The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #151
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,847
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Hmm... I disagree.

I think the intra-team conflict was some of the best parts about The Avengers.

Iron man vs Thor
Thor vs Hulk
Hawkeye vs Black Widow
Rogers vs Stark

Those scenes were what made their inevitable teamup so impactful. If they had been all:

the entire time, the movie would have been boring as balls.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #152
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,747
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Less than that, actually. The sequence in Italy, the USO show and Steve rescuing Bucky happen at the end of 1943.

Even if Steve went down very late in the war, weeks before VE-Day, it'd still be no more than a year and a half.

Fury and Rhodey are both Colonels, so they served for around 20 years.

MY point was that while experience accounts for a lot, there are still those people who are naturally gifted and manage to achieve and learn plenty in less time than others.
It's a matter of degree. Even if Cap hasn't spent as many years in the field as Widow or Fury, the field he *was* in was the biggest goddamn one imaginable in human history. His combat experience was against the biggest and meanest army in human history in the biggest, bloodiest war in human history; and even the fictionalized HYDRA were Nazis on steroids with sci-fi weaponry. So no matter how many years of experience SHIELD's top spies might've had, it pales in comparison to the actual furnace of real and sci-fi war where Cap earned his (stars and) stripes.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #153
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,324
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Less than that, actually. The sequence in Italy, the USO show and Steve rescuing Bucky happen at the end of 1943.

Even if Steve went down very late in the war, weeks before VE-Day, it'd still be no more than a year and a half.

Fury and Rhodey are both Colonels, so they served for around 20 years.

MY point was that while experience accounts for a lot, there are still those people who are naturally gifted and manage to achieve and learn plenty in less time than others.
If that's the case, that one plus year must have been eventful since Cap is regarded with such high respect by a lot of people apparently within the present.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #154
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Joe Johnston stated the movie took place over the course of 3 years, I think just about 1/2 a year on tour and the rest at war. And don't forget, the SSS enhanced his mind as well, not just he physical.

peterparker0077 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #155
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Eh. . . there's not really any evidence in the movie for mental enhancement. He was already a clever guy before he got the SSS, and he remained clever afterwards.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #156
onyxrose81
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I think they were trying to infer in the movie when he was telling them about the factories when he looked at the map but yeah, they didn't really spell it out in the movie.

onyxrose81 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #157
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I thought they displayed subtly well.

The map example is a great example, he looked at it for a split second, and memorized the locations of all those bases.

Dr Erskine mentioned that the serum effects and enhances everything, not just the physical

Also, the last scene of everyone sitting in the strategy room, thinking of ideas on how to infiltrate the final Hydra base, and some one makes a joke about knocking on the front door, and Cap says "That's exactly what we're going to do" ... was a nice subtle display of it as well.

peterparker0077 is offline  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #158
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Eh, the thing is, he was already portrayed as a keen witted, clever person before the serum. I'm not really willing to grant that an artist having a good visual memory is evidence for super-brains.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #159
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Eh, the thing is, he was already portrayed as a keen witted, clever person before the serum. I'm not really willing to grant that an artist having a good visual memory is evidence for super-brains.
Possessing an eidetic memory and being a superb tactician and strategist have always been part of Captain America's skill set conferred by the Super Soldier serum. That goes back to the comic books.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 05-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #160
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

No, they've always been part of his skill set. They've never been something given by the SSS, or at least not especially often. Particularly since the various times he's *lost* the SSS, he hasn't suddenly dropped 50 IQ points.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #161
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
No, they've always been part of his skill set. They've never been something given by the SSS, or at least not especially often. Particularly since the various times he's *lost* the SSS, he hasn't suddenly dropped 50 IQ points.
The super soldier serum OBVIOUSLY had effects on his brain. Do you not remember the part where he said he can't get drunk because the serum effected not only his muscles, but also his cells (Which include his brain cells, since the mind is what is effected most when becoming drunk).

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #162
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
The super soldier serum OBVIOUSLY had effects on his brain. Do you not remember the part where he said he can't get drunk because the serum effected not only his muscles, but also his cells (Which include his brain cells, since the mind is what is effected most when becoming drunk).
What does "not able to get drunk" have to do with intellect? All it means is his metabolism is faster and more efficient. Does Wolverine have super-intellect, given he's resistant to getting drunk, too?

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #163
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
What does "not able to get drunk" have to do with intellect? All it means is his metabolism is faster and more efficient. Does Wolverine have super-intellect, given he's resistant to getting drunk, too?
Wolverine is resistant to getting drunk because he has a healing factor, he didn't receive his powers through the super soldier serum. Besides, even if you wanna ignore the whole "can't get drunk" thing, there were numerous moments in the film that made it obvious that his brain was effected. The part where he memorized the locations on the map were obviously attributed to the serum. He never showed anything of the sort pre-serum. There's a difference between simply being "clever" and memorizing locations on a map in an instant.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #164
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
The super soldier serum OBVIOUSLY had effects on his brain. Do you not remember the part where he said he can't get drunk because the serum effected not only his muscles, but also his cells (Which include his brain cells, since the mind is what is effected most when becoming drunk).
it said the SSS affected his metabