The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #451
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
So what?

This isn't a Star Trek sequel. It doesn't matter if he spent two years on it or not, but obviously Star Trek 2 was in some level of pre-production before Abrams came on.

Star Trek was originally supposed to come out in winter 2008 before it got pushed back to Summer 2009.

Once again, Disney will never release the newest Star Wars movie in winter just like they won't release an Avengers movie in the winter either.
Ya...it will come out in summer 2015. And since your reasoning for not putting out a Star Wars film in winter is....because....well I don't find that as a compelling argument. However I don't think it will be winter now, it seems like they will be doing this in summer. And Episode VII has probably been in heavy pre-production mode as well. This one is not JJ's baby as much as Star Trek was. In the fact that Kathy has the wheels turning and they have since last summer.

Disney has now said summer 2015, you can dispute it for sure, but with this piece of info it seems this is the case. ESB and ROTJ were made from script to final in about 3 years. And since they've been working on the story/ideas of this since summer 2012 I'd say it seems very reasonable.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #452
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Hey, as long as they come up with stuff i enjoy, i'm all for a SW movie out each year

__________________
ďThere is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.Ē Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #453
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,523
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

The things is this:

Disney, especially Bob Iger has been cheerleading a 2015 release from the very start. I'm talking about in press releases, intereviews, cons, and the shareholders are listening. I'm talking about aggressively pushing for it, and this CinemaCon is just one of the many thus far.

They can't back down unless they want to lose some $$$ on Wall Street. Why announce this sort of news at CinemaCon. After 6 months of pushing for 2015, it's probably gonna happen. It's 4 billion dollars of investing. It ain't Star Trek where it stayed at the same studio but has been misused for years. This is the anomoly known as 'Star Wars'.

Also, Bob Iger is retiring in 2015, so I really really think he wants to see this come together so Episode 7 gets released during his last year as President of the House of Mouse. Call it vanity, call it whatever. But in his eyes, it's a landmark thing and he wants it to happen during his term still.

Playing Devil's Avocate: I can see JJ making the Summer 2015 release, but I can see Disney slacking off on the 'every year gets a Star Wars release'. Especially with the spinoffs.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #454
Drizzle
Assemble Again
 
Drizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 10,462
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'm not. People tried to say the same with The Hobbit. JJ made STID in under 2 years. And this has been in pre-production and planning since really this summer. Ardnt had a 40 page treatment by the time they announced the deal.

Nah, it will be Summer 2015. Or winter 2015 at the latest.
Production delays are not unheard of. Star Trek Into Darkness was originally supposed to come out summer 2012, and I'm not sure, but I think the first Hobbit film was originally supposed to come out Christmas 2011. Star Trek had production delays that forced it to be pushed back. Either way, they have two years to complete Episode VII, which should be plenty of time. I would imagine they'll start filming early next year.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Drizzle is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #455
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,975
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
If there's one thing for sure, even if each Star Wars film is a masterpiece, they won't feel as special because of the excessiveness. Keep in mind that I'm looking foward to Avengers 2 but because Marvel's aggressiveness to stay in the public's lexicon, it's hard to feel the anticipation because..i take it for granted.
A Star Wars film every year is just too much, it's no longer an event if a new film comes out yearly. I think it's a bad move.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #456
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,523
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

OMG, that Patton Oswalt video is AWESOME! SERIOUSLY, it's as if Patton is a member of this very board.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #457
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
A Star Wars film every year is just too much, it's no longer an event if a new film comes out yearly. I think it's a bad move.
Eh I don't think that will hurt it too much, if they do that for too long. Yes it will.

The films coming out every 3 years last time didn't work out so well so lol. I don't think it will hurt it. And as Octoberist said I think they are being aggressive in their assumption of that. I think they may do a few, but it's not going to be some "every year" thing for a long period of time.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #458
Doc Ock
1951-2014
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Darn this Hype place! People post at a million miles per hour I can never catch up! What intruiging news! As a Star Wars fan having one movie a year could be really exciting! As long as Disney can keep up the quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
OMG, that Patton Oswalt video is AWESOME! SERIOUSLY, it's as if Patton is a member of this very board.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I love that! Adding the Marvel stuff in them was so nerdily awesome!

__________________
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10
Doc Ock is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #459
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,864
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

That Patton Oswalt video is hilarious. I especially loved what he said about Han dropping Chewie's severed head on the floor in front of some padawans.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #460
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 20,975
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Eh I don't think that will hurt it too much, if they do that for too long. Yes it will.

