The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #451
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

I say that because it seems like the didn't. You say you can't just use the internet as a gauge, but that is a macguffin. You can't gauge the GA so all we have to sue is the internet, and Cap's role in the film is just not considered as memorable as Iron Man or Hulk's.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #452
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think Georges St-Pierre was cast purely because he shares the same first name as Georges Batroc.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #453
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I'm not taking any sides here, but--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
You say you can't just use the internet as a gauge, but that is a macguffin.
What?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #454
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
I say that because it seems like the didn't. You say you can't just use the internet as a gauge, but that is a macguffin. You can't gauge the GA so all we have to sue is the internet, and Cap's role in the film is just not considered as memorable as Iron Man or Hulk's.
Nobody's role is considered quite as memorable as Iron Man or Hulk's. That doesn't mean there's a huge drop off. The reason The Avengers did so well is because everyone was done justice. This has been echoed numerous times by most reviewers and members of the general audience. You don't gross 1.5 billion dollars on two characters.

But like you said you can't gauge the GA so all we have to use is the internet, which is what I'm going off of. In every single "favorite character" poll I've seen Cap has never been lower than 3rd. Always ahead of Thor and Black Widow, on occasion ahead of Hulk, Loki and even Iron Man.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #455
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post

What?
He sounds like he's using Macguffin in the wrong sense.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #456
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
When I say you seemed biased against him, I mean you don't seem to want to acknowledge that people liked Captain America in The Avengers more than you think they did.

Not trying to question your fanhood, but are people who want this to be Cap's main costume actually Captain America fans? This is the equivalent of someone wanting Superman to wear something like Superboy does. Captain America is a symbol. The Agent Rogers uniform and mantle was only used when someone else was already acting as the symbol that is Captain America.
I like Cap, so yes, a fan like me can prefer the Agent Rogers suit over the traditional costume.

It doesn't matter much to me what the circumstances were in the original story. It's a great-looking suit that looks better in a modern sense than the standard Cap garb. Marvel hasn't exactly been sticklers for keeping things 100% comic-accurate (and I love them for it). They could get away with changing the reason he wears the new suit.

I realize it rubs a lot of traditional Cap fans the wrong way to suggest a switch like this. It's just my opinion. I've never been a fan of the flag-centric Cap costume, so it was a breath of fresh air when this came along.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #457
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post

What?
I'm saying that the general audiences' opinion is not clear and cannot be discerned, whereas it's much easier to gauge reaction on the internet.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #458
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Marvel hasn't exactly been sticklers for keeping things 100% comic-accurate (and I love them for it). They could get away with changing the reason he wears the new suit.
Why would they do that though? They wouldn't. They've used the stars and stripes suit for two movies and Joss even made it perfectly clear in The Avengers that they intend to keep him in that suit.

Quote:
I'm saying that the general audiences' opinion is not clear and cannot be discerned, whereas it's much easier to gauge reaction on the internet.
I've been using the internet as a gauge the entire time. I don't know where you got the idea that I'm not.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #459
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Because Cap's role in the film wasn't as beloved as I feel like you make it out to be.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #460
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Why would they do that though? They wouldn't. They've used the stars and stripes suit for two movies and Joss even made it perfectly clear in The Avengers that they intend to keep him in that suit.
They might, and it might be because they want to. It's been done before (see Mark 42 in IM3).

Again--in my opinion--people get too attached to what they consider "iconic" looks. Part of what holds comic books back, I think, is an aversion to change for fear of fan backlash. That's probably a post for another forum, though.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #461
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Because Cap's role in the film wasn't as beloved as I feel like you make it out to be.
Are you serious? It's the complete opposite in fact. He was more "beloved" than you make him out to be. I've never claimed that Captain America was the best received character in the film, all I'm saying is that he was much more well received than you give him credit for:

Quote:
Whenever I listen to podcasts or talk with people I know about the Avengers they always bring up Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, and to a lesser extent Loki, as the headlines of the Avengers, everyone else is an afterthought....
^ Your exact words. I then provided you with examples why you're wrong.

comic book movie .com/fansites/rorschachsrants/polls/?poll=4295&view=results
3rd favorite character behind Hulk and Loki according to voters. Ahead of Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/h68_6bZ/...gers-character
3rd favorite character behind Iron Man and Loki. Ahead of Hulk, Thor and Black Widow. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/gPXqs-y/...e-best-avenger
2nd behind Iron Man. Ahead of Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, and Loki. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChGwFrDxE8
Of all the phase 2 movies announced Cap 2 generated the most applause from the audience.

These examples are not to say that Cap is the audiences favorite character, they are just to say that he is certainly a lot more popular than you give him credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
They might, and it might be because they want to. It's been done before (see Mark 42 in IM3).
Iron Man has always had many different suits. His current one in the comics is black. He had a red and silver one in Iron Man 2. He has over 40 suits in Iron Man 3 for cryin out loud. Iron Man is not a good example.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #462
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Are you serious? It's the complete opposite in fact. He was more "beloved" than you make him out to be. I've never claimed that Captain America was the best received character in the film, all I'm saying is that he was much more well received than you give him credit for:

^ Your exact words. I then provided you with examples why you're wrong.

comic book movie .com/fansites/rorschachsrants/polls/?poll=4295&view=results
3rd favorite character behind Hulk and Loki according to voters. Ahead of Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/h68_6bZ/...gers-character
3rd favorite character behind Iron Man and Loki. Ahead of Hulk, Thor and Black Widow. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/gPXqs-y/...e-best-avenger
2nd behind Iron Man. Ahead of Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, and Loki. Only allowed to vote once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChGwFrDxE8
Of all the phase 2 movies announced Cap 2 generated the most applause from the audience.

These examples are not to say that Cap is the audiences favorite character, they are just to say that he is certainly a lot more popular than you give him credit for.
First of all, Cap 2 got the most applause because it was the property most people recognized. Most comic fans know what and who the the Winter Soldier is, therefore they can relate to the announcement. IM3's title didn't tell us anything about the plot and we already knew about it since it was shooting months before comic-con, Dark World told us nothing about Thor, very few people knew who the Guardians were, no one gave a **** about Ant-Man. It's not indicative of Cap being as popular as you're making him out to be, it's indicative of the Winter Soldier being a popular and well known storyline.

Now, onto the polls you posted. They're nice, but they still don't make me think Cap is one of the higher regarded or memorable characters in the film. Whenever you hear Marvel talk about the standout performers from Avengers, they're Hulk, Iron Man, Loki, and every one else. Marvel knows what was most popular in their films based off of toy sales and questionnaires. I've experienced the same things in general when talking about the Avengers and reading about it. I'm not saying Cap is not popular, he is just not so much so as you're making him out to be.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 03-27-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #463
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
First of all, Cap 2 got the most applause because it was the property most people recognized. Most comic fans know what and who the the Winter Soldier is, therefore they can relate to the announcement. IM3's title didn't tell us anything about the plot and we already knew about it since it was shooting months before comic-con, Dark World told us nothing about Thor, very few people knew who the Guardians were, no one gave a **** about Ant-Man. It's not indicative that Cap is a popular character, it's indicative that the Winter Soldier storyline is popular and well known.
They started cheering loud even before "The Winter Soldier" popped up.

Quote:
Now, onto the polls you posted. They're nice, but they still don't make me think Cap is one of the higher regarded or memorable characters in the film.
That's all I needed to hear lol. I'm done arguing with you.

Quote:
I'm not saying Cap is not popular, he is just not so much so as you're making him out to be.
How can you say this? The only thing I'm making him out to be is a well received character. That's it. You called him a freakin afterthought. You have no more argument.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #464
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
They started cheering loud even before "The Winter Soldier" popped up.
It was leaked before hand that it would be the Winter Soldier bro.

Quote:
That's all I needed to hear lol. I'm done arguing with you.
lol okay. I didn't ask you to.

Quote:
You called him a freakin afterthought. You have no more argument.
Quote me calling him an afterthought please.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #465
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
It was leaked before hand that it would be the Winter Soldier bro.
Why'd they scream even louder when "The Winter Soldier" popped up then? It should have stayed at the same level of loudness if they already knew. Geuss people were just really high on Captain america that day.

Quote:
lol okay. I didn't ask you to.
I didn't say you did.

Quote:
Quote me calling him an afterthought please.
Quote:
Whenever I listen to podcasts or talk with people I know about the Avengers they always bring up Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, and to a lesser extent Loki, as the headlines of the Avengers, everyone else is an afterthought.
Anything else I can provide for you Mister? Polls? Quotes? Videos? I would be glad to.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #466
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

How about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...kAjb9wE#t=193s

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #467
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Why'd they scream even louder when "The Winter Soldier" popped up then? It should have stayed at the same level of loudness if they already knew. Geuss people were just really high on Captain america that day.
You're thinking this way too hard. >.>

Quote:
Anything else I can provide for you Mister? Polls? Quotes? Videos? I would be glad to.
I did not say that in this conversation so you're bringing up something completely irrelevant.

And no, I do not care that much. Cap was not a stand out character in the Avengers. Did some people like his performance? Yes, I never argued that. But he was not one of the highlights. Deal with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #468
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Or this:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=382417

Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #469
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
You're thinking this way too hard. >.>
Actually, I'm just ****ing with you

Quote:
Cap was not a stand out character in the Avengers. Did some people like his performance? Yes, I never argued that. But he was not one of the highlights. Deal with it.
I was waiting to get to this point lol. It always does. "My opinion is right. Deal with it"

One more:
http://yorinarpati.deviantart.com/journal/poll/3038816/

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #470
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I was waiting to get to this point lol. It always does. "My opinion is right. Deal with it"
My opinion? So you're saying he was a highlight?

You can post all the polls you want to it doesn't change what the actual truth of the matter is.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #471
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
My opinion? So you're saying he was a highlight?
I'm not saying he was a highlight and I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm saying you're being irrational, illogical, biased and stubborn, and it's hilarious.

Quote:
You can post all the polls you want to it doesn't change what the actual truth of the matter is.
This is so rich

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #472
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not saying he was a highlight and I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm saying you're being irrational, illogical, biased and stubborn, and it's hilarious.
This is the most cowardly response I've read on this forum. You won't admit what the actuality of the situation is and think you have some one up because you're posting random polls but berate me for calling it how it is? Right.

Quote:
This is so rich
Sure it is.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #473
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
This is the most cowardly response I've read on this forum. You won't admit what the actuality of the situation is and think you have some one up because you're posting random polls but berate me for calling it how it is? Right.
The actuality of the situation? Calling it how it is? Really? I thought the only way to gauge was the internet lol. That's what I'm doing. I'm getting my info straight from the only worldwide source there is. Where are you getting yours from? Your own perception. Look that word up in the dictionary because you're confusing the words reality and actuality with that one.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #474
Frico
Without Fear

So how bout that Batroc.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #475
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

So how bout that Batroc.
Batroc isn't as popular as you are claiming he is!!!!!!!!!!!

http://myth-smith.com/
Closed Thread