The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #76
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Nothing in the short term. In the long term it will hopefully serve as a lesson to Roman that he can't just dismiss the fans objections so brazenly in future.

It might also finally wake him up to the idiots he has under him advising him on these things. When Rafa goes, whoever was behind his appointment should go with him.
Okay, it's probably due to being 3am & not fully awake...But I don't understand why the fans are going after Rafa if the real issue is with Roman...

Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #77
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
Okay, it's probably due to being 3am & not fully awake...But I don't understand why the fans are going after Rafa if the real issue is with Roman...
Ok, the fans have been going after Roman every game on 16 minutes with the "There's only one Di Matteo" chant. That one is aimed at him and his board of numpties as much as it Benitez, and I've seen him squirming in his seat when the camera's have caught him with that chant going on. He does not like it.

Same goes with the 'Sign him up' chants for Lampard, and I've also seen Banners aimed at Roman too, so any idea that the fans don't aim any stick at Roman too is just another outsider fallacy.

Benetiz is copping it far more because we have a lot more reason to excuse Roman than we do him.

Yes, the running of the club is infuriatingly chaotic, but Roman has still brought the club more success since he came to the bridge than it had ever seen before. We get frustrated by his decisions, and appointing Benitez pissed us right off, but we also appreciate the considerable good he has done too. Benitez has given us nothing.

Seriously, the only thing that has stopped Chelsea winning more during Romans reign is his own well meaning but often misguided interference and the consistently poor decisions of his inept underlings: From public relations disasters, to loaning out good players while keeping the likes of Torres and Mickel as first team regulars, to woefully misjudged manager appointments like Benitez, they are too often a complete shower.

The sooner he figures this out the better. If the fans protests do finally wake him up to this truth, then that will be the achievement.

Will it work? I don't know, but I do know its at least worth a try.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #78
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Well, the fans surprised me today. They defied expectations and laid off Benetez for the most part, preferring to let it be known who they want next (Jose, not surprisingly).

I figure the smarter ones have perhaps seen through his comments and judged them as I did, and would rather not let him hide behind the fans as an excuse if they don't make the top 4, so knowing he is going for sure the better effort does now lie in cheering for the Special One's second coming (I'm not nearly as sure as the bookies that will happen, but you never know).

Had West Brom managed to steal an equalizer though...

And not a bad performance for the most part. Created plenty of chances, were passing well, and Foster did well for West Brom in goal. In the last 10 minutes though (again...) WBA came on stronger and could have stolen a goal at the death.

Remains to be seen if the fans can keep that restraint up, but I hope they can. He can't go blaming the fans then if we aint in the CL next season.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #79
kit1982
Side-Kick

Well I only caught the end of final score and had the sound muted, but from what I could see apparently 'Arry scored 2 at St.Marys and led QPR to the Premier League title? I mean why else would they need to have the camera's follow him to the dressing room and show dozens of slow motion replays of his celebrations???

Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #80
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

It's also his Birthday....

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #81
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

3 - 0 to Liverpool at half time, Coutinho is looking bloomin tasty so far! big hopes for him

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #82
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
Well I only caught the end of final score and had the sound muted, but from what I could see apparently 'Arry scored 2 at St.Marys and led QPR to the Premier League title? I mean why else would they need to have the camera's follow him to the dressing room and show dozens of slow motion replays of his celebrations???
LOL!

To be fair, its a big win. Honestly any win from QPR from here on out is a big win.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #83
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
It's also his Birthday....
I'm suprised the BBC or Sky haven't released footage of him blowing out his candles yet!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #84
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
I'm suprised the BBC or Sky haven't released footage of him blowing out his candles yet!
They're too busy blowing....well you know.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #85
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Is there a reason why McArthur decided to go with the Phantom of the Opera mask?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #86
kit1982
Side-Kick

Wouldn't it be typical Liverpool to win in this manner today, smash Spurs in their next match then proceed to lose to Southampton and Villa?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #87
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Wouldn't it be typical Liverpool to win in this manner today, smash Spurs in their next match then proceed to lose to Southampton and Villa?
I'm half expecting it to be honest!

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #88
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Good win over Norwich bus services today, great to see Kagawa bag a silky hat-trick of finishes and have a good all round game. Rooney, Carrick and Evra also had good games which is good to see with Real coming up on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
The benefit of being liked by the fans is they are willing to cut the manager more slack (look at Wenger with Arsenal). Most fans know you can't win all the time and most of us knew this season was marking a transition with new players coming in like Hazaard and Oscar, and the absence (and non replacement) of old favourite Drogba. I figured the title might well be beyond them before the season, but to be this far adrift is not excusable.

Bizarrely, and embarrassingly for Roman, he has given Rafa more slack then he ever gave RDM, but we all know he never wanted RDM, and must have agreed to giving the job proper with gritted teeth.
It's hard to figure out what Abramovich wants, he got the CL yet that barely bought RDM any time at all, so is it basically a case that he will eject any manager that has a bad run and move onto the next?

