Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 5

That episode!

That.

Episode.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Not only do we have Ollie revealing himself to Tommy in order to gain his trust to save his father, and Alex Kingston as Laurel's mother making an appearance (I knew she was coming onto the show, but I didn't know it was this early), but we now find out that Sara may still be alive!

And I see that old wounds have reopened with Diggle at the mention of Lawton's resurgence. Should make for an interesting future confrontation between Diggle and Lawton.

Bravo, Mr. Geoff Johns. Bravo.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Very, VERY good episode. I'd love to see a Deadshot/Arrow rivalry. And I'm glad they streamlined Lawton's "eye".

Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Nice one Geoff

Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Show just gets better

Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #30
Liam_H
Side-Kick

On the nose black canary reference for the laugh.

Spill

Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
DarthDorranceBane
Side-Kick

I was asking a link to a site where the producers said that they have plans for the show for up to five years.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Absolutely outstanding episode tonight! What a way to end things going into a brief hiatus! Well done, Geoff!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #33
tbetts14
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
Absolutely outstanding episode tonight! What a way to end things going into a brief hiatus! Well done, Geoff!
when will arrow be back on the air with new episode

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbetts14 View Post
March 20.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #35
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanNeverTells View Post
I was asking a link to a site where the producers said that they have plans for the show for up to five years.
This may help:

Quote:
3. The island flashbacks will continue through the entire series. Flashbacks showing how a callow young rich kid became a lethal crime fighter will be a major part of the show. ďThe Arrow is the only character I can think of who can sustain a 5-year origin story ó because of the island,Ē Guggenheim says. ďThe last episode of the series will be Arrow seeing the [rescue] boat in the pilot.Ē Now thatís proving you know your story ó a producer that will actually tell you whatís in the series finale before the first episode airs!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/10/arrow-democrat/

"Dead to Rights" was Geoff's best episode yet, not predictable, well-written, acted, great direction by Glen Winter (former Smallville Cinematographer). Now Tommy's journey has become much more interesting, he could become the new Dark Archer when Malcolm is killed (by Ollie, Moira?), a lot of tragedy and good drama coming.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I liked Deadshots outfit

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I wish we could have gotten a better look at it.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Celebrity DJ Steve Aoki in the next episode. They should get his sister Devon Aoki to play Lady Shiva on the show. Devon was a pretty badass in Sin City as Miho

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #39
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Show keeps getting better!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
That episode!

That.

Episode.

(...) Alex Kingston as Laurel's mother making an appearance (I knew she was coming onto the show, but I didn't know it was this early), but we now find out that Sara may still be alive!
See, this stuff right here I thought was really lame. It's almost soap opera level. Of COURSE Laurel has parent issues...doesn't everybody in this show? And the mystery mother with a deep, dark secret...

I have no problem with Laurel and her mom having a strained relationship, but let's not make it about something ridiculous.

Sara being potentially alive: Jesus. That's just an awful idea, for a number of reasons. 1) It negates a ton of the conflict between characters already established in the show, particularly with Detective Lance, who's characterization is pretty much, "Argh, my daughter is deeeaaad!" 2) It removes an ounce of Ollie's guilt. 3) If by some chance she is alive, how did she survive and WHY has she been hiding out? She was just a normal kid, so there really is no good reason for her being away.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Sucks that the next episodes is weeks away

Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #42
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
See, this stuff right here I thought was really lame. It's almost soap opera level. Of COURSE Laurel has parent issues...doesn't everybody in this show? And the mystery mother with a deep, dark secret...

I have no problem with Laurel and her mom having a strained relationship, but let's not make it about something ridiculous.

Sara being potentially alive: Jesus. That's just an awful idea, for a number of reasons. 1) It negates a ton of the conflict between characters already established in the show, particularly with Detective Lance, who's characterization is pretty much, "Argh, my daughter is deeeaaad!" 2) It removes an ounce of Ollie's guilt. 3) If by some chance she is alive, how did she survive and WHY has she been hiding out? She was just a normal kid, so there really is no good reason for her being away.
Agreed, liked everything else though

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #43
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbetts14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
March 20.
What? I didn't know this.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:

Did they ever say how long her mom's been gone. If it's been years, I thought it was funny that she still has her phone number. And the sister being alive, I don't know where that'll go.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #45
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://collider.com/geoff-johns-arrow-interview/

Quote:
Geoff Johns Talks ARROW, Writing ďDead to RightsĒ, Ramifications of the Big Identity Reveal, and More

by Christina Radish Posted: February 27th, 2013 at 9:15 pm

The CW drama series Arrow has really proven that itís not afraid to go there. With a hero who often has questionable behavior and villains who sometimes do the right thing, the show has been surprising, in the best way possible. And as its getting closer to the Season 1 finale, the stakes are getting higher and higher, with things promising to get even darker, both with what Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) went through on the island and in his present.

