The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #351
milost
Banned User

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

Ew, gross.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #352
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerk View Post
I said this in an earlier post, but I wouldve been fine with him quitting if the character had "earned" it. Batman only clocking in 1.5 years of crime fighting made the "go rest now our hero" ending not as satisfying as it should've been to me personally.
It's more like days of crime fighting. But this shouldn't be a shock to anyone because he states this to Alfred on the plane in BB. He says "...as long as it takes". And coincidentally, it didn't take that long because he took out the mob and the group (LOS) that caused the whole mess to begin with. However, he had to go up against the Joker that was inspired to wear a "costume" like Batman. Then he defeated Two-Face. After that, the corruption was very low and Gotham was able to restore it's city. Then Bane and Talia show up as Batman's last threat. Batman defeats them both and there's no need for Batman anymore. We have to remember, any series can't totally be like the comics because their has to be an ending or some sort of endgame.

This is off topic but one of the many nit picks about this series is how Batman was so weak and out of shape just by a couple days of crime fighting.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 03-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #353
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I was under the impression that there was some crime fighting for the year or so between BB and TDK.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #354
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I was under the impression that there was some crime fighting for the year or so between BB and TDK.
Remember the Joker card at the end of BB? TDK picks up right after where BB left off (or at least it should've). I doubt the Joker took a year to show up after his initial robbery and double homicide that was explained to Batman on the rooftops. Or it took Batman a year to realize that the Joker was a real threat.

If it was supposed to be a year after BB, then you can add that to another plot hole in the Nolan series.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 03-18-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #355
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Remember the Joker card at the end of BB? TDK picks up right after where BB left off (or at least it should've). I doubt the Joker took a year to show up after his initial robbery and double homicide that was explained to Batman on the rooftops. Or it took Batman a year to realize that the Joker was a real threat.

If it was supposed to be a year after BB, then you can add that to another plot hole in the Nolan series.
If I remember correctly, it's 6 months after Begins. Also, that wouldn't be a plot hole. Batman was focused on the mob at the time while the Joker, so far, was just having fun (considering that they recognized him but were focused on the bigger picture, the mob) before TDK.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #356
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
If I remember correctly, it's 6 months after Begins. Also, that wouldn't be a plot hole. Batman was focused on the mob at the time while the Joker, so far, was just having fun (considering that they recognized him but were focused on the bigger picture, the mob) before TDK.
You're right, however, do you think the Joker would randomly rob a bank and kill a couple of people then hide out for 6 months?

To me, the timeline is off. He reveals to Batman that he's been ripping off the mob and didn't want to go to that life (insinuating that he'd rather play with Batman). So was he robbing banks? How was he ripping them off? So Batman and GPD tossed him aside for that long? That's very odd.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #357
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're right, however, do you think the Joker would randomly rob a bank and kill a couple of people then hide out for 6 months?

To me, the timeline is off. He reveals to Batman that he's been ripping off the mob and didn't want to go to that life (insinuating that he'd rather play with Batman). So was he robbing banks? How was he ripping them off? So Batman and GPD tossed him aside? That's very odd.
No, I think that he'd be robbing mob banks and having the time of his life while Batman, Gordon and Dent are focusing their efforts on the mob.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #358
milost
Banned User

It would take about 6 months of robberies to put together that suit.

"It wasn't cheap."

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #359
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, I think that he'd be robbing mob banks and having the time of his life while Batman, Gordon and Dent are focusing their efforts on the mob.
Yeah, but for GCPD and Batman to toss him aside is odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
It would take about 6 months of robberies to put together that suit.

"It wasn't cheap."
Suits don't cost that much. And if it took 6 months to save up for a suit, he's the worlds worst bank robber.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 03-18-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #360
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think so. Now I remember, Joker specifically tells Batman in the interrogation room that he didn't want to rip off the mob after he met Batman.
Well, obviously he was fine doing it up until he met Batman and saw what he could do. He was fine ripping off the mob during the prologue of TDK.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #361
JackWhite
Third Man

Ra's al Ghul: "You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you achieved was a lie. Now you understand Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die."

That quote alone allows me to sleep sound at night.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #362
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I love thinking of the viral marketing for TDK as loose canon. I like to think he was recruiting some of those released Arkham inmates and becoming this urban legend of the underworld during that time.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #363
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, obviously he was fine doing it up until he met Batman and saw what he could do. He was fine ripping off the mob during the prologue of TDK.
I erased what I originally wrote because I misunderstood your response. Again, that's fine that the Joker was under the radar and ripping off the mob. Granted, GCPD and Batman probably didn't care that the money that was being robbed, was only the mobs. However, he killed a lot of people along the way. That should not go unnoticed, especially for Batman.

My point is, it wasn't out of Batman's way to investigate this murderer and thief (Joker).

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #364
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I love thinking of the viral marketing for TDK as loose canon. I like to think he was recruiting some of those released Arkham inmates and becoming this urban legend of the underworld during that time.
I've always looked at that stuff as canon. Especially the segments with Dent on Gotham tonight. I mean that was such a brilliant buildup to watching TDK.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #365
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Batman said he'd look into it. He didn't say when though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I've always looked at that stuff as canon. Especially the segments with Dent on Gotham tonight. I mean that was such a brilliant buildup to watching TDK.
True, I mean once you have actual actors from the film involved it's as close to canon as you're gonna get. Plus, Jonah Nolan did have some input on was going on with it. But yeah, hats off to 42E. Best viral campaign I've ever seen.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #366
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Ra's al Ghul: "You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you achieved was a lie. Now you understand Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die."

You mean the hallucination Bruce saw that told him Bane was the child of Ra's Al Ghul?

- The Joker
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #367
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I erased what I originally wrote because I misunderstood your response. Again, that's fine that the Joker was under the radar and ripping off the mob. Granted, GCPD and Batman probably didn't care that the money that was being robbed, was only the mobs. However, he killed a lot of people along the way. That should not go unnoticed, especially for Batman.

My point is, it wasn't out of Batman's way to investigate this murderer and thief (Joker).
Ah, alright.

Hey, the guy needs some sleep.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #368
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:

That's a good quote. It's Bruce basically telling himself that he's been fighting Gotham for years. But unfortunately, we don't get a recap of what had happened between BB-TDK. I heard he's been focusing on the mob. But didn't we see how fast he took Falcone out in BB? My point is, we don't know exactly what he was doing.

But we do know he was a recluse for 8 years in Wayne Manor.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 03-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #369
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
You mean the hallucination Bruce saw that told him Bane was the child of Ra's Al Ghul?
Haha, I knew you'd make a comment on that. Actually you did before when I first mentioned it a while ago.

But yeah, Bruce was going off of what he believed was true about Bane's origins. So I take it that the hallucination of Ra's spouting off Batman's career back to Bruce is from his subconscious mind, which would be true.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #370
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
That's a good quote. It's Bruce basically telling himself that he's been fighting Gotham for years. But unfortunately, we don't get a recap of what had happened between BB-TDK. I heard he's been focusing on the mob. But didn't we see how fast he took Falcone out in BB? My point is, we don't know exactly what he was doing.

Well for instance, we know he was doing covert stuff like giving Gordon marked bills to track their money.

I think the idea is that the mob has been more careful ("I know why you're afraid to go out at night), so Batman/Gordon are trying to figure out a way to bring down all the bosses in one fell swoop.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #371
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:

No, Bruce was still a public figure for the first five years after the events of TDK; working on the clean energy project. Then once that failed, he went into hiding for three years before TDKR starts up.

Yeah, we don't know what he did between BB and TDK, but it's cool to speculate.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #372
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, Bruce was still a public figure for the first five years after the events of TDK; working on the clean energy project. Then once that failed, he went into hiding for three years before TDKR starts up.

Yeah, we don't know what he did between BB and TDK, but it's cool to speculate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Well for instance, we know he was doing covert stuff like giving Gordon marked bills to track their money.

I think the idea is that the mob has been more careful ("I know why you're afraid to go out at night), so Batman/Gordon are trying to figure out a way to bring down all the bosses in one fell swoop.
Both of you are right. I forgot about that.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #373
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Both of you are right. I forgot about that.
No problem.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #374
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's now a plot hole that there's a (nine month) gap between BB and TDK just because Joker doesn't do anything wildly important between that time? Lol, the things I hear from posters these days about Nolan's trilogy.

Batman DID say "Him again." when he met up with Gordon at the bank. Joker had been around, but it's only this robbery in TDK that finally got the attention of the mob.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #375
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

And actually, the fact that he doesn't really pay much mind to the Joker when he's just a small time crook/killer reinforces the idea that this Batman's mission was clearcut from the start about shutting down the mob and giving Gotham a chance to blossom in a non-corrupt environment.

Closed Thread