The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #976
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

LOL.

Yes, because not saying 'imo' in the very first sentence can be seen as misleading. Are you that thin skinned that I needed to say 'imo' in the very beginning?

Here:

Quote:
Getting rid of the League of Shadows would not have made the film any better, IMO. Bringing that in this conclusion to Bruce Wayne's story that had a VERY prominent role in the beginning of Bruce Wayne's story made the trilogy as a whole more exciting, IMO. The LoS was this external threat to Batman in Nolan's trilogy as the mob was an internal threat.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #977
milost
Banned User

That's much, much better, thank you. Great job!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #978
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Welcome....anything I can do to help out

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #979
milost
Banned User

Did you just subtlety insinuate that I'm a dumb *** that needs things spelled out with out stating that I'm a dumb *** that needs things spelled out?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #980
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Says the person who told me "great job" like I'm a child, huh?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #981
milost
Banned User

Well it's not like I can give you a cookie or a sticker through the Internet can I?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #982
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanNeverTells View Post
What's the point of bringing up the perceived "flaw" of not showing Bruce getting back into Gotham again? Really. Just tell me. So that it can be justified that this film is STUPID, a FILM FOR IDIOTS, that it was WRITTEN AND DIRECTED LAZILY BY LAZY PEOPLE THAT HASN'T PUT THEIR HEART INTO IT? We know that the character of Bruce will get back inside Gotham, in one way or another. What would a three-second scene (really?) will add into the entire film?

This film doesn't show a badass Batman that can do a badass kung-fu, badass jump, badass kick, badass spin, quip out a badass one-liner, throw a badass batarang in a badass way, and people who always want to see action every 3 seconds couldn't just have that. Less action, less badassery = worst film ever, therefore the non-stop nitpicking. That's the basic of it really.
That's my point though. People need to stop acting as if them showing how Bruce got in suddenly fixes every major problem the film has; it doesn't.

Quote:
Can't we just simply accept the story the makers of the film wants to tell us and enjoy it? I am not simply asking it for TDKR, because I've been having this line of thought for other films, so that I can simply enjoy it.
I enjoyed TDKR. I won't lie and say that I wanted to rip my eyes out while watching it (though the ending did do a lot of damage to the Batman fan that lies within me ). I may sound like I despise it but I actually think that it's ok. However, just because I enjoyed something doesn't mean that I will dismiss all the flaws in the film and say that the movie is good.

Can we just simply accept the story the makers of the film want to tell us? Yes. As long as that story fits with the character development, themes, and elements established in the previous 2 movies. My point, as well as the point of others here, is that TDKR doesn't do that. We believe it ignores and contradicts many things from the previous films, mainly things from TDK.

Quote:
The Matrix sequels, the Star Wars prequels, these films received non-stop nitpicking years after people originally see them, and the base reason for all the complaints is really just "it wasn't told the way I wanted them told".
....no. Nonononononono. You did NOT just simplify all the problems people have with the prequel trilogy as nitpicks because they didn't tell the story people wanted them to tell.

Never been a big Matrix fan though.

Quote:
These films are flawed yes, ALL FILMS ARE, but it can be enjoyed, if we just get all preconceived expectations and notions out of our mind and accept the stories. Nolan and company wanted to tell a story about a Batman in his lowest point in his life, in a very weakened state. What's wrong with that? Because he's only doing his Batman thing for a year? Come on, people, it's just a detail. A very minor one. IN THE END a lot of people enjoyed the story that was told. We fans have other Batman stories to turn into, A LOT OF OTHER stories from a MANY VARYING SOURCES. We have television, comic books, games. What difference these films are going to make for these other stories?
Already addressed the bold part. Nothing is wrong with telling the story you want to tell as you respect the essence of the characters and don't ignore/contradict the things established in the previous films. Both things that TDKR didn't do, in my honest opinion.

Bruce only being Batman for one year is not a minor thing. He needs more experience than that and it goes back to what I said before about TDKR contradicting things - both BB and TDK established the notion that he would be Batman for a long time.

Other people liking the film does not influence my opinion. They are free to like the movie; I am free to not like it. Plus, there are tons of bad movies that are loved by the GA (i.e. Transformers) but that doesn't make them good. The "guess what? a lot of people like it" argument is never a good argument. Regardless of how good or bad a movie is, that argument is never a valid one.

You're right that TDKR is never going to make major differences to the comics, TV shows, and games we love. But what does that prove? My problems with TDKR have nothing to do with how it affects Batman in other mediums. My problems lie entirely within the film.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #983
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Well it's not like I can give you a cookie or a sticker through the Internet can I?
Well I don't like C-O-O-K-I-E-S or S-T-I-C-K-E-R-S

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #984
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Here:
Still not good enough.

Here:

Quote:
Getting rid of the League of Shadows would not have made the film any better, IMO. Bringing that in this conclusion to Bruce Wayne's story that had a VERY prominent role in the beginning of Bruce Wayne's story made the trilogy as a whole more exciting, IMO. The LoS was this external threat to Batman in Nolan's trilogy as the mob was an internal threat.
Fixed.

The big TDKR debate has been going on for such a long time now that I can no longer continue it and put energy into it without a degree of humor constantly being there . I'm sure most people here would agree with me on that.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #985
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post

Fixed.

The big TDKR debate has been going on for such a long time now that I can no longer continue it and put energy into it without a degree of humor constantly being there . I'm sure most people here would agree with me on that.

