The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

View Poll Results: What do you want fixed for the Batman reboot? (multiple votes allowed)
More impressive fight scenes 110 59.14%
"World's greatest detective" better displayed 133 71.51%
More imaginative villains/concepts explored 81 43.55%
More iconic imagery (Gotham/Batmobile/etc) 72 38.71%
Sidekicks included (Robin, Nightwing, Oracle) 65 34.95%
Full extent of Batman's various training better implied (flashbacks?) 32 17.20%
No growling Bat-voice 66 35.48%
Bruce is the mask, Batman is the true face 49 26.34%
Fix the suit (NO RUBBER) 46 24.73%
Fix the suit (BUT USING RUBBER AGAIN) 13 6.99%
No love interest 25 13.44%
No Lucius Fox (Batman does all the brainy work) 30 16.13%
Batman is a more shadowy and mysterious figure 63 33.87%
More BTAS influence 59 31.72%
More Arkham Asylum influence 69 37.10%
More comic book influence (70's-current) 28 15.05%
More memorable theme music 29 15.59%
Moar prep-time!!! (Batman is always a few steps ahead) 37 19.89%
All of the above 9 4.84%
other (please specify below) 14 7.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #326
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Your top 5 things that needs to be "fixed" for the Batman reboot

Any CBM has room for improvement. Hell, Man of Steel will probably end up being a film that could use improvement.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #327
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Nothing needs to be fixed, it just needs to be different and distinct (to a certain extent).
For some people "different" is the same as improvement.

Poe-tay-toe, Poe-tah-toe.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #328
doobie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Do you consider Arkham City "anything goes" in terms of sci-fi and fantasy?

I thought it was a good balance between BTAS, classic comics and Nolan-verse.

I would prefer characters in a movie not to look as "stylised" as in the games. I prefer the more low key look, like in Year One or the darkest looking episodes of the Animated Series. I thought Mr Freeze in the comic story "Under the Hood" had a kind of look and feel that was almost approaching Nolan film suitable.

I don't think i'd want the "stylised" type of Sin City looking film for Batman. I prefer the Begins, Blade Runner, Hellboy type feel. The kind of balance between outlandish and real world.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #329
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
For some people "different" is the same as improvement.

Poe-tay-toe, Poe-tah-toe.
Alternative doesn't equal improvement, it just means different.

The only suggestion I would make is a unique theme song by a different composer, just so we can see what kind of work he brings to the table, something distinct from Zimmer or Elfman.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #330
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I personally don't see the "needs more detective skills" complaint comes from. His detective ability was well established in TDK. BB and TDKR has some of it too.

I don't want Batman to become a procedural.

I also think the fight scenes in TDK and Rises were very well done. The ones in Begins didn't bother as much as it did others either. The action around the hand-to-hand was good enough to compensate.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #331
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

It doesn't have to become a procedural.

They just need to establish Batman who is one of the greatest detectives with or without advanced technology.

Nolan's Batman relied heavily technology to uncover basic forensics (fingerprints, bullet fragments, dyed money).

These things any CSI episode would explore in the first 15 minutes.

I think many people want to see something more like the detective Morgan Freeman played in Se7en. Figuring an entire crime scene in a few moments then figuring where the criminal will strike next but also being prepared for the villains future crimes/traps. Awing all those around him in the process.

Many fans expect Batman to be one of the greatest detectives who ever lived. Being a forensic expert with expensive forensic tech doing much of the work is not enough.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #332
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

If we go for a more detective Batman story, I kind of want something akin to what the TV show Hannibal is doing with Will Graham. It's something I can easily see going on with Bruce, with a few changes due to the different psyches of the characters.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #333
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Fight scenes.

Almost a quarter of a century worth of Batman movies and we still haven't really seen Batman in a decent fight scene.
The next movie needs at least one brilliantly coreographed smack down scene where he just destroys a room full of goons.

Romance.

Every movie so far has these love interests that, for the most part, aren't terribly convincing. It's like they're only there because the producers don't want the sudience to think he's gay or something equally as dumb.
So yeah, next time, let's try this: No love interest.

Comic Book influences:

Next time it'd be really nice to have some movies made by people who want to celebrate the comic books, as opposed to distancing themselves from them by hiding behind Garish Goth trappings or a poe-faced veneer of 'realism'
People who understand, much like Joss Whedon, that 'going comic book' doesn't necessarily result in something like Batman and Robin.
For the first proper time, let's put the next Batman into a grey costume and put him against some crazy super-powered types, as well as gangsters.

Gotham.

Batman's city is practically a character in these stories. It should have a personality of it's own.
I''m not saying I want a return to the ostentatious -but still awesome- Anton Furst stuff, but let's see something a bit more distinctive next time.

Robin.

It's time.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #334
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Fight scenes.

