The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #226
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I can't for the life of me stand people too far outside the middle in either direction (narrow minds annoy me)

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum."

- Noam Chomsky

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter

Last edited by Axl Van Sixx; 03-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #227
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGenerate10 View Post
LOL Because that hurt the Avengers with Samuel L Jackson didn't it?

And if you don't know SLJ has been one of Obama's bigger supporters. Just because someone is a left wing or right wing doesn't mean it's going to affect their work.
SLJ also voted for Bush.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #228
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The fact that they thought that it would stave off the Chitauri invasion might be a mitigating factor, but they acted against the advice of their own leader in the field, Fury, who deemed it unwarranted at the time. That falls under the heading of "...the wanton destruction of cities, towns and villages, and any devastation not justified by military, or civilian necessity."
The civilian leadership is the ultimate judge of "military necessity", not Fury.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #229
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Cap committed a war crime in CA:TFA. It was a crime that he didn't get to bang Peggy Carter during the war lol.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #230
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
I hope Redford is an inactive agent that had run-ins with Winter Soldier throughout his active career. Redford can be the bridge that informs the Winter Soldier character between WW2 and present day, telling the audience that Winter Soldier has been active the whole time without showing Winter Soldier over the past seventy years.
This is exactly how I see them using Redford.

The actor portraying Agent Sitwell talked about big MCU reveals in the movie. I think this is all part of it. Things like Winter Soldier being part of the JFK assassination and other events in history. Redford's character can connect the dots for the current SHIELD operatives, since he investigated and clashed with the WS in the past.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #231
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
The civilian leadership is the ultimate judge of "military necessity", not Fury.

But the fact is that the nuclear strike was not a military necessary, period. The Avengers had the situation in hand and Fury made the right call in deciding to give the team time to wrap things up. The Council may have had the right to override Fury's decision, but they were absolutely wrong to have done so. The fact that there was no military necessity for the nuke is what made it a war crime, despite the Council's authority to order the missile launch. As I stated before, were they to be tried for a war crime, "We were scared and panicked" would not be a valid defense.

Last edited by xeno000; 03-25-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #232
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I've seen plenty of posts (elsewhere and here) about how RR's character would outrank Fury, based on the "senior" member of SHIELD description.

And it might be so, but at the same time, senior might refer to his place in the SHIELD hierarchy. Perhaps he's brass, but not yet at the level of Fury.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #233
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I've seen plenty of posts (elsewhere and here) about how RR's character would outrank Fury, based on the "senior" member of SHIELD description.

And it might be so, but at the same time, senior might refer to his place in the SHIELD hierarchy. Perhaps he's brass, but not yet at the level of Fury.
True. Who is higher than the Director of the organization? To use a real world example, no one at the CIA is higher in the chain of command than the Director of Central Intelligence. SHIELD may have a different management structure, of course, but it would be odd to have someone above the Director, especially when that isn't the case in the comics.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #234
bert19
Side-Kick

Maybe Redford is just going to be playing the present-day version of Dum Dum Duggan? ;-)
I mean, he's got the right hair colour and he has previous with growing a moustache...
Or Maybe he's going to be Zemo or Weaving's replacement as the Skull?

Seriously though, if he's interested in/close to taking a part, that must surely mean the script is good? And that the film has some real credibility?
Or am I just getting my hopes up?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #235
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Or maybe Redford just wants to cross "superhero movie" off his bucket list, or maybe he has a grandchild that wants him to be in it. It's happened before.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #236
BoredGuy
Killing Time

What if Redford is playing the 50's era replacement Cap?

People have always said a young RR would have been perfect for Cap, and he could tie in the whole Cold War aspect with Winter Soldier. He was the guy fighting on the front lines (or back lines i guess with the cold war) so he should've run in to WS at some point. He could've just aged out of being Cap 2.0 and took a bureaucratic position within SHIELD. I dunno, just a thought

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #237
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Guys, they practically said what Redford's role would be in the movie. Maybe not by name, but note that they said his role is like Fiennes' was in Skyfall. And Fiennes' role was the replacement for Judi Dench's M. So it's highly likely that they mean that Redford is going to oust Fury as the head of SHIELD.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #238
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If Redford wears an eyepatch as well, and chomps cigars, then we know he's really 616 Nick Fury, even if by another name.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #239
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Guys, they practically said what Redford's role would be in the movie. Maybe not by name, but note that they said his role is like Fiennes' was in Skyfall. And Fiennes' role was the replacement for Judi Dench's M. So it's highly likely that they mean that Redford is going to oust Fury as the head of SHIELD.

