The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Default Re: Bloomberg Strikes back--Bans 2-Liter soda at Pizza Places.

Jesus Christ...

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #27
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Short-sighted nonsense.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #28
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Doesn't he have anything better to do?

Why should anyone obey this?

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Bloomberg's Ban On Large Sugary Drinks

UPDATE: JUDGE PUTS STOP TO NYC BAN ON LARGE SUGARY DRINKS
http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/11/news...html?hpt=hp_t1

Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Discussion: Bloomberg's Ban On Large Soda Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I don't know what the hell he is.......he better take that (I) away from his name....I don't want to be linked with him in any way.

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #31
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I don't know what the hell he is.......he better take that (I) away from his name....I don't want to be linked with him in any way.

You a Independent? I'm a registered Libertarian. how you like those apple, D.C.? Haha!

In other news, Bloomberg is not pleased.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,3584885.story

He says it is a error...

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #32
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
You a Independent? I'm a registered Libertarian. how you like those apple, D.C.? Haha!

In other news, Bloomberg is not pleased.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,3584885.story

He says it is a error...
Of course he'd think it is. Any time someone disagrees with his edicts, they're wrong.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Default Re: Discussion: Bloomberg's Ban On Large Sugary Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
UPDATE: JUDGE PUTS STOP TO NYC BAN ON LARGE SUGARY DRINKS
http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/11/news...html?hpt=hp_t1
A victory for liberty.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Handsome Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Doesn't he have anything better to do?

Why should anyone obey this?
Why would this be allowed? Shouldn't something like this be put in a ballot box and let the people vote on it. This just seems undemocratic to me.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #35
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

If he wanted to be more effective, he would directly attack the soft drink industry itself about what they use to produce their products.

That's been an issue for years now.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob View Post
A victory for liberty.
And for morbid obesity as well
But hey, you're right guys, it's your jesus given right to be able to drink sodas from buckets you could comfortably bathe your babies in.

Last edited by JKKS085; 03-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #37
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Honestly...I wish they WOULD put a ban on that crap.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #38
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
And for morbid obesity as well
But hey, you're right guys, it's your jesus given right to be able to drink sodas from buckets you could comfortably bathe your babies in.
Maybe so . . . part of the freedom to choose is the freedom to make the wrong choice. But, you don't take away EVERYONE's choice because of the irresponsible actions of some. Otherwise, we could ban/restrict a lot of activities on the basis of harm to self.

I love french fries. A couple of times a month, I'll go to Wendy's on a Saturday for lunch. I'll get a large-sized chicken sandwich combo meal, with large fries and a large soft drink. The drink is roughly 28 oz and 320 calories. The whole meal tips in at 1,380 calories. Doesn't sound too healthy, does it?

Well, the odds are that before I get that lunch, I've put in some time on my bicycle. And I burn at least 2,000 calories on an average ride. Did I mention that I'm in great health? Cholesterol, blood sugar, body fat, overall weight . . . all within healthy ranges--I'm very lean. See, before I even eat that lunch, I've already burned enough calories to take care of the breakfast I ate before the ride, the snacks I had on the ride, and the fast food meal I will eat after it.

See, I've made the choice to eat junk food, but I've also made the choice to make it a treat in my life rather than a regularity. My typical meal consists of home-cooked grains, vegetables, and lean meats. I prepare them myself and almost always from scratch. I exercise 6 days a week on average, alternating gym time and bike time.

I LOVE my trips to Wendy's, but I understand they have to be only on occasion for the sake of my health. After a long ride, nothing hits the spot like that monster, ice-cold soft drink. What I don't love is some nanny-state fascist lecturing me and telling me I can't have that large soft drink, because other people have decided to make the wrong choice by having too much of it.

Why? Because I've already proved to Bloomberg that I can have large soft drinks . . . I didn't need his help, and I can run my life just fine without his unwanted regulations.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Handsome Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob View Post
Maybe so . . . part of the freedom to choose is the freedom to make the wrong choice. But, you don't take away EVERYONE's choice because of the irresponsible actions of some. Otherwise, we could ban/restrict a lot of activities on the basis of harm to self.
Yop that's why you have things like speed limits, airport controls, gun control (well not yet, but hopefully for you guys it'll come) ...

It's not about choice, it's society being responsible for individuals when individuals obviously cannot take responsibility for themselves. Wether you want to hear that or not, economicaly speaking, obesity and overweight are a liabilty for the entire community, it has an exponentially increasing cost supported by your evergrowing taxes and actions must be taken to reverse that morbid trend, as derisory as they may seem.

You're taking your personnal example, seriously that's good for you man as being in shape is important, but when I check the frightening obesity rates in the U.S. I cannot help but think that, obviously, not everyone is in the same situation, and that some regulation is actually more than wanted in this case.

It's not about freedom, more about collective responsability.