Almost a quarter of a century worth of Batman movies and we still haven't really seen Batman in a decent fight scene.
The next movie needs at least one brilliantly coreographed smack down scene where he just destroys a room full of goons.

Romance.

Every movie so far has these love interests that, for the most part, aren't terribly convincing. It's like they're only there because the producers don't want the sudience to think he's gay or something equally as dumb.
So yeah, next time, let's try this: No love interest.

Comic Book influences:

Next time it'd be really nice to have some movies made by people who want to celebrate the comic books, as opposed to distancing themselves from them by hiding behind Garish Goth trappings or a poe-faced veneer of 'realism'
People who understand, much like Joss Whedon, that 'going comic book' doesn't necessarily result in something like Batman and Robin.
For the first proper time, let's put the next Batman into a grey costume and put him against some crazy super-powered types, as well as gangsters.

Gotham.

Batman's city is practically a character in these stories. It should have a personality of it's own.
I''m not saying I want a return to the ostentatious -but still awesome- Anton Furst stuff, but let's see something a bit more distinctive next time.

Robin.

It's time.
This. I agree with this 100%. Especially with the part about it being time for Robin.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #335
regwec
Shakespearo

Superior posting, Dodds.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #336
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's amazing isn't it. Eight friggin live action batman movies and not one with a decent fight scene. i am sort of blown away when I pull back and think about it. On the romance thing: I would say Michelle Pfieffer definitely felt genuine as the love interest.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #337
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Not one decent fight scene?

Every fight scene in the first two films is golden, old school fighting goodness.

Talk crap about the movie, but Batmans fights in Forever are pretty badass.

Begins doesn't have any straight fights that are very good, but the action surrounding them is great imo. So I'll give that film.

The Lau abduction on TDK is awesome when Bats crashes through the window and takes out the bad guys.

The last act of the TDK has pacing issues, but the SWAT fight at the end is pretty awesome.

-The two Bane fights in Rises are freakin' fantastic. The sewer fight especially. The last fight is short, but it's exciting and well shot.

Totally disagree that there haven't been any good fight scenes in the series.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #338
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Every fight scene in the first two films is golden, old school fighting goodness.
They are absolutely terrible with no sense of rhythm or drama. Not to mention terrible cinematography.

Quote:
The Lau abduction on TDK is awesome when Bats crashes through the window and takes out the bad guys.
Does Nolan's Batman have the power to slow down time? because once Batman appears all the goons' reflexes become clunkier than my ailed grandmother's.

Quote:
The last act of the TDK has pacing issues, but the SWAT fight at the end is pretty awesome.
The swat fight at the end is too silly and riddled with logical gaps to not be laughed at every time I watch it. The bad side has guns, where the hell are they shooting to not completely clean off the initial vanguard of cops.

Quote:
The two Bane fights in Rises are freakin' fantastic. The sewer fight especially. The last fight is short, but it's exciting and well shot
The first fight is a great scene, for everything else besides the fighting, the choreography of which I thought less than good.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #339
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
They are absolutely terrible with no sense of rhythm or drama. Not to mention terrible cinematography.

Does Nolan's Batman have the power to slow down time? because once Batman appears all the goons' reflexes become clunkier than my ailed grandmother's.

The swat fight at the end is too silly and riddled with logical gaps to not be laughed at every time I watch it. The bad side has guns, where the hell are they shooting to not completely clean off the initial vanguard of cops.

The first fight is a great scene, for everything else besides the fighting, the choreography of which I thought less than good.

-In your opinion.

-Nitpick

-Nitpick

-Whats wrong with the fighting? Everything is clearly visible with not quick cuts or shaky BS. It's harsh and brutal. Just like that fight should be.

It's like some people have this ultra detailed list of very specific things they need in these films that they take to the theater with them and check it off as they watch.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #340
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
In your opinion.
Wow, really? Are you sure? I thought everything I said this far were facts. Wow.

Quote:
Nitpick
Not really. When Batman takes ages to hit someone and the opposition waits for him all that time it is bad choreography. Perhaps you are too easy to please if you think Hong Kong was good choreography.

Quote:
Nitpick
Not really. Considering good choreography means the scene has to make sense in its own terms.

Quote:
Whats wrong with the fighting? Everything is clearly visible with not quick cuts or shaky BS. It's harsh and brutal. Just like that fight should be.
Though the fights are clearly filmed they are still flaccid in its choreography. Batman flails his arms around like he has never fought before even though he is supposed to be "not an average brawler". And once again, like the Hong Kong scene, the fights almost seem like they are in slow motion because of how slow they are.

Quote:
It's like some people have this ultra detailed list of very specific things they need in these films that they take to the theater with them and check it off as they watch.
It would be very hard for me to make a check list of things I would need to see in a film before I even saw it unless I could see the future. Sincerely, make some sense.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #341
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Wow, really? Are you sure? I thought everything I said this far were facts. Wow.