The only reason I can think he's still sticking with Benitez is that even he knows the signal dumping two managers in one season would send out to the potential crop of managers he will go for in the summer.

Quote:
I think Roman's direct input is infrequent at best. Shevkenko for example was all him. They were mates before he came to Chelsea and Roman wanted his buddy even though Mourninho did not. His signing along with Ballack marked the beginning of the end with Jose.

Otherwise I think he just lets the board (Buck and Gourlay primarily) deal with most it, or goes by the word of whatever 'yes man' is flavour of the month.

Torres however does seem to have been another brain fart from Roman himself though: He had apparently admired Torres for some time, not least as he often scored against us, and in spite of his form in his last half season with Liverpool the OTT fee we paid suggests it was Roman who wanted him big time. Based on his form at the time he was not worth that at all.

With Rafa, if the word within the club is true, the chief architect in bringing him to the Bridge was Micheal Elemanu (he had been pushing for him as early as when they got rid of AVB). Whichever idiot it was that thought of him did so soley for Torres benefit. A desperate attempt to chase a busted flush if ever there was one and score points with the man at the top. Roman, not wanting to give up the ghost with his vanity buy, agreed knowing full well what the fans already thought of the idea.

With Torres still struggling, even under the favored Benitez, and Sturridge proving too wasteful too often (least he was getting chances though...), even Roman had to concede we needed another option. They could have recalled Lakuka, who (among others...) is doing very well out on loan, but went with signing Ba only instead.

What they do with Torres after Benetez departs is anyone's guess. He will be on 4 managers and counting who couldn't get the best out of him. Logically it would surely time to call it a day and offload him...but with Roman, who the hell knows?
Interesting, I always got the impression that Roman was very hands on with who was bought. He certainly has made two big errors when it comes to strikers, paying premiums while both were way below their best form, something you usually don't do.

when you look at that chain of events Torres has not just been a bad buy as far as his lack of effectiveness on the pitch goes, but the knock on effect has been disastorous given you were still very much in the hunt for the league when RDM was given the sack.

I can't see anything but you getting rid of Torres along with Benitez in the summer and starting fresh. The big question is will you get Falcao as the papers seem to think it's between Chelsea and Real Madrid for his signature, with City turning their sights to Cavani. Of course you do have Lukaku to come back, he looks very promising and is in double figures for the season at West Brom.

Quote:
your 'Arry rants are a highlight of the thread Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
3 - 0 to Liverpool at half time, Coutinho is looking bloomin tasty so far! big hopes for him
I thought he looked a real talent at Inter when he was 17, the turmoil at that club over the last couple of seasons saw him fall off the radar and I think you have made a VERY astute buy as he has bags of talent and is still only 20.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 03-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #89
B
[insert witty comment]

Kagawa was outstanding today & so was Rooney.

That was the player we paid 15m for. We know he has the talent, he has ripped Bayern Munich to shreds several times in a Dortmund shirt as well as performed well overall in the Bundesliga during his stint there.

It was as I said earlier in the season, once Kagawa can get on the same wavelength as Rooney we will create so many more goalscoring chances, throw Cleverley in there as well who has shown has good chemistry with Rooney & you have an excellent trio of creation from the middle of the park.

I'll need to see him influence the play more when he plays against more of the top teams as opposed to a team like Norwich. I know he has the talent, just like I know Nani has the talent, it's just a case of whether both can apply themselves consistently.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #90
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
One of Liverpool's more recent signings that I felt was a fairly good deal/risk to take given his potential talent.

Looks like he comes from the sort of mould that the likes of Silva/Iniesta/Mata/Kagawa sort of playmaker, beating people with clever body shapes & short quick movements as opposed to brute speed or strength.

Next season could be a big year for him, he'll need to show though that he can influence the game against some of the more better teams in the Premiership.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #91
Poeman
Banned User

Coutinho is the real deal, he will thrive and make some money back for Liverpool after all they wasted when its time to sell at his high

Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #92
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
It's hard to figure out what Abramovich wants, he got the CL yet that barely bought RDM any time at all, so is it basically a case that he will eject any manager that has a bad run and move onto the next?
For the most part that has been his 'standard operating procedure' (The only managers to complete 2 consecutive full seasons under Roman have been Mourhinho and Ancelotti), but in truth I think there's a sh#t load of politics and back stabbing going on behind the scenes, some from players, and more from staff, that sways him one way or the other.

On that a not often published story is that Avram Grant allegedly told Roman he could do the job as well as Jose before Mournhino was shown the door (Cannot say if that's true or not but it would explain a lot). Avram was Roman's friend, appointed as a meaningless technical director (or something like that...the title didn't matter as his job was to watch Jose and the team in training and report back to Roman, so basically he was Roman's spy in the midst of the team, much like Micheal Elemanu is now).

With Jose making little secret of his displeasure with the Shevkenko signing and the appointments of back room staff like Grant and Arneson, and Chelsea dropping a few points too many in the early stages of his 3rd season, it made the result there inevitable with the benefit of hindsight on how Roman has performed since (and why I have doubts over Jose returning).

