The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
This conversation is so reminiscent to the months leading up to TDKR, it's scary. lol
I know. Ain't it great

Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post

I never understood the run and hide approach. Shows weakness. Flaunt it if you got it.
As someone who has worked in marketing dept's and firms, i can tell you that this is a terrible idea. The last thing u want to do is turn this into some d***-measuring contest. IM3's marketing blitz is about to start and u don't really want to go toe to toe with RDJ and the post avengers hype train right about now. Let it slow down a little.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #28
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
As someone who has worked in marketing dept's and firms, i can tell you that this is a terrible idea. The last thing u want to do is turn this into some d***-measuring contest. IM3's marketing blitz is about to start and u don't really want to go toe to toe with RDJ and the post avengers hype train right about now. Let it slow down a little.
True, but if everything we've heard about the film's scope, performance of Shannon and action (robot armies, space ships, tons of action, Supes kicking all kinds of ass) is true then MOS should have no problem winning the ´´WOW`` factor. People have seen Iron Man do his thing in 3 movies already. MOS will have something they've never seen before and could easily steal the thunder if they show a glimpse of that. Of course, it may all be just smoke and mirrors and the reality not quite as ´´grand``.

But it's only the beginning of March. Perhaps things will pick up a bit in a few weeks.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I just wanted to come back and make one more clarification before I leave to go do something else:

I don't think I'm entitled (or that the fans are entitled) to get anything per se. My argument has had nothing to do with that. All I've been doing is a simple comparison between MOS and the marketing strategies of other films in close proximity to it. In addition, I've observed that fan enthusiasm translates to good word of mouth. Lastly, I've noted that much of the viral and social networking stuff that these films do (like TASM2) costs next to nothing, and has a broad impact. These are my main points. Agree or disagree, I don't care, just don't misinterpret them.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #30
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

You can't steal Iron Man 3's thunder. Not in a post Avengers movie world. Even trying to do so would cost millions of dollars and STILL not work.

If WB didn't try to steal The Avengers' thunder with TDKR marketing why in the world would they try to do that with Man of Steel?

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem then is that they waited.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #32
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
That could easily work if only..It wouldn't slow down on May 3..and that's way off..

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The fact is the first trailer was moody and showed virtually no action and SR's first trailer was moody and showed virtually no action.

Answer me this, so far what is setting this film apart from SR (a movie with a mixed reaction) to the general public right now? Why should the general public get excited for another moody film when they don't even know who the villian is? Remember we have not properly introduced to the villian yet, a quick glance doesn't count.

And what is up with the waiting until IM3 finishes it's marketing campaign?

With that logic they can never start a marketing campaign because Star Trek 2, Fast 6 and Hangover 3 come out as well and the week before MOS a Will Smith movie comes out. Do they start marketing the 9th of June or something?

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 03-05-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #34
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
This conversation is so reminiscent to the months leading up to TDKR, it's scary. lol
It might be, but TDKR had a billion dollar gorilla named TDK standing in its corner to help overcome any shortfalls in WB's marketing campaign.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
So you're saying MOS will make a billion and be a fantastic movie?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #36
Wontkins
Banned User

I really hope they don't muck this up. Its about time Superman got another good film.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
True, but if everything we've heard about the film's scope, performance of Shannon and action (robot armies, space ships, tons of action, Supes kicking all kinds of ass) is true then MOS should have no problem winning the ´´WOW`` factor. People have seen Iron Man do his thing in 3 movies already. MOS will have something they've never seen before and could easily steal the thunder if they show a glimpse of that. Of course, it may all be just smoke and mirrors and the reality not quite as ´´grand``.

But it's only the beginning of March. Perhaps things will pick up a bit in a few weeks.
I have no doubt about MOS's scope. No one has ever questioned Snyders ability when it comes to big time action. What i'm saying is why go up against another beast in IM3 and settle for a piece of the popularity pie, instead of letting it die down and having the majority to yourself?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
The fact is the first trailer was moody and showed virtually no action and SR's first trailer was moody and showed virtually no action.

