The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #101
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 4

Anyway, I'm off to do interview prep. Hopefully we hear either way about the validity of this latest rumor. If I don't see anything in the trades by end of business I think it's safe to say it's bogus.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #102
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I just don't see the incentives of smaller budgeted Marvel movies, unless the well dries up (and it will in a few years). It'll probably get to the point where Marvel can't do big tentpoles every year and the smaller films can take their place in-between. Almost as filler and to keep Marvel in the public's eye....
Why do you believe this?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #103
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Who's to say it would be specifically targeted at an African American audience? I mean fanboys would go see BP just like every other film. And I doubt the audience would really decide not to see a Marvel film because the superhero is African. I mean Blade and Men in Black both did reasonably well and they both had African Americans as their leads or did everyone forget about them
I do think the difference between and this is TABOO, is that a BP movie would take place in Africa. Unless they create a 'compromise' and have the film take place in Africa for the first half, and then America in the final battle. Then would be LAME!

To counter that, look at District 9, it's an ambitious film that takes place in South Africa. So obviously it CAN work And it made money despite being Rated R, but then again, it also only costed 30 million to make.

Last edited by Octoberist; 03-04-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #104
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Why do you believe this?
I meant in using more of the Marvel properties. They're using their big guns right now, and yeah you got sequels...but if they want to create new franchises, they have to go with the lesser known characters (bigger risks) like Doctor Strange or whatever. (Which I can see happening with Phase 3.)

Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #105
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Black Panther is another Marvel property I don't really care about. I Want Doctor Strange and Thomas Jane as Punisher again and I'll be happy.
Yuck. (Funny enough, I like Thomas Jane as a person. He was on the Nerdist podcast and he was quite initiative with the BS in the Hollywood biz. That being said, didn't like his Punisher and his 'short' was awkwardly made.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #106
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Octoberist Ohh I see now. And I do believe Phase 3 is when they're start rapidly expanding the universe i.e. Ant-Man, Strange, hopefully Inhumans and Heroes for Hire and BP
And I wouldn't be upset if the BP film moved from Africa to America in the latter halve of the film.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #107
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I didn't like the movie that much but I did like him as the Punisher.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #108
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Oh Latino Review, what have you done? You've given the DC/Nolan fanboys nothing but false hope.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #109
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Octoberist Ohh I see now. And I do believe Phase 3 is when they're start rapidly expanding the universe i.e. Ant-Man, Strange, hopefully Inhumans and Heroes for Hire and BP
And I wouldn't be upset if the BP film moved from Africa to America in the latter halve of the film.
I'm a man of two minds on this, because I think a BP movie that takes place exclusively in Africa would be amazing. But if that prevents a BP movie from being made, and being exposed to a broad audience and new fans, then I think the 'American scenes' compromise should be considered on Marvel's part. It comes down to the writing and directing in the long run.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #110
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Anyway, I'm off to do interview prep. Hopefully we hear either way about the validity of this latest rumor. If I don't see anything in the trades by end of business I think it's safe to say it's bogus.
Forbes has picked up the story:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...team-up-movie/

No idea if that's worth anything, just thought it should be mentioned.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #111
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Oh Latino Review, what have you done? You've given the DC/Nolan fanboys nothing but false hope.
Good thing I'm neither.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #112
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
There can be no true despair without hope.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #113
Octoberist
point blank

It looks like El May could be right. We'll see. Failures (like with the Wonder Woman mishap) can only make some people stronger and more determined than ever!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #114
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Forbes has picked up the story:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...team-up-movie/

No idea if that's worth anything, just thought it should be mentioned.

That's the Forbes Entertainment Blog. This guy writes for it: https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms

I used to think differently but I was educated quickly that it doesn't mean any more than when another movie site writes it up. None of that stuff goes to print.

The trades: Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter are what matter

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #115
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
It looks like El May could be right. We'll see. Failures (like with the Wonder Woman mishap) can only make some people stronger and more determined than ever!
Why do you think that?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #116
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Whether in terms of the JL movie or with ElMayimbe vs. the fanboys.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #117
Octoberist
point blank

I don't know. I could be wrong too. Maybe i'm just disillusioned and crazy!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #118
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Edit...

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #119
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
The WW thing was bad but I think the Hulk, Harrison Ford and Momoa stuff was worse credibility wise. All scoops from the past month. All debunked. Must not feel very good to be on the receiving end of that. Honestly feel for the guy

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #120
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know. I could be wrong too. Maybe i'm just disillusioned and crazy!
Maybe?

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #121
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Black Panther is a racist caricature just like most ethnic comics characters. And unless they were going to give him a Mandarin styled overhaul, he wouldn't work.

Not only that, to be blunt (because really, we're all adults here) who actually sees a PG-13 superhero film targeted to an African American audience working? The Black Panther animated series didn't even get a decent reception. Best case scenario is use BP like Hulk as a supporting character.
Quote:
Fanboys are not even 10% of the total box office potential of these movies.

Blade was rated R and had Wesley Snipes (big name)

Men in Black was a comedy with Will Smith (big name)

Black Panther is a PG-13 superhero movie with no big names interested

Regardless if it's politically correct to say it or not it's pretty obvious that a movie that takes place in Africa featuring 90% African/African American characters and what will no doubt be a white villain would be targeted to an African American audience more than any other Marvel movie to date. That in and of itself is a HUGE red flag.

Marvel already tried to gauge the popularity of a Black Panther property but putting an animated series on BET and it failed. The risk was too much compared to the reward. Do I like it? Not at all. But it has nothing to do with what I like
Personally, as an African-American, I never found Black Panther to be a racist caricature. Not nearly as much as, say, Luke Cage. (I'm old...41...child of the 70s and 80s...so I did not grow up with the contemporary version of Luke Cage...I grew up with the blaxploitation 70s version). Granted, I cannot view T'Challa or any other character through someone else's eyes. I look at him and see well-spoken, highly intelligent, courageous African royalty. Someone else sees racist caricature...to each his own.

Whether he gets his own film, or becomes a secondary character like Black Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon, I hope to see Black Panther turn up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at some point. They have already alluded to him indirectly (Cap's shield being made of vibranium; a S.H.I.E.L.D. map pointing out Wakanda in IM2)...might as well bring him in!

Back to the Justice League news/rumor, whether it's true or not, I've enjoyed seeing the internet explode with discussion. The only other news items that I recall having generated this type of buzz recently were all of the Star Wars info (from the Disney purchase to Abrams being named director) and the "JGL-as-Batman-in-the-reboot/sequel" rumor.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #122
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
The WW thing was bad but I think the Hulk, Harrison Ford and Momoa stuff was worse credibility wise. All scoops from the past month. All debunked. Must not feel very good to be on the receiving end of that. Honestly feel for the guy
With Guardians, I wouldn't be surprised if some actor we never ever considered won the role of Drax. Just like how Chris Pratt was never mentioned for Star-Lord - despite all the casting rumors weeks prior - and eventually nabbed the role.

With Harrison Ford, yeah, it was really really strange that Variety and Hollywood Reporter didn't mention it all, despite their civil relationship with El May (on twitter at least.) Either El may was stating the obvious, since Entertainment Weekly already mentioned Ford's possible return months ago, or that the contract was still in the workings. El May was adamant that it was a done deal with Ford..though, which probably hurt his scoop since Geoff Boucher said it was far from being done, and Variety/Hollywood Reporter knew that.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #123
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
With Guardians, I wouldn't be surprised if some actor we never ever considered won the role of Drax. Just like how Chris Pratt was never mentioned for Star-Lord - despite all the casting rumors weeks prior - and eventually nabbed the role.

With Harrison Ford, yeah, it was really really strange that Variety and Hollywood Reporter didn't mention it all, despite their civil relationship with El May (on twitter at least.) Either El may was stating the obvious, since Entertainment Weekly already mentioned Ford's possible return months ago, or that the contract was still in the workings. El May was adamant that it was a done deal with Ford..though, which probably hurt his scoop since Geoff Boucher said it was far from being done, and Variety/Hollywood Reporter knew that.
And Mark Hamill himself said none of them had deals yet.

I'm telling you, the trades are the indicator. No matter where the rumors start if the trades pick em up they are legit (Abrams/SW from The Wrap, Han & Fett spin off from EW) if they don't (Yoda spin off from AICN, Planet Hulk from LR) they aren't.

The Momoa thing, well we'll leave that in the GOTG thread.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #124
J.Howlett

I'm with Poni on this one.

This makes sense for all parties involved, except for the two big fish; Nolan and Bale.

Did we easily forget that Nolan had the George Miller Justice League movie pretty much shut down, as to not let it interfere with the work he and Bale were doing during production of the Dark Knight?

I understand WB's position of trying to keep Nolan on the WB lot for as long as possible but you don't do that by messing up his trilogy. It was always a finite story.

WB could very easily follow Nolan's template with the Man of Steel franchise and make close to 3 billion off of that soon to be trilogy. And in 3D no less. It just doesn't make financial sense to risk their two biggest properties for a massive payday in the middle of one summer.

Ride the Man of Steel this summer and if it hits major bank and has great critical success, make it a trilogy and ride that for the next six years, along with the numerous other films they have...like Nolan's Interstellar.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #125
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah, the key thing is Interstellar. I would rather see him work on that, then anything else right now. I can only see the DC as a distraction, if it's legit.