The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Biggest disappointment?
Fantastic Four 3 1.68%
HULK 6 3.35%
X3: The Last Stand 22 12.29%
Spider-Man 3 39 21.79%
The Dark Knight Rises 31 17.32%
Batman and Robin 14 7.82%
Captain America: The First Avenger 3 1.68%
Iron Man 2 4 2.23%
Green Lantern 21 11.73%
Superman Returns 19 10.61%
Other 17 9.50%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #201
CJ
Derpy Derp

Default Re: Most disappointing comic-book movie

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/23/th...ilm-ever-made/

Calling it the 'Worst Movie Ever Made' is a bit extremd, but still, I agree with pretty much everything this critic says.

Sonic Boom
This Fall on Cartoon Network

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #202
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post

Calling it the 'Worst Movie Ever Made' is a bit extremd, but still, I agree with pretty much everything this critic says.
The Worst Movie is a little OTT...but I agree somewhat, I feel, from TDK to TDKR, something was just lost in translation.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #203
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
For such a hugely successful film series, there was a lot of expectation for the "epic conclusion of The Dark Knight legend"

And contrary to what Anno_Domoni says TDKR got a mixed reaction from fans. When it was released, members on TDKF forum were divided. Some loved it, some found it mediocre, others despised it.

Some critics trashed the film, there's currently a thread in TDKR forum, written by a fan of the movie, asking why so many people are trashing it. And right now it's #2 on this very poll.

TDKR may not be the worst CBM ever made, but it definitely left many fans disappointed and has every right to be on this list.
All valid points. I think TDKR is easily the best film, and I do mean EASILY, on this list, but living up to BB and TDK and being the 'epic conclusion' was naturally going to lead to TONS of disappointment. It should be on this list. However, I think Spiderman 3 was in a similar category(Sm1 and Sm2 were almost as praised as BB and TDK for their time) and SM3 was absolutely horrid, so Sm3 wins for me. Even though, I love TDKR, I'd still put it #2 simply because I was so eager for it that it was almost impossible for it not to disappoint and it did. After my initial disappointment, it got much better on repeated viewings.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #204
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I have may issues with Rises but it is now way the worst film ever made. That is nothing but a link bait headline. Rises didn't so much disappoint me, but Chris Nolan did, had it been any other director who made that film I probably wouldn't be as hard on it as I was. The film lacked the spit and polish of his previous movies and was devoid of any genuine surprises along the way. If it was any other director I'd probably be a bit more forgiving but knowing what he produced in the past it really came as a let down the way the film was executed.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #205
Blake II
Banned User

I'm surprised Iron Man 3 isn't on there.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #206
CJ
Derpy Derp

I made this poll before the film was released.

Sonic Boom
This Fall on Cartoon Network

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #207
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:

"A bit" extreme? More like hyperbole to the max.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #208
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

TDKR was a massive disappointment, but it's nowhere near being the worst movie ever made. No Batman movie is a contender for that, not even Batman and Robin.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #209
doobie
Side-Kick

As controversial as it sounds I was disappointed with TDK. I had spent 3 years psyching myself up for another film in the style of Begins and was shocked it felt so different. I was expecting a more city centre feel to the film as it made that clear in Begins that the main bad guys were in the shiny big city and Batman would have to move from the Narrows to there in his mission. But I wasn't ready for the lack of focus on Wayne and the general lack of the sentimentalism Begins had. I did come to love and understand it more on extra viewings though.

As for the list, has to be Superman. I love Rises and Cap and wasn't really a fan of the other series listed, but Returns really let my expectations down. Again I was expecting a Batman Begins style movie.

Last edited by doobie; 05-31-2013 at 09:22 AM.
doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #210
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie View Post
As controversial as it sounds I was disappointed with TDK. I had spent 3 years psyching myself up for another film in the style of Begins and was shocked it felt so different. I was expecting a more city centre feel to the film as it made that clear in Begins that the main bad guys were in the shiny big city and Batman would have to move from the Narrows to there in his mission. But I wasn't ready for the lack of focus on Wayne and the general lack of the sentimentalism Begins had. I did come to love and understand it more on extra viewings though.
Agreed on both counts. One of my main peeves with TDK is how utterly normal and generic Gotham looks and feels. The Gotham in Begins had a more stylized look to it. It was slightly more futuristic in look and scope. It was an uber city-New York on steroids. The Narrows also helped give it that heightened sense of reality. The Gotham in TDK is a completely different city. The total lack of visual continuity is annoying. I liked the Gotham in Rises better. It still didn't have the look of Begins, but they way it was shot and put together gave it back some of its Uber City feel.

