Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #176
milost
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Bruce sneaking in without anybody recognizing him would be like Bill Gates hoping on one of those trucks. Maybe, you'll say, he snuck INSIDE a truck (climbing in, hanging on the bottom, etc). Maybe. But that wasn't in the movie. So we can just speculate.
You actually just reminded me of something that I can't believe I never noticed before.

How the heck did people not recognize Bruce Wayne in Italy? Especially when he must be going at the same spot (which inhabit tons of tourists) almost every day!?! It's not like he disguised himself.

LOL

Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #177
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
You actually just reminded me of something that I can't believe I never noticed before.

How the heck did people not recognize Bruce Wayne in Italy? Especially when he must be going at the same spot (which inhabit tons of tourists) almost every day!?! It's not like he disguised himself.

LOL
Maybe none of the tourists were orphans.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #178
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
Maybe none of the tourists were orphans.

- The Joker
Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #179
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
There isn't a point for me to "argue" about it, but there's no argument between us, lol; we're just sharing viewpoints.
I didn't mean arguing in the hostile sense, just in the debating opinions sense

Quote:
And what exactly do you mean about reaching the country on ice?
Not the country, I mean, if he walked across the ice into the city, don't you think someone would have noticed? The media was keeping constant footage of outside the city, and someone walking through a giant sheet of white ice is preeetty noticeable. Unless you wanna tell me Bruce got a snowcamo outfit somewhere

Quote:
Plus...in BB, no one notices Bruce Wayne in a hoodie, so how would it be so easy for Bruce to be noticeable if he hopped unto a supply truck?
Fair point, but still not good enough for me. Those spec ops guys weren't doing anything to hide their faces. Chances are if one of them was wearing a hoodie or just trying not to let anyone get a good look at them, Bane's men would get suspicious and investigate him. I don't know this for sure (as the thugs in these movies have always been of the very dumb variety), but I base it on having watched many movies where a truck carrying unwanted people has to get past a barricade.

Quote:
It's not lazy writing by no means...just the kind of writing that doesn't explain everything and while that's what makes it odd for a Nolan film that has plenty of exposition dialogue, TDKR is, as a whole film, that carries more subtle moments than exposition. But, that's still not lazy writing, just different for a Nolan film.
Not explaining everything is totally fine. But some things you HAVE to explain, specifically when you set them up. You can't just set up a city where no one can get in or out and then have a character find a way in off screen. That's lazy writing and I don't get how you can't see this. Seeing Bruce use all of his training and knowledge to sneak in would have been amazing, but instead Nolan just pops him in there like he's freaking Nightcrawler.

Just because we know he CAN do it doesn't mean we don't need to see HOW he does it. Otherwise, what's the point of seeing anything? We all know Batman is going to win in the end, so why even have a final battle? Why not just have Alfred watching TV somewhere and he looks up and the news say "Batman flies bomb out of Gotham". It's set up plenty that Batman has the training necessary to fly the Bat, and we can assume that means he can get a bomb out of Gotham (just like we can assume his ninja training means he can sneak into the city), but does that mean we shouldn't see it happen?

Free Original Music
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #180
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Just because we know he CAN do it doesn't mean we don't need to see HOW he does it. Otherwise, what's the point of seeing anything? We all know Batman is going to win in the end, so why even have a final battle?
Yeah, agreed.

That's the same exact problem that I have with the beginning of the film with the Dent lie and 8 years later. How did that even work. Sure, it could, it did, evidently with those 8 years there's a history there. But how did it? You don't just gloss over such important things that YOU thought up and is the basis for the film in general. How did it work!?!

"It just did, focus on mopey Bruce, the clean project orb and this dude with the weird mask."

Oh, alright. Way to write yourself out of that one.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #181
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

More like way to not spend half your film tying up all the little peripheral loose ends from the last film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #182
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I didn't mean arguing in the hostile sense, just in the debating opinions sense
Ahh, okay...but you're saying we shouldn't debate then? It's fun sometimes, lol.

Quote:
Not the country, I mean, if he walked across the ice into the city, don't you think someone would have noticed? The media was keeping constant footage of outside the city, and someone walking through a giant sheet of white ice is preeetty noticeable. Unless you wanna tell me Bruce got a snowcamo outfit somewhere
I don't think Bruce did walk over the ice to get to where the "martial law" Gotham is at.

Quote:
Fair point, but still not good enough for me. Those spec ops guys weren't doing anything to hide their faces. Chances are if one of them was wearing a hoodie or just trying not to let anyone get a good look at them, Bane's men would get suspicious and investigate him. I don't know this for sure (as the thugs in these movies have always been of the very dumb variety), but I base it on having watched many movies where a truck carrying unwanted people has to get past a barricade.
You make a fair point as well, but I don't buy that. As you said, the thugs in these three films are of the "dumb variety" and Bruce could easily get past them. I believe this is what happens:

Bruce finds his way into the country, makes his way to Wayne Manor then finds a way unto that bridge that takes him into that area of Gotham City.

