The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #101
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hahahahahahaha

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #102
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's cute that there are still people holding out for a trailer or posters in April. If something is released in April, fine but I'm not expecting another trailer until Iron Man 2 weekend which is May something or other.

It's going to be a long two months. Again maybe WB's plan will work this one time. Never say never.
Why would WB release the second trailer in May? That makes no sense (doesn't follow the pattern). WB could just attach the final trailer (with a few additional scenes) to IM3 any way. They did it for TDKR after all.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #103
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Man, and here I thought Marvel fans liked hyperbole

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #104
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Why would WB release the second trailer in May? That makes no sense (doesn't follow the pattern). WB could just attach the final trailer (with a few additional scenes) to IM3 any way. They did it for TDKR after all.
Why not release IM3 weekend? Why would that be unthinkable?

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #105
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Man, and here I thought Marvel fans liked hyperbole
superbole?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #106
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

For those unaware of how official marketing works for these films, here is what to expect in order of appearance:

1) "First look" still

2) Magazine spread

3) Teaser

4) Trailer/Poster

5) Magazine spread #2

6) Stills/production photos

7) Character posters

8) Magazine spread #3

9) Final trailer

10) TV spots

11) Hi-Res image gallery

12) Final poster(s)

13) Clips

14) Reviews

Most follow this formula, a few don't. But this is the standard guideline people can use as a reference.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #107
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Why not release IM3 weekend? Why would that be unthinkable?
It's not but judging Inception's, TDK's, and TDKR's timelines, the final trailer has always been released two months prior. It's why fans are expecting a trailer in April without confirmation. My guess is the final trailer to MOS will be attached to IM3, but it won't debut in May.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #108
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm engaging in no more Hyperbole than the fanboys who think films need only two or three weeks of marketing to be successful.

Seriously people like Poni have been peddling that "posters will be out soon!" stuff for months now, why should I believe it now? If the posters come out soon fine but I'm a fool me once kind of gal and I'm not going to apologize for that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #109
Marvin
Side-Kick

Looks like Ironman 3 is opting for yet another night time cgi finale...
Avengers/Transformers/Avatar taught them nothing.

Here's hoping the majority of set pieces(namely the finale) in MOS are in day light.
And not overcast ala Returns.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #110
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I'm not sure your point.

I was just saying that if we are taking reviews into consideration for the film NOW, we should take in those reviews that were current -- not written through rose-colored glasses.
You said that the "the top critics are important to examine because they were most likely reviewing it in 1978...". Well, I don't recall exactly who wrote the reviews however I can tell you that I remember reading these reviews and not one of them were negative in '78 to 80s. In that time period, none of us bothered with film reviews. It was mostly word of mouth and the lines at the box office that gave us a rough idea. One thing for sure, the box office buzz for Superman TM was off the chart - much more than Superman Returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
That's not altogether true. Critic's reviews were always published in the papers and they were on local television reviewing movies. What you didn't get a lot of was the teaser trailers, unless they were on TV or watching a movie.
The critics' review were plentiful, but these weren't widely familiar to us. Then, it was a completely different box office environment compared with now. IIRC, the concept of modern mass media only took off in a big way in 1980s.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #111
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
I'm engaging in no more Hyperbole than the fanboys who think films need only two or three weeks of marketing to be successful.

Seriously people like Poni have been peddling that "posters will be out soon!" stuff for months now, why should I believe it now? If the posters come out soon fine but I'm a fool me once kind of gal and I'm not going to apologize for that.
yeah I find it hard to believe people who keep saying the same crap over the course of 3 months or longer...."posters are coming soon!" and then the posters never come. Shut up and sit down or friggin deliver. I'm tired of hearing the same crap over and over again with no payoff....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #112
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:

You're missing the point that the movie IS being marketed as we speak. And has been for months. Why do people forget the trailer is playing in theaters, we had a magazine spread last month and there is a poster at almost every theater in the US?

This is the first time I've said anything about it. And I'm only saying it because it follows WB's strategy.

Maybe if you curb your enthusiasm a little bit you won't get so pissed/disappointed so easily? I don't know, that's your business. But claiming the movie isn't being marketed is factually incorrect. You just want more.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #113
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Here's hoping the majority of set pieces(namely the finale) in MOS are in day light.
I don't know...there's just something I love about seeing Superman at night. That was one thing that disappointed me about the Superman Returns video game...the lack of day to night transitioning.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #114
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm fine with night time stuff for big effects/action set pieces. Looks way better than seeing Batman (of all people) fight in daylight all the time. That was awkward.