During this recent exclusive phone interview with Collider, DC Comicsí Geoff Johns talked about writing Episode 16, ďDead to Rights,Ē how every single moment of the episode was plotted out before he sat down to write, his collaboration with director Glen Winter (who he also worked with on Smallville), the ramifications the big identity reveal will have in future episodes, that his favorites to write are the action-driven, emotionally-charged scenes, how much he loves the Oliver Queen and Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett) island bromance, how much fun the villains are to write for, and what a celebration it is to already know that theyíll be back for Season 2. Check out what he had to say after the jump, and be aware that there are some spoilers.

Collider: Congratulations, ďDead to RightsĒ was a fantastic episode!

GEOFF JOHNS: Good, Iím glad you enjoyed it! I have to give major props to director Glen Winter and the cast Ďcause Glen really pulled it all together. He just did a phenomenal job on the episode.

When you write such a jam-packed episode, do you feel like a kid in a candy store, or do you get nervous about fan reaction?

JOHNS: You know, I have to be honest, as soon as I knew Glen was going to direct this, I had no fears on anything. For me, I usually work on comics where itís all about collaborating with the artist who takes the visuals off the script to the next level, and Glen is the same way. As soon as I knew Glen was directing it, I had no fears. It was still a challenge to write this script and balance everything out because there are so many reveals. I was very happy with how it turned out Ďcause it feels like a very action-driven episode, but itís got a lot of emotion in it.

When you sat down at the black page or screen to write this episode, did you know all of the big moments and reveals that would be happening, or did some of them come out of where the story took you?

JOHNS: I knew every single moment because we broke the whole story in the writerís room before I went off to script it. I knew every big flagpost was going to happen, and it was massive.

Now that heís wracked up a little group of them now, was there always a plan in place to reveal the Arrow identity to more character, throughout the season?

JOHNS: Yeah, for specific different reasons. Revealing to Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) was by necessity. He wanted to work with them, so he chose to do it. But in this case, itís something that was surprising to everybody. When he revealed it to Diggle and Felicity, it wasnít as surprising. But, this moment took everybody by surprise, including the characters. And the fall-out is very different. With Diggle, it was like, ďOkay, youíre out of your mind, but letís do this.Ē Felicity was like, ďIíll help how I can, but I donít like how youíre going about this.Ē But, theyíre still with him. I think Tommy (Colin Donnell) is going to have an extremely different viewpoint, and Oliver (Stephen Amell) is going to question whether or not he should have done it, in the first place.

How will the big reveal affect the friendship with Tommy and Oliver?

JOHNS: The heartbeat of this episode was this friendship, and itís a real friendship. I think Tommy was as lost as Oliver was, when Oliver was on that island. You see Oliver come back into Tommyís life, and he starts to turn it around. Tommy has a lot of pain and Oliver was always there for him, and then he disappeared. Now, Oliver has come back into Tommyís life, and for Tommy, itís the greatest thing that could have ever happened to him, save for maybe the return of his mother. You can clearly see how important Oliver is to Tommy, and this episode potentially threatens that. Tommy is important to Oliver, too, but he hasnít been able to be truthful with him. He hasnít been able to be himself with him anymore. Things have changed, and heís trying to help his friend, but thereís just so much mystery and secrets between the both. Obviously, this episode will have a lot of fall-out on that. Weíll see it in upcoming episodes.

When youíre writing a show like this, where you have romance, action, character development and big story reveals, where do your strengths lie, as a writer? Do you enjoy finding that balance?

JOHNS: I love finding balance. My favorite thing to do is action-driven, emotionally-charged scenes. If itís not just two people talking in a room, but itís on the move and things are happening and itís chaotic, and emotion comes from the characters and from the action, and the fall-out ultimately changes the character relationships, that exactly the kind of stuff I like writing. I love to tackle that stuff. Itís a challenge, but itís much more fun than doing one or the other. I think empty action leaves you very apathetic. Talky scenes with people who are just stuck in one spot can be visually unstimulating. I give all the credit to Glen Winter, but combining them both is the sweet spot for me.

What is it that you like about working with Glen Winter, as a director, and why do you think the partnership that you have has clicked so well?

JOHNS: It grew organically when we first got hooked up together and we spent a lot of time on set. We had challenges that we had to face and budget constraints and story changes that we thought of. We just clicked together and, ever since then, whenever Iíve been paired with him Ė and Iíve been lucky that this is now the third time weíve done an episode of television together Ė I just feel like Iíve got such a great partner at my side. We have a really open relationship, on a creative level, and I trust him implicitly. He always elevates the work. He always makes the page come alive, in a way thatís more than I could have ever hoped. Itís just creative chemistry, I guess.

How much fun is it to concurrently develop two separate stories on the show, with what happened on the island and whatís happening in the present, and how exciting has it been to see viewers responding to both of those stories equally?

JOHNS: Oh, itís great! I think everybody is very happy with the reaction to the island story and the present-day story, and the fact that the island story helps inform and contrast the journey is going through right now, just makes the show feel all the richer. Thereís an extra layer to the show and to the character. Seeing Oliver on that island, heís so different. Itís fun to see him, day by day, grow into the character he is now, and then seeing the character he is now actually grow into another character. Oliver is at a point in his life where heís trying to have a life and have some relationships outside of his life as Green Arrow.

Did you have any idea how much of a bromance the relationship between Oliver and Slade (Manu Bennett) would turn into?

JOHNS: No, but I love it! Theyíre great! And the fact that we know who Slade is and who he becomes, and that ultimately Green Arrow and Deathstroke are two very important and very different characters, in the greater world at large, at the end of it all, is a lot of fun to watch.

This episode also saw the return of China White (Kelly Hu) and Deadshot (Michael Rowe). How much fun are the villains to write for, and is it always a balance to make sure they donít ever overshadow your hero?

JOHNS: There is because villains are very fun to write, Deadshot in particular. I find him a fascinating character. Iíve written him in the comics quite a bit, and to write him in this version is great fun as well. But, the villains always have to have a point of view and they have to be as human as the heroes. Sometimes the line between villain and hero is very blurred. Look at Slade and Oliver, and even look at Malcolm. Malcolm thinks heís doing the right thing, and maybe he is, on some level, but the consequences of what he wants to do, which hasnít been quite revealed yet, are pretty massive. But, I think his end goal is altruistic and also informed by the death of his wife, so you can understand it and certainly understand him. The characters that have greys are the more interesting characters. The hero who sometimes crosses the line and the villain who sometimes doesnít are just much more interesting.

Did getting the early Season 2 renewal, before this season is even done, allow everyone to breathe a sigh of relief, or is it just business as usual, as far as the plan for the series goes?

JOHNS: Itís more of a celebration. Everyone wants the show to do well, so that everyone can keep working on it Ďcause itís a lot of fun to work on. Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg are fantastic producers and showrunners, and they lead a very, very positive, fun, creative environment to work in and to work with. So, to be able to keep doing that, and working with such a great cast and crew, and create a show thatís this much fun to work on, itís more of a celebration than a sigh of relief. Everybody has stuck to the story. The season is playing out exactly like they wanted it to play out. Iím excited for people to see the last several episodes because theyíre going to be pretty surprised by what happens.

Is there anything you can say to tease where things are headed, for the rest of this season, with the story and characters?

JOHNS: Itís going to get darker before it gets brighter. Thatís about all I can say.

Arrow airs on Wednesday nights on The CW.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #46
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
3) If by some chance she is alive, how did she survive and WHY has she been hiding out? She was just a normal kid, so there really is no good reason for her being away.
Unless she was found by the island soldiers.

Lots of possibilities there. Lots of angles they can take.

Amnesia? Turned into an assassin? Experiments?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:

1.The dead loved one holding back romance is already being used by Diggle. If the end goal is Laurel and Ollie then it might be better if "searching for Sara" becomes something to bind them back together.

2. Lance's drama is just going to evolve. If he has been able to pin all his anger on Sara's death then what will he become once the possibility of her return becomes true.

3. Normal kid? We don't really know who Sara was. Someone willing to bang her sister's boyfriend may not be the most reliable person with a great personality. She cheated death, maybe she just didn't want to come back.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #48
vantheman77
Side-Kick

If anyone should kill Malcolm Merlyn, it should either be Oliver or Tommy.

I hope Dinah's mother becomes the Black Canary and confronts Oliver about Sara.

Glad that Geoff Johns stated that things will get darker. I hope the season finale will see a rematch between Green Arrow and Dark Archer.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
fanboiii
disciple of truth

I really can't see the actress playing Dinah's mom becoming Black Canary. :P

Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #50
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
"Dead to Rights" was Geoff's best episode yet, not predictable, well-written, acted, great direction by Glen Winter (former Smallville Cinematographer). Now Tommy's journey has become much more interesting, he could become the new Dark Archer when Malcolm is killed (by Ollie, Moira?), a lot of tragedy and good drama coming.
That's very interesting...makes me think we won't see Slade present time though. I wonder how they're going to keep the flashback thing fresh through 7-10 seasons though (assuming the show lasts that long).

Closed Thread