Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #576
Solouk
Side-Kick

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I'm gonna go Star Wars nuts in May like never before! Marathons and buying any game or book or comic I can get my hand on!
Like a Tasmanian Devil! A whirling dervish of imformation gathering! I 100% believe that filming will start before the end of the year. There will be ALOT of post production on Episode VII. Not so much as if to get swamped in it, but getting it just right and the highest quality. So it becomes secondary to the story. Give them 6-8 months shooting time. Shooting starts Sept-Oct time so that gives you over a year on post prod. Hope they're getting their arses into gear??!!! :!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #577
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Eh 8 months is a long time for shooting. Even Nolan's big "practical blockbusters" that take quite a while take around 6 months. I figure they could do it in 6 maybe 7 easily. Star Trek Into Darkness finished filming in like June/July of last year and they were done with all the SFX shots in March. But you have to also remember that usually big CGI parts/scenes are filmed first so they SFX department has even more time. Films can be turned around quick with high quality SFX (especially since they are outsourcing a lot to China ect) so much more can get done much quicker.

That and JJ likes to be much more practical. These films I will guarantee will not be the amount of CGI that Lucas used with the PT. Lucas used a lot (too much many thought) but also a lot of it was quite "new" and at the bleeding edge so it took even longer for them to make a lot of new things that ILM did not have at the time. I will give George that he pushed them a lot for new tech/programs/simulations ect ect. So those things won't be a problem this go around.

They have been working on Episode VII since last summer, so they have it in gear. And I guarantee you Disney is putting a LOT of resources into this. This film is probably their biggest priority right now.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #578
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

http://maythe4th.starwars.com/

Star Wars.com just launched this a few days ago I think. They are doing something, whether or not we will get anything Episode VII related is another matter. (doubtful but fingers still crossed).

Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #579
Solouk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
http://maythe4th.starwars.com/

Star Wars.com just launched this a few days ago I think. They are doing something, whether or not we will get anything Episode VII related is another matter. (doubtful but fingers still crossed).
Effects aside, I want a convincing story and convincing characters. I don't necessarily mean a serious character study highbrow type film, but a good, solid film. Where you actually give a toss what's happening. Effects don't make me care. Characters and story do. So getting THAT aspect right is paramount. Offcourse, it would be foolish to say the SFX won't matter because they will. But take the time (and if that means 7-8 months for shooting) then so be it. God I'd be a nightmare if I was a director. I'm too much of a perfectionist! Lol

Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #580
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
Effects aside, I want a convincing story and convincing characters. I don't necessarily mean a serious character study highbrow type film, but a good, solid film. Where you actually give a toss what's happening. Effects don't make me care. Characters and story do. So getting THAT aspect right is paramount. Offcourse, it would be foolish to say the SFX won't matter because they will. But take the time (and if that means 7-8 months for shooting) then so be it. God I'd be a nightmare if I was a director. I'm too much of a perfectionist! Lol
I know your new here, but you will find most of us have been saying the same thing. That is why I thank the lucky stars that we got a superb screenwriter writing this. Story is even more secondary to a point, characters are the first and foremost. But that stuff they've been working on for a long while. If you have a good writer/director it does not have to take that long. JJ is one of the best character/action directors out there so I feel beyond confident with that. Michael had a 40-50 page treatment back in October, and has been writing the script since. That part I have the most confidence in is that there will probably be great story/characters.

So shooting has nothing to do with having a good story or not, some of the best films have very short filming times. So that's not how it really works. If they get the right actors in pre-production ect it will be fine. And the rest goes with JJ's skill not necessarily "more time". Shooting won't probably need more then 6 months. What takes a long time for most movies for long shooting time is simply action scenes. Most drama films and Oscar winning films of the sort actually don't take long to shoot. It can vary of course. But in reality they need the time for the bigger scenes, and judging form JJ's past he does just fine with the small character moments, I'd say he does that really really well actually.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #581
Solouk
Side-Kick

Surely characters AND story go arm in arm?. One is not more important than the other. Without a good story, then good characters can't exist? And the reverse. Anyway, you're absolutely correct. I just want a cohesive, fun, fantasy adventure film. But one who's undertones are mature and emotive. No pressure JJ, Arndt etc lol

Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #582
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
Surely characters AND story go arm in arm?. One is not more important than the other. Without a good story, then good characters can't exist? And the reverse. Anyway, you're absolutely correct. I just want a cohesive, fun, fantasy adventure film. But one who's undertones are mature and emotive. No pressure JJ, Arndt etc lol
To a point. But characters need the most. Look at my quote below from JJ, it is how I feel about many films. There have been films that have interesting stories, but you hate/don't care about the characters involved. If you care for the characters sometimes even bumpy stories still work because you are emotionally involved. But yes both go hand in hand for the most part but for something like Star Wars that have more simplistic stories (good vs evil) type of stuff the complexity of the characters are most important.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #583
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Just read this quote from Kathy:

Quote:
Q: How important is secrecy for [Lucasfilm] now? And how do you try and keep secrets, considering how fast things travel now?

A: We talk about that all the time. I think the whole issue of confidentiality is gonna be fascinating as we move into making the movie. If we're shooting anything outside, it's almost impossible to not have things end up on the Internet. So my feeling is, you need to embrace that, especially with the fans around something like Star Wars. You need to recognize they're important to the process and acknowledge there are things you're gonna want to make sure they get to know. So I think that's something we're going to monitor, pay attention to and think differently about.
This actually relives me. Because JJ is so used to wanting everything to be secret it sounds like they won't try so hard with Episode VII. Because we fans are an important process. Funny enough last night (even though my thoughts on the PT are known) I went back and watched all Episode I-III's Web Documentaries. The Episode I ones were the best, but they all rocked and still do. Episode I's I remember starting in like April of 98 and back then the screen size was as big as a postage stamp, but man it took hours and hours to load on my 56K back then but it was worth every bit.

I really hope they continue that greatness of documentaries that they've done before. With Episode I and II they did 12 of em, and with III they did 15 of em. So I really hope we get these documentaries, from the sounds of this quote from Kathy it looks that we will. And it sounds like there will probably lots of outside shooting as well. I'm glad because I remember the monthly treat of the web docs and how we would freak out with them.

I'm just glad Kathy wants us to be a part of it, and understands the excitement and news bits before is part of the process we love.

Can't wait for the chaos to begin!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #584
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Those Web Documentaries are fantastic, if the new trilogy gets those I will be ecstatic!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #585
Solouk
Side-Kick

Quote:
To a point. But characters need the most. Look at my quote below from JJ, it is how I feel about many films. There have been films that have interesting stories, but you hate/don't care about the characters involved. If you care for the characters sometimes even bumpy stories still work because you are emotionally involved. But yes both go hand in hand for the most part but for something like Star Wars that have more simplistic stories (good vs evil) type of stuff the complexity of the characters are most important.
I've just recently re- watched The Mission with Robert de Niro and Jeremy Irons so maybe I'm equating that, and with what I want from Star Wars too much. But that's an adult film where the theme of redemption is told very powerfully and maturely. If you haven't seen it? I recommend you do.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #586
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Like what The Hobbit recently had. I'd love that for Episode 7.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #587
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

The PT had them as well. First one for TPM was released April of 1998. I actually think the PT had better ones then The Hobbit.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #588
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just read this quote from Kathy:

This actually relives me. Because JJ is so used to wanting everything to be secret it sounds like they won't try so hard with Episode VII. Because we fans are an important process. Funny enough last night (even though my thoughts on the PT are known) I went back and watched all Episode I-III's Web Documentaries. The Episode I ones were the best, but they all rocked and still do. Episode I's I remember starting in like April of 98 and back then the screen size was as big as a postage stamp, but man it took hours and hours to load on my 56K back then but it was worth every bit.

I really hope they continue that greatness of documentaries that they've done before. With Episode I and II they did 12 of em, and with III they did 15 of em. So I really hope we get these documentaries, from the sounds of this quote from Kathy it looks that we will. And it sounds like there will probably lots of outside shooting as well. I'm glad because I remember the monthly treat of the web docs and how we would freak out with them.

I'm just glad Kathy wants us to be a part of it, and understands the excitement and news bits before is part of the process we love.

Can't wait for the chaos to begin!
I love that quote from her, it gives me hope!

One thing i truly enjoyed during ROTS filming was the Hyperspace stuff, but especially the live webcam. There was a lot of just waiting around, but if you were lucky enough, you'd catch good stuff. Man, one of the highlights for me was Ewan standing in front of it and smiling to the fans, and the other was burnt Anakin, and no one believed that's what we were seeing. I stick my tongue out to all of those who never believed me, ha! Anyways, i really hope Disney and Lucasfilm do find ways to involve the fans. The web documentaries were awesome, i remember waiting for them anxiously. I've always loved the behind the scenes stuff, and i hope they continue with the tradition of giving us the goodies. I also love looking at how things were done in the bonus features, so i hope there's a lot of that with these new films.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #589
smallville fan
Hero

I believe something will happen come May 4th. I mean check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9B1ERvl87w

The conspiracy theory is sound. I mean Star Trek Into Darkness is premiering in different countries around the same time as May 4th.

And just maybe a big press conference/ panel might happen.

If I were to plan this, it would go like this, I know it’s asking a lot, but it’d be awesome if it happened.

First you have a big screen which first reads: “A long time ago in the year 1977…” *Star Wars theme plays live* We find that John Williams is conducting *Crowd screams and cheers*

A montage of classic fan moments such as fans in costumes as well as various media outlets and various celebrities and people praising Star Wars. Here’s where it gets interesting. The screen fades to black saying “THANK YOU TO ALL THE FANS” then John Williams and the orchestra begin to play Throne Room(the last song in A New Hope) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvmyJRmsCk

The screen then reads: “RETURNING FOR ONE LAST ADVENTURE”

A montage of Lando Calrissian’s, C3-PO and R2-D2’s, Chewbacca’s,(if they want to retcon the EU, mind you I’d be annoyed if they do) Han Solo’s, Princess Leia’s and Luke Skywalker’s best and classic moments throughout the original trilogy plays on the screen one by one. This is then followed by “BILLY DEE WILLIAMS”, “ANTHONY DANIELS AND KENNY BAKER”, “PETER MAYHEW”, “HARRISON FORD”, “CARRIE FISHER”, “MARK HAMILL” written on the big screen. Suddenly each of the actors walk on stage after their name was revealed on screen. *Crowd screams and cheers*

Then J.J. Abrams walk in on stage giving a speech about how this has been a dream come true. He then reveals the tentative title to Episode VII.

Carrie then says “We’re back”
Harrison then says “And you can bet that I’ll always shoot first”
Mark then finishes with “The Force is with us in 2015”

*Crowd screams and cheers and die of happiness*

Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #590
Octoberist
point blank

I admire your larger than life imagination.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #591
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

If the big 3 say stuff remotely like those posted above, I'll make sure their new makeup is made of greek salad ingredients.

Last edited by Gianakin_; 04-29-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #592
Octoberist
point blank

Thank you, Gianakin.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #593
smallville fan
Hero

I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish for that kind of thing to happen. :P

But the Star Wars vs Star Trek war or rather Paramount vs Disney with Abrams caught in the middle has some truth to it I feel.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #594
Octoberist
point blank

Star Trek Wars Vs. Star Wars Trek it seems!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #595
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I wish for the big 3 to share a stage during a press conference, fo sho, but I really hope they don't utter s**t like that. No offense to you at all.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #596
LuisTX85
Hey Bub

Apparently Carrie Fisher is getting a trainer to get"in really good shape",Hamil needs a trainer from the biggest loser show!!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #597
LuisTX85
Hey Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I wish for the big 3 to share a stage during a press conference, fo sho, but I really hope they don't utter s**t like that. No offense to you at all.
I see nothing wrong IF they joked around like that in a press conference

Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #598
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Fair enough.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #599
Octoberist
point blank

Here's the excerpt:

Quote:
Carrie Fisher was again asked at the Calgary Comic Expo this weekend whether she will make an appearance in Star Wars: Episode VII as Princess Leia. Her response was an interesting one.

According to the Calgary Herald, she said the following:

Yes, Carrie Fisher confirmed to a rapt audience at the BMO Centre Saturday afternoon that she will in fact be reprising her most famous role of Princess Leia in a new series of Star Wars films, which will be produced by Disney. She was the first of the original cast members to announce her participation back in March, although apparently jumped the gun. Her publicist later said she was joking and that nothing had been confirmed.

However, it seems to be a done deal now. But for fans looking for a sneak-peek of what to expect in the new film, Fisher didn’t offer many juicy details.

“I like being bought by Disney, because they never wanted to buy me before,” she said during a talk at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo. “I’m glad they are doing a new movie because they are sending a trainer to my house so I can get in really good shape. So I’m really eating a lot of sugar in advance, as you can see. By the time I really get down to it I will have eaten everything.”
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103534

Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #600
Octoberist
point blank

And photos from her appearance from (same) Calgary Comic Expo.

http://www.demotix.com/news/2001014/...#media-2001000