Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #951
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
It's not about technology, read what I wrote on this page.

IMO that's the way it should be. As a director/writer you should have the control and freedom to tell whatever story it is you want to tell. If there's too many cooks in the kitchen or theyre hearing everyone's opinion, it becomes very limited. Art shouldn't be watered down like that. Nolan told his story despite what others thought. WB gave him that freedom, and that's how it should be in Hollywood as far as im concerned. This is why I enjoy independent films a lot more.
Of course!!!! Agreed. But you have to know where to draw the line and where to expand while also keeping focus. With all that freedom watered down is exactly what I think we got. It didn't feel like and independent film for me. It showed signs but after it was over I found it a little too safe. It's his vision but I don't believe it was his best effort seeing his track record.

Quote:
I preferred the move of making Bane not able to take the mask off. It was a great parallel. Bruce can walk away from his pain, he has the ability to...it's a matter of choice. Bane doesn't have that choice. He's on a suicidal mission. He can't escape his pain even if he wants to.

Sorry but im going to side with Nolan's interpretation on that one.
Indeed it was a nice parallel. I still believe it boxed the story in and what could have been achieved with the character for an even greater pay off.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #952
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Speaking of big epic finale,

I hate the nuclear bomb plot, especially the moment when Pavil steps back after tinkering with the bomb for minutes and says "It is now a bomb". Its just soooo stupid. The whole thing was Michael Bay worthy. Not that I don't like Michael Bay and his fun films, but I expect more from Nolan. I wanted something deeper than a convoluted plot to nuke gotham. Everything revolving around that bomb and Bane's and Talia's ignorant plot makes me want to punch a bear into hibernation.

Last edited by Marvolo; 05-13-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #953
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post

I hate the nuclear bomb plot, especially the moment when Pavil steps back after tinkering with the bomb for minutes and says "It is now a bomb". Its just soooo stupid. The whole thing was Michael Bay worthy. Not that I don't like Michael Bay and his fun films, but I expect more from Nolan. I wanted something deeper than a convoluted plot to nuke gotham. Everything revolving around that bomb and Bane's and Talia's ignorant plot makes me want to punch a bear into hibernation.
http://youtu.be/fLyoog562x4?t=1m30s

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #954
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #955
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post

I saw what you did there

Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #956
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the moment Fox started fiddling around and pushing buttons on the console, they'd have shot him in the head and used his lifeless hand to activate the reactor lol. I highly doubt it was as simple as pushing one button.

I love HISHE videos though, they're funny as hell.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #957
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Yeah, but you're not a billionaire that has a CEO inventor that can give you "just the thing" for your knee injury.

Bruce Wayne does. It's ludicrous that he wouldn't have one or wasn't given one during those 8 years. Not to be able bodied for Batman (though that would be nice if Gotham wasn't miraculously cleaned of "serious crime"), but for Bruce Wayne. I know he was frozen in time but he wouldn't even try to walk right without a cane?

The injury and knee brace was simply a forced plot device that's simply done away with after the first half or so of the movie. There is no logic behind it. Wayne suffered from more serious injuries in the past and already had the technology to deal with it.

Oh, and a psychological Batman film as opposed to what we got would have been brilliant, be it Hugo Strange or whatever. I'd much rather have seen that play out than "physical opponent, hope and despair".
Hear hear

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #958
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

He was only holed up in the mansion for 3 years. People always seem to forget. His leg could have slowly deteriorated during that time. I don't believe he was hobbling around on a cane when he was working on the fusion reactor project during the first 5 years of the story gap, personally. I see the cane as part of his hermit "persona", which was only 3 years.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #959
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
He was only holed up in the mansion for 3 years. People always seem to forget. His leg could have slowly deteriorated during that time. I don't believe he was hobbling around on a cane when he was working on the fusion reactor project during the first 5 years of the story gap, personally. I see the cane as part of his hermit "persona", which was only 3 years.
And um, for someone who has depression, just getting up and "doing that thing you're totally could do" is impossible.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #960
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
And um, for someone who has depression, just getting up and "doing that thing you're totally could do" is impossible.
Too true.

That's a depressed Bruce Wayne for ya. He broods and wallows.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #961
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the moment Fox started fiddling around and pushing buttons on the console, they'd have shot him in the head and used his lifeless hand to activate the reactor lol. I highly doubt it was as simple as pushing one button.
Then what's the point of having an emergency flood system, if you can't, you know, use it in an emergency?

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #962
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

Quote:

I love HISHE videos though, they're funny as hell.
Their Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade is probably the funniest one they have. Its so funny.

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #963
shauner111
Side-Kick

People on here don't seem to understand, when you're severely depressed..you don't want to fix yourself. There's almost a comfort at a point in what you're doing, or not doing I should say. You also lack the energy to do those things, even to eat (as we see on that skimpy tray of food at the start of the movie). Bruce, has turned into Harvey Dent when he was in that hospital bed after he learnt of Rachel's death. Dent didn't want to help himself, he refused it. When you're depressed or angry like that, you embrace it until somebody helps you or you come to the realization yourself that you need to move on.

This is why Bruce didn't get the brace until Selina and Bane came into his life and saw the possibility of Batman. And Blake was another character that opened his eyes when he learnt that orphans weren't getting what they were supposed to in schools.