I guess that why I enjoy Begins and Rises better. They both focus more on Bruce than TDK does, where he feels lost in the shuffle.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #211
doobie
Side-Kick

For me I think that TDK is a Batman movie and not a Wayne movie. He is fully in the role and even the stuff he does as Wayne is all for stopping crime, like promoting Dent (apart from the few minutes of asking Rachel to wait for him). Wayne has character but all Batman does is fight bad guys and solve mysteries, which is exciting to watch but not as emotionally engaging as seeing his human side.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #212
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

And I also think it's simply invalid that some people try to claim that Rises is somehow considered an honest to god disappointment.

It's not as universally beloved as TDK was, but to call it a disappointment is false. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it split fandom down the middle. It received mostly great reviews, sits at 8.6 on imdb and even most people here rate it anywhere from 8-10 out 10. A handful of negative press from some blog writers and forum users is nowhere near indicative of the actual response to the film.

It's like Return of the Jedi, or Two Towers. While they may not be as totally and completely loved as their counterparts, the vast majority of the fandom still loves them and enjoys them. As well as the general audience.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #213
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
TDKR was a massive disappointment, but it's nowhere near being the worst movie ever made. No Batman movie is a contender for that, not even Batman and Robin.
Batman & Robin isn't even the worst movie of the Batfamily. At least it was so stupid you could get enjoyment by making fun of it. Catwoman didn't even offer that much.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #214
roach
I am the night

The most disappointing film to me was Iron Man 3. I watched the Nolan bat flicks but didn't become invested in them. I liked Iron Man and RDJ and had high hopes for Shane Black. Now my issues with IM3 have nothing to do with who is/was the Mandarin but in how lazy the film was, how dumb they made Tony out to be, how dumb they made the Mandarin out to be....."Tony giving out his address and not being prepared for the eventual attack is stupid on all levels.....The Mandarin taking time out of his plan to attack Tony, when attacking Tony had nothing to do with the scheme, is stupid".

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #215
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

Oh my god this article was hilarious to read.

Yah, let's forget about true awful films and let's forget about true awful CBMs....TDKR for the win!

Quote:
It has Anne Hathaway as an anorexic robot

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #216
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
For such a hugely successful film series, there was a lot of expectation for the "epic conclusion of The Dark Knight legend"

And contrary to what Anno_Domoni says TDKR got a mixed reaction from fans. When it was released, members on TDKF forum were divided. Some loved it, some found it mediocre, others despised it.

Some critics trashed the film, there's currently a thread in TDKR forum, written by a fan of the movie, asking why so many people are trashing it. And right now it's #2 on this very poll.

TDKR may not be the worst CBM ever made, but it definitely left many fans disappointed and has every right to be on this list.
Oh man, I'm so glad you pay attention to my posts!

I have never said every fan loved the film; only say that the majority of the GA enjoyed TDKR while it's as polarizing to fanboys as Batman Returns is. But still, it IS critically higher than Batman Begins, and that's saying a lot when BB is an extraordinary CBM.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-31-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #217
weezerspider
Side-Kick

I know a good portion of the GA who thinks TDKR is the best of the three. TDKR also got substantially better critical reviews than Begins. Even the fanboys being 'mixed' is an over-reaction. The biggest issue with the fanboys is we all spend every waking moment discussing TDKR and for the most part, we pieced it together pretty easily. That and the fanboys hate the idea of Bruce retiring.

IMDB: 8.6(#51 All Time)
RT: 87% (92% audience RT)
Metacritic:78(81 is 'universal acclaim)

Hell, 2012 was supposed to be TDKR vs The Avengers and TDKR has a higher score on IMDB, MUCH higher score on Metacritc and(Avengers has a 69) and similar, albeit less, numbers on RT. TDKR was also on AFT's Top 10 of the year. This is not to say 'Plenty of people liked it. Therefore you should too'. If you don't like it, thats fine, but its factually wrong to claim the majority of people didn't like TDKR or were massively disappointed by it. Its also asinine to even think about calling it the worst film ever.

It also had the most 100% reviews on Metacritc than any other 2012 blockbuster. Guys like Roeper gave it an A.

