Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #226
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

Default Re: Assassin's Creed IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The future stuff really turns me off, honestly. I don't care about it at all and rushed through all of it as quickly as possible in AC1 and 2. I'm still not sold on AC4 yet, but knowing there is a minimal amount of future nonsense would definitely be a point in its favor.
That's what's always prevented me from really getting into the series. I think if they were true historical set games that'd be great but i could care less for Desmond or the animus or virtual reality constructs.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #227
AxlsAppetite
Side-Kick

It's just the delivery of the present day stuff that's lacking, not the content. Otherwise we would just be playing as cool Assassins throughout time with no real purpose.

Leaving it out would be like watching The Matrix without any of the scenes set in the matrix. It would be incomplete.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #228
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
That's what's always prevented me from really getting into the series. I think if they were true historical set games that'd be great but i could care less for Desmond or the animus or virtual reality constructs.
My feelings exactly. I didn't even finish AC1 or AC2 because the story didn't intrigue me at all. Unless a game as an interesting story, I don't feel the need to finish it. After a while the game play got too repetitive and I just gave up on it altogether, not bothering with AC3 as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlsAppetite View Post
It's just the delivery of the present day stuff that's lacking, not the content. Otherwise we would just be playing as cool Assassins throughout time with no real purpose.

Leaving it out would be like watching The Matrix without any of the scenes set in the matrix. It would be incomplete.
I disagree. Obviously it's subjective, but I'd be perfectly happy with a series where we just play as "cool assassins throughout time". There's no reason the story couldn't be something else that links them all together without sci-fi future baloney. For me it's definitely not a case of the future stuff being less fun than the past stuff, and absolutely a case of the over all story just being uninteresting.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #229
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
The future stuff really turns me off, honestly. I don't care about it at all and rushed through all of it as quickly as possible in AC1 and 2. I'm still not sold on AC4 yet, but knowing there is a minimal amount of future nonsense would definitely be a point in its favor.
Yea im the same way. Every time im sucked out of the animus i do what needs to be done as quick as possible so i can get back to the core game. I dont think the future sci fi stuff adds anything even remotely interesting to the game. Had they of just left that and the whole world ending nonsense out, the series would of been fine. Assassins v Templars throughout history, thats all ya need.

Quote:
I disagree. Obviously it's subjective, but I'd be perfectly happy with a series where we just play as "cool assassins throughout time". There's no reason the story couldn't be something else that links them all together without sci-fi future baloney. For me it's definitely not a case of the future stuff being less fun than the past stuff, and absolutely a case of the over all story just being uninteresting.
This times a billion.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #230
AxlsAppetite
Side-Kick

YOU guys are overall uninteresting...

I got nothing else.

Team Desmond!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #231
James
Built from Lego

Old 03-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #232
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

Look at the GTA series for example. They don't need some extra-dimensional story or hook to try and tie together all the different games.

They just set out to make good games. I think a full fledged pirate game sounds great where you get to live the life of a swash buckler, sort of like how RDR let you live the life of a cowboy. The other stuff just seems like unneeded baggage.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 03-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #233
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
YOU guys are overall uninteresting...

I got nothing else.

Team Desmond!
LOL.

Well i did like Desmond, but im a big fan of Nolan North.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #234
AxlsAppetite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Look at the GTA series for example. They don't need some extra-dimensional story or hook to try and tie together all the different games.

They just set out to make good games. I think a full fledged pirate game sounds great where you get to live the life of a swash buckler, sort of like how RDR let you live the life of a cowboy. The other stuff just seems like unneeded baggage.
The main characters from those games aren't part of a secret society that's been around since the beginning of humanity fighting for freedom, so, no.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #235
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Also, is anyone else annoyed that we're playing a Templar in this game, accessing the memories? I still feel like we've been given heaps of insight into the modern day templars but hardly any insight into the modern Assassins.
I'm still thinking 'I'm' going to be kidnapped by William Miles and flipped to the Assassin side by the end of the game.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #236
James
Built from Lego

I have a question.

None of the games in my current stock are leaping out at me, and with all this talk about AC4 I'm sorely tempted to pick up AC3. Now, chances are I won't finish the main story but I'm curious nonetheless: Once you've finished the story, can you continue playing, or is that it?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #237
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, you can continue playing and completing any side missions you didn't finish after you finish the main story.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #238
James
Built from Lego

Awesome, thanks Spidey!

