The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Spooderman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 457
Default Which characters are shared?

As there have been many crossovers between various characters in the Marvel comics, many of characters are associated with multiple franchises. I want to know what they are. Here's what I know so far:

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver: X-Men and Avengers (Fox and Disney)

Kingpin: Spider-Man and Daredevil (Sony and Disney)

Madame Hydra: Wolverine and Captain America (Fox and Disney)

Ronan the Accuser: Fantastic Four and Captain Marvel (Fox and Disney)

I'm not sure about Klaw (F4 and Black Panther) Kang (Listed as Avengers and F4 villain), Whirlwind (mutant Anti-Man villain) or Doctor Doom (Who is also listed as a Spider-Man and Iron Man villain), although I'd imagine Fox taking Doom to court if anyone else tries to use him.

Any other characters that are grey enough to be shared?

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,909
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I really need RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, and Ruffalo to sign on for more Avengers films. You reminded me that we need a Kang/Avengers film.

Avengers: Loki/Chitauri
Avengers 2: Ultron/Baron von Strucker
Avengers 3: Thanos
Avengers 4: Masters of Evil
Avengers 5: Kang

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,819
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I really need RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, and Ruffalo to sign on for more Avengers films. You reminded me that we need a Kang/Avengers film.

Avengers: Loki/Chitauri
Avengers 2: Ultron/Baron von Strucker
Avengers 3: Thanos
Avengers 4: Masters of Evil
Avengers 5: Kang
Agreed!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 450
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I guess you could say Beast as he is a member of the X-men as well as the Avengers.
Same goes with Sandman, mainly a Spider-man villain, he once had a good guy stint and was a member of the Avengers.

Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 345
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I don't think that's how it works, but I'll admit I don't know exactly how it works either but I think its like this:

-When Marvel Studios sold the X-men/Mutant rights to Fox it was mentioned specifically that Wanda and Pietro are not exclusively X-Men characters and that the deal only concerned them and how they relate to the X-men world and only that was exclusive to the Fox deal (hence why Disney can't use their Mutant-ness at all)

-In this way I seriously doubt Disney can use Beast or Doctor Doom as those characters were most likely sold exclusively within the X-Men and FF rights respectively

I'd be surprised if it didn't work like that but I'm not any kind of expert at all so, wtf do I know lol


Last edited by Chance Jackson; 05-08-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,351
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I figured the Skrulls fall under the Fantastic Four/Avengers Umbrella no?

__________________
Bonafide Fan of Almost Everything
Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 450
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
I don't think that's how it works, but I'll admit I don't know exactly how it works either but I think its like this:

-When Marvel Studios sold the X-men/Mutant rights to Fox it was mentioned specifically that Wanda and Pietro are not exclusively X-Men characters and that the deal only concerned them and how they relate to the X-men world and only that was exclusive to the Fox deal (hence why Disney can't use their Mutant-ness at all)

-In this way I seriously doubt Disney can use Beast or Doctor Doom as those characters were most likely sold exclusively within the X-Men and FF rights respectively

I'd be surprised if it didn't work like that but I'm not any kind of expert at all so, wtf do I know lol
Completely agree with you, I'm no expert either but I'm confident we'll never see beast, sandman or Doom in the MCU, they are for sure X-Men, Spiderman and FF properties. It's just a nice thought.
Although I did read somewhere that apparently Kevin Feige said there are a handful of characters Marvel and the other studios can use on film other than Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I'm wondering who else but these two tie in so closely to different properties, the only other I can think is Kingpin since he's a major Spiderman and Daredevil foe.

Any thoughts?

Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

FINALLY! This is the thread that I've been waiting for!

Question, since Man-Thing rights belongs to Lionsgate, how did Marvel Studios pulled-off to include his wife (Ellen Brandt played by Stephanie Szostak) in IRON MAN 3?

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Zarex
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,520
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post
FINALLY! This is the thread that I've been waiting for!

Question, since Man-Thing rights belongs to Lionsgate, how did Marvel Studios pulled-off to include his wife (Ellen Brandt played by Stephanie Szostak) in IRON MAN 3?
Man-Thing was also referenced in a recent episode of Agents of Shield. I think we can safely assume that the rights to the Swamp Monster have reverted.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,820
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
Completely agree with you, I'm no expert either but I'm confident we'll never see beast, sandman or Doom in the MCU, they are for sure X-Men, Spiderman and FF properties. It's just a nice thought.
Although I did read somewhere that apparently Kevin Feige said there are a handful of characters Marvel and the other studios can use on film other than Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I'm wondering who else but these two tie in so closely to different properties, the only other I can think is Kingpin since he's a major Spiderman and Daredevil foe.

Any thoughts?
Kingpin is a definite possibility. I've also suspected Fox, through their Silver Surfer and Fantastic 4 properties, might have some hold on Adam Warlock. When GoTG was announced, people were shocked that Warlock (probably the most famous member of the team) wasn't a part of the film lineup. Could've been split rights, could've been that he detracts from Star-lord.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 450
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Kingpin is a definite possibility. I've also suspected Fox, through their Silver Surfer and Fantastic 4 properties, might have some hold on Adam Warlock. When GoTG was announced, people were shocked that Warlock (probably the most famous member of the team) wasn't a part of the film lineup. Could've been split rights, could've been that he detracts from Star-lord.
I was shocked to learn Adam Warlock wasn't going to be in GOTG, but it wouldn't rule him out of the MCU yet, watch the Thor 2 credits scene with The Collector, is that Warlocks cocoon we see?

Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I think the key difference between Beast and Wanda/Pietro, is that the twins spent virtually their entire careers as Avengers or ancillaries to the Avengers. They appeared in a scant handful of X-comics before leaving them behind for decades. When they appeared outside of the Avengers comics, even then it was usually in stuff still unrelated to the X-Men: the Inhumans, supernatural comics, stuff like that.

While Beast may be an awesome Avenger, and have a sizable history as an Avenger, its just not the same. He's spent far more time as a part of the X-comics, including the entire original run. There really is no ambiguity.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 450
Doh Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
Completely agree with you, I'm no expert either but I'm confident we'll never see beast, sandman or Doom in the MCU, they are for sure X-Men, Spiderman and FF properties. It's just a nice thought.
Although I did read somewhere that apparently Kevin Feige said there are a handful of characters Marvel and the other studios can use on film other than Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I'm wondering who else but these two tie in so closely to different properties, the only other I can think is Kingpin since he's a major Spiderman and Daredevil foe.

Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I think the key difference between Beast and Wanda/Pietro, is that the twins spent virtually their entire careers as Avengers or ancillaries to the Avengers. They appeared in a scant handful of X-comics before leaving them behind for decades. When they appeared outside of the Avengers comics, even then it was usually in stuff still unrelated to the X-Men: the Inhumans, supernatural comics, stuff like that.

While Beast may be an awesome Avenger, and have a sizable history as an Avenger, its just not the same. He's spent far more time as a part of the X-comics, including the entire original run. There really is no ambiguity.
Yes, I know, hence my post you actually quoted........

Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip
 
Spider-Fan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,777
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
I guess you could say Beast as he is a member of the X-men as well as the Avengers.
Same goes with Sandman, mainly a Spider-man villain, he once had a good guy stint and was a member of the Avengers.
wasn't Sandman also one of the original members of the Frightful Four, so, I wonder if F4 has any type of claim to him

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #15
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Man-Thing was also referenced in a recent episode of Agents of Shield. I think we can safely assume that the rights to the Swamp Monster have reverted.

Ok, so I guess we'll just have to wait for the official announcement that the rights have reverted back?



How about Namor? it bugs me out that they still don't have the rights while it's been YEARS stucked up in Universal without any progress whatsoever.


What about the fact that beast is a part of The Avengers and Secret Avengers, 2 stints is a solid case to have a share to the rights of that character but the contracts are really messed up.

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,820
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post
Ok, so I guess we'll just have to wait for the official announcement that the rights have reverted back?



How about Namor? it bugs me out that they still don't have the rights while it's been YEARS stucked up in Universal without any progress whatsoever.


What about the fact that beast is a part of The Avengers and Secret Avengers, 2 stints is a solid case to have a share to the rights of that character but the contracts are really messed up.
My impression is Marvel comes to the table with a list of exceptions and says "the deal comes with all first apppearance characters under this title except for x,y and z."

A great recent example of this backfiring on Marvel is the Badoon. The Badoon first appeared in Silver Surfer #3, a comic that would fall under Fox's deal, but the race has almost exclusively fought the Guardians of the Galaxy.

10 years ago when the Fox/ F4 deal went down, Marvel clearly made exceptions for The Inhumans, The Kree, Black Panther, and Adam Warlock (all of whom initially appeared in the pages of F4. Unfortunately, they didn't have the foresight to know they would make a Guardians of the Galaxy film in 2014, and thus let Fox take the Badoon. Thus why the Guardians will fight Sakaarans.

I imagine Fox also has cosmic being The Stranger, who first appeared in the pages of X-Men, off of the same oversight. There are some characters you don't realize could be useful when signing those kind of deals.

So I think a character like Beast, who is 90% X-Man, 10% Avenger, with no blood ties to MCU characters, would fall 100% under the Fox umbrella. I also don't think teams created after the contract signings have any sway on the films. (example: Disney can't claim rights to Havok or Rogue because they are now Avengers.)

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel

Last edited by KangConquers; 05-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #17
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
My impression is Marvel comes to the table with a list of exceptions and says "the deal comes with all first apppearance characters under this title except for x,y and z."

A great recent example of this backfiring on Marvel is the Badoon. The Badoon first appeared in Silver Surfer #3, a comic that would fall under Fox's deal, but the race has almost exclusively fought the Guardians of the Galaxy.

10 years ago when the Fox/ F4 deal went down, Marvel clearly made exceptions for The Inhumans, The Kree, Black Panther, and Adam Warlock (all of whom initially appeared in the pages of F4. Unfortunately, they didn't have the foresight to know they would make a Guardians of the Galaxy film in 2014, and thus let Fox take the Badoon. Thus why the Guardians will fight Sakaarans.

I imagine Fox also has cosmic being The Stranger, who first appeared in the pages of X-Men, off of the same oversight. There are some characters you don't realize could be useful when signing those kind of deals.

So I think a character like Beast, who is 90% X-Man, 10% Avenger, with no blood ties to MCU characters, would fall 100% under the Fox umbrella. I also don't think teams created after the contract signings have any sway on the films. (example: Disney can't claim rights to Havok or Rogue because they are now Avengers.)

Thanks for the info! what also bugs me out is that MS let all the iterations / versions of a certain character fall all under one contract.


With many versions of a certain character, hope there's a small shade of light that they can use (i.e. ULTIMATES Version) but doibt that would ahppen cause sony is doing / borrowing some ultimates elements now.

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Dasher10
Side-Kick
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,200
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

I wouldn't be surprised if Viper is also part of the Captain America rights. The Skrulls are shared which I know as a fact. What I really hope for is for Juggernaut to be shared as he's also a Hulk villain.

I also don't know if Kang is shared since he ruled Egypt while Apocalypse ruled Nubia and the two of them remained rival Pharos warring for control of the Nile. He also first appeared as a Fantastic Four villain and is a descendant of Reed Richards so he may be shared.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Viper is also part of the Captain America rights. The Skrulls are shared which I know as a fact. What I really hope for is for Juggernaut to be shared as he's also a Hulk villain.

I also don't know if Kang is shared since he ruled Egypt while Apocalypse ruled Nubia and the two of them remained rival Pharos warring for control of the Nile. He also first appeared as a Fantastic Four villain and is a descendant of Reed Richards so he may be shared.

Viper is also shared BUT marvel may only refer her to Madame Hydara and not Viper with fox vice versa.

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Eddie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 919
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post
Viper is also shared BUT marvel may only refer her to Madame Hydara and not Viper with fox vice versa.
I don't think that's ever been officially stated. Lot's of rumors claimed that one version of Quicksilver would be "Quicksilver" and one would be "Pietro", but both studios have promoted him as Quicksilver, so I think those name rumors are likely made up.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,820
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Viper is also part of the Captain America rights. The Skrulls are shared which I know as a fact. What I really hope for is for Juggernaut to be shared as he's also a Hulk villain.

I also don't know if Kang is shared since he ruled Egypt while Apocalypse ruled Nubia and the two of them remained rival Pharos warring for control of the Nile. He also first appeared as a Fantastic Four villain and is a descendant of Reed Richards so he may be shared.
I figure Fox has the rights to Rama Tut, all Egyptian motifs (The Sphynx Time Machine, fore example) and the name Nathaniel Richards. Marvel has the rights to his Kang the Conqueror, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, and Iron Lad personas, and both are allowed to use time travel and the 31st century as a native time period.

__________________
MCU Rest of Decade prediction:

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
ss3walkman
Wolverine as a Horsemen!
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Utopia
Posts: 75
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

What about Rogue and Ms. Marvel? The whole power swapping bit? Would the characters fall under MCU and FOX?

ss3walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Which characters are shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3walkman View Post
What about Rogue and Ms. Marvel? The whole power swapping bit? Would the characters fall under MCU and FOX?
I seriously doubt it. Rogue is very clearly a mutant and member of the X-Men. The fact that she had a major plot event involving Carol Danvers is irrelevant.

Similarly, Carol Danvers is very clearly an Avenger, and what ties she doesn't have with the Avengers are with the cosmic brigade. Just because *one* of her power changes involved X-Men members is irrelevant.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
Gabe99
Side-Kick
 
Gabe99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Greeley, Co
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: The Human Torch

10 Amazing Easter Eggs You Never Noticed In Marvel’s Cinematic Universe
8. The Human Torch (Captain America: The First Avenger)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. Barnard
This could get confusing. Because when somebody mentions “the Human Torch,” you’re probably thinking about the character from the Fantastic Four – you know, the guy who shouts “flame on!” all the time. Who happened to be played by Chris Evans when they made that into a movie. And Chris Evans plays Captain America in the movie we’re discussing now. But we’re not talking about that Human Torch here, we’re talking about the original 1939 character, who can be glimpsed briefly in The First Avenger at a science convention (now breathe).

The original Human Torch, from the Golden Age of comic books, was an android character who started out as something of a villain, and later became a superhero. The character eventually fell into obscurity while Captain America prospered, and is something of a forgotten relic today. But you can catch sight of this character during a a quick panning shot at the World’s Fair sequence, billed under a marquee that says “Dr. Phineas Horton Presents The Synthetic Man!” Dr. Phineas Horton was the guy who created The Human Torch in the comic.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.