Last edited by weezerspider; 05-31-2013 at 03:30 PM.
weezerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #218
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Sure there are some that think it's the best of the three, there's also an equal portion that thinks it's the weakest of the three, and I'd be among them.

To me TDKR is pretty forgettable, and I have little inclination to rewatch it, unlike BB or TDK. There are some parts that are brilliant, but just like Spider-man 3 it leaves too much to coincidence, and just loses all sense of believability while the others in the series are far more grounded.

So while I don't agree that a majority dislike it, I'd say that I can see why some people might be mostly disappointed with it.

As far as Avengers vs. TDKR, as more time passes it's patently clear that Avengers owned 2012. I know Argo won best picture and deservedly so, but the film of 2012 was Avengers, it was a film everybody saw no matter who you are, or where you were (meaning world wide).

The more time passes TDKR does not hold up in the way that BB and TDK did.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #219
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: Most disappointing comic-book movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
I know a good portion of the GA who thinks TDKR is the best of the three. TDKR also got substantially better critical reviews than Begins. Even the fanboys being 'mixed' is an over-reaction. The biggest issue with the fanboys is we all spend every waking moment discussing TDKR and for the most part, we pieced it together pretty easily. That and the fanboys hate the idea of Bruce retiring.

IMDB: 8.6(#51 All Time)
RT: 87% (92% audience RT)
Metacritic:78(81 is 'universal acclaim)

Hell, 2012 was supposed to be TDKR vs The Avengers and TDKR has a higher score on IMDB, MUCH higher score on Metacritc and(Avengers has a 69) and similar, albeit less, numbers on RT. TDKR was also on AFT's Top 10 of the year. This is not to say 'Plenty of people liked it. Therefore you should too'. If you don't like it, thats fine, but its factually wrong to claim the majority of people didn't like TDKR or were massively disappointed by it. Its also asinine to even think about calling it the worst film ever.

It also had the most 100% reviews on Metacritc than any other 2012 blockbuster. Guys like Roeper gave it an A.
But, like, TDKR is the worst movie ever made

Giggity.

I love the film more and more and would take TDKR over TDK and BB any day.

And speaking of Roeper....his review of the film is aces.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-31-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #220
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: Most disappointing comic-book movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Sure there are some that think it's the best of the three, there's also an equal portion that thinks it's the weakest of the three, and I'd be among them.

To me TDKR is pretty forgettable, and I have little inclination to rewatch it, unlike BB or TDK. There are some parts that are brilliant, but just like Spider-man 3 it leaves too much to coincidence, and just loses all sense of believability while the others in the series are far more grounded.

So while I don't agree that a majority dislike it, I'd say that I can see why some people might be mostly disappointed with it.

As far as Avengers vs. TDKR, as more time passes it's patently clear that Avengers owned 2012. I know Argo won best picture and deservedly so, but the film of 2012 was Avengers, it was a film everybody saw no matter who you are, or where you were (meaning world wide).

The more time passes TDKR does not hold up in the way that BB and TDK did.
Co-signed

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #221
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

For me, TDKR was disappointing because it came after TDK, which was immensely good. And I have to say that I have talked a lot about the ending of it, because it was the part where I have almost every one of my problems with the movie. The rest of the it was actually good to me. Bane was a great villain, the story was extreme, the acting was good, etc.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #222
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:

