Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #926
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
A third first Class movie will probably be set in the past decade again. And its another origin story/prequel/another movie that will make more continuity errors.
Not if they use DoFP to break away from the original trilogy, and establish a completely new timeline.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #927
JP
Smelly

Am I late? Was this update from Bleeding Cool posted??!?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/...medium=twitter

Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #928
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

yup. ur late.

Eva Green for Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix if Marvel gets the rights back for X-Men.

“It is some kind of a cosmic force that somehow felt drawn to Jean and her powers. It inhabited her body and mind, which made Jean vulnerable to losing control of her extended powers. I’ve seen what this cosmic entity can do, for I looked into Jean’s conscious mind and saw some things I didn’t like and Scott, believe me; it is unlike anything we’ve encountered of our time.” - Xavier
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #929
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Not if they use DoFP to break away from the original trilogy, and establish a completely new timeline.
Just like what Star Trek 11 did?

Thats not gonna work for the X-Men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
Why? Because MF, JM, JL, & NH can't lead a good X-Men movie? Come on now. The FC crew is a major reason behind this "momentum". A 3rd film can only bring good things.
May I remind you, First Class is the lowest grossing X-Men movie so far.

Just because it was a good movie, it doesn't mean it brought back the momentum of this series. If they didn't bring back the OT cast, for this 7th X-Men movie, there wouldn't be a lot of buzz right now.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-10-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #930
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
yup. ur late.
I meant the second pics...

Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #931
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:

May I remind you, First Class is the lowest grossing X-Men movie so far.

Just because it was a good movie, it doesn't mean it brought back the momentum of this series. If they didn't bring back the OT cast, for this 7th X-Men movie, there wouldn't be a lot of buzz right now.
first class didn't do great because of films like X3 and Wolverine being incredible let downs, the buzz here is just because the old cast are back after so long, it wouldn't be there anymore if they made an X4 because the novelty is gone

first class managed to do what many an audience thought was lost in an Xmen film though

Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #932
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Again, people are blaming X3/Origins for the shortcomings of First Class? Like seriously, the general public didn't hate X3/Origins. Its just the people in the internet/critics and fan-boys. Most people know how the Twilight / Transformers movie sucked but they got stronger and stronger at the box-office for every new film release.

First Class just didn't have the big characters thats why it didn't appeal that much to the general public. They had Professor X/Magneto but they were the younger versions.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #933
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Again, people are blaming X3/Origins for the shortcomings of First Class? Like seriously, the general public didn't hate X3/Origins. Its just the people in the internet/critics and fan-boys. Most people know how the Twilight / Transformers movie sucked but they got stronger and stronger at the box-office for every new film release.

First Class just didn't have the big characters thats why it didn't appeal that much to the general public. They had Professor X/Magneto but they were the younger versions.
its taken them long enough to bring the original cast back after x3, infact for a while it seemed we may not get an X4, and they didnt seem to wanna follow up to origins, so obviously they didnt go down that well.

And i think if it wasnt for the avengers we probably wouldnt be gettin this cross over film

Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #934
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Even if X3 and Origins were good movies. Origins wouldn't still outgross X3 since its a prequel and FC wouldn't still outgross Origins simply because none of the original cast is in the movie. Thats like saying Puss the Boots didn't outgross the Shrek films because the last 2 Shrek films weren't praised by the critics.

And it only took them long enough to bring the original back because the producers wanted to make spin-offs. Plus besides Origins/First Class, they had more ideas for spin-offs. And before The Avengers became the biggest superhero film ever and before First Class was relesed, the producers already had an idea for X4 and that was DOFP.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #935
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:

Why not?

And if DoFP is a success it will also give a boost to all the FC characters.

Plus I can't see what this proposed X4 will tie with. We'd already have seen the post-X3 future of the original characters in DoFP, and unless they're planning more post-apocalyptic films that future is essentially a dead end. What is X4 meant to be then, post-X3 future Round Two? Or something that's not tied to the original trilogy's events much at all? In that case, it sounds very much like a reboot… except with the same actors playing the same characters twice over.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #936
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Why not? And if DoFP is a success it will also give a boost to all the FC characters.

Plus I can't see what this proposed X4 will tie with. We'd already have seen the post-X3 future of the original characters in DoFP, and unless they're planning more post-apocalyptic films that future is essentially a dead end. What is X4 meant to be then, post-X3 future Round Two? Or something that's not tied to the original trilogy's events much at all? In that case, it sounds very much like a reboot… except with the same actors playing the same characters twice over.
Because if they continue with FC, it means they will have to or probably reintroduce Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman, Storm, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Colossus and anyone that they want to use again that already appeared in the original trilogy.

And unlike the first Five Star Trek movies/Star Trek 11, the gap between the original trilogy and First Class is very short and people will be just confused with this idea of alternate universe.

So after the future is altered in DOFp, they should just move on with the post-DOFP period in the future. They are just backtracking if they want to continue the series with the FC characters. The FC characters are set in the past decade while the original cast is set in the present decade. and its better if they just move on to the present decade/period.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #937
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
So after the future is altered in DOFp, they should just move on with the post-DOFP period in the future. They are just backtracking if they want to continue the series with the FC characters. The FC characters are set in the past decade while the original cast is set in the present decade. and its better if they just move on to the present decade/period.
Well that's my question - what exactly is this post-DoFP future and how does it relate to the original trilogy? You're going to have movies with the original characters that don't really link up with the original trilogy, and that's not going to be confusing to the audiences?

I don't see what's wrong with re-introducing characters either.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #938
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I think reintroducing Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman in a First Class movie would just confuse casual viewers. I would rather choose a reboot rather than Star Trek 11 approach.

Reboot = a total start from scratch
Star Trek 11 approach = confusing to casual viewers and it is still connected to the previous X-Men movies.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #939
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
And it only took them long enough to bring the original back because the producers wanted to make spin-offs. Plus besides Origins/First Class, they had more ideas for spin-offs. And before The Avengers became the biggest superhero film ever and before First Class was relesed, the producers already had an idea for X4 and that was DOFP.
Origins wasnt exactly a grand victory for Fox and got mixed to scathing reviews everywhere. While not as bad as us comic fans the audience reaction wasn't exactly stellar either. Everyone involved is ashamed of it and the studio switched it's plans from that point. While it's not the biggest failure it did get Fox on a different track. If Origins was a huge success we may not have had FC or Singer back.

Last edited by def28; 04-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #940
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
I think reintroducing Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman in a First Class movie would just confuse casual viewers. I would rather choose a reboot rather than Star Trek 11 approach.

Star Trek 11 approach = confusing to casual viewers and it is still connected to the previous X-Men movies.
Agreed 150%. When they've got as much juice they can out of this franchise, they need to just "pinch it off" and reboot the damn thing already.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #941
JP
Smelly

If the general audience is confused about where the franchise is headed after DoFP, then they failed.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #942
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Agreed 150%. When they've got as much juice they can out of this franchise, they need to just "pinch it off" and reboot the damn thing already.
LOL, you only agreed with me because I suggested reboot over the Star Trek 11 approach.

But I seriously hope we get at least 5 movies with the original cast and end the series with the original cast then after that, I wouldn't mind if FOX reboots this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Origins wasnt exactly a grand victory for Fox and got mixed to scathing reviews everywhere. While not as bad as us comic fans the audience reaction wasn't exactly stellar either. Everyone involved is ashamed of it and the studio switched it's plans from that point. While it's not the biggest failure it did get Fox on a different track. If Origins was a huge success we may not have had FC or Singer back.
Origgins wasn't a grand victory but it didn't stop them for making another Wolverine movie.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #943
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
And I'll repeat my question - how is it not going to be confusing making post-DoFP movies with the original cast that are not tied to the original trilogy, and having the same cast play different variations of the same characters?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #944
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Origgins wasn't a grand victory but it didn't stop them for making another Wolverine movie.
Yeah of course, Wolverine=money. They have a completely different creative team, and its even been said The Wolverine and FC were the new starting points. Its not called Wolverine 2. They are trying to distance it and start anew.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #945
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
And I'll repeat my question - how is it not going to be confusing making post-DoFP movies with the original cast that are not tied to the original trilogy, and having the same cast play different variations of the same characters?
Who says the things that happened in the original trilogy will be erased when they altered the future, its probably just the "Sentinels period" that will be erased from existence. After that, its probably back to post-X3, back to the time where the Sentinels didn't exist.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #946
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

So there basically will be two versions of the post-X3 future? And that's not confusing?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #947
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah of course, Wolverine=money. They have a completely different creative team, and its even been said The Wolverine and FC were the new starting points. Its not called Wolverine 2. They are trying to distance it and start anew.
Before Origins was released, they already planned to do the Japan storyline for the 2nd Wolverine movie. So Origins being a terrible didn't really change their plans. And First Class' existence has nothing to do with the reception of Origins.

Quote:
So there basically will be two versions of the post-X3 future? And that's not confusing?
No its not because they will probably make it clear that they went to the past to change the future. Thats the point of Days of Future Past.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-10-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #948
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Mrs. Vimes, yes it would all be confusing and messy. A hard reboot (not what was attempted with FC) would solve all of these problems, including threats to world peace, hunger and high gas prices.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #949
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Before Origins was released, it was already on their plan to do the Japan storyline for the 2nd Wolverine movie. So Origins being a terrible didn't really change their plans. And First Class' existence has nothing to do with the reception of Origins.
That doesn't change the fact that this film is trying to separate itself from the previous movie. Who knows, it may have been set directly after Origins not post X3 and written by the same guy who did Origins.

I'm sure Fox going back to Singer did have something to do with the reception to Origins and the mistakes they made in X3. They had many other plans and they went back to the guy who made it work and let him do what he wanted. I find it hard to believe Fox didnt learn their lesson and this was their grand scheme. They know they ****ed up and want things in a better position, now Singer gets to fix it.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #950
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
No its not because they will probably make it clear that they went to the past to change the future. Thats the point of Days of Future Past.
So basically the explanation involves an alternate universe. Why then would the same "alternate universe" concept confuse the viewers if the filmmakers wanted to use it for splitting the First Class universe from the original trilogy?

And as for re-introducing the characters: well haven't they already done that? FC introduced the young Professor X, Magneto, Mystique and Beast; did that confuse the viewers? Why couldn't they introduce young Jean, Scott, Storm etc. in the same fashion? And if they wanted to use Wolverine, he doesn't have a young version so they could just use Hugh Jackman again - just like they did in FC.

Closed Thread