Not that I care a lot anyways since I live in a country that took care of that matter awhile ago and strangely has an obesity rate about half of what it is in the U.S. Not trying to sound like a prick though

Last edited by JKKS085; 03-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
Marvolo
Side-Kick

They should ban soft drinks in schools. Children shouldn't be able to just hit up the sugary drink fountain whenever they so choose. Kids need water and juice not crap. If adults won't to have diabetes and the health problems so be it but don't go whining to the doctor when your body takes a **** on itself.

Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #41
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Okay, this law is (or I should say, was) moronic from the get-go.

First of all, it's overregulation (the nonexistent kind people on the right usually cry about, but this is an actual example). Government overstepping its bounds, and all that. Secondly, it's not going to do a damn thing, since in America they have this wonderful thing called "free refills". And I could go on, but the whole thing is just so stupid and petty, that simply talking about it is exasperating.

You want to tackle obesity? Great. Don't make stupid, petty, arbitrary laws. Like the guy eating junk food is going to lose weight because he can only get a 16 ounce cup (which he can refill as much as he likes).

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #42
Doctor Evo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

First of all, it's overregulation (the nonexistent kind people on the right usually cry about, but this is an actual example). Government overstepping its bounds, and all that. Secondly, it's not going to do a damn thing, since in America they have this wonderful thing called "free refills". And I could go on, but the whole thing is just so stupid and petty, that simply talking about it is exasperating.

You want to tackle obesity? Great. Don't make stupid, petty, arbitrary laws. Like the guy eating junk food is going to lose weight because he can only get a 16 ounce cup (which he can refill as much as he likes).
Well, at least he has to walk to get the refills, right?

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #43
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Well, at least he has to walk to get the refills, right?
Burning off 0.0001 calories in the process.

I think the only real argument you could make for this law is that it would help with waste.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #44
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
If he wanted to be more effective, he would directly attack the soft drink industry itself about what they use to produce their products.

That's been an issue for years now.
While true, that's not an issue a mayor can attack though. In order to go after the soft drink industry you have to attack it from a Federal level.

Personally I think the best way to go after the soda industry is

1. tax it like cigarettes(and put all that cash into health care and make a point that's where it's going)

2. find any industries that make ingredients for soft drinks and if they get federal subsidies take those away.

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #45
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Americans will give up their sugary drinks the day they give up their guns, cars, and everything else they love.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #46
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
They should ban soft drinks in schools. Children shouldn't be able to just hit up the sugary drink fountain whenever they so choose. Kids need water and juice not crap. If adults won't to have diabetes and the health problems so be it but don't go whining to the doctor when your body takes a **** on itself.
First off, I will never whine at the doctor. My choice, my body -_-.

Second. Keep the soda/coke machines. Just don't turn them on til 3pm. That's what my high school did years ago when I was in school.

Quote:

I love reading your posts.

Quote:
Americans will give up their sugary drinks the day they give up their guns, cars, and everything else they love.
Yes. Granted I don't give a crap about guns for myself. But if other people want guns, they can have them.

I just panic fire in zombie games. I panic fire and run around in circles in black ops. Then I whine. True story.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #47
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
First off, I will never whine at the doctor. My choice, my body -_-.

Second. Keep the soda/coke machines. Just don't turn them on til 3pm. That's what my high school did years ago when I was in school.
Kids don't need soda at school. If their parents want to give them to them fine that is their choice but a public school shouldnt be supplying them by letting coke and pepsi put their machines in there. Kids need nutrition not soda.

Yeah, your body your choice until your diabetic body gives out when your driving down the high way and you hit someone head on.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying we can't have our vices but there is a time and place for it and there can be such a thing as too much.

H.E.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Kids don't need soda at school. If their parents want to give them to them fine that is their choice but a public school shouldnt be supplying them by letting coke and pepsi put their machines in there. Kids need nutrition not soda.

Yeah, your body your choice until your diabetic body gives out when your driving down the high way and you hit someone head on.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying we can't have our vices but there is a time and place for it and there can be such a thing as too much.

Why can't the machines be there for after school? Like band practice or while kids wait to go home on the second load bus? Just turn on the machines at 3pm. Problem solved.

Dude, are you physic? never knew I'll die in a fiery car crash. Well damn.

Okay.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #49
MrMonk
Newbie First Class

I can say that soda is terribly bad in large quantities..such as what kids drink so readily.

I also think that Bloomberg is a control freak.

MrMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #50
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why can't the machines be there for after school? Like band practice or while kids wait to go home on the second load bus? Just turn on the machines at 3pm. Problem solved.

Dude, are you physic? never knew I'll die in a fiery car crash. Well damn.

Okay.
No thankfully I'm not psychic. Enough stuff running through my mind. And given the amount of heart disease in this country and the number of wrecks that happen saying an obese person will wreck due to heart failure isn't that far fetched.

And the machines don't need to be there at all because kids don't need sodas at school. If they want a drink they can get water. These are kids. Just because they want sweets doesn't mean they need it.

H.E.