The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #276
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
- It'll probably be Zemo.
Just as long as there's someone. Zola wouldn't cut it with me.

Quote:
- Black Widow is in this, and she's Russian.
I meant someone to flesh out the Winter Soldier's backstory, like Lukin, or Karpov. I don't want the backstory to be Scarlett Johansson talking about the Winter Soldier.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #277
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
The Leaper is a C-list villain so it's like he's just a cameo villain. But not a real threat.
I think he'll be in the film for a good amount of time. About the level the Howling Commandos in the first Cap movie.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #278
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I meant someone to flesh out the Winter Soldier's backstory, like Lukin, or Karpov. I don't want the backstory to be Scarlett Johansson talking about the Winter Soldier.
Black Widow does flash out his backstory though...

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #279
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
What if there's a twist here, where Redford's character turns out to be an old Hydra operative (Baron?) who has infiltrated and risen up the ranks of SHIELD, and also turns out to be the mastermind behind the Winter Soldier program? Just a silly thought.
I don't think that's a bad idea at all.
And Marvel is pretty consistent in hiring top names for their high-level villains (not counting the henchies), as opposed to just supporting cast. So yeah, there's a pretty good chance that Marvel *will* go curve-ball on this one and make Redford a villain who's in disguise; a mole who's highly placed in the SHIELD organization.

Not *entirely* sold on him as Zemo, though. Zemo's backstory almost necessarily requires the iconic purple mask to be permanently grafted onto his face, so it's not like Zemo could disguise himself as *anybody.* Possibly Strucker, Lukin, Faustus, or somebody else? Hell, I even like the Dell Rusk idea, but Skully would have a LOT of 'splainin' to do at the end of the movie to pull that off.

Also: Batroc zee Leapairrr....lol. I'm sure GSP is going to play him straight up and there won't be any of the camp there, but I just find it funny that one of Marvel's campiest villains has even made it to the big screen. And just a few days after JCVD was practically begging for a role in the MCU....? Poor old Jean-Claude....and I do mean "old."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #280
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think we'll see Batroc, Crossbones and Winter Soldier as sort of a Henchman Army to either Red Skull or Baron Zemo, with Arnim Zola basically reprising his Igorian assitant role, albeit in a robot body.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #281
Frico
Live by the creed

Man, this film is going to be huge. Thrilled to have another classic Cap villain in the form of Batroc but GSP? We'll see how that plays out.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #282
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Not sure about all the villains/mercenaries but no mention of the big-time CA baddies. Makes me wonder if they're holding out on us and will announce who it is once they start filming.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #283
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So is Redford official then? Why no proper announcement from even something like Deadline?

Cool to see Batroc ze Leaper. I hope he has something resembling his classic costume. If he is just dressed generically he could've been anyone and not necessarily Batroc. I think having Van Damme in that role would've made it too prominent when it's probably just a small cameo.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #284
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Man they are stuffing this movie with a lot of characters. Hopefully we get a longer movie.

- CM Punk
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #285
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

This is already almost like Avengers 1.5 with the number of characters and big names in it.

BTW if anyone from here edited the wikipedia page for Cap 2, learn to spell. It's Pierce not Pirece.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #286
Chewy
REDACTED

Marvel made a movie with Whiplash as the main villain, WHIPLASH. They don't have to write Crossbones as the kinda dumb stooge he is in the comics, he could easily be written as a cunning merc.

But at this point the movie is way too crowded for Zemo. They're probably saving him for Cap 3 ala Mandarin in the IM franchise

Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #287
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Marvel made a movie with Whiplash as the main villain, WHIPLASH. They don't have to write Crossbones as the kinda dumb stooge he is in the comics, he could easily be written as a cunning merc.

But at this point the movie is way too crowded for Zemo. They're probably saving him for Cap 3 ala Mandarin in the IM franchise
I still think it's possible that Red Skull is pulling the strings, and right now they're trying to woo Hugo Weaving back or perhaps find a replacement, thus why we haven't had a "big bad."

It's also possible that Crossbones is getting Whiplash treatment, and being turned into a big bad.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #288
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:

Whiplash was also the worst received villain in the MCU so far. Marvel knows they made a mistake with that one. And even so, he had Justin Hammer as a different type of villain to work off of.

And even if Crossbones is a cunning merc, that doesn't mean he'll be the "big bad." For every Bane, there's a Talia.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #289
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Just saying with all these characters on the table, we are going to need a 2 hour 25 minute movie like Avengers.

Now we have:

Captain America
The Falcon
Black Widow
Cap's Love Interest (Emily VanCamp)
Bucky/Winter Soldier
Nick Fury
Batroc
Crossbones
SHIELD General (Robert Redford)
Main Villain

I mean that's a lot of characters who will need a significant amount of screentime. Granted some more than others. Falcon needs a whole formal introduction. Bucky/Winter Soldier will be a big driving part of the story. Plus any romantic subplots, potential conflict/tension with Cap and Fury, etc.

You don't get Robert Redford if he signs for the movie for a small role. It would have to be comparable to Tommy Lee Jones or Stanley Tucci in the first movie.

- CM Punk
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #290
Chewy
REDACTED

Whiplash is the worst received MCU villain because the character was hugely underwritten and Rourke was terrible in the film. Not because it was impossible to make a movie with that kind of character as the villain.

Thor 2 will be about Malekith and the Dark Elves, so it's not like they're shying away from D-list villains.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #291
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Just saying with all these characters on the table, we are going to need a 2 hour 25 minute movie like Avengers.

Now we have:

Captain America
The Falcon
Black Widow
Bucky/Winter Soldier
Nick Fury
Batroc
Crossbones
Main Villain

I mean that's a lot of characters who will need a significant amount of screentime. Granted some more than others. Falcon needs a whole formal introduction. Bucky/Winter Soldier will be a big driving part of the story. Plus any romantic subplots, potential conflict/tension with Cap and Fury, etc.

You don't get Robert Redford if he signs for the movie for a small role. It would have to be comparable to Tommy Lee Jones or Stanley Tucci in the first movie.
Don't forget to add Zola to that list of yours.

On a side note, I really hope Hawkeye is in this... if not, oh well. At least he's going to be in TA2 a year later.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #292
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Black Widow does flash out his backstory though...
Eh, maybe. But again, unless they want to explore Winter Soldier's backstory by merely having Natasha talk about it, they need to cast some non-Black Widow Russian characters.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #293
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Whiplash is the worst received MCU villain because the character was hugely underwritten and Rourke was terrible in the film. Not because it was impossible to make a movie with that kind of character as the villain.

Thor 2 will be about Malekith and the Dark Elves, so it's not like they're shying away from D-list villains.
We're arguing two different things here. I don't give a crap how popular the character is.

What I'm talking about is the fact that Crossbones won't be the main villain because the movie is called The Winter Soldier. Unless he's the one pulling the Winter Soldiers strings (Which wouldn't make any sense whatsoever) he can't be the main villain ahead of the person who's name is in the title.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #294
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Batroc will probably just be a henchmen with a few cool fighting scenes and minimal lines.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #295
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

Now we have:

Captain America
The Falcon
Black Widow
Bucky/Winter Soldier
Nick Fury
Batroc
Crossbones
Main Villain

There's also Maria Hill, and Jasper Sitwell. Both claim to have larger roles than in the Avengers.

Plus flashbacks with Howard Stark and Peggy Carter.

At this point I think the best hope is that movie runs 2 hours and 30 minutes long.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #296
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well Zola could be the main villain, we don't know yet. So that space could be for Zola or the mastermind. But if there is another mastermind, then that's two more characters right there.

We don't know if Hawkeye is in this yet in any capacity either. Feige did say this movie would be most similar to Avengers in style.

But this is a lot of characters to pack into one movie. I'm just saying, give the movie time to breathe. Now obviously, guys like Crossbones and Batroc are probably going to be minor throwaway characters. But Falcon is a big role. The love interest is a big role. Bucky will be a major antagonist for this one. So you are going to need time to develop all of that. In the first movie it mainly had to establish Steve Rogers and Red Skull. Now the movie has to establish like 5 different things.

- CM Punk
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #297
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Batroc steals Sharon Carter to lure Cap into a fight during one issue according to the Batroc wiki. That seems like an easy fit for the film.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #298
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

I sure hope Zola isn't the main villain.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #299
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
We're arguing two different things here. I don't give a crap how popular the character is.

What I'm talking about is the fact that Crossbones won't be the main villain because the movie is called The Winter Soldier. Unless he's the one pulling the Winter Soldiers strings (Which wouldn't make any sense whatsoever) he can't be the main villain ahead of the person who's name is in the title.
I'm not talking about popularity either, I'm talking about how developed the characters were in the comics. And why wouldn't it make any sense? Crossbones originally worked with the commies in the comics IIRC, just like Winter Soldier.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #300
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I love GSP to death, but his speaking voice is so bad he was dubbed over in the two martial arts B movies he appeared in.

- CM Punk
Closed Thread