Answer me this, so far what is setting this film apart from SR (a movie with a mixed reaction) to the general public right now? Why should the general public get excited for another moody film when they don't even know who the villian is? Remember we have not properly introduced to the villian yet, a quick glance doesn't count.

With that logic they can never start a marketing campaign because Star Trek 2, Fast 6 and Hangover 3 come out a
s well and the week before MOS a Will Smith movie comes out.
The theatrical trailer was VERY well received and is currently playing in theaters. It wasn't meant to show action, it was meant to show that this is a reboot/origin story. Money well spent.

Those aren't superhero movies. Iron Man 3 is. There is no reason to compete with the marketing of the biggest established superhero franchise coming out this year when your movie doesn't come out until the next month. We see this every year. It isn't a new strategy. And it works.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #39
fake
Side-Kick

Saw this on a different film forum - it has nothing to do with the movie, but got a chuckle out of me. Sorry if this does not belong here.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #40
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
The theatrical trailer was VERY well received and is currently playing in theaters. It wasn't meant to show action, it was meant to show that this is a reboot/origin story. Money well spent.

Those aren't superhero movies. Iron Man 3 is. There is no reason to compete with the marketing of the biggest established superhero franchise coming out this year when your movie doesn't come out until the next month. We see this every year. It isn't a new strategy. And it works.
Batman Begins, the prequel to Batman '89.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
J.Howlett

Quote:

With that logic they can never start a marketing campaign because Star Trek 2, Fast 6 and Hangover 3 come out as well and the week before MOS a Will Smith movie comes out. Do they start marketing the 9th of June or something?
The reason is release date and the fact that Iron Man 3 is the first superhero film out of the gate this year. Man of Steel is second. They are via for the same audience. Let Iron Man 3 blow over and then hit us with Man of Steel marketing until June.

Not to mention the fact that the world was put on notice about Man of Steel when the teaser debuted in front of TDKR last July.

People know.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #42
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:

It didn't work with Batman Begins and Superman Returns and Green Lantern.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #43
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Saw this on a different film forum - it has nothing to do with the movie, but got a chuckle out of me. Sorry if this does not belong here.

I saw this on Superman Homepage...it's friggin great!

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #44
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Batman Begins, the prequel to Batman '89.
If Man of Steel makes Batman Begins' box office money and leads to a billion dollar trilogy WB will be very happy

Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
It didn't work with Batman Begins and Superman Returns and Green Lantern.
Batman Begins made $374,218,673 off a $150 budget and lead to a billion dollar franchise. Not because of how it was marketed but because it was a good, well received movie.

Superman Returns and Green Lantern were critical failures and poorly received. That's why they failed. Not bad marketing.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #46
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
If Man of Steel makes Batman Begins' box office money and leads to a billion dollar trilogy WB will be very happy
Not as happy if they had a 3 billion dollar series.

Quote:
Batman Begins made $374,218,673 off a $150 budget and lead to a billion dollar franchise. Not because of how it was marketed but because it was a good, well received movie.

Superman Returns and Green Lantern were critical failures and poorly received. That's why they failed. Not bad marketing.
What?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #47
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Okay I'll guess we are going to have to agree to disagree fellas.

All I can say is I hope we get something before June 14 because MOS apparently has to wait until every film finishes it's marketing campaign. Maybe it can be as big a hit as Jack the Giant Slayer is!

That lie about SR being a critical failure really gets under my skin...

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:

Dude, Superman Returns sitting at 76% on RT just reinforces that it was a critical failure.

See, critical successful Superman movie: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_the_movie/

Also, Returns only made $200 mil domestically off a $250+ million budget. That is a failure. Especially with WB's $300 dom/$600 ww mil projection

Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #49
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Dude, Superman Returns sitting at 76% on RT just reinforces that it was a critical failure.

See, critical successful Superman movie: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_the_movie/
SR Reviews counted: 256

STM Reviews counted: 56

Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #50
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

Also, Returns only made $200 mil domestically off a $250+ million budget. That is a failure. Especially with WB's $300 dom/$600 ww mil projection
Well if you focus on the top critics for each of those films. They are comparable, with SR coming out on top.

I wouldn't call it a failure but a disappointment, financially speaking.

Closed Thread