Chances are if I do pick it up (which I'm definitely leaning towards) I won't finish the main story anyway, but it's nice to know I can and still have the freedom to run around.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #239
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

AC3 raised my interest in this series (which was always very high anyway) with the change of environment and Black Flag is putting it into orbit.

And the future stuff to me is ok but nowhere near the quality of the historical stuff.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #240
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Awesome, thanks Spidey!

Chances are if I do pick it up (which I'm definitely leaning towards) I won't finish the main story anyway, but it's nice to know I can and still have the freedom to run around.
Well since you are kinda iffy on the game, im gonna warn you that its slow going in the beginning, and even more so for someone who isnt too concerned with the story. Just get through it tho man, cuz Connors combat is just toooo much damn fun.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #241
James
Built from Lego

Thanks Pat!

I'd heard the first hour or so is pretty slow. I've watched a few gameplay videos and it looks pretty cool, especially the naval combat. Can you get into naval combat and make use of your ship outside of missions, or is it purely a mission based feature?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #242
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I don't think the modern gameplay has been done justice by any means but I do think it's crucial as a backdrop and setting. It informs the whole HUD layout, the whole database layout and the whole concept of memories and sequences which I think are a great context for the game and help to make it unique.

That said, I probably wouldn't mind if they eased off on the actual modern gameplay for a while, at least until they actually commit to the modern segments and decide to make it worthwhile. AC 3's modern segments were one of the most disappointing endings for me for a looooooong time.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #243
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Thanks Pat!

I'd heard the first hour or so is pretty slow. I've watched a few gameplay videos and it looks pretty cool, especially the naval combat. Can you get into naval combat and make use of your ship outside of missions, or is it purely a mission based feature?
Unfortunately the naval stuff are just missions, ya cant just cruise in the ship(major bummer imo), but theres a good amount of the naval missions tho. At least 10 or so.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #244
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Yeah, because I'd feel lost playing as a Pirate Assassin without some present day context.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #245
LuisTX85
Hey Bub

It's not just that the present stuff has been lacking But I just don't like the concept of the machine and the matrix type stuff between the past&present,I love sci-fi&fantasy and this is unique&original But I would have totally be fine IF AC1 was just all about Altair and the other games being about new characters towards the future without being descendants.

Yeah there's games like Prince of Persia for that But still,I admit though I finally got around to liking Desmond and warming up to the machine&ancient gods..Then the ending happened,In the other games I tried to remain in the past as much as possible and only leave the machine when I had to for the story But in AC III I really liked Desmond's missions.

I would not have a problem at all with an AC game set just in the present But am just tired of the mixed things.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #246
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

It was strolling around Montergionni that got me wanting modern day stuff. Then Ezio's amazing speech to Desmond in Revaltions. When AC3 rolled around, what shat me was how half arsed all that was. Invading Abstergo to finally kill Vidic should've been the final level, that's what the franchise was building to, instead that level was easier and quicker than that crap Charles Lee foot chase.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #247
LuisTX85
Hey Bub

Awesome Re: Assassin's Creed IV

Awesome shot,Makes me want an Aguaman game!!

They should get Hans Zimmer to do the score!..
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by LuisTX85; 03-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #248
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
It was strolling around Montergionni that got me wanting modern day stuff. Then Ezio's amazing speech to Desmond in Revaltions. When AC3 rolled around, what shat me was how half arsed all that was. Invading Abstergo to finally kill Vidic should've been the final level, that's what the franchise was building to, instead that level was easier and quicker than that crap Charles Lee foot chase.
The pre-AC3 games intimately linked the past and present. While you were Altair or Ezio, there were clues that you looked for/discovered that only had meaning to Desmond in the 21st century, and you had all the puzzles that unveiled the history of the Assassins and Templars. In AC3, there's none of that, so it feels like two completely different storylines. There's Connor and Haytham; and then....oh yeah, Desmond's still wandering around the 21st century, right? And the latter was nothing but straightforward walkthrough missions, instead of anything mysterious or occult or fascinating. There weren't any mental challenges/puzzles in AC3, just regular gaming.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #249
Destructus86
Side-Kick

So...I wonder how they will deal with the modern era...I mean, there were TWO endings to 3.....

Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #250
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post

They should get Hans Zimmer to do the score!..
I vow to play the Pirates/Gladiator theme when pirating in AC4. I friggin' love that track.

Closed Thread