The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

View Poll Results: Will Michael Massee return?
Yes. 23 56.10%
No. 18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Will Michael Massee return?

Michael Massee was credited as the Man in the Shadows in Amazing Spider-Man.

In his short scene with Rhys Ifans as Curt Connors, he didn't show his face and only had about 3 lines. In that short amount of time, he sure got me intrigued as to who on earth the man in the shadows is. Many thought he would play a number of characters, from Osborn to Vulture to Mysterio. But will he return?

I for one, would have loved to see him play Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. But now that Chris Cooper has been cast, that doesn't seem likely. However, I still hold by the belief that while Chris Cooper will likely make a great Osborn, Massee could possibly make a better Goblin. I for one, have never seen a Goblin-worthy performance from Chris Cooper. In other words, I've never seen him so psychotic that he's scary. At least not in the vein of Dafoe or Massee. Please see if you can prove me wrong.

Massee on the other hand, well... watch this if you need some proof:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Now, at that, I think that the two actors look similar enough to see a Norman/Goblin split personality shared between the two of them. He is taking a serum to reverse the effects of a fatal disease, I wouldn't be surprised if he looked a little different/younger/stronger/more insane. Heres a comparison:

Or at the very least, Green Goblin's voice could be done by Michael Massee. Norman's body changes physically when he takes the Goblin serum. He gets stronger, faster. He changes mentally. He changes in almost every way, why wouldn't his voice change too?

What do you think?

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 03-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Will Michael Massee return?

Also, has anyone seen something like this in film before? I can't think of anything, short of Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk (and his voice over work in any Hulk film since).

Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Oh, and another Andrew Garfield movie, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Where Tony is played by each Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Creator
Banned User

I doubt he'll be in the movie at all. He was place into the shadows for a reason, so that almost anyone can take his place, a la Chris Cooper.

Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Ifans said the guy in the shadows wasn't Norman, why doesn't anyone believe him?

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Ifans said the guy in the shadows wasn't Norman, why doesn't anyone believe him?
Maybe he was actually telling the truth. I always assumed that he was just lying to trick audiences (actors lie all the time), but maybe the man in the shadows is legitimately not Norman Osborn. We'll see. It could be Mysterio, Eddie Brock's father, or just ANYONE. Or it could legitimately be Norman Osborn, and they just recast him.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Picard Sisko

Your poll should have a "maybe" or "I Don't know" option.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Illustrious Var
Mentally Unstable

I'm pretty sure that Massee was just a fill in Osborn and Ifans was telling a half lie by saying that the man in the shadows wasn't Norman Osborn, because technically he wouldn't be the actual actor to portray him.

That's my thoughts on it but Massee could in fact be a different villain, we'll just have to wait and see.

Illustrious Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Picard Sisko

Maybe he could play Silvermane or another crime boss?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Masse could have been a number of different people. I still think it was Norman.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Not Norman, but his maniacal alter ego.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Oh, and another Andrew Garfield movie, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Where Tony is played by each Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell.
Massee didn't die, though.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
chaseter
Bland User

Do people really care if he does or doesn't? He's a background tv actor....I don't get the adoration for the guy on here.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Do people really care if he does or doesn't? He's a background tv actor....I don't get the adoration for the guy on here.
I assume youre also not a fan of Shailene Woodley then?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #15
ImAlwaysAngry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Me either. It's strange.

Nothing against the guy, but this is hardly on par with replacing Howard with Cheadle or something.

ImAlwaysAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
CashforStash
Baned User (get it)

tbh, when I saw the concept art for Norman Osborn in the various meetings, I can tell you right off the bat that "the man in the shadows" theme is very much present in ASM2.

EDIT: I cannot say more about this subject, so don't bother PM'ing me about it or asking me to view the concept work i did because I will simply ignore it, as I give out a little of bit of info back in December about my concept work i did, I got a warning from Sony. If your interested in seeing my original work or anything not ASM2 related I'll be more then happy to share that if you PM me.

Last edited by CashforStash; 03-03-2013 at 02:24 AM.
CashforStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I assume youre also not a fan of Shailene Woodley then?
If Shailene says one sentence and we never see her face...then I would not care if she does not return for ASM3. That would make your comparison apt.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
elsewhere
super

Quote:
Distinguishable profile and voice. Reminds me of Brad Douriff.

elsewhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I'm happy if he's replaced. I think he was supposed to be Norman Osborn, which I really didn't like. I'm much more satisfied with Cooper getting that role. And I can't see Massee as any other character either.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashforStash View Post
tbh, when I saw the concept art for Norman Osborn in the various meetings, I can tell you right off the bat that "the man in the shadows" theme is very much present in ASM2.

EDIT: I cannot say more about this subject, so don't bother PM'ing me about it or asking me to view the concept work i did because I will simply ignore it, as I give out a little of bit of info back in December about my concept work i did, I got a warning from Sony. If your interested in seeing my original work or anything not ASM2 related I'll be more then happy to share that if you PM me.
Interesting

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I'm happy if he's replaced. I think he was supposed to be Norman Osborn, which I really didn't like. I'm much more satisfied with Cooper getting that role. And I can't see Massee as any other character either.
I find this universal acceptance from the fans pretty interesting as for the longest people said Massee was a great choice and then when Harry Osborn was cast, people kept showing how the two actors looked "so much alike" until Cooper was cast, lol.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
Creator
Banned User

Cooper is the better actor over Massee (Norman or not), to me, I can care less about Norman/Harry looking exactly a like. Just give us a good performance on screen.

Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Victarion
Cut

Massee was one of the things I didn't like in TASM. His voice was far too hammy.

If you want marvel babbies to stop torchering Idris Elba, copy and paste this into your signature.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I couldn't say he was one of the things I didn't like simply because he was in a scene I didn't even care for.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #25
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Massee's appearance was post-credits right? That kind of makes him even easier to replace since not 100 percent of everyone even saw that scene or has him in their mind as Norman. Just a thought.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote