The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

View Poll Results: What do you want fixed for the Batman reboot? (multiple votes allowed)
More impressive fight scenes 110 59.14%
"World's greatest detective" better displayed 133 71.51%
More imaginative villains/concepts explored 81 43.55%
More iconic imagery (Gotham/Batmobile/etc) 72 38.71%
Sidekicks included (Robin, Nightwing, Oracle) 65 34.95%
Full extent of Batman's various training better implied (flashbacks?) 32 17.20%
No growling Bat-voice 66 35.48%
Bruce is the mask, Batman is the true face 49 26.34%
Fix the suit (NO RUBBER) 46 24.73%
Fix the suit (BUT USING RUBBER AGAIN) 13 6.99%
No love interest 25 13.44%
No Lucius Fox (Batman does all the brainy work) 30 16.13%
Batman is a more shadowy and mysterious figure 63 33.87%
More BTAS influence 59 31.72%
More Arkham Asylum influence 69 37.10%
More comic book influence (70's-current) 28 15.05%
More memorable theme music 29 15.59%
Moar prep-time!!! (Batman is always a few steps ahead) 37 19.89%
All of the above 9 4.84%
other (please specify below) 14 7.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #301
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Your top 5 things that needs to be "fixed" for the Batman reboot

My New Top 5:

1. Stop with the Gotham destruction plots. With a Rogues' gallery as large and psychotic as Batman's, the film does not have to have citywide destruction promised to have the audience care about the stakes. They could the stakes personal, as in the case of 'Daredevil' (which looked and felt more of a Batman film than anything since Burton left,) or in terms of legacy (Morrison's RIP,) or ethics/morals (Arkham City.) The only exception I would make to this rule is if they have Poison Ivy as the villain and went for Transformers' level of destruction, as her plants demolished the city. Other than that - which will never happen - stop with the damn destruction plots already.

2. Stop the secularization. In comparison to other characters, Batman is considerably secularized: there is no need to inject more cinematic realism into the character. While I loved Nolan's films dearly (and have defended them innumerable times,) I do not want the aesthetic to return. Hell, at this point, I'd welcome the Rainbow Monster and Crazy Quilt as villains if it meant not returning to the aesthetic. The Arkham games stand as a good vein of ore for them to mine. Or, they could jettison it completely and go for something as unique as 'Gothic' (the supernatural would be terrific,) or sci-fi as 'Court of the Owls.'

3. To borrow a term from Morrison, make Bruce a 'lovegod.' In my opinion, the only film that adequately portrayed how Bruce's lovelife should be was Mask of the Phantasm. In that film, viewers saw the one woman who almost made him retire (but he did not) and in the party scene, evidence that he had a very healthy libido. It is easy to follow the train of thought that he sublimates his urges through beating the criminals, in costume - Burton drew symmetry between Bats and cat, in this regard-but, after seven films, adapting this standard is lazy. Pay the extra couple hundred k and hire some women to be his love interests. I want to see acknowledgments to relationships with Julie Madison, Silver St. Cloud, and Vicki Vale. Again, I refer to the party scene from Mask of the Phantasm.

4. Retire the depressed-recluse characterization. While CConn made an interesting argument a while ago that part of Bruce's characterization in the Burton's film is based partly on Burton himself, outside of those films, I am tired of Bruce being the depressed recluse. The successful duality he has in the comics is based on the public persona he adopts: the filmmakers need to make him a public figure and show it. One aspect I liked about Arkham City was the opening: where Wayne was holding a press conference and denouncing the facility. I want to see scenes like that in the next film, and not have his public appearances be limited to damn board meetings and the occasional double date.

5. Lose Lucius/Origins. Everyone knows Batman's origin; the flashback sequence should be no more than two minutes in the film, preferably thirty seconds. In addition, Bruce should manufacture his own equipment in the film, and not use Lucius. The problem with the Nolan films is that the ratio of Bruce's involvement decreased as time went on. Referring back to the Arkham games, I want a scene where he assembles a gadget on the spot, such as the REC. He's supposed to have genius level intelligence; it's about damn time they showed it.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #302
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Personally I think the title of this thread was perhaps a little more confrontational than it needed to be. Stating that things needed to be "fixed" implies that there were serious issues with the Nolan films and that there were glaring errors that hurt the film. I don't think this is the case and the responses in this thread further support my position, as all I really see are personal preferences and nothing that was really inherently wrong with the film.

