The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you think the Republican Party needs to evolve and become more inclusive?
Yes 48 84.21%
No 6 10.53%
I'm not sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #27
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
It baffles the mind how complacant everyone has become towards our government. As long as the government has some bigger "monster" (hitler, russia, terrorism) out their to parade in front of the american people they just set back and let the government do whatever it wants. I really believe that is part of the governments power. Its like "Don't question us. We are protecting you from the evil." And it seems to be working, but in the words of Benjamin Franklin:

And the more paraphrased version, those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
Add the media to that. People don't want news anymore. They just want gossip about celebrities and psuedo-celebrities.

WHO. GIVES. A. ****?!?!

The only reason they're famous is because they say their famous and people watch them. Used to be you had to actually DO something to earn celebrity status. Now you just have to act like an idiot/jerk/airhead/punchline.

Combine that with the media churning out rampant speculation and calling it news because it's the only way to fill up an unnecessary 24-hour news cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
Not exactly excited at this. Cause, ya know, I'm a 3rd Party guy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/liber...n-party-2013-3

But basically it goes on to say Libertarians may rise up in the GOP. -_- wrong party to be in imho.
How do I put this......that's a good thing. The Libertarian Party will never go beyond a third party that will never get more than 1% of the vote. Rising up in the GOP is the way for them to gain actual influence. So unless you want the Libertarian Movement to remain a meaningless niche group, you should be happy.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #29
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
How do I put this......that's a good thing. The Libertarian Party will never go beyond a third party that will never get more than 1% of the vote. Rising up in the GOP is the way for them to gain actual influence. So unless you want the Libertarian Movement to remain a meaningless niche group, you should be happy.
Even if they do grow over time, more positive influence in more places never hurts.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:

So best case scenario would be libertarians greatly influence or take over GOP and the LP grows a bit?

No, I'm not that happen. I think people have short memories. The two-party system is broken. The major parties allowed the Federal Reserve to come into power in 1913 and look at us today. All this debt, and a weak dollar.

No matter what the GOP does, I will stick with the LP. That's not to say I wouldn't buy a book written by a Rep or Dem. I just wouldn't vote for them is all.

And damn, Rand Paul stood for a long time. And hold that piss. Impressive. I would be doing a little dance if I were there. The 'I need to pee dance'. And then Kimmel would make fun of me.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #31
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN P - Part 13

You have to hand it to Strom Thurmond, sure he was a despicable man, but that man could filibuster. He went on for 24 hours straight.

Only thing sustaining him was his hatred.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #32
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

People are making old man jokes at Strom and saying he used a diaper, but....but...he was only I think 54 at the time of his filibuster and...

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...rmond-bathroom

He did use the bathroom once during a few minute break and took well..

Quote:
Ew, did Strom Thurmond not use the bathroom? Let’s see: in 1957, Time reported that he used it just once, during a few-minute break to update the Congressional Record. And, per The Village Voice: “[T]o prepare himself, he took steam baths every day to dehydrate his body so it could absorb fluids without his having to leave the Senate chamber for the bathroom. On the day he was scheduled to start speaking at 9 p.m., he took another steam.”

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
People are making old man jokes at Strom and saying he used a diaper, but....but...he was only I think 54 at the time of his filibuster and...

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...rmond-bathroom

He did use the bathroom once during a few minute break and took well..
He very well might have used a diaper.....not sure he could have gone that long without doing that...that has nothing to do with his age. You try going that long without a restroom break.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #34
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
He very well might have used a diaper.....not sure he could have gone that long without doing that...that has nothing to do with his age. You try going that long without a restroom break.
Minus a diaper-----Its possible, very painful and uncomfortable, but possible. Which now that I think about it, might be why I have some of the health issues I have.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Minus a diaper-----Its possible, very painful and uncomfortable, but possible. Which now that I think about it, might be why I have some of the health issues I have.
For a younger person, quite possible.....for a man of 54 at that day and time, 54 was much different then than it is today, would be quite the problem.

I cannot believe we are having this conversation....lmao.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
For a younger person, quite possible.....for a man of 54 at that day and time, 54 was much different then than it is today, would be quite the problem.

I cannot believe we are having this conversation....lmao.
Reminds me of when I was at a party and a guy or two said something about holding it in...cause once you go, it's going to be like a flood and you going ot keep having to go.

or something liek that, I dunno.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #37
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
So best case scenario would be libertarians greatly influence or take over GOP and the LP grows a bit?

No, I'm not that happen. I think people have short memories. The two-party system is broken. The major parties allowed the Federal Reserve to come into power in 1913 and look at us today. All this debt, and a weak dollar.

No matter what the GOP does, I will stick with the LP. That's not to say I wouldn't buy a book written by a Rep or Dem. I just wouldn't vote for them is all.

And damn, Rand Paul stood for a long time. And hold that piss. Impressive. I would be doing a little dance if I were there. The 'I need to pee dance'. And then Kimmel would make fun of me.
The Libertarian Party is never going to grow. So the best realistic scenario is the libertarians gaining more evidence within the GOP.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Politician Ed Orcutt Says Cycling Pollutes

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/20...ling-pollutes/

Quote:
In an e-mail to a constituent opposing a proposed bicycle tax in Washington, Orcutt pointed out that because riders have an increased heart rate and breathing, they emit more carbon dioxide.
Orcutt added that drivers pay a tax for using roads and having bike lanes; therefore, bicyclists should pay to use the same roads. He went on, explaining that a gas tax generates money for maintaining the roads, so bicyclists should have an equivalent expense for the maintenance of the roads they ride.
Technically, he's right. And, cyclists that use the road are putting wear on the road and emitting "pollutants" (even if it's substantially less wear than an automobile would). But, like the article said, a shoe tax would be acceptable under this type of reasoning. After all, runners put wear on the roads (or sidewalks) and emit "pollutants." This kind of petty thinking is what leads to our ridiculously complex and economically-damaging tax code.

Even though this could have probably gone in the taxation thread, I'm putting it here, since Orcutt is a Republican. He's apparently apologized and backed off since, but I only found a broken link listed as a source.
Apology or not, he still merits the following from me:

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #39
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

In a very meaningless poll and probably a good indicator of who won't go on to better things for the party, Rand Paul wins the CPAC straw poll

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...-cruz/1993089/

Quote:
Rand Paul edges Marco Rubio in CPAC straw poll

Tea Party favorites such as Paul and Rubio won the hearts of the grass-roots activists, many of them young people, who attended the CPAC event.

OXON HILL, Md. — The next presidential election is more than three years away, but to thousands of conservative activists, the top contenders are GOP Sens. Rand Paul and Marco Rubio.

Paul, R-Ky., edged out his freshman colleague from Florida as the top vote-getter in the presidential straw poll conducted at the Conservative Political Action Conference, which wrapped up its 40th gathering Saturday.

Paul won 25% of the CPAC vote, while Rubio took 23%. The annual conservative convention is popular with college students: Of the 2,930 voters, more than half were aged 18-25 and two-thirds were men.
beyond that

Quote:
Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum came in third in the straw poll with 8% of the CPAC vote, followed by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who was not invited to speak at the conference, with 7% of the vote. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee, was supported by 6% of the CPAC voters.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #40
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
In a very meaningless poll and probably a good indicator of who won't go on to better things for the party, Rand Paul wins the CPAC straw poll

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...-cruz/1993089/

beyond that

CPAC means nothing. Maybe if it included 3rd or minor parties, it be more...news worthy that, oh my god a libertarian won a poll! But no...CPAC is nothing but a poll where whoever has the most supporters there, usually a libertarian or tea party or a hip GOPer like Rubio, will do great at.

Ron Paul won some...look what he did in the long term. nothing. Except sell lots of books and be very popular on a thing called 'the world wide web'

*drops mic and kicks it off stage*

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #41
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I saw some of the CPAC coverage and it would appear that they've learned nothing.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #42
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I saw some of the CPAC coverage and it would appear that they've learned nothing.
CPAC is a comedy hosts wet dream of source material. It's basically the Republican equivalent of Comic Con.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #43
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
CPAC is a comedy hosts wet dream of source material. It's basically the Republican equivalent of Comic Con.
And those that don't like them still.......don't like them. LOL, all is well with the world.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #44
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I look at it in a completely different way. It really shows a really interesting face on the GOP. What we're seeing is a completely directionless GOP that is struggling what direction it needs to go in. We have the GOP establishment elite that really has no connection to its base. We have the people who are running the Republican Party in terms of strategy, Super PACs, and campaigns who are at complete odds with the social conservatives. And we have a growing libertarian movement that is coalescing around Rand Paul.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #45
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Not to mention the differences between the ideologies of the age groups.

The old establishment push further and further towards social conservatism, while the young are leaning towards the growing libertarian sect.

If this keeps up, one of two things will happen as the old establishment dies off: the young repubs will take over, going a long way to unify the party under the libertarian movement; or the middle agers will be scared ****less over the idea of losing power, and move further right just like their elders. Which will just keep the party divided and weak.

That is, if things stay how they are, and the party can't get their act together at the thought of a couple of decades of the democrats being in power.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #46
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

If the GOP becomes libertarian thanks to Rand Paul, I swear we (Libertarian Party) is going to feel like a cousin not invited to a wedding...

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
If the GOP becomes libertarian thanks to Rand Paul, I swear we (Libertarian Party) is going to feel like a cousin not invited to a wedding...
Seriously dude, the Libertarian Party is never going to gain traction. Third parties, not just the Libertarian Party, are already cousins not invited to a wedding. I don't get why you're tied to a party and root for them like they're the underdog football team run by Charlie Brown. It's the ideology that is important and the best way for the Libertarian Movement to gain true traction, is through the GOP.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #48
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Seriously dude, the Libertarian Party is never going to gain traction. Third parties, not just the Libertarian Party, are already cousins not invited to a wedding. I don't get why you're tied to a party and root for them like they're the underdog football team run by Charlie Brown. It's the ideology that is important and the best way for the Libertarian Movement to gain true traction, is through the GOP.

You really think two parties that allowed the Federal Reserve to come into power are going to audit it and/or end it? Really? . Even if the libertarian movement spread...the GOP will always have factions...it would be a matter of time before a neoconservative, conservative, or moderate, or Far Right came into power again. Unless if the libertarian movement tells the other factions to get lost and changes it's name, then it's doubtful I vote GOP. I mean really...I already agree with the Democrats more than the GOP. At least according to isidewith site. I'm Libertarian, Green, Democratic, and then sadly, a very high 39% GOP.

You really really think the GOP is gonna change. You *really* think change will happen before a monetary collapse? Well, you can vote GOP, and I can vote LP. I be very shocked if Rand Paul is nominee in 2016 or 2020.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #49
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
The Libertarians would need to infiltrate the GOP to the point that the party becomes Republican in name only? I would be okay with that.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #50
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
The Libertarians would need to infiltrate the GOP to the point that the party becomes Republican in name only? I would be okay with that.
Neocon's, Conservative's, Moderates, and Far Right won't allow that to happen. They would just tell the libertarians to go to the LP. You got 5 factions in the GOP...I really doubt all can get a long for better of the country.

Closed Thread