The films coming out every 3 years last time didn't work out so well so lol. I don't think it will hurt it. And as Octoberist said I think they are being aggressive in their assumption of that. I think they may do a few, but it's not going to be some ''every year'' thing for a long period of time.
I just can't help but think that this line of thinking could hurt in the long run. I think Disney are trying to overcompensate for all those lost years of not having the 18-30 male demographic to draw from. It's probably about legacy for Iger, he probably wants to be known as the guy who revived Star Wars.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #461
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 18,684
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

I think the general public might get burnt out with Star Wars having a new movie every summer especially if some of them are prequels or a spin-off.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | THE CAMEO | PORTRAYED BY STAN LEE
"I'm Stan Lee" - FF2
"Can I have my shoe back?" - T2
"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #462
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I think the general public might get burnt out with Star Wars having a new movie every summer especially if some of them are prequels or a spin-off.
They have not burnt out on Comic book films yet, and those have been going strong for almost 14 years. I doubt this will either if the quality stays up. And the Spin-off's are taking place in the OT/post OT time it seems anyways. The universe of Star Wars is one of the biggest, there is lots that can be done in that sandbox.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #463
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,025
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

The general public isn't read comic books, only the fans are.

samsnee is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #464
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
The general public isn't read comic books, only the fans are.
What?

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #465
LuisTX85
SeŮor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,355
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

A whole lot of Star Wars is coming!?,I'm very mixed about it cause even though I love me some new Star Wars products and have wanted more SW films before&after the prequel trilogy..There's not much evidence that Disney will be providing quality But it's obvious they want to milk the Star Wars brand.

I don't mind milking as long as it has top quality!

__________________
Z..The Mark of Zorro!
LuisTX85 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #466
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,703
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

I think bi-annual is a better idea than annual. While it did not harm to things like LOTR to have an installment to look forward to every Christmas, its tri-part status gave it an episodic feeling with an ending in sight.

I predict burn-out after five years. I know film critics aren't much respected, but I do think they have a degree of influence, and I can sense their impatience with annually recurring Star Wars movies. Once the bad press starts, the rot tends to set in.

Then there will be a reboot.

*sigh*

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is online now  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #467
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 3,738
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

I don't think Disney is stupid enough to do a reboot. If the decay sets in after the trilogy and a few spin-offs, I think the consensus would only go down hill from here if they decided to reboot/remake. We SW fans already come off as an extremely fickle bunch, so I imagine it'd only get worse. I mean really, you're looking at another 40 years before most of the those currently most attached to the OT are gone from this Earth, and that counts for a lot of vocal mouths and a lot of unsold tickets in the long run.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Not the Hype's only Juggalo, but probably one of the few to be pretty vocal about it. Doesn't mean I don't like some of the same stuff you do though, so deal with it.
TheDreamMaster is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #468
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,025
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

I agree. Stick to releasing them every two years. People are just going to get sick of them if they really aren't that different from each other.

samsnee is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #469
Sentinel X
optical illusion
 
Sentinel X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Like you care?
Posts: 10,352
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Can you say milking the cow? ...I love Star Wars as much as the next guy and I know Disney must have given an arm and a leg to buy it from Lucas but a movie EVERY year (including spin offs)? It might be overexposure.

__________________
..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #470
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
A whole lot of Star Wars is coming!?,I'm very mixed about it cause even though I love me some new Star Wars products and have wanted more SW films before&after the prequel trilogy..There's not much evidence that Disney will be providing quality But it's obvious they want to milk the Star Wars brand.

I don't mind milking as long as it has top quality!
Uhhh yea there is lol. Having Kathy behind the whole thing is one piece of evidence. At least for Episode VII is any indication JJ/Arndt is showman ship that they have some of the best film makers/writers behind this film. So....no this has shown nothing but they plan to do much more then what the PT did.

So this shows me yes they are trying to get their money out of Star Wars for sure, but they are putting some of the brightest minds behind it, not just grabbing Ratner types to quickly shove products out. Also I see the Star Wars universe as so big, and really a mythology and that will help with multiple things.

First, the spin-off's can be very different, just because they are set in the same world does not mean they will be exactly the same, you can change tone/even genre to a point due to the vastness of this mythology/universe that is created. With many other franchises, I'd agree this would be over kill, but with Star Wars not as much. I doubt they will do reboots ever that's just a knee jerk reaction by many, due to the fact that again Star Wars is a massive "universe/mythology" it does not need name recognition like "Spider-man/Superman ect" It does not revolve around one character or name. You can go anywhere int his galaxy and have the same fundamentals, the Force, Jedi/Sith spaceship, heroes villains and adventure. You don't need certain characters if they start getting worried/stale (which I doubt they will anyways).

