The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Who made the better Catwoman?
Michelle Pfeiffer 65 37.57%
Anne Hathaway 108 62.43%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #576
OutRiddled
Banned User

Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmystico View Post
I never envisioned Catwoman as a psycho head case...and that's what Pfeiffer's Selina/Catwoman was.

Anne's was more true to the character, walking that thin line between criminal/hero and even having conflicts of interests...even second guessing decisions she's made.

Pfeiffer never toed any line, she was all-criminal, no depth as far as decisions she makes...if anything she came across as someone with a split personality to me.
No she wasn't. She was an avenger.. getting back at the people who tried to kill her and the oppressive society that created her.

A bit more interesting than just a simple cat-burglar.. but god forbid that they aren't faithful to the comics.

Quote:
I do believe Anne Hathaway is a better actress than Michelle Pfeiffer.
Really? Because I feel nothing watching Anne's performances.

And btw, you're talking about a woman who has worked with some of the greatest actors of all time - Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson to drop a few names.

Last edited by OutRiddled; 04-09-2013 at 12:43 PM.
OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #577
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
And btw, you're talking about a woman who has worked with some of the greatest actors of all time - Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson to drop a few names.
Adam Sandler has worked with Jack Nicholson. It's hardly an indicator of acting quality

Not that I'm saying Pfeiffer is a bad or mediocre actress. Just saying that actors they've worked with doesn't mean anything.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #578
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Adam Sandler has worked with Jack Nicholson. It's hardly an indicator of acting quality

Not that I'm saying Pfeiffer is a bad or mediocre actress. Just saying that actors they've worked with doesn't mean anything.
Yeah, but that's just some lame-ass comedy.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #579
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Yeah, but that's just some lame-ass comedy.
That's not the point. He still got to star along side him in a leading role in a movie. So listing actors Pfeiffer or any other actor worked with means nothing. I mean Sandler has also worked with Pacino, too. And Kathy Bates. And several other great actors of our time.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #580
theman
Banned User

is this even a question? michelle pfieffer all the way. Hathaway was mad annoying and not attractive at all to me. she was way prettier in her Disney days, now she tries to play all bad girl and she just epically fails. Pfeiffer had the sexiness, the sultry smooth mmmmm quality in that gorgeus catsuit while Hathaway I just wanted to slap the sh** out of she was so irritating. that's not even mentioning shes a better actress as well. Hathaway did that terrible movie Havoc simply to skankify herself to get more adult roles. I guess she got what she wanted but she is still a lousy actress and bad choice for catwoman. I would have even preferred the girl who played taalia to play catwoman.

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #581
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
That's not the point. He still got to star along side him in a leading role in a movie. So listing actors Pfeiffer or any other actor worked with means nothing. I mean Sandler has also worked with Pacino, too. And Kathy Bates. And several other great actors of our time.
The muppets have worked with Robert De Niro, should I count them?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #582
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
The muppets have worked with Robert De Niro, should I count them?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yes you should lol. Because it's as valid as what you were saying with Pfeiffer. In fact she's worked with the Muppets, too

- The Joker
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #583
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
is this even a question? michelle pfieffer all the way. Hathaway was mad annoying and not attractive at all to me. she was way prettier in her Disney days, now she tries to play all bad girl and she just epically fails. Pfeiffer had the sexiness, the sultry smooth mmmmm quality in that gorgeus catsuit while Hathaway I just wanted to slap the sh** out of she was so irritating. that's not even mentioning shes a better actress as well. Hathaway did that terrible movie Havoc simply to skankify herself to get more adult roles. I guess she got what she wanted but she is still a lousy actress and bad choice for catwoman.
I agree with this.

Quote:
I would have even preferred the girl who played taalia to play catwoman.
Nah, she was a piece of wood. She can barely even emote, let alone act.

Quote:
Yes you should lol. Because it's as valid as what you were saying with Pfeiffer. In fact she's worked with the Muppets, too
Ok, since you're so pendantic, I'll amend that to starring with an acclaimed actor in a critically acclaimed movie then. Happy?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #584
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Awww 'theman' got banned. What a shame! I'll miss his comically trolling posts.

I was just about to show him what legendary Batman comic veteran, Neal Adams, said about Hathaway's Catwoman:

Quote:
And Anne Hathaway: Why were they hiding her in the previews? Because she was an incredible surprise. What a great job she did. Gangly and wobbly? Not a bit. She was sleek and sexy
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...by-neal-adams/

Quote:
Ok, since you're so pendantic, I'll amend that to starring with an acclaimed actor in a critically acclaimed movie then. Happy?
Yes that's more valid than just saying she's worked with notable actors. Tons of bad actors have.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #585
shauner111
Side-Kick

Cotillard can't act? Haha, oh boy.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #586
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Cotillard can't act? Haha, oh boy.
I'm only judging her performance in TDKR. Though I don't blame her, as her lines of dialogue were so awful and cliched.

She's french isn't she? She probably does better work in her french films.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #587
regwec
Shakespearo

I don't think even her most devoted fans would claim that TDKR was her best movie. Her character was pointless, but unfortunately she seemed to know it.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #588
mao
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
is this even a question? michelle pfieffer all the way. Hathaway was mad annoying and not attractive at all to me. she was way prettier in her Disney days, now she tries to play all bad girl and she just epically fails. Pfeiffer had the sexiness, the sultry smooth mmmmm quality in that gorgeus catsuit while Hathaway I just wanted to slap the sh** out of she was so irritating. that's not even mentioning shes a better actress as well. Hathaway did that terrible movie Havoc simply to skankify herself to get more adult roles. I guess she got what she wanted but she is still a lousy actress and bad choice for catwoman. I would have even preferred the girl who played taalia to play catwoman.
You have terrible taste.

mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #589
OutRiddled
Banned User

Havoc was a terrible movie, but it seems every 'Disney princess' in hollywood has to bare their breasts or do sex scenes in a movie to get better roles.

Even Pfeiffer did a nude scene in Into The Night. Although going straight from Grease 2 into Scarface with Al Pacino still at his peak is way more impressive. I'd still say Pfeiffer has had a better career, even though her beginnings were much more modest.

Anne Hathaway - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004266/
Michelle Pfeiffer - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000201/

Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #590
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Pfeiffer is 24 years older than Hathaway.

While we're at it, I think Sally Field has had a better career than Jennifer Lawrence.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #591
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I was just about to show him what legendary Batman comic veteran, Neal Adams, said about Hathaway's Catwoman:

Quote:
And Anne Hathaway: Why were they hiding her in the previews? Because she was an incredible surprise. What a great job she did. Gangly and wobbly? Not a bit. She was sleek and sexy
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/dark-knight-rises-a-guest-review-by-neal-adams/.
That's fantastic praise from Adams and right on the money.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #592
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Pfeiffer is 24 years older than Hathaway.

While we're at it, I think Sally Field has had a better career than Jennifer Lawrence.
I am accounting for age, which is why I was only looking at the first 11 years of Pfeiffer's career. Compared to Hathaway, who started acting in films in 2001. That's why I gave the links to their IMDB profiles.

So:

Pfeiffer's career 1979-1990
Hathaway's career 2001-2012

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #593
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
I am accounting for age, which is why I was only looking at the first 11 years of Pfeiffer's career. Compared to Hathaway, who started acting in films in 2001. That's why I gave the links to their IMDB profiles.

So:

Pfeiffer's career 1979-1990
Hathaway's career 2001-2012
Okay, but it just still feels like a pointless comparison to make. Both actresses had 2 Oscar noms within the first 11 years of their career. Hathaway already has a win under her belt, while Pfeiffer has one more nomination for her whole career. Both are great actresses, and yes the Oscar love is a great indication of that in both cases. You're trying way too hard to knock Hathaway down a peg here.

And let me guess, Michelle was just being "sycophantic" when she praised Hathaway's talents right?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #594
regwec
Shakespearo

I don't think it was sycophantic, but it is simply what you are meant to do in the industry.* Her comments were probably heartfelt, but they are relatively meaningless.

*Except for Jack Nicholson.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #595
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Michelle has no major attachements to the Catwoman character... she fully acknowledges the actresses that came before her and is entirely supportive of those that came after her.

She praises Anne because it basic manners in Hollywood... And she may genuinely like her as an overall actress. Maybe her daughter is a big Anne fan.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #596
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
That's fantastic praise from Adams and right on the money.
It's always a joy as a Batman fan to see legendary Batman alumni like that issue out praise on adaptions of the characters. Neal Adams of all people, too. From the classic O'Neil/Adams days in the 70's Batman comics.

- The Joker
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #597
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Michelle has no major attachements to the Catwoman character... she fully acknowledges the actresses that came before her and is entirely supportive of those that came after her.

She praises Anne because it basic manners in Hollywood... And she may genuinely like her as an overall actress. Maybe her daughter is a big Anne fan.
She may like her as an overall actress? Why is that so hard to believe? Just saying, Pfeiffer does not strike me at all as overly phony. And even if she was, there are lot of ways she could have side stepped the issue if she wanted to be diplomatic about it while saying nice things, but she specifically commented on her range as an actress.

I think Hathaway is coming into her own right now as an actress similarly to the way Heath was (tragically) when he passed. I don't feel we've even seen her best work yet.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #598
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
She may like her as an overall actress? Why is that so hard to believe?
Way to zero in on one word and blow it out of porportion.

None of us know Michelle Pfeiffer personally... so we don't know what she really likes and doesn't like. For all you know, she may never have seen an Anne Hathaway movie in her entire life.

She also praised Halle Berry on doing such a great job... I doubt shes seen the movie. It's all professional courtesy.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #599
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Way to zero in on one word and blow it out of porportion.

None of us know Michelle Pfeiffer personally... so we don't know what she really likes and doesn't like. For all you know, she may never have seen an Anne Hathaway movie in her entire life.

She also praised Halle Berry on doing such a great job... I doubt shes seen the movie. It's all professional courtesy.
I just find the resistance to believe the simple version of the story...that Michelle indeed respects Anne as an actress, a bit perplexing. It's really not such a stretch.

Of course we don't know her personally, does that mean we're not ever allowed to take the word of celebrities when it comes to their opinions about things just because we don't know them? I understand that there's such a thing as professional courtesy and being politically correct, but there's also such a thing as respect and being a fan of one of your peers. Pfeiffer's comments rung true of the latter in my opinion.

Mind you, she hasn't praised her performance as Catwoman (I don't know if she's been interviewed about it since TDKR came out). She praised the casting choice and seemed genuinely enthused about what Hathaway would be able to bring to it. She probably praised Berry because she knows Berry is a strong actress. Just like she knows Hathaway is.

And not everyone is such a drone in Hollywood that they'll automatically praise the people following in their footsteps though. James Franco bashed The Amazing Spider-Man, for instance.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #600
milost
Banned User

We don't know what these people are like in reality, we're not part of their world. We're on the outside looking in, we don't know how it all works.

Lots of people in Hollywood just say, "yeah, that's great, they're great, great work" so they don't step on anyone's toes. That's how the business is.

How about Michael Keaton? "Oh yeah, those are all great" one minute, then the next, "nah, I haven't seen them, haven't even completed mine". That's the truth, you think these actors and actresses watch the films at the premiere? Do you think all of them watch their own films?

Maybe Pfeiffer is speaking from the heart, maybe she's not. Who knows. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. What's an actor or director supposed to say when they're asked about another person's work? Say it sucks? It's protocol to say good things, that might be your job on the table next project.

Yeah, Franco "bashed" Amazing Spider-Man. Wally Pfister knocked the Avengers. That really isn't common in Hollywood though, and those responses weren't swallowed well. Every so often when these things come up again like, "you said that", it's meant with a change in tone.

milost is offline   Reply With Quote