The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #301
AZ'sWarmRage
Newbie First Class

Smile Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey guys, long time forum reader. Hope we get the MOS promotion kickstart in March

I recently spent a considerable amount of time laughing my butt off at the 'professional' critics of Cavill and his 'lacking performance' in MOS...despite them saying that everyone loved the film at the screening. So either everyone loved it and easily accepted that he was replaceable, or it just sucked. Which both sound like nonsense considering the grand preparation that has gone into this! The movie will certainly not be entirely carried by Cavill's performance because of the nature of the cast, but I am confident that he will bring the screen presence, visual strength and charisma to the role (even if people still can't take away the beloved image of CR as Supes). That in my opinion makes the screening rumor a bogus one.

Another thing I'm super pumped about is Snyder's straight-out-of-the-comic books style for movie scenes. Expect to see classic storyboards brought to life (I'm thinking of that All-Star Superman Jor-El speech thrown into the narration for the teaser), and epically cool action sequences in a realistic contemporary setting with the shooting they've done. (Cavill's own words).

Also I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but this looks like the kinda action I'm thinking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJ1-trrgqc (especially 1:29-1:33!)

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #302
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez147 View Post
Is this real?

Looks fanmade.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #303
JimJimBinks
A friend

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Before I had a kid I saw every single Pixar movie in the theater, I know a lot of people who don't have kids and did the same thing. The only bad movie Pixar has made is Cars 2. It was critically panned (32% on Rotton Tomatoes) It made $66 Million in it's opening weekend. Knocking Green Lantern out of the #1 spot.
To put that in perspective, Superman Returns, which had a Rotten Tomatoes score of 76% made $52 Million.

The first Cars movie came out 4 weeks before Superman Returns, and it made more on it's opening weekend $60 Million.

The weekend after Superman Returns came out, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 came out, and made $135 Million in its opening weekend.

Right now Disney and Pixar have a pretty good track record against DC/WB. Sooooo don't bet against Pixar.
I'm just hoping MAN OF STEEL has a hell of an opening weekend.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #304
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

You're kidding me, right? That's obviously fanmade.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #305
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Pixar is BIG, yes, and I enjoyed the first Monsters Inc, but the market has been overflowing with these movies for years. And I'm not sure if the more people will go see it just because it's Pixar. But I dunno either.
Maybe it's more about the target-audience, which I imagine is kids and their parents. Dunno how many other would actually go see this in the theater, I mean compared to something like MOS which aims wider.
Pixar may not have been the juggernaut that it was a few years ago, but every new film brings out not only kids and families -- but single adults too. A sizeable number of women turned out for Brave, while nostalgia brought in older folks for Toy Story 3 and Up.

Monsters University, while connected to the original as a prequel, probably won't do as well. I think some folks were turned off by the horrible Cars 2 and unless MU is ridiculously good... it won't make as much as the original did.

I think WB actually made a sound choice in choosing June 14th (even though I would still prefer a spring or later summer release), since its main competition will have already opened and raked in the cash. Aside from Monsters University (and possibly White House Down), everything else is aiming for different audiences.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #306
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I disagree about Monsters University. I think it is going to do very well. The Marketing has been fantastic so far.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #307
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

I've seen the "College commercial" a lot more in theaters than I've seen The Man of Steel trailer that's for sure.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #308
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I think it's going to do the standard Pixar gross of 230-290mil. Which are great numbers of course but not Nemo or Toy Story 3 or Up adjusted for inflation. If the movie is good instead of okay like Brave was maybe it cracks 300mil.

I'm sorry but I'm at 215mil for MOS because the early marketing has been so lackluster. If it picks up I'll go higher.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 02-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #309
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

The marketing should be picking up in late March and I'm sure there will be footage shown at Wondercon.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #310
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Pixar may not have been the juggernaut that it was a few years ago, but every new film brings out not only kids and families -- but single adults too. A sizeable number of women turned out for Brave, while nostalgia brought in older folks for Toy Story 3 and Up.

Monsters University, while connected to the original as a prequel, probably won't do as well. I think some folks were turned off by the horrible Cars 2 and unless MU is ridiculously good... it won't make as much as the original did.
Of course the title has a lot to say as well. The Toy Story-movies and UP are huge hits, but imo feel more universely targeted than the more children-orientated Monster Inc-movies. But yeah, what do I know. I just dont think the prequel will be as big a hit as the original. Not these days.