So I guess I see Star Wars as a franchise like no other. It's not like CBM's where they revolve around certain characters and not really a universe more so. The EU through video games and some of the books have shown this can be done. Star Wars can transcend tones/styles/genre's very easily (not with the main episodes for sure) for the Spin-off's ect. To give people something different.

Yes it is easy to just make the typical "milking the cow" responses with big companies, and there is merit behind that. However, the people behind this...are some of the best. Kathy is not a stupid lady, she is one of the best, the people she has hired are some of the best, bringing back Kasdan to do possible spin-off's is just great. There has not been a single hire yet that I've been upset with. That and Alan Horn (who made this announcement) was the true reason that WB ruled the world for the past decade, and was close with Nolan, Harry Potter ect. When they got rid of him you could see WB's quality fall and they seem to be in a limbo. With Horn behind this it excites me more because they man is another intelligent man in the business, and I've always respected him since he really turned around WB a decade ago.

CBM's have stayed in critics/GA's eyes with a positive light for over a decade, that may soon start to fade who knows, but it shows that every year it really is not hurting much. You can say that well they are different superheroes...but it's all pretty mjuch the same genre and style. So I think Star Wars is much more massive then that in it's possibilities. However I do agree after this first trilogy they should re-think some things even if the quality is high, and find areas to take breaks. And I'm sure they will.

Now I agree if this is done for a long term, it could back fire on them, especially if quality slips. But with the money behind them, the talent already announced, at least for this first trilogy/two spin-off's I don't think I'm really worried because quality seems to be heavily behind it. And you know at least for the first 6-8 years it will attract the top talent in Hollywood because everyone has wanted to play in the Star Wars sandbox. It's a lot of peoples holy grail.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 04-18-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #471
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I agree. Stick to releasing them every two years. People are just going to get sick of them if they really aren't that different from each other.
People still are not that sick of comic book films and you never answered my question above.... because the GA is not tired of it (yet) it's been going 14 year strong...you can tell by the Box Office.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #472
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,703
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Nevertheless, I think the old maxim that you can have too much of a good thing holds true. The franchise does subsist on some specific iconography- flashing plasma bolts, buzzing lighsabers, and space travel. Most people will inevitably find the movies samey if they are continuously exposed to them. Your argument that the Star Wars universe is infinite is only really of benefit if a director chose to make a movie that deliberately chose to eschew all of Star Wars' trappings. That would, in turn, make the license pointless.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is online now  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #473
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,786
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Nevertheless, I think the old maxim that you can have too much of a good thing holds true. The franchise does subsist on some specific iconography- flashing plasma bolts, buzzing lighsabers, and space travel. Most people will inevitably find the movies samey if they are continuously exposed to them. Your argument that the Star Wars universe is infinite is only really of benefit if a director chose to make a movie that deliberately chose to eschew all of Star Wars' trappings. That would, in turn, make the license pointless.
Yes, I do agree. But again we are just talking the next 6 years so far. I do think if they do this for a long-term it will have consequences. The franchise does have those core aspects, but like CBM (which may start to falter someday) but they have become really a genre onto themselves, which I think Star Wars could do as well, since the experience is unlike any other films that have tried (or not tried) to do the same thing. So I think within the "genre" of Star Wars you can keep some of the core things but really change enough to give it quite a different feel/tone and in a sense genre in itself.

So I agree/disagree. I think as long as the quality holds up, they have the possibility of like CBM's (hopefully the quality is a tad more than a lot of them) at least make it some what of a genre onto itself, and create enough uniqueness not to make it stale (at least for a while) of course anything gets old after a long period of time.

But people always turn and scream the same "oh no Hollywood is doing it again" I do agree they make many mistakes, but there has been many instances where they have done many things right. I will give credit to Kathy/Horn and pretty much say they are smart they probably have thought of all these things as well. Because like you said if it gets too much it can hurt the long-term effect.

But for now I am all for this first batch, if after the trilogy they go crazy I will agree that they need to reign it back some.

But for me I've been waiting for a Star Wars sequel since I first saw them in 89.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #474
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,211
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Their slate is too full for me to believe Episode VII will be out for summer 2015.

The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Pixar's Inside Out - June 19, 2015
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - July 10, 2015

That's a full summer lineup right there. Unless you put it on Memorial Day weekend. But that takes away from Avengers' grosses/attention.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #475
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Check this out guys

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
ďThere is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.Ē Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.