroes and aliens approach.

Quote:
Andrew Kreisberg:

“Our show definitely takes place in a much more realistic world. There’s no superpowers, superheroes and aliens.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...n-amell-368929
It seems pointless to show Hal but not Green Lantern, besides, most people don't care about the character anyway. It would be much more interesting to have a member of the bat family for an episode or two, fitting perfectly their realistic approach.

Closed Thread