I really don't see that happening
Not when you have the man, Sammy L, playing Fury, and enjoying himself while doing it.
I didn't take that to mean he'd be a replacement, just another higher-up who ends up being friendly-ish and helpful
Maybe he'll be a UN "replacement" for Fury, but then he'll end up working with him

Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #240
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
What if there's a twist here, where Redford's character turns out to be an old Hydra operative (Baron?) who has infiltrated and risen up the ranks of SHIELD, and also turns out to be the mastermind behind the Winter Soldier program? Just a silly thought.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #241
BoredGuy
Killing Time

That's another possibilty^

Maybe we finally have our Zemo

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #242
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert19 View Post
Maybe Redford is just going to be playing the present-day version of Dum Dum Duggan? ;-)
I mean, he's got the right hair colour and he has previous with growing a moustache...
I can't come up with a reason why you wouldn't just get Neal McDonough back. Why waste someone like Redford on Dugan of all people?

I think he's either what they're saying (high-ranking Shield guy) or they're throwing us a curve and he'll turn out to be a villain of some kind.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #243
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I can't come up with a reason why you wouldn't just get Neal McDonough back. Why waste someone like Redford on Dugan of all people?

I think he's either what they're saying (high-ranking Shield guy) or they're throwing us a curve and he'll turn out to be a villain of some kind.
I do think if cast, he'll be the prime villain, perhaps the villain of the Avengers.

The idea that he's old Dum-Dum is pretty out there, for me.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #244
Ksb36
Side-Kick

In "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" Nick Fury disappears for a while, goes deep undercover. I am thinking that Fury disappears and there's a power struggle at the top of SHIELD for who gets to be top dog. Redford's character and Maria Hill will likely be in conflict for that position.

But, he could be Zemo, too. I don't know. I haven't seen Redford in anything in so long, I am wondering if he still has the chops to pull it off. He was tremendous as a younger man, but I have to admit his astonishing good looks didn't hurt him, any. These days...not so much.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #245
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I hope Redford is not Zemo or another villain. If that were the case, I don't think he'd fit with the casting at all. He already seems more like Captain America than Evans, so getting him as Zemo seems inappropriate. He needs to be someone with a similar outlook or personality to Cap, who could easily have assumed the mantle when he was younger, but is now older and has risen up the ranks in SHIELD.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #246
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Here's a thought, what if he's Dell Rusk, or a similar character?

Dell Rusk was the Secretary of Defense in Geof Johns's run on Avengers, as well as on A:EMH, who turned out to be the Red Skull is disguise.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #247
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

You'd think that people were better at anagrams. Anyone who played around with these names a bit could figure out that Dell Rusk is Red Skull. The only movie I recall where someone actually did this a bit was in Redford's film Sneakers, where Seetec Astronomy was an anagram for Too Many Secrets, which they figured out.

You would also think that someone who is a villain wouldn't just rearrange the letters of their name but would pick something completely different so as not to potentially get caught by wordsmiths.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #248
bert19
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

It's almost as if...... I wrote that comment for the exact sort of reaction you just came up with.

I was clearly being quite tongue-in-cheek....

Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #249
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
You'd think that people were better at anagrams. Anyone who played around with these names a bit could figure out that Dell Rusk is Red Skull. The only movie I recall where someone actually did this a bit was in Redford's film Sneakers, where Seetec Astronomy was an anagram for Too Many Secrets, which they figured out.

You would also think that someone who is a villain wouldn't just rearrange the letters of their name but would pick something completely different so as not to potentially get caught by wordsmiths.
Comics, yo!

Yeah, if it happens, I suspect he'd get another name. Perhaps the name of another character from the comics, just to be throw the comics audience for a curve, like Henry Gyrich.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #250
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I have to say that Dan Brown does this a bit in some of his books where a villain uses an anagram and the heroes come across so dumb that they can't figure it out and start chasing down wrong leads, despite the fact that some of them are meant to be highly intelligent. I think it's in Digital Fortress and one of his other ones, and possibly the Davinci Code, but I could be wrong about the latter one. When reading it, I could see it a mile off as soon as I saw the anagram, and the heroes are fumbling about in the dark.

Closed Thread