I take it back Anno, Shikamaru deserves the cookie instead. I'm disappointed son.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #986
JackWhite
Third Man

lol, we had some good discussions earlier. Now it's getting ugly....again.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #987
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Forums can just get pretty grueling sometimes. At the end of the day we're all Bat-fans, I bet most of us would get along just fine in real life and even be able to have fun doing a Mystery Science Theater to TDKR while watching it- yes the both the people who hated it AND loved it.

I just watched The Office finale, so I'm feeling all warm 'n fuzzy inside. Bite me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 05-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #988
RiddleMeThat
Newbie First Class

Quite honestly, I enjoyed it more than the other two films. I thought this was the most entertaining of the three.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #989
milost
Banned User

Is that you outriddled?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #990
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

^^ That was my first thought too lol.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #991
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Forums can just get pretty grueling sometimes. At the end of the day we're all Bat-fans, I bet most of us would get along just fine in real life and even be able to have fun doing a Mystery Science Theater to TDKR while watching it- yes the both the people who hated it AND loved it.

I just watched The Office finale, so I'm feeling all warm 'n fuzzy inside. Bite me.
Haha, same here man. I can't believe it's over. Last year it was TDKR, this year it's The Office.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #992
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Haha, same here man. I can't believe it's over. Last year it was TDKR, this year it's The Office.
And soon to be Dexter and Breaking Bad. So many goodbyes all at once

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #993
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
At the end of the day we're all Bat-fans, I bet most of us would get along just fine in real life and even be able to have fun doing a Mystery Science Theater to TDKR while watching it- yes the both the people who hated it AND loved it.
That's true. I haven't admitted this before but every time I argue over TDKR with most people (there are some exceptions), I always feel a bit bad on the inside since I know we would all get along well for almost any other topic that's Batman related.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #994
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
That's true. I haven't admitted this before but every time I argue over TDKR with most people (there are some exceptions), I always feel a bit bad on the inside since I know we would all get along well for almost any other topic that's Batman related.
Yeah, I think it's important to keep in perspective. The only reason two people would ever passionately debate this film is because they both are passionate about the character of Batman.

Sure, the TDK trilogy popularized the character to where most people "like" Batman. But there are Bat-fans and then there are Bat-fans, ya know?

Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #995
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Still not good enough.

Here:

Fixed.

And don't worry, on the other side we're out of energy to the point of just laughing with your humor as well, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
I take it back Anno, Shikamaru deserves the cookie instead. I'm disappointed son.
Well now you're slow in the area of thinking I still wanted a cookie in the first place

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #996
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's important to keep in perspective. The only reason two people would ever passionately debate this film is because they both are passionate about the character of Batman.
That is true. But on top of that, I also believe that what the "anti TDKR team" (for lack of better term ) should be aware of is the difference between a debate with a fan of TDKR and stupid, pointless, redundant arguments with a Nolanite. Nolanites are not the same thing as Nolan fans, much like how fanboys aren't the same thing as fans. I feel that a lot of us - including me sometimes - are often really fed up and bugged by the Nolanites on this site, as well as on other sides, and carry a bit of that aggressiveness back into the debates and the discussions with the more casual people. If I ever brought a bit of that into any of our discussions, I do apologize.

Quote:
Sure, the TDK trilogy popularized the character to where most people "like" Batman. But there are Bat-fans and then there are Bat-fans, ya know?
I slightly disagree. There are Bat-fans and then there are Bat-freaks, who were turned into just that by the greatness that is Batman much like the freaks in Gotham .

Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #997
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Lol. We're all guilty of being over the top in our debates. All in all, we love our Batman. And that's what it comes down to wether your favorite film is The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Returns or Batman & Robin.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #998
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
And soon to be Dexter and Breaking Bad. So many goodbyes all at once
Dexter ending and Breaking Bad ending is going to be the death of me...and if I'm still alive, Supernatural's ending is going to be the final stake, haha.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #999
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
That is true. But on top of that, I also believe that what the "anti TDKR team" (for lack of better term ) should be aware of is the difference between a debate with a fan of TDKR and stupid, pointless, redundant arguments with a Nolanite. Nolanites are not the same thing as Nolan fans, much like how fanboys aren't the same thing as fans. I feel that a lot of us - including me sometimes - are often really fed up and bugged by the Nolanites on this site, as well as on other sides, and carry a bit of that aggressiveness back into the debates and the discussions with the more casual people. If I ever brought a bit of that into any of our discussions, I do apologize.
That's big of you to say, and I appreciate it. Honestly, I think the whole "Nolanite" thing is rather unfortunate. I'm a Nolan fan, thank you very much. I like his movies. A lot. But a few knuckleheads (the types who write death threats to critics) have sadly contributed to making that an uncool thing and it's easy to get looped in with those types when debates get heated. I'm glad posters like yourself and others have stuck around long enough to get a better sense for who is more reasonable and level-headed in their fandom.

Quote:
I slightly disagree. There are Bat-fans and then there are Bat-freaks, who were turned into just that by the greatness that is Batman much like the freaks in Gotham .
"You see thisss is how CRAZY Batman's made SHH!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Dexter ending and Breaking Bad ending is going to be the death of me...and if I'm still alive, Supernatural's ending is going to be the final stake, haha.
I'm honestly not emotionally prepared for the one-two punch of Dexter and Breaking Bad ending so close together, lol.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #1000
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is true. But on top of that, I also believe that what the "anti TDKR team"
YOU ADMITTED IT! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

Also, we all need to go just bond over watching Batman & Robin. We'll go to Kane's house, since we know he has it.

Closed Thread