The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #251
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Selina does the same move to Stryver twice, so it's two different takes of the same part but made to seem sequential.

I think there's another instance of that happening on the rooftop fight too, and probably some other ones in TDK too. I can almost guarantee that in both instances Nolan/Smith were aware of what they were doing but thought it helped pacing/rhythm.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #252
Tequilla
Side-Kick

He reuses the same moment , under different shots.

But that's not an editing problem. It's an editing decision. First her disarming him and punching him , then he wants to cut to the cops starting to get closer to the action , and he gets back to the scene showing the same stuff just under different setups , so that she completes the action (the youtube doesnt show the continuation , going for the table , etc).

The big decision there was to fracture the scene with a shot from the cops showing up. The moment he did that , he needed to reuse some part because it cuts at a very particular moment , so going back at it , it would have been very awkard. That way is more seemly (i have never even noticed it eheh) .

And he uses it properly . First a little more open shot , and in front of her , cops , then when he gets back its closer and then cuts right away to her back after the punch.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #253
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
He reuses the same moment , under different shots.

But that's not an editing problem. It's an editing decision. First her disarming him and punching him , then he wants to cut to the cops starting to get closer to the action , and he gets back to the scene showing the same stuff just under different setups , so that she completes the action (the youtube doesnt show the continuation , going for the table , etc).

The big decision there was to fracture the scene with a shot from the cops showing up. The moment he did that , he needed to reuse some part because it cuts at a very particular moment , so going back at it , it would have been very awkard. That way is more seemly (i have never even noticed it eheh) .

And he uses it properly . First a little more open shot , and in front of her , cops , then when he gets back its closer and then cuts right away to her back after the punch.
Thanks for the explanation. You definitely cleared some things up.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #254
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I really wish that was in the movie. Or maybe a flashback of Selina asking how he got there and he answers "walked" with that image.

It would be a great visual that helps set up again how amazingly skilled Wayne/The Batman is. He can without hesitation cross the thinnest of ices.
And, would have mirrored Begins...

I N T E R S T E L L A R
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #255
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Selina does the same move to Stryver twice, so it's two different takes of the same part but made to seem sequential.

I think there's another instance of that happening on the rooftop fight too, and probably some other ones in TDK too. I can almost guarantee that in both instances Nolan/Smith were aware of what they were doing but thought it helped pacing/rhythm.
Yes there is another one of these (i just checked) in the rooftop (great eye !...after knowing there might be one , is easier to catch it)

It involves a guy with a ponytail getting punched by Batman (and Selina spinning and kicking) right before they are interrupted by the shots. He uses a different setup with a much wider shot.

Last edited by Tequilla; 03-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #256
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Hmm...so if people are complaining about Bruce getting back if no one can come in or out of the city, then how is Bane able to?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #257
shauner111
Side-Kick

They're both ninjas, that should be enough of an explanation within an action movie. But yes I agree that a 5 second shot of Bruce walking the ice would have been really amazing to see.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #258
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
They're both ninjas, that should be enough of an explanation within an action movie.
I know. I just find it funny that no one seems to gripe about Bane being able to leave and return when the city is on lock down, but say Bruce can't do the same.
Quote:
But yes I agree that a 5 second shot of Bruce walking the ice would have been really amazing to see.
Would have been a cool shot for a night scene.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #259
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Bane didn't leave and return when the city is on lockdown though. He brought Bruce to the pit before Gotham was shut off from the world (obviously).

Just sayin'.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #260
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Hmm...You're probably right. I haven't seen the movie in a while. Go bad memory!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #261
georgec
Not a hero

Bane could have just walked in on the bridge. The army wouldn't have touched him since doing so would result in someone setting off the nuke.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #262
vanson
Side-Kick

i never noticed that editing thing with selina and stryver.. so they did everything right imo. I would not go so far that its a genius move, but its certainly a smart editing choice..

and its always easy to nitpick stuff when you see a movie a dozen times. no one knows what choices they had to face or make while editing.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #263
Anno_Domini
Banned User

All the times I've seen TDKR, I would have never guessed they re-used the same scene of Selina/Stryver, haha.

Quote:
Bane didn't leave and return when the city is on lockdown though. He brought Bruce to the pit before Gotham was shut off from the world (obviously).

Just sayin'.
It does make you wonder, though, how Bane, someone who wears a freaking mask and is on CIA's radar, can get to one country to another. Surprised no one has ever mentioned this while people can mention so many other things about the film.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #264
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I figure he gets around in the LOS jet from the prologue. Now, where they store that thing and where they take off from is anyone's guess

Side note, I just was browsing some of the old TDKR threads, skimming the trailer reactions and such. Man, I really miss the hype of a new Nolan Batman movie. It really was something indescribable. Every single frame that got released was overanalyzed from every which angle. It's no wonder everyone had some sort of version of the movie in their head .

But still, good times. I knew I was gonna miss it all when it was over, and I do. I do.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #265
Anno_Domini
Banned User

LoS jet? Didn't look like a jet, lol. I do think that's the plane Talia was talking about though when she wanted to leave with Bruce.

That's a Nolan movie for you. I have never felt a CBM was overanalyzed as much as a CBM directed by Nolan simply because Nolan gave off so many ideas in just one frame.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #266
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Lol you're right, it's totally not a jet considering it has all those propellers. But yeah, I figured it was the same plane too. It think that line from Talia was a way of hinting/foreshadowing the way Bruce would be taken to the pit.

Really, most of her lines as Miranda have a double meaning when you re-watch. I still say she's an underrated character. Like most fans I'd probably rank her last among the Nolan villains, but that's still no insult. I enjoyed and appreciated her inclusion in Rises. I know some people think her twist was just put in as an attempt to complicate the plot, but to me if there was no al Ghul in a story that dealt with the LoS, the story would lack that connective tissue that truly makes everything go full circle. I much prefer Bane with the Talia backstory than I would have a Bane who was just an ex-LoS guy who's now the big bad in town. Using Talia was a way to incorporate the larger world of the Batman mythos, give Bane some humanity beneath all the brutality and bring the series full circle to the themes of legacy and living up to the ideals of the father.

#proTalia

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #267
Anno_Domini
Banned User

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hate these '4 Minutes or Less' things, but I can't help it...seeing this kinda made me smile because of all the crap TDKR gets and the almost no crap TDK gets.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #268
milost
Banned User

The only thing that bugs me about The Dark Knight is the editing when the Batpod shoots through the glass door into the shops or whatever. It's pretty bad. I noticed it before the film even came out when they had those preview clips. The clip was "Now there's a Batman", if I remember correctly.

I was like, "oh, they'll fix that, it's pretty damn noticeable", but nope they never did. It's pretty glaring.

Gordon's speech, as cool as the ending is, is also a little too melodramatic for my taste.

I would have liked it if Joker leaving the party (which I believe was filmed) was in there as well, along with some of the great lines that were cut like "nothing fair came out of the barrel of a gun" and "Dent knew the risks" instead of "RAAAACHELLL".

Last edited by milost; 03-20-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #269
BCDawg97
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Really, most of her lines as Miranda have a double meaning when you re-watch. I still say she's an underrated character. Like most fans I'd probably rank her last among the Nolan villains, but that's still no insult. I enjoyed and appreciated her inclusion in Rises. I know some people think her twist was just put in as an attempt to complicate the plot, but to me if there was no al Ghul in a story that dealt with the LoS, the story would lack that connective tissue that truly makes everything go full circle. I much prefer Bane with the Talia backstory than I would have a Bane who was just an ex-LoS guy who's now the big bad in town. Using Talia was a way to incorporate the larger world of the Batman mythos, give Bane some humanity beneath all the brutality and bring the series full circle to the themes of legacy and living up to the ideals of the father.

#proTalia
Agreed on the 2nd viewing of her lines. One of her first lines I think is something to the effect of balance/justice(?) which is taken nearly directly from Ras in BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hate these '4 Minutes or Less' things, but I can't help it...seeing this kinda made me smile because of all the crap TDKR gets and the almost no crap TDK gets.
I am reposting something of mine from another thread because I agree with this ^ as well. In fact, half the stuff in TDK I didn't think about until all the nitpicking with Rises began.

My issue is that people slam Rises for the same issues you can apply to the "holy grail" of DK. People nitpick various aspects of Rises that go "unseen" such as Bruce getting back to Gotham but don't question the logic of the Joker loading boats and a hospital with explosives (or how these acts don't make him a schemer with plans). Or how in Begins, they don't show Batman actually searching for the apt after interrogating Flass. He just shows up at it in the next scene - ala DK where he finds Dent with Schiff. Shouldn't that result in posts of "OMG - they didn't show him travelling through Gotham!!1!11!!" ? If there were ever "Because he's Batman" cards to play, it was then.

Obviously logistics of each particular sequence of events are different - but the idea is the same. We basically have to suspend some disbelief. I don't get giving BB/TDK a pass just because Ledger's Joker was such an awesome character (which it was). Of course, not everyone falls into this category of giving a pass to one but not the other. My point is that you should still be able to enjoy each of the movies for what they are - movies about Batman telling one person's interpretation. Seems to me that Rises continued the same basic themes/universe laid out in the first 2.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #270
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

My only real complaint that's not a nitpick with The Dark Knight is that I find Gordon's fake death unnecessary. Pretty much everything else is perfect or in the vicinity of perfect.

EDIT: Other than the Bat-voice

Free Original Music
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #271
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

lol, I was thinking about posting this, but figured I'd be too late.

I like how they complain about the ceiling lights going out in the bunker while Bruce and Alfred start walking. I mean, really?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #272
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
My only real complaint that's not a nitpick with The Dark Knight is that I find Gordon's fake death unnecessary. Pretty much everything else is perfect or in the vicinity of perfect.

EDIT: Other than the Bat-voice

To this day I still don't know if Batman and Dent were in on it or not, and if they were, how.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #273
JackWhite
Third Man

If TDKR were as tight a film as the first two I don't think it would have been nit picked liked this. Sure, there would still be some blatantly negative posturing if it didn't top TDK times 10, but all the weird editing that is sprinkled throughout the film clearly hurt it in that respect, which is terribly unfortunate because it did not have to be that way.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #274
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
To this day I still don't know if Batman and Dent were in on it or not, and if they were, how.
Dent clearly wasn't. Remember how shocked he was when Gordon opened the door to his convoy:

"You do like to play things pretty close to the chest."

Batman, I'm not so sure about.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #275
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Dent clearly wasn't. Remember how shocked he was when Gordon opened the door to his convoy:

"You do like to play things pretty close to the chest."

Batman, I'm not so sure about.
And then Dent is pretty upset about Gordon's "death" when he finds out about Rachel being next too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
If TDKR were as tight a film as the first two I don't think it would have been nit picked liked this. Sure, there would still be some blatantly negative posturing if it didn't top TDK times 10, but all the weird editing that is sprinkled throughout the film clearly hurt it in that respect, which is terribly unfortunate because it did not have to be that way.

Yep, pretty much. I agree.

It's not like the people that rip TDKR are just hating to hate, it's not just nitpicks that cause people to criticize it. If it wasn't, then how come they wouldn't like it?

Closed Thread