He could have easily went to get surgery or knocked on Fox's door during those 8 years. But it's not something he wanted to do.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #964
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Then what's the point of having an emergency flood system, if you can't, you know, use it in an emergency?
Well, it shouldn't be so easy to do that someone could activate it accidentally by pressing one button. This is an investment worth billions we're talking about. After all, Lucius had to teach Miranda how to do it. We never actually get to see how it works though.

I think Bruce just wanted to always have the option available to get rid of the thing, for any number of reasons, including if him potentially deciding once and for all that it wasn't worth the risk. I don't know that he was envisioning a scenario where seconds would count and Pavel himself would be there to turn the thing into a bomb.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 05-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #965
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Bruce faking his death still annoys me more than the bomb or knee.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #966
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
People on here don't seem to understand, when you're severely depressed..you don't want to fix yourself.
But he wasn't severely depressed. Not for the first 5 years. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered his ass with an energy project to help people would he.

- The Joker
Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #967
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
But he wasn't severely depressed. Not for the first 5 years. Otherwise he wouldn't have bothered his ass with an energy project to help people would he.
Maybe he was doing other things to shore up his knee then. Physical therapy and the like. And then when he fell into deep depression, he stopped doing them. The brace was merely an immediate fix, and when he started working out again in the pit, it was enough physical therapy that he could function without the brace.

I feel like people are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #968
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Maybe he was doing other things to shore up his knee then. Physical therapy and the like. And then when he fell into deep depression, he stopped doing them.
For 5 years? But some physical working out in a prison pit and it's all better?

Yeah don't think so.

Quote:
I feel like people are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.
Bruce Wayne leaving his body in unnecessary injury for years is not a nit pick.

- The Joker
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #969
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
People on here don't seem to understand, when you're severely depressed..you don't want to fix yourself. There's almost a comfort at a point in what you're doing, or not doing I should say. You also lack the energy to do those things, even to eat (as we see on that skimpy tray of food at the start of the movie). Bruce, has turned into Harvey Dent when he was in that hospital bed after he learnt of Rachel's death. Dent didn't want to help himself, he refused it. When you're depressed or angry like that, you embrace it until somebody helps you or you come to the realization yourself that you need to move on.

This is why Bruce didn't get the brace until Selina and Bane came into his life and saw the possibility of Batman. And Blake was another character that opened his eyes when he learnt that orphans weren't getting what they were supposed to in schools.

He could have easily went to get surgery or knocked on Fox's door during those 8 years. But it's not something he wanted to do.
^ All of this.

As a side note will people ever realize that the knee brace was just something that helped with alignment and tightened everything up in the knee area? Some people took it so literally that it was a magic knee brace that fixed everything. No, it was just something that stabilized the joint and allowed him to move with less pain.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #970
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:

Yeah don't think so.

Jumping off buildings and gliding the way he does, would rip out a man's arms in real life. It's fantasy.

And for your second point, it's the story Nolan wanted to tell. What if Bruce Wayne lost all reason to be Batman? Hence, TDKR...

Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #971
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
Well, it shouldn't be so easy to do that someone could activate it accidentally by pressing one button. This is an investment worth billions we're talking about. After all, Lucius had to teach Miranda how to do it. We never actually get to see how it works though.
That's part of my problem with the emergency flood. It seems it is only there as a plot device to force Bruce to fly the bomb out over the bay. It doesn't seem like something that could be used in a real emergency.

The best thing would have been to set up an emergency system that Lucius or anyone could activate in the process of activating the fusion reactor, so that no one who was watching would notice anything was amiss.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #972
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:

Don't think the point was directed for me but I know exactly what it's like. If he was really depressed he wouldn't even want to be batman any more if needs be. I gathered a man frozen in time who felt as though he had nothing else to offer and was just waiting for some action or as Alfred said waiting for things to go bad again to regain that feeling of purpose. If we had time to actually see him brooding by himself and maybe even shedding a tear nothing more needed to be said. It never felt as though he was at rock bottom even in the pit. There was no desperation.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #973
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:

Yeah don't think so.

Agreed. Many of these "explanations" (like he was doing physical therapy for 5 years) collapse into themselves upon scrutiny. The film shouldn't have to rest on so many "maybes" as a crutch.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #974
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Jumping off buildings and gliding the way he does, would rip out a man's arms in real life. It's fantasy.
Lets not wave the fantasy excuse for shoddy writing. He's wearing an armored suit that supports his cape and body. It's more believable than curing an 8 year old knee injury with no cartilage in your knees just by doing some working out.

That's just an insult to the intelligence. As is the miracle back cure he got.

Quote:
And for your second point, it's the story Nolan wanted to tell. What if Bruce Wayne lost all reason to be Batman? Hence, TDKR...
Yeah, that's the problem people have with it. It's a sloppily written story.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-13-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #975
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Agreed. Many of these "explanations" (like he was doing physical therapy for 5 years) collapse into themselves upon scrutiny. The film shouldn't have to rest on so many "maybes" as a crutch.
Exactly. It's all shoddy conjecture. Nothing more.

- The Joker
Closed Thread