Quote:
The only reason I can think he's still sticking with Benitez is that even he knows the signal dumping two managers in one season would send out to the potential crop of managers he will go for in the summer.
Well, the other issue is who could he bring in for these last 2 months and a bit? Plus, if he sacks Rafa now he walks away with another 1.5 million quid. After taking a pop at the clubs management midweek Roman may well be thinking he's gonna have to earn that cash, rather than be given an easy lucrative out.

Quote:
Interesting, I always got the impression that Roman was very hands on with who was bought. He certainly has made two big errors when it comes to strikers, paying premiums while both were way below their best form, something you usually don't do.
As the owner I would imagine any signings, especially major ones, have to be run by him first before he green lights it. But I doubt he himself has instigated more than a handful (Shevekenko and Torres are the obvious ones). Beyond them I would think the board tell him they want so & so, he probably has some other advisers telling him whether it's a good idea or not, and they take it from there. The Guys too filthy rich, and likes his Yacht time too much, to bother micro-managing everything (he pays all his 'yes men' to do all that).

Quote:
when you look at that chain of events Torres has not just been a bad buy as far as his lack of effectiveness on the pitch goes, but the knock on effect has been disastorous given you were still very much in the hunt for the league when RDM was given the sack.
The word 'Jonah' springs to mind tbh...And it was disastrous for Ancelotti too: We were still just about in the hunt for the league then too, but he found himself lumbered with a $50million pound pet he never asked for and had to play (Drogba was still suffering the effects of Malaria contracted during the AN cup). That we closed the gap as much as we did (got to within one point about a month before the end and finished 2nd and 8 behind) was commendable.

That Torres failed again last season should have seen him go last summer. Unfortunately, that famously orgasmic goal against Barca (Gary Neville knows what I mean) worked against us really, as it did not change the result and it ensured he would stay.

RDM was also being told he had to use him no matter what, and when Roberto had finally had enough and made a point of dropping him for the Juventus game, his luck run out with Sturridge getting injured the day before the game leaving him the choice of playing Hazaard as a 'faux' striker instead, or making an undermining u-turn on Torres.

He rolled the dice with the former, Juve's first 2 goals were deflections, and that was gonna be that for RDM. The WBA defeat days later just sealed an already done deal as Chelsea were in talks with Benitez before that game.

Quote:
I can't see anything but you getting rid of Torres along with Benitez in the summer and starting fresh. The big question is will you get Falcao as the papers seem to think it's between Chelsea and Real Madrid for his signature, with City turning their sights to Cavani. Of course you do have Lukaku to come back, he looks very promising and is in double figures for the season at West Brom.
I hope they do let Torres go as its not doing him any favors either. It's sad to see someone who was once so good look so bad now, and I just can't see him recovering that form with Chelsea, so his luck might be better elsewhere. Falcoa? Yes please, but I figure Madrid will demand they keep our young Goalie in part exchange (with us obviously paying on top with the deal). As he is being groomed as Cech's successor I can't see us being to keen on going with that. Lukaku coming back should be a given, especially if Torres does go.

Last edited by wobbly; 03-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #93
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

How about Torres and Courtois and maybe something in the region of 10M for Falcao?

Anyway, the best thing about Kagawa's performance (apart from truly class finishing) is that we should be seeing less and less of Ashley Young in the coming weeks.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #94
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

that about a 30-35 mil package, I think Atleti might actually be able to get more out of Chelsea than that

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #95
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Another thing to consider with any Falcoa deal is where we finish in the league. It it's outside the top 4 it will that much harder to convince him (and others) to come to Chelsea with no CL next season.

The loss of revenue from that, plus the 'Fair Pay' money thing having kicked in too would mean they cant go silly buggers with any transfers too (not without cooking the books at any rate, which I imagine a lot clubs will be doing to some degree to get around that directive in any event).

Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #96
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

gotta say im really looking forward to Liverpool Chelsea just for the atmosphere - will be only my second home game of the year, but its sure to electric, there were Rafa chants from our lot yesterday, so should be a fun day out

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #97
kit1982
Side-Kick

Right what are peoples predictions for the "Norf Landan Derby"?

As much as I love AVB, I can't bring myself to back Spurs.... it's Spurs ffs!

2-1 Arsenal

Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #98
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Right what are peoples predictions for the "Norf Landan Derby"?

As much as I love AVB, I can't bring myself to back Spurs.... it's Spurs ffs!

2-1 Arsenal
I'm hoping for a draw myself. Hard one to call either way.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #99
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

As much as it will irk some I think Bale will be the difference and Spurs win 3-1.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #100
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
As much as it will irk some I think Bale will be the difference and Spurs win 3-1.
Bloody hell mate, you're a convert? Fair play to you, I'm still in denial, but if today in such a massive game he is the difference I'll have to crumble and admit that the guys up there in this league with the best.

Otherwise me and Darth will be passing round the haterade!