Quote:
Not explaining everything is totally fine. But some things you HAVE to explain, specifically when you set them up. You can't just set up a city where no one can get in or out and then have a character find a way in off screen. That's lazy writing and I don't get how you can't see this. Seeing Bruce use all of his training and knowledge to sneak in would have been amazing, but instead Nolan just pops him in there like he's freaking Nightcrawler.

Just because we know he CAN do it doesn't mean we don't need to see HOW he does it. Otherwise, what's the point of seeing anything? We all know Batman is going to win in the end, so why even have a final battle? Why not just have Alfred watching TV somewhere and he looks up and the news say "Batman flies bomb out of Gotham". It's set up plenty that Batman has the training necessary to fly the Bat, and we can assume that means he can get a bomb out of Gotham (just like we can assume his ninja training means he can sneak into the city), but does that mean we shouldn't see it happen?
I agree it would be nice to show it, I have never stated otherwise, but with what Nolan wanted to show to fit into time restraints, it's easy to use your imagination when A.) You know of Bruce's past training, and B.) We see how some people got into that part of Gotham earlier in the film.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #183
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
More like way to not spend half your film tying up all the little peripheral loose ends from the last film.
Or making sure everything's in place so it doesn't seem like a retcon to some.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #184
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Seriously guys. I don't think even people got this up in arms over Joker sneaking barrels of explosives into a damn hospital.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #185
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

You can look at literally every film known to man and find issues with it. It's like scratching a wound, it only gets worse so why even do it?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #186
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

Seriously guys. I don't think even people got this up in arms over Joker sneaking barrels of explosives into a damn hospital.
I'm guilty for bringing that up though whenever someone mentions the "plot holes" surrounding TDKR that doesn't even seem like actual plot holes, lol.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #187
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Yeah. Honestly, I had more issues with Blake's "deduction" of Wayne as Bats, and the fact that Talia...AS A SMALL CHILD, could make a jump that apparently grown men couldn't...because she was afraid. I'm sorry, but if I scare the crap out of my 9 year old little brother, the little guy isn't going to turn into a world-class long jumper. That's just not how that works.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #188
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Yeah. Honestly, I had more issues with Blake's "deduction" of Wayne as Bats, and the fact that Talia...AS A SMALL CHILD, could make a jump that apparently grown men couldn't...because she was afraid. I'm sorry, but if I scare the crap out of my 9 year old little brother, the little guy isn't going to turn into a world-class long jumper. That's just not how that works.

Actually, I think everyone is capable of making the jump, even if they're not athletes or physically fit. Peter Griffin could have made the jump.

You just have to be smart enough to not jump with a rope that will hold you back and bring you back down, which clearly, our hero wasn't even smart enough to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #189
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually, I think everyone is capable of making the jump, even if they're not athletes or physically fit. Peter Griffin could have made the jump.

You just have to be smart enough to not jump with a rope that will hold you back and bring you back down, which clearly, our hero wasn't even smart enough to do.
Haha, yeah I've heard that argument, but I don't think the rope was ever holding anyone back. It was pretty clear that the message was "use your fear to help you make the jump." Which is a cool sentiment and all, but it comes back down to the fact that if a 10 year old malnurished kid can make the jump, it's not going to be all that hard for a full grown man.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #190
milost
Banned User

I think it would have been more powerful (and appropriate) if the pit was inescapable and that the only way you could escape is if you were saved.

Even though I hate the LoS, Talia and Bane in this film, if you had to use them it might have been better to have Ra's find them and pull them out then later on, have . . . Alfred come back and help him out and actually DO something instead of crying and doubting Bruce Wayne.

Then it would REALLY be appropriate, especially with the Thomas Wayne/well scene in Batman Begins. Sure, you wouldn't have the uplifting "bats" moment where they come flying out of the wall, but I'm sure you could fit that moment somewhere else in the film.

The "rules" of the pit as it stands in the film are ridiculous in my opinion. The only positive about if is the feeling you get when Bruce escapes it. As soon as you think about it though (like most things in this movie) and find out that a little, starving girl made it out, it falls apart.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #191
JDonaldD
Side-Kick

In all honesty, it didn't bug me that it was never explained how Bruce got back into Gotham. It was only when everyone else brought it up did I start to wonder. For me, the "he's Batman" explanation works because we've seen him do stuff like this before. I think Luscious making a joke about Bruce being lucky Wayne Manor is outside of Gotham's city limits when they go to the Bat bunker would have been nice but it doesn't really bother me.