Then again, due to Superman's skill set having him fight at night would diminish the "wow" factor

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #115
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
You're missing the point that the movie IS being marketed as we speak. And has been for months. Why do people forget the trailer is playing in theaters, we had a magazine spread last month and there is a poster at almost every theater in the US?

This is the first time I've said anything about it. And I'm only saying it because it follows WB's strategy.

Maybe if you curb your enthusiasm a little bit you won't get so pissed/disappointed so easily? I don't know, that's your business. But claiming the movie isn't being marketed is factually incorrect. You just want more.
people want new photos to be released online so we can help with the mass marketing because tons of people have Facebook and Twitter. People are tired of sharing the same posters and photos over and over and over again. WE want new things to share. Yes we realize the trailer is currently showing in theaters and there are posters up in theaters as well...we aren't stupid. WE are talking about online marketing basically...or at least that's what I'm getting out of the conversation here. Release photos of Lois, Perry, Zod, Faora, Ma and Pa Kent, Clark....I don't care what you tell me but a photo of Clark Kent with his glasses on is NOT that secretive to where it would ruin a movie.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #116
GreenKToo
In the fire

im looking forward to the smallville fight scene with the train being thrown. that should be awesome.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #117
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I once saw that photo of a train through the front of the store. You also have that big battle at the train station.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #118
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
I'm fine with night time stuff for big effects/action set pieces. Looks way better than seeing Batman (of all people) fight in daylight all the time. That was awkward.

Then again, due to Superman's skill set having him fight at night would diminish the "wow" factor
are you SURE about that??? Think about seeing Superman blast the snot out of Zod with his heat vision at night...it would look a lot better at night than during the day. Heat vision being used during the day wouldn't look nearly as cool as it would during the night...and think about seeing his eyes glow red in the night while in shadows.....stuff like that would look AWESOME and you can't exactly get the same feel if Superman is in the shadows during the day with his eyes glowing...that doesn't impress me much

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #119
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:

So we disagree on how well the marketing is going. Yes I know that, what else is new? Your "opinion" isn't. factual at all but to be fair everyone thinks their opinion is factual. I don't hold human nature against you.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #120
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
You said that the "the top critics are important to examine because they were most likely reviewing it in 1978...". Well, I don't recall exactly who wrote the reviews however I can tell you that I remember reading these reviews and not one of them were negative in '78 to 80s. In that time period, none of us bothered with film reviews. It was mostly word of mouth and the lines at the box office that gave us a rough idea. One thing for sure, the box office buzz for Superman TM was off the chart - much more than Superman Returns.
Still not sure your point. I'm not saying the reviews were important then. However, what they do offer to us today is the immediate reaction to the film within the proper historical and cultural context.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #121
mohoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I may not be a expert when it comes to Marketing, but I don't think it'd be a good idea for any film company to start dishing out their promotion campaign only a month before the film's release.
I'm no expert either, but I think the last month is more than enough, it's when people feel very close to the film and buying its tickets.

Adding more posters or clips a few months before can be exciting for the fans (who will see it anyway), but for someone who doesn't follow these things, it'll be forgotten shortly and lost among other interests.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #122
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
I'm no expert either, but I think the last month is more than enough, it's when people feel very close to the film and buying its tickets.

Adding more posters or clips a few months before can be exciting for the fans (who will see it anyway), but for someone who doesn't follow these things, it'll be forgotten shortly and lost among other interests.
not when you have people like me constantly posting things on Facebook and Twitter....

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #123
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding!

Disney and WB are smart enough to know that competition isn't necessary when there's space for both Marvel and DC in the same summer. Why would WB and Disney go toe to toe?

Does Boxing do it against the UFC? Nope. They both try to steer clear of each other to benefit from the maximum. Why have a piece of the pie when you can potentially take majority of it?

Neither Disney and WB want to go head to head.
As a fan of both, I have spent more then one Sat. night watching both.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #124
mohoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
not when you have people like me constantly posting things on Facebook and Twitter....
And they'll be more excited when you post about the film when it's opening in a couple of weeks, not months away

It's good that people know about MoS and get excited, but it's much more important to get them excited in the right time.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #125
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Exactly what I said. There's no sense wrecking my brain over trivial matters. All of the marketing details consisting of all the things many seem to think are lacking now will be seen well before the movie is released. People will know about it and most will know it's different than previous iterations. Do you honestly believe that the marketing campaign will not display this?
Batman Begins didn't display this well enough to stop the annoying "its a prequel to the original Batman" stuff.