If the marketing picks up (and it WILL dammit) MOS should stand well above most movies this summer.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #311
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
I've seen the "College commercial" a lot more in theaters than I've seen The Man of Steel trailer that's for sure.
I haven't been to the theaters as much as you, but I haven't seen the Man of Steel trailer on the big screen AT ALL and I've seen the Monsters University College commercial twice.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #312
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimBinks View Post
I haven't been to the theaters as much as you, but I haven't seen the Man of Steel trailer on the big screen AT ALL and I've seen the Monsters University College commercial twice.
YEAH! You're such an ass for having a beautiful wife and baby! Who wants that when you can watch MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVIES?!?!!?!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #313
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
The marketing should be picking up in late March and I'm sure there will be footage shown at Wondercon.
Eh, everybody is saying the marketing should pick up in March, I just can't be as sure as ya'll.

Right now it seems like WB are playing the same game they played with Superman Returns. "If we put the "S" symbol everywhere people will just show up because everybody loves Superman!" Maybe it will pick up in March or April or maybe they will wait until May, who knows what they have planned?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #314
dark_b
Side-Kick

if this was a small studio i would get it. but this is WB. they have the money.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #315
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
if this was a small studio i would get it. but this is WB. they have the money.
WB are marketing the film like it is a sequel. I remember 2006, I'm not falling for the "A Superman movie is a lock to make 300mil because it's Superman!" malarkey. Fool me once and all that. And this is strictly pertaining to it's box office numbers as I think I'm going to enjoy the film.
This movie is not being released in a vacum, Into Darkness and Fast 6 exist.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #316
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ'sWarmRage View Post
Hey guys, long time forum reader. Hope we get the MOS promotion kickstart in March

I recently spent a considerable amount of time laughing my butt off at the 'professional' critics of Cavill and his 'lacking performance' in MOS...despite them saying that everyone loved the film at the screening. So either everyone loved it and easily accepted that he was replaceable, or it just sucked. Which both sound like nonsense considering the grand preparation that has gone into this! The movie will certainly not be entirely carried by Cavill's performance because of the nature of the cast, but I am confident that he will bring the screen presence, visual strength and charisma to the role (even if people still can't take away the beloved image of CR as Supes). That in my opinion makes the screening rumor a bogus one.

Another thing I'm super pumped about is Snyder's straight-out-of-the-comic books style for movie scenes. Expect to see classic storyboards brought to life (I'm thinking of that All-Star Superman Jor-El speech thrown into the narration for the teaser), and epically cool action sequences in a realistic contemporary setting with the shooting they've done. (Cavill's own words).

Also I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but this looks like the kinda action I'm thinking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJ1-trrgqc (especially 1:29-1:33!)
Welcome.

Good call by you for putting quotations around "professional" when talking about those critics. The best approach is to wait and see. Wait and see what you think of it and/or wait and see what identified critics think of it, because only when there is a name attached can you then decide whether or not their critique is worth regarding.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #317
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ'sWarmRage View Post

Welcome to the Hype!

Great post, I totally agree. It's a bit hard to think that Cavill was on WB's radar to play Supes since Returns yet apparently he "sucks" or is "the weak link" in the film, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #318
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Early reviews said said Routh was a great Superman and I disagreed when I saw the film. Generally I think that he is a lousy actor.

For all I know Cavill is mediocre (wouldn't shock me if he were) but it wouldn't be the first time I shrugged my shoulders at a 2000's Superman. The movie surrounding him looks better than the last effort though.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #319
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

First Superman Returns TV Spot came out around May 12th. I still believe the first TV spot makes it's appearance beginning of April, but I can see it starting with March Madness.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #320
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
First Superman Returns TV Spot came out around May 12th. I still believe the first TV spot makes it's appearance beginning of April, but I can see it starting with March Madness.
Late April or Early May seems about right for TV spots to begin.

INTERSTELLAR

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #321
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Late April or Early May seems about right for TV spots to begin.
I choose the sooner date.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #322
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

I don't give two ****s about monsters university

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #323
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I'm sorry, but what's a monsters university ?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #324
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I'm sorry, but what's a monsters university ?
Hell if I know. Your guess is as good as mine...I'm totally confused as to why people are still talking about whatever that is

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #325
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I did about the first one, or rather liked it really well. This one not so much. Looks like more of the same to me, but the GA will probably lap it up.