My only hang up with the movie is why would Bruce lie to Selina and Gordon about the autopilot. That is just kinda lazy writing. There are so many ways to achieve the ending they wanted that didn't involve Batman outright lying to the audience to achieve the reveal that he lived.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #192
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDonaldD View Post
My only hang up with the movie is why would Bruce lie to Selina and Gordon about the autopilot. That is just kinda lazy writing. There are so many ways to achieve the ending they wanted that didn't involve Batman outright lying to the audience to achieve the reveal that he lived.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #193
JackWhite
Third Man

Bruce had to climb out by himself. The whole point is he's at his absolute lowest, with nothing but his sheer will and determination to get him through. Having Alfred show up and save him would have undermined all of that.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #194
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Bruce had to climb out by himself. The whole point is he's at his absolute lowest, with nothing but his sheer will and determination to get him through. Having Alfred show up and save him would have undermined all of that.
I'm okay with him climbing out. But the fact that a 10 year old kid that grew up in a pit did it kind of underminds all the will and determination it took Bruce to do it.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #195
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:

LOL

I'm european and i honestly don't know any American playboy millionaire.

I dont know if its something patriotic about yourselves that think the world knows every US citizen but i gotta say , maybe with a little regret...we don't ! Not even the ones from my country.

Last edited by Tequilla; 03-13-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #196
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
I'm european and i honestly don't know any American playboy millionaire.

I dont know if its something patriotic about yourselves that think the world knows every US citizen but i gotta say , maybe with a little regret...we don't ! Not even the ones from my country.
So you wouldn't recognize Justin Timberlake, Michael Jordan, or Kobe Bryant?

In seriousness though, I agree with you. Even if Bruce Wayne was supposed to be as famous as someone like Michael Jordan (which I don't think he was), if it was accepted that Michael Jordan was dead, and I was walking through a random street in Paris and though I saw someone who looked just like him, I'm probably just think "wow, that guy looks just like Michael Jordan" and keep walking.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #197
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I'm okay with him climbing out. But the fact that a 10 year old kid that grew up in a pit did it kind of underminds all the will and determination it took Bruce to do it.
It only works thematically with the idea that the "fear has to find you". If there wasn't a theme to back it up, I would have groaned at the sight of a child making the jump and not an adult.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #198
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you wouldn't recognize Justin Timberlake, Michael Jordan, or Kobe Bryant?

In seriousness though, I agree with you. Even if Bruce Wayne was supposed to be as famous as someone like Michael Jordan (which I don't think he was), if it was accepted that Michael Jordan was dead, and I was walking through a random street in Paris and though I saw someone who looked just like him, I'm probably just think "wow, that guy looks just like Michael Jordan" and keep walking.
MJ was my idol when i was young so.....

Those guys i would know. But they are famous people and work within industries i follow (justin because of films , nba has always been huge in europe and im kinda crazy about sports... ) . They are not playboy millionaires (well they probably were that too lol ) . But if instead of kobe , you would put right in front of me the most famous baseball , hockey or american football player , i wouldn't know them. Much less rich people.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #199
milost
Banned User

Alright, we've seen Bruce Wayne compared to Paris Hilton, Donald Trump and Bill Gates. He's practically a celebrity, the prince of Gotham. We've all been in those discussions where people claim that "playboy" Bruce is like Paris Hilton. Instead of daddies hotels though, it's daddies company. He has deals and is known as far out as Hong Kong.

So you're telling me, if the three I mentioned, were on an extensive vacation in Florence, Italy (that has tons of tourists from all over the world mind you), they'd never be known? Okay, let's just rule out the Italy's citizens for you Tequilla, that's fair enough, how about all those tourists from America that are in Italy? Are you kidding? None of them would recognize Bruce?

Now Bruce isn't just there for a day or so. If he was, that'd be fine. But for this to work, he'd have to be there constantly to ever fulfill Alfred's dream and get a chance to meet up with him (which is why it's joked about so often). Just like Alfred had supposedly done. You're telling me that people would never notice him? I mean, it's not like they'd be like, "oh, that's Bruce Wayne vacationing", no, hahahaha, Bruce Wayne is DEAD!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #200
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Nolan's movies never state anything remotely like that regarding his character and how well known he's in the worl. He's a known millionaire in a us city. The prince of Gotham. Outside of Ra's , we never see anyone recognizing him in Begins outside US.

And i had no idea who the hell was Paris Hilton until i saw that bad sex tape.

There is certainly very rich and young people in chicago , new york , florida , beijing , paris , whatever...i have no idea who they are.

Closed Thread