This guy needs to see more movies.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Room? Troll 2? Titanic 2? The Twilight Series? Catwoman? Batman and Robin? Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure? Jack and Jill? That's My Boy? Superbabies? Superbabies 2? Disaster Movie? Epic Movie? Die Hard Dracula? The Wild World of Batwoman? Chairman of the Board? The Super Mario Brothers Movie? Son of the Mask? The Tony Blair Witch Project? Waterworld? Battlefield Earth? Santa Claus Conquers the Martians? Cool as Ice? The Cat In The Hat? Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen? The Last Airbender? The Wiz? Jack? Alien Resurrection? Jungle 2 Jungle? Richie Rich? Thomas and the Magic Railroad? Cop and a Half? Milk Money? Jaws 3D? Jaws 4? Dungeons and Dragons? Ferngully 2? The Abyss? Rover Dangerfield? Leprechaun? The Flintstones Movie? Zeus and Roxanne? Home Alone 3? Flubber? Bio-Dome? End of Days? Judge Dredd? Tank Girl? Superman 3? Superman 4? The Next Karate Kid? Alone in the Dark? Barb Wire? Steel? Sidekicks? Red Sonja? Pagemaster? Good Burger? Godzilla (1998)? Mortal Kombat? Mortal Kombat: Annihilation? Howard the Duck? Double Dragon? The Phantom Menace? Attack of the Clones? The Wizard? Reefer Madness? The German Chainsaw Massacre? Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS? I Spit on Your Grave? The Sleepaway Camp Series? Turkish Rambo? Turkish Casper? The Devil With Hitler? Hack-O-Lantern? Karate Girl? The Mutilator? Goldengirl? Criminally Insane? Death Nurse? They Saved Hitler's Brain? Child Bride? The Terror of Tiny Town? Hitler: Dead or Alive? Cannibal Holocaust? Geek Maggot Bingo? Silent Night, Deadly Night? Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2? Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 3? The Geek? Troll 3? Turkish Star Wars? Medea's Witness Protection? Scary Movie 2? Scary Movie 3? Scary Movie 4? Scary Movie 5? A Haunted House? Texas Chainsaw 3D? Silent Hill? Silent Hill: Revelation? Paranormal Activity 4? A Good Day to Die Hard? Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies? Chernobyl Diaries? Battleship? Alvin and the Chipmunks Trilogy? New Years Eve? The Smurfs? Mr. Popper's Penguins? Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer? Priest? Manos: The Hands of Fate? The Garbage Pail Kids? Highlander 2? Star Trek 5? North? Showgirls? Movie 43? Birdemic? The German Fried Movie? BloodRayne? BloodRayne 2? House of the Dead? Blackwoods? Alone in the Dark II? Far Cry? Rampage? BloodRayne: The Third Reich? Auschwitz? Glen or Glenda? Plan 9 From Outerspace? The Violent Years? Night of the Ghouls? The Sinister Urge? Town & Country? Soul Plane? X-Men Origins: Wolverine? Raise the Titanic? Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus? Paranormal Entity? Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus? Transmorphers? Transmorphers: Fall of Man? Pearl Harbour? 2012? Snakes on a Train?

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #223
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Agreed on both counts. One of my main peeves with TDK is how utterly normal and generic Gotham looks and feels. The Gotham in Begins had a more stylized look to it. It was slightly more futuristic in look and scope. It was an uber city-New York on steroids. The Narrows also helped give it that heightened sense of reality. The Gotham in TDK is a completely different city. The total lack of visual continuity is annoying. I liked the Gotham in Rises better. It still didn't have the look of Begins, but they way it was shot and put together gave it back some of its Uber City feel.

I guess that why I enjoy Begins and Rises better. They both focus more on Bruce than TDK does, where he feels lost in the shuffle.
Thing is the look of Gotham in all three film was intentionally made different, it was a way of visually distinguishing each film from one and other whilst complimenting each relative story. Gotham is essentially a character in each movie.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #224
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Spider-Man 3 is the epitome of disappointment. I had such high hopes for that film. I remember when this forum shut down when the teaser trailer was released. I honestly had never been so disappointed by a film ever since. I remember legitimately being pissed as I was walking out of the theater because I expected so much more.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #225
superion
Side-Kick

Dark Knight Rises wasn't bad. There were some dumb things in the movie like trapping thousands of cops in the sewers and the fight with the police and Banes goons at the end but overall it was still a good film.

Most disappointing would be Spider-Man which was not a good film at all after the first two were good. The Hulk was the next biggest one because it had Ang Lee as the director who is the only director of a comic book movie to win a Oscar for best director and he made a mediocre movie. Than Superman Returns because Singer was coming off his best comic book movie X2 and Returns was just pretty awful.

The others I expected to be bad based on the directors:

Who didn't expect Brett Ratner to screw up X3 or Joel Schumacher would make Batman and Robin good after the crap that was Batman Forever. Tim Story making a good FF was a long shot to begin with. Throw in working with a budget below $100 million and everyone knew it would suck.

Green Lantern didn't surprise me when it sucked. I knew it could go either way. The directors best work was with the Bond movies so GL was out of his comfort zone and GL was a tough concept to do anyway.

IM2 was still a good movie just not as good as the first one and Captain America was also a good movie. With Joe Johnston as director who had a spotty record as well CA could have gone either way.

Last edited by superion; 06-01-2013 at 08:19 AM.
superion is offline   Reply With Quote