I suppose I'm in the minority in that I wouldn't be interested at all in seeing more "detectiving" by Batman, I would find that boring if it were too much.
I'm one of the people who is a fan of realistic setting and thinks the Nolan trilogy was almost perfect. If I would change anything it would be the "more realistic fight scenes" because if you actually watch a scene where Batman is fighting a bunch of guys, unless you focus on batman, the choreographing is painfully obvious and each bad guy is just sort of floating around waiting for batman to beat him up.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #303
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Well there are hundreds of threads that pick apart Nolan's Batman trilogy piece by piece.

So to suggest that there's room for improvement is not that radical of a notion.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #304
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Everyone has their own definition of what Batman is, and what a Batman film should be. However, having said that, if we adopted the postmodern approach, the thread would be titled, "What is a Batman film?" I like the title and format, as it allows us to define our terms for what a definitive Batman film is, or is not.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #305
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Really there are only two factions.

Those who think it can get better than Nolan's version and those who don't.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #306
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Well there are hundreds of threads that pick apart Nolan's Batman trilogy piece by piece.

So to suggest that there's room for improvement is not that radical of a notion.
anyone coud pick apart any film piece by piece lol

And of course there's room for improvement. But pretty much everything in this thread that "needs to be fixed" is just people's personal opinions on what they didn't like, and if they were changed it wouldn't necessarily make the film better, just different.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #307
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

It would make it a better Batman movie to some extent which is why those changes are considered desirable.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #308
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
It would make it a better Batman movie to some extent which is why those changes are considered desirable.
Well, no, not necessarily. That's the point.

It's a matter of opinion. They would be considered to "make it better" and be "desirable" by some people. Just as the exatc opposite could be considered to "make it better" and be "desirable" by others.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #309
regwec
Shakespearo

I don't think anyone is under the impression that they are being asked for anything other than their opinion, JediBrah.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #310
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't think anyone is under the impression that they are being asked for anything other than their opinion, JediBrah.
I know, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the thread.

I was just commenting on how the thread title stating that things needed to be "fixed" has implications that have resulted in initiation of heated arguments.

Then someone started arguing with me.

*shrugs*

Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #311
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

You consider the debates in this thread ”heated”?

and most of the debate comes from defensive Nolan fans. Should people who think the franchise needs improvement bite our tongue for them or use terminology that only suggest Nolan's trilogy was flawless?

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 05-25-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #312
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Hey man I'm not trying to start a fight lol, there's nothing wrong with talking about what you want changed, I was just making a minor observation.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #313
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Oh okay.

Nice user name, brah.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #314
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
1. Stop with the Gotham destruction plots. With a Rogues' gallery as large and psychotic as Batman's, the film does not have to have citywide destruction promised to have the audience care about the stakes. They could the stakes personal, as in the case of 'Daredevil' (which looked and felt more of a Batman film than anything since Burton left,) or in terms of legacy (Morrison's RIP,) or ethics/morals (Arkham City.) The only exception I would make to this rule is if they have Poison Ivy as the villain and went for Transformers' level of destruction, as her plants demolished the city. Other than that - which will never happen - stop with the damn destruction plots already.
This.
I couldn't take another Batman film with another "Gotham has to be destrrroyed" plot.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #315
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Really there are only two factions.

Those who think it can get better than Nolan's version and those who don't.
Why only those?

How about the faction that wants to see a great Batman film that doesn't need to be compared to any of Nolan's Batfilms?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #316
Leetank
Battlecruiser Operational

Though I love Noalns films very much, I think future batman could use more detective work, different villains, etc.

Leetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #317
ThDWgeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I thought this was one of the things they fixed. It was always awkward to me to watch Batman swinging around like Spider-Man. Keep the two separate.

The grapple was used appropriately in the Nolan/Burton films. Cape gliding is win.

Now, would I like to see them get more creative with the grapple in general? Hell yeah.
They could use the grapple like the Arkham games did. Use it to get up high and accentuate the gliding rather than swing between streets.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #318
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando81 View Post
Nolan and Bale nailed it. No fixing needed.
This.

These films were as close to perfection as you are ever going to get out of the genre.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #319
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

lmao

Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #320
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

There's plenty of room for improvement.

Unless you think Batman should be a realistic concept/world then I guess it can't get better than Nolan but it doesn't take much imagination to realize the Batman world has plenty of untapped potential artistically.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #321
regwec
Shakespearo

Even if you do favour the 'toned down' approach, you must have been disappointed by all the flagrantly unrealistic stuff in the Nolan movies.

To say that any movie is 'perfect' rather implies that you don't really have an opinion about it. I refuse to believe that anybody can have tastes or preferences that are entirely identical with anybody else's. Even if you think Nolan's overall approach was inspired, you must have found a few things which you would prefer if they were done differently.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #322
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

My Next 5

6. Soundtrack. Zimmer is great, but they need a new sound for the next film. I would prefer they avoid Elfman a well, and create a very unique soundtrack.
7. Retire the Black suits. After six films, it is time to create a new color arrangement for the costume, as well a design. Some blue would be welcomed.
8. Avoid arcs that have already been done. In short, avoid using the following title as source material as they have already been drained btw. Nolan and Burton: Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke , Knightfall, and No Man's Land (which would work better as a tv series anyway, as TDKR took what I call snapshots from it.)
9. Open up the world to other heroes. Seven films in and the closest they've come to acknowledging a shared universe is a line about Superman working alone. Have the Question make an appearance like Green Arrow did in The Dark Knight Returns. Or something simple, to really hit home how awesome the DC universe is; one of my favorite moments from the considerably flawed Hush was when Bruce and Elliot were hanging out and saw one of the older Green Lanterns fighting a villain in Metropolis (I think.) Moments such as those do not require an hour of screen time contextualization.
10. Villains. I know the Joker is the yin-to-Bat's yang, so he should return in the second film. But, I do not want to see Freeze or Penguin as dominant villains in the next film, but, as side ones (if they have to be included.) I want the filmmakers to dive into the archives and bring someone who has never made it to the screen before. Clayface would be a step in the right direction; so would Hugo Strange (and have the dressing up as Batman subplot,) and a sprinkling of underlings including Deathstroke and Deadshot. The franchise needs a fresh creative team & willingness to depart from what has been done. Nolan's one of my favorite filmmakers (and TDKR is on my Top Ten film list,) but, I do not want another film with his aesthetic.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #323
doobie
Side-Kick

I personally do not want the next series to be "anything goes" in terms of sci fi and fantasy the same as the comics/animation/games are.

I would like the new films to have a different feel and look to the Nolan movies but to continue the tradition of trying to, if not be "realistic" at least make it feel as believable as possible. Describing the technology in enough detail so you feel it could exist in a spy-thriller world. In the way Ra's emitter, Batman's sonar, the Clean Slate were not really realistic but the film at least took them seriously enough so that you could suspend your disbelief and accept them existing in the film's world.

For example I would like to see someone rise to the challenge of making Mr Freeze look as believable and modern as the Nolan villains were, as opposed to saying "forget it, it's full on sci fi now, he can have his faithful animated series suit".

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #324
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Nothing needs to be fixed, it just needs to be different and distinct (to a certain extent).

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #325
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
I personally do not want the next series to be "anything goes" in terms of sci fi and fantasy the same as the comics/animation/games are.

I would like the new films to have a different feel and look to the Nolan movies but to continue the tradition of trying to, if not be "realistic" at least make it feel as believable as possible. Describing the technology in enough detail so you feel it could exist in a spy-thriller world. In the way Ra's emitter, Batman's sonar, the Clean Slate were not really realistic but the film at least took them seriously enough so that you could suspend your disbelief and accept them existing in the film's world.

For example I would like to see someone rise to the challenge of making Mr Freeze look as believable and modern as the Nolan villains were, as opposed to saying "forget it, it's full on sci fi now, he can have his faithful animated series suit".
Do you consider Arkham City "anything goes" in terms of sci-fi and fantasy?

I thought it was a good balance between BTAS, classic comics and Nolan-verse.