The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

I thought you didn't want to get into it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

Anyone curious as to how they will handle the black widow fighting thanos? With cap and hawkeye i can buy it a little more since cap has the shield and hawkeye is long range. Maybe widow attacks him from the sky with the quinjet?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Anyone curious as to how they will handle the black widow fighting thanos? With cap and hawkeye i can buy it a little more since cap has the shield and hawkeye is long range. Maybe widow attacks him from the sky with the quinjet?
She'll knock him out with two karate chops and a quick roundhouse kick.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
I imagine she'll be on a mission (perhaps along with Cap, Falcon and Hawkeye) to locate the one item in the galaxy that can defeat Thanos while her super-powered teammates punch the Mad Titan in the face.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
She'll knock him out with two karate chops and a quick roundhouse kick.
It's common knowledge that her hair whip can knock out most any living thing.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I thought you didn't want to get into it.
Not wanting to and not being willing to are two different things.

Quote:
I think there will be some other conflict going on besides Thanos directly confronting them that will occupy them.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #32
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Splash Page pointed out something I hadn't thought of yet, and it goes farther toward the Guardians not being in A2.

They bring up the run of GotG where Star-Lord, Adam Warlock, and Drax die at the end of the story. If the movie follows that run--which it might since it's being billed as a standalone--the question of their involvement in A2 will be answered before it even comes out.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
Mr. Dent
Banned User

"Run" isn't the right word for that...what they're talking about is The Thanos Imperative which wouldn't be practical to base this movie off of quite honestly.

The team is just coming together in this film, they have to explore Drax, Gamora, Star-Lord's, and maybe even Thanos' backgrounds, it's not a good way to introduce the Universal Church of Truth because in that story they literally revive Thanos, who is already alive in these films, and a good portion of that story is based around Galactus and the Silver Surfer...etc, etc. Whoever wrote that either doesn't know all the details behind that "run of GotG" (lol) or they're not actually thinking of the specifics. They also didn't mention that Thanos dies in that story as well.

I keep saying, the best route they can go is adapting the old Jim Starlin stories for most of the film while mixing in with the 2008 stuff of the Guardians coming together...that's honestly the only way they can do it while being somewhat faithful to the source and making the film an amalgamation like Marvel usually does.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 03-04-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Splash Page pointed out something I hadn't thought of yet, and it goes farther toward the Guardians not being in A2.

They bring up the run of GotG where Star-Lord, Adam Warlock, and Drax die at the end of the story. If the movie follows that run--which it might since it's being billed as a standalone--the question of their involvement in A2 will be answered before it even comes out.
It really depends on their actual intent for GOTG. If it was supposed to be a one-off to just intro Thanos into the mythology, then yeah, they might go all gloom-n-doom and kill off the whole GOTG team in the first movie.

However, this being Marvel and this being Disney, I'm willing to bet they have every intent to see if this thing franchises. It'd be genuinely stupid to kill off your goose right as it lays that golden egg for you.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah they might kill off a character, for instance I've always assumed that the film will end with Groot sacrificing himself like in Conquest, but they'll definitely leave the door open for sequels, i.e. they ain't gonna kill off the lead. lol

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It really depends on their actual intent for GOTG. If it was supposed to be a one-off to just intro Thanos into the mythology, then yeah, they might go all gloom-n-doom and kill off the whole GOTG team in the first movie.

However, this being Marvel and this being Disney, I'm willing to bet they have every intent to see if this thing franchises. It'd be genuinely stupid to kill off your goose right as it lays that golden egg for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yeah they might kill off a character, for instance I've always assumed that the film will end with Groot sacrificing himself like in Conquest, but they'll definitely leave the door open for sequels, i.e. they ain't gonna kill off the lead. lol
I see what you're saying, but I think it's possible that they'll do what Splash suggested. Not every movie has to lead to a franchise, especially when you have the likes of Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther on the horizon, not to mention the rest of the Avengers.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
Chewy
REDACTED

GotG lends itself to a franchise much more nicely than something like Ant-Man or Panther, there are dozens of space-based characters and stories to pull from

Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #38
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

Yeah I think GotG could work very well as a franchise, they just need to hit number one out of the park.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
GotG lends itself to a franchise much more nicely than something like Ant-Man or Panther, there are dozens of space-based characters and stories to pull from
Yeah, I think GOTG will be more likely to get sequels whereas BP and Ant-Man may have solo films but then be mostly confined to Avengers films.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
Chewy
REDACTED

Yep, you can structure whole movies around the Guardians dealing with Thanos, the Guardians dealing with Warlock/Magus, the Guardians trying to stop a war between the Shi'ar/Kree, the Guardians versus the Annihilation wave, etc. There's a lot more to pull from here than there is in any of these other proposed franchises

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #41
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I think a GOTG franchise would be fantastic and a dream come true. More space adventures in a world thats about to have the return of Star Wars in full force. Not to mention Star Trek, the more space adventure based franchises the better.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I doubt we'll ever see a true Annihilation wave or War of Kings adaptations...considering Marvel definitely doesn't have the rights to the Shi'Ar and it's up in the air as to whether they have the Kree/Skrulls...even more so the Skrulls.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #43
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

there was a thread about who would be the first to die. just talking about marvel studios movies i i thought it would be starlord in one of the avengers movies.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I doubt we'll ever see a true Annihilation wave or War of Kings adaptations...considering Marvel definitely doesn't have the rights to the Shi'Ar and it's up in the air as to whether they have the Kree/Skrulls...even more so the Skrulls.
I don't think they would get much of a fight if they decided to introduce Kree/Skrulls. Annihilation is totally doable. I think they major issue would be Annihilus who has for the most part always been seen as a FF villain primarily.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #45
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post

When has this movie ever been billed as a standalone? I think that's just been speculation.

I'm assuming the goal with GoTG is to make it a franchise until Kevin Feige says otherwise.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Exactly. Basically any Marvel cosmic story from the past 50 years is game, with the Guardians taking the place of Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer, Quasar, etc.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #47
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
When has this movie ever been billed as a standalone? I think that's just been speculation.

I'm assuming the goal with GoTG is to make it a franchise until Kevin Feige says otherwise.
Feige was the one who called it a standalone. Interview came out today, I believe.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #48
Chewy
REDACTED

He called it "more of a standalone" in response to its connection to the Avengers. That's different from saying they want to kill off all the leads and have no aspirations toward sequel(s)

Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #49
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Well I doubt he would come out and say that even if it was true.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #50
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I'd like GotG to stay more of its own thing. Certain elements can cross over into the Avengers movies—the Infinity Gauntlet and comes to mind. But I don't want the characters to interweave.

The comics did a good job of staying separate while having those certain elements cross over between the two.