Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Dammit Sawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Near the end of the last thread, I commented that after reading the Bloomberg article, I felt better about the franchise.

Umm, can I take that back...?

With the cancellation of Clone Wars, it feels like Spectacular Spider-Man all over.

And I don't know why Disney wants to turn its back on the younger generation that grew up on the prequels. Yes, I prefer the originals, but the prequels were entertaining.

So, I guess Ewan should not wait by the phone waiting for an Obi-Wan spinoff.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Clone Wars had a good long run. Longer than any of us expected (if we're being honest). I'm sure Disney will provide plenty of new animated programming but the prequels are done with.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Clone Wars had a good long run. Longer than any of us expected (if we're being honest). I'm sure Disney will provide plenty of new animated programming but the prequels are done with.

An end of an era, I'm just upset we didn't find out what happened with Rex, and we still had Maul, Ventress, Ashoka.

...and hopefully they cancel that Detours...although it looks like something they would put on DXD.

I don't know what I'll do if they bring on Detours while they cancelled Clone Wars.

Thank you for your vote, Hellion. (now I'd vote for you! :) )
Hellion...Sagittarius...half man, half horse.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Just like they supplied us with Ultimate Spider-Man when Spectacular Spider-Man "finished."

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I'm not a prequel hater at all but I always found that they were missing a giant opportunity to expand on those 20 or so years between trilogies. Seemed silly to me from the start to expand on The Clone Wars and start adding all these characters. But it seems people enjoyed it so more power to them.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
I'm not a prequel hater at all but I always found that they were missing a giant opportunity to expand on those 20 or so years between trilogies. Seemed silly to me from the start to expand on The Clone Wars and start adding all these characters. But it seems people enjoyed it so more power to them.
The Clone Wars crew did an excellent job of fleshing out the Clone Wars (and really see Anakin's steps towards Vader), that I had hoped they would continue the series after Order 66 with a series called something like Star Wars: The Dark Times and show the new Empire, and Anakin coming to grips with what he had become and helping the Empire hunt down Jedi.

They said they are doing a new show in a time era not seen in films or TV. I would assume this may be the years between Jedi and Episode VII, which, judging by the original cast members coming back, would be a good 20 to 30 year gap.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Near the end of the last thread, I commented that after reading the Bloomberg article, I felt better about the franchise.

Umm, can I take that back...?

With the cancellation of Clone Wars, it feels like Spectacular Spider-Man all over.

And I don't know why Disney wants to turn its back on the younger generation that grew up on the prequels. Yes, I prefer the originals, but the prequels were entertaining.

I don't think this is just a Disney thing. Sorry to say and I know some want to scream :"No...." to this. I wanted to edit this to put it better. I think the extremes "love/hate" of the PT is more so a minority. I think most are just indifferent to it. And that's what seems to be the case. This was the decade of CBM's. Star Wars did not make a massive cultural impact as things like Spidey/Avengers/X-Men/Batman ect, it has been so ingrained in our culture lately. I'm ready for a change, but that is what was the OT of this time was many CBM's. I do have to clear that up because the way I said it at first was not the best way to put it.

Disney's plan seems to be re-branding Star Wars all together. It was done before to a point before the PT. From a marketing standpoint it is smart to do. Kinda rebrand everything and get the old image out and start with the new. It's just what is going to happen. They canceled TCW, the 3D AOTC/ROTS which were completed. ect. They have a plan. And we will see it start to unfold. Marvel did a great plan and I'm sure Lucasfilm has a long long term plan more then we could possibly know.

It does suck about TCW, but maybe as you said we will get something for in between Jedi and Episode VII, and I agree with Darth I wish they would have done more with between Episode III-IV rather then the Clone Wars (but I'm still thankful for TCW). I would have loved to see that era.

So it seems to be more of them re-branding the franchise. Which I'm all for in the end.

Last edited by Solidus; 03-12-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Like seriously, Disney?

TCW was the best Star Wars since the OT, and now you're just going to push it into the corner like an ugly step child...

At least 'finish' it off.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Quote:

I think they should animate the live-action series, I know they were still working on scripts the last time--I think any news was released. I think the series was to be set during this period.

But with the ST (I guess we can do that "sequel trilogy" or SS for sequel series?) any future TV will be based in the new era.

Thank you for your vote, Hellion. (now I'd vote for you! :) )
Hellion...Sagittarius...half man, half horse.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I don't think this is just a Disney thing. Sorry to say and I know some want to scream :"No...." to this. Prequel fans are a very small minority and mainly dwell on the internet. Some may try to disagree with that, but it's clear Disney is doing this and they spend lots of money on marketing research to see what people like/dislike, and I bet they found out this which I could of told em for free . Even I was young (around 14) when Episode I came out. And I don't like em. I think it comes down to the fact that many felt it was Star Wars in superficiality only. I knew this would happen.
OK, you're skewing a little older than what I was thinking, although you are similar to me as I was 12 when the original came out. I think there are those that were around 10 or younger for Episode I that enjoy them. Now maybe as they got older, they came to like the originals better, but the are quite a few that do like the prequel eras and Clone Wars. While my son (age 12) does agree with me that Empire is the best one, he is heavily in the Clone War era.

And for being so "bad" and "bombing" the prequels did make a hell of a lot of money.

Quote:
These guys spend millions on marketing information like that, and research.
I know what you're saying, but this phrase always sends shivers down my spine, and that's not how films should be made.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #37
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
OK, you're skewing a little older than what I was thinking, although you are similar to me as I was 12 when the original came out. I think there are those that were around 10 or younger for Episode I that enjoy them. Now maybe as they got older, they came to like the originals better, but the are quite a few that do like the prequel eras and Clone Wars. While my son (age 12) does agree with me that Empire is the best one, he is heavily in the Clone War era.

And for being so "bad" and "bombing" the prequels did make a hell of a lot of money.

I know what you're saying, but this phrase always sends shivers down my spine, and that's not how films should be made.
So did Transformers, and Pirates 3. Money does not always equate quality. In terms of ticket sales individually none of the PT did as well at the OT did. Inflation has changed a lot but ya.

That sends shivers down your spine? Hell all the PT was a commercial money grab too all of them now pretty much are, Lucas was a great business man and focused a lot on that...a lot. I remember they changed Jar Jar more so originally he was going to be the center of all three, but after the reaction he took him out pretty much. Sometimes market research can be important. So I don't think it should worry you. Look at who they picked. JJ. Look at the writer ect. Branding and film making are two different things to a point. And right now they are changing the branding. It's not a guess, it's just clear from the steps they've taken thus far. You can still make a big franchise but focus on the film quality, Marvel/Nolan have done that pretty well.

Every big franchise/movie studio does market research. It is important. But I think more so for this it was just common sense as well, I mean all of the creators/people involved, have all been saying we want to make it closer to the OT. And that is never a bad thing.

Last edited by Solidus; 03-12-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
I think they should animate the live-action series, I know they were still working on scripts the last time--I think any news was released. I think the series was to be set during this period.

But with the ST (I guess we can do that "sequel trilogy" or SS for sequel series?) any future TV will be based in the new era.
I would love to see them team up with HBO and make a awesome live action series. Even if it was between Jedi and Episode VII I'm down for it.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
titansupes
Side-Kick

I had just turned 10 when The Phantom Menace came out.

Other than watching the duel 800 times, I knew it was crap even then. There's no doubt the PT had some good in them, but overall - and in spite of the quality of the TCW series - it's best of they re-mold the brand to the OT (And, hopefully if the Abrams movie is what we hope it to be) the ST.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #40
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dont say that! To quote Padme "You're breaking my heart" lol. Dont kill all of my dreams today, plz

Quote:
Prequel fans are a very small minority and mainly dwell on the internet.
I know you hate the PT Solidus, and i honestly dont care about that but come on, a minority? Stop exaggerating

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #41
Octoberist
point blank

.....okay, only 3/4 of the world dislike the Prequels. I kid, I kid....................OR AM I?

Last edited by Octoberist; 03-11-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
So did Transformers, and Pirates 3. Money does not always equate quailty. In terms of ticket sales individually none of the PT did as well at the OT did. Inflation has changed a lot but ya.
I wasn't referring to quality either. I was referring to them being "hated." And I know full well many hated them, but all the money they made, somebody was going to see them.

Quote:
That sends shivers down your spine? Hell all the PT was a commercial money grab too all of them now pretty much are, Lucas was a great business man and focused a lot on that...a lot. I remember they changed Jar Jar more so originally he was going to be the center of all three, but after the reaction he took him out pretty much. Sometimes market research can be important. So I don't think it should worry you. Look at who they picked. JJ. Look at the writer ect. Branding and film making are two different things to a point. And right now they are changing the branding. It's not a guess, it's just clear from the steps they've taken thus far. You can still make a big franchise but focus on the film quality, Marvel/Nolan have done that pretty well.

Every big franchise/movie studio does market research. It is important. But I think more so for this it was just common sense as well, I mean all of the creators/people involved, have all been saying we want to make it closer to the OT. And that is never a bad thing.
I'm just saying movies should not be based first and foremost on "market research." And no, I don't think Lucas was making those films as some sort of cash grab. I think he was sincere when he made them. You might not like what he likes, but I never saw him as this Luca$ guy everyone makes him out to be. And Jar Jar the center of all three? I think you over state Lucas intentions. That's like saying Chewbacca was the center focus of the original. He made a comic relief that basically did not work and the fans screamed bloody murder. So Lucas cut his role down.

And honestly, I think Attack of the Clones was Lucas taking some of the criticism to heart and trying to appease the fans. The result, in my opinion, was a mess and the worse Star Wars movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Dont say that! To quote Padme "You're breaking my heart" lol. Dont kill all of my dreams today, plz

Hopefully, I'm wrong, Bim. I think Ewan was the best thing the prequels. I would love to see an Obi-Wan movie set between Episode III & IV, showing the elements you listed in a previous post!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #43
Octoberist
point blank

How sweet... William Shatner, Harrison Ford and of course, Simon Pegg!

https://twitter.com/simonpegg/status/311242970538061825

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #44
Bim
Side-Kick

^do you think Shatner is trying to get Harrison to put in a good word for him to get casted in the new SW movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
.....okay, only 3/4 of the world dislike the Prequels. I kid, I kid....................OR AM I?
Dork lol

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Prequel fans are a very small minority and mainly dwell on the internet.
Man an entire generation grew up with this as their introduction to Star Wars. I think the actual films pale in comparison to the OT too but let's not kid ourselves.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #46
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think its the other way around actually. When it comes to the PT and movies like Transformers etc. there's a lot more hate on the internet than in the real world. With people. Interacting. Etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #47
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Pretty much, Darth. I think some people don't realize that these internet communities are in the minority on some opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #48
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post

I know you hate the PT Solidus, and i honestly dont care about that but come on, a minority? Stop exaggerating
A minority can be considered under 49% lol. So I'd beg to differ. This is where you and I will differ. It's not an exaggeration I think at all. And to me I'm not saying people....."HATE" I think many just jump to that conclusion. I think most agree the OT is much better than the PT. I'm not saying a majority of people hate it to such an extreme it's like fire in their eyes or anything. That is somewhat of an exaggeration. So I think this is pretty much true. Most PT fans I know even admit the OT is more to their liking even if just by a little. To what extents may differ from person to person, from the mild to the extreme. And to say I "hate" them is not true I really don't care for them at all, and compared to the masterpiece of the OT they really pale in comparison in my view. But trust me I've seen a lot of worse films. Many many many more worse films. So don't just throw out the "you hate it."

But again to the facts Disney is clearing the PT from the public view in a sense. Canceling Clone Wars, canceling the 3D stuff with AOTC and ROTS (even though they are completed). To me that's nothing to do with how you and I feel. It's just what they are doing factually to the franchise right now. Whether some like it or not is another story. But it seems clear what they are trying to do, clear the board. Not just from the PT though....for everything. They want a new type of view on Star Wars, they did it once they will do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Man an entire generation grew up with this as their introduction to Star Wars. I think the actual films pale in comparison to the OT too but let's not kid ourselves.
Just because a generation grows up on Transformers that does not mean they love and cherish it as people did the OT is it not? See even I had decent like for the PT when they first arrived, but as I grew up, they did not age well, many films are like this nostalgia can only do so much. Many people seem to be kinda turning the page, after the hype died down I saw more and more people personally kinda turn away. Most kids that I knew still had watched the OT first. So I don't' know how many started with that, but I'm sure there are many. But when the PT was coming out, I remember most people would watch the OT on home video. in between or so. But who knows?

So just because a generation grows up on something....does not mean they just have to love it.

Last edited by Solidus; 03-12-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #49
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
I think its the other way around actually. When it comes to the PT and movies like Transformers etc. there's a lot more hate on the internet than in the real world. With people. Interacting. Etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Pretty much, Darth. I think some people don't realize that these internet communities are in the minority on some opinions.
Like your opinions right now?

So you think more people like the PT then the OT? Ya gonna fully disagree with that.

And I disagree. I think the extreme of dislike is more so on the internet, or the love. Maybe more of the extremes for sure. But I think the middle of the road as I said in my post above. Most like the OT better. But again it seems the level of it is varying from person to person. And I'm sure with most it's much less than what you see in places like these. Ya and the GA is easily entertained that's for sure. But maybe more of us "Fan" types. Because we are the hardest to please, the GA much less so.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #50
Octoberist
point blank

relax everyone..just relax.