Not really. When Batman takes ages to hit someone and the opposition waits for him all that time it is bad choreography. Perhaps you are too easy to please if you think Hong Kong was good choreography.

Not really. Considering good choreography means the scene has to make sense in its own terms.

Though the fights are clearly filmed they are still flaccid in its choreography. Batman flails his arms around like he has never fought before even though he is supposed to be "not an average brawler". And once again, like the Hong Kong scene, the fights almost seem like they are in slow motion because of how slow they are.

It would be very hard for me to make a check list of things I would need to see in a film before I even saw it unless I could see the future. Sincerely, make some sense.

I simply don't see what you are describing in any of these scenes.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #342
doobie
Side-Kick

The one fight scene that really makes me scratch my head is when he saves Catwoman on the roof. I find it hard to see how he is moving in such a way that the henchmen don't just shoot him while he is fighting another. The others all worked for me thought in that they had a mixture of him coming out of nowhere, throwing them into each other causing chaos, etc.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #343
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

I'd like to see some superhuman type villains and I'd also like to see his detective side. Show us how smart batman is.

I also think it would be cool if everyday people assume batman is a superhuman especially if he is going to be in a shared universe. Pretty obvious superman, Wonder Woman, flash, Aquaman, GL all have super powers or a super powered ring, I think people would just assume batman has super powers.

Something like Gotham Night I got a story for you would be pretty cool to be somewhat adapted to the big screen as maybe an opening to the movie (if its not a rebooted orgin story)

Pickleweasel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #344
Caped Wonder
Newbie First Class

You know, they could bring back the Danny Elfman Batman theme for the reboot. I mean Superman has iconic music by John Williams (even though Man of Steel isn't gonna use it), Batman doesn't really. That one was the closest. So I dunno it'd be cool to hear that theme again.

More emphasis on the "world's greatest detective" thing. Seems like every live action Batman movie has got this wrong so far.

Caped Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #345
storyteller
Side-Kick

I think the theme should be left in the past. There is nothing wrong with it but it's not Burtons Batman. Iconic should be something they naturally come back to but I think right now it's nostalgia.

1) Robin- want to see the guy.
2) Detective work
3) No need a cough drop voice. Make it seem natural. hell just do what Conroy does.
4) More superhuman elements to Batman. In the cartoons while a normal human there is still something super about him. I want to see him jump over or under a huge shipping container thrown at him from something like amazo.
5) BIG FREKIN BAT SYMBOL ON THE SUIT!

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #346
FVD
Jolly Loves You

I'd like to see Gotham as being more of an identity compared to looking at the City of Chicago or Pittsburgh etc. Batman Begins had it right to a degree. Baffled as to why the followups didn't continue with that look.

And agreed too on the impressive fight sequences plus Batman the DETECTIVE!! Heck even a John Jones cameo would be sweet!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #347
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

My votes, in no order.
Batman is a more shadowy and mysterious figure
I'd like to see a more built up myth of Batman, with the public being unsure what is attacking criminals at night. And literally, we need to see less of Batman in daytime/well-lit environments, and more of him lurking in shadows, barely visible.

"World's greatest detective" better displayed
No explanation needed.

More iconic imagery (Gotham/Batmobile/etc)
Have to have some "hero" shots. In Rises when Batman made his return on the batpod, it felt like a wasted opportunity. I feel that reveal could have been much more powerful. Burton gave us some great shots/reveals like that, and I hope the next director chooses to go that direction as well.

Fix the suit (BUT USING RUBBER AGAIN)
Not so much the suit, but the damn cowl/ears/mouth opening.

Bruce is the mask, Batman is the true face
No explanation needed.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #348
StraightSix
Side-Kick

-No Lucious Fox in the next one. Batman needs to be able to create and develop his own gadgets and weaponry.

-Needs to show a lot higher intellect in order for him to actually be of use if there ever is a JL movie. Needs to have strong strategical plans for fighting people.

-Needs to be in a mold similar to that of the Arkham video game series/ JLA animated series in terms of personality.

Less grounded approach to his character. No one is going to believe he can fit into the new DC universe that Snyder has apparently created with MOS if it follows a style similar to Nolan's Batman.

StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #349
Rorschach2012
$

You don't even need a Bat-Family. You just need to introduce Dick Grayson, show him progress from Robin to Nightwing. With Barbara Gordon, you could still have her be paralyzed by Joker, and she could still become Oracle without ever being Batgirl. i think Batgirl could be kinda hokey, but Oracle would work well.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #350
EliteF50
Side-Kick

I just want Batman to be the Batman we all know and love from the comics, Arkham games, and BTAS. I never felt that way with Nolan's trilogy.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote