The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 AM   #976
Fumardude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 84
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I think everyones taking this to seriously .. Kevin feige said that they have development ideas & stories for pretty much all characters they have access too and BW is just a possibility..


But I'd love a Black Widow & Hawkeye movie ... Maybe even throw the punisher in there

Fumardude is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #977
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,837
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwolf_oakley View Post
Natasha wanting to save Yelena while Yelena wants to surpass Natasha makes a good hook. Yelena and Natasha would have to fight each other at some point, but I don't want Yelena to be the villain of the story.

Alexi Shosatkov, the Red Guardian (though not called that, as the Cold War's over, grandpa) would be interesting as a the main antagonist. Maybe he and Natasha knew each other when she was working for whoever she first worked for. As superhero movies do a lot of "character mashing" maybe he will become the Crimson Dynamo in the climax.

Adding "superhero flair" to a Black Widow movie could be Russia trying to start their own Avengers, called Winter's Guard. A team in case a portal opens and an alien invasion happens in Moscow makes sense, with the fears of "Superheroes are created to fight World War III." This actually gives a moral weight to a "superhero spy-fi story."

There are a lot of Marvel Russian characters. Titanium Man, Darkstar, Vanguard, Starlight, Ursa Major, and Gremlin. As superhero movies rarely use codenames anyway, they would probably use their "real" names.
The whole "persons of mass destruction" angle makes sense to me. Darkstar and a Crimson Dynamo version of Red Guardian sounds really solid. Trying to control people-weapons which is exactly what Black Widow is all about. I don't think you should spend too much of budget on superheroes though. So that leaves out people like Ursa Major, which would require hulk-like CGI, I believe.

I think though, because we're talking about old military projects, code names for the project make abundant sense, and fans/media will naturally ascribe those names to the character. Also, Alexi Shostakov was Ronin at one time, something which does actually echo the idea that he is now a man without a country. You can do cold war tropes without having to rebuild the USSR exactly, it's an option.

Some of the PMDs are pretty cool as an antagonist squad for BWidow because they are female and there's that sense of 'she was the first, and because of her success they grabbed us young too' or worse, being old friends. Darkstar doing a Darkforce singularity thing could be awesome with Starlight being sealed off because of her nuclear fallout effect. The nuclear thing is another callback to Cold War tropes that you could actually play straight.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #978
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,139
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I was watching IM 2 with a friend the other day and he brought up an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Natasha is Russian and Vanko was also Russian. Despite this, the movie made no effort to try and tie the two together. or maybe just parallel them, either plot-wise or thematically. It seems like such an obvious thing to do, but they missed it.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #979
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero
 
Hulk-1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,075
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

^ I was thinking the same thing but I'm pretty sure they were actually connected in the comics.

Hulk-1700 is offline  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #980
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!
 
Suzanne78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,342
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Hey, wasn't there something related to possible Black Widow undies for women that were supposed to tie into TWS? What happened with that?

__________________
"Joss Whedon, Shane Black, Edgar Wright, James Gunn… For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."
--Chewy

Avatar by Kane52630
Suzanne78 is offline  
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #981
lostzilla
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 230
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

OMG i need this:


lostzilla is offline  
Old 02-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #982
lostzilla
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 230
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I'd like to see Black Widow in a promo pic like that pose:


lostzilla is offline  
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #983
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick
 
DJ Kornphlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,145
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I was watching IM 2 with a friend the other day and he brought up an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Natasha is Russian and Vanko was also Russian. Despite this, the movie made no effort to try and tie the two together. or maybe just parallel them, either plot-wise or thematically. It seems like such an obvious thing to do, but they missed it.
I don't see why they would have. Not all Russians know each other.

DJ Kornphlake is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #984
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I hate this thread sometimes . I now want a Black Widow more than I want air.

Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #985
ironman_rick
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 215
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Just wondering why isn't scarlett Johansson growing her hair longer for BW. Don't get me wrong, she looks absolutely hot now....but she would be even more hotter with longer hair

__________________
A genius billionaire playboy philanthropist
ironman_rick is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #986
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

...Oh come on.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #987
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,139
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
I don't see why they would have. Not all Russians know each other.
In comics books they seem to. Plus it would have given her something to do that was actually relevant to the plot, instead of just being an Avengers tease.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #988
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,197
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
In comics books they seem to. Plus it would have given her something to do that was actually relevant to the plot, instead of just being an Avengers tease.
If you're referring to IM2, Natasha's presence was entirely relevant to the plot of the movie. She was assigned to infiltrate Stark Industries to keep tabs on Tony because a.) he had created a powerful weapons system; and b.) his behavior was erratic. She helped Fury corral Stark after his drunken confrontation with Rhodey and broke Vanko's control of the War Machine armor. There was no reason to tack on an unnecessary and frankly implausible subplot in which the twenty-something Natasha Romanoff somehow knew the fifty-something Ivan Vanko. It was Tony Stark's story, not Natasha's.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #989
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,139
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.

Loki882 is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #990
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,818
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostzilla View Post
OMG i need this:

Hopefully we get this Widow image released officially.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #991
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,633
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.
Other than saving the day in the end, since she was the one to free Rhodey of Vanko's control.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #992
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero
 
Hulk-1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,075
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.
Yeah....except she did have a reason to be there & it seems like you merely glanced over a post stating a multitude of reasons as to why she was relevant to the story beyond having her character set up for TA.

Hulk-1700 is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #993
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,735
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.
By that logic, you could replace Happy or Rhodey with random people and the plot wouldn't have changed much either. BW did play a vital role in helping IM and it was also a way for Marvel to introduce a character who was going to be appearing in their big team-up movie.

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #994
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,197
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.
It's ironic that you always make such a point of railing about what you see as the lack of representation of female heroes in Marvel films, yet you take any and every chance you can create to denigrate the Black Widow. The fact is that she was integral to the plot of both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, and she contributed to the heroes' victory in both films. The Black Widow was in both films because she is an Avenger and a superheroine, not some random SHIELD agent. Had Natasha not hacked Vanko's computers and freed Rhodey either he or Tony would have died. In TA, she worked with Selvig to close the portal. In both cases, she accomplished tasks that were important to the resolution of the threats.

You may want to ignore all of that because it doesn't support your biased view of the Black Widow but facts are facts.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #995
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!
 
Suzanne78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,342
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Other than saving the day in the end, since she was the one to free Rhodey of Vanko's control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk-1700 View Post
Yeah....except she did have a reason to be there & it seems like you merely glanced over a post stating a multitude of reasons as to why she was relevant to the story beyond having her character set up for TA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
By that logic, you could replace Happy or Rhodey with random people and the plot wouldn't have changed much either. BW did play a vital role in helping IM and it was also a way for Marvel to introduce a character who was going to be appearing in their big team-up movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It's ironic that you always make such a point of railing about what you see as the lack of representation of female heroes in Marvel films, yet you take any and every chance you can create to denigrate the Black Widow. The fact is that she was integral to the plot of both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, and she contributed to the heroes' victory in both films. The Black Widow was in both films because she is an Avenger and a superheroine, not some random SHIELD agent. Had Natasha not hacked Vanko's computers and freed Rhodey either he or Tony would have died. In TA, she worked with Selvig to close the portal. In both cases, she accomplished tasks that were important to the resolution of the threats.

You may want to ignore all of that because it doesn't support your biased view of the Black Widow but facts are facts.
Sums it up about right.

I will never understand people who say BW's only there for T&A or window dressing. She's been vital to every appearance in a Marvel movie, doing things that moved the plot forward. She's no one's love interest, she's tough, she's kicks all the ass, and she does so with a ton of baggage from her past.

The movies and Scarlett have done a great job with fleshing her out so far, and it looks like CA:TWS will continue.

__________________
"Joss Whedon, Shane Black, Edgar Wright, James Gunn… For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."
--Chewy

Avatar by Kane52630
Suzanne78 is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #996
speno94
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 506
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

^ I agree, even though I thought Iron Man 2 was a weak film, she wasn't just window dressing and she did help the hero, but she made more of an impression in Avengers than in Iron Man 2.

I sort of liked BW appearance in IM2 because it was a nod to the early Jack Kirby Tales of Suspense comics where BW first appearance was as a villain to Iron Man. But if there is one film BW would be best in, it's this film, especially because of the Winter Soldiers appearance. I hope they didn't have have a love relationship, but maybe they worked with each other before, but I will be SLIGHTLY disappointed if there isn't a SLIGHT connection between those two characters.


Last edited by speno94; 02-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
speno94 is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #997
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick
 
Joeyjojo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

__________________
Originally Posted by KangConquers

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #998
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,633
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Basically, if you say "____ was pointless, the stuff they did could have been done by anyone!", what you are saying is that ____ *wasn't* pointless. Same with complaints about Thor and SHIELD: I've literally seen people say "SHIELD had no point in the movie, it could have been any random feds there!"

metaphysician is offline  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #999
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,837
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

You know what I think is hilarious. Black Widow and Iron Man are the only ones who actually defeated the Chitauri. Widow cut off their advance all on her own, though it might have been pointless after Iron Man blew them up. Still, everyone else was just a distraction for the enemy army so they wouldn't kill people.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #1000
BoredGuy
Killing Time
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the future past
Posts: 3,289
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Well, if you want to look at it in that very narrow kind of way, then only Iron Man defeated the Chitauri.
His redirection of the missle took out the entire alien army. (and hey, it was SHIELD's missle, do they get credit?)
Black Widow just closed the door after it was over.

But really, they needed hawkeye's intel, cap's direction, Hulk's ass-kicking, and Thor single handedly stopping hundreds or thousands of more soldiers coming through
Point is, they all had their part to play

__________________
MOVIE STUDIO BATTING AVERAGES:
MARVEL- .800 WB- .412 FOX- .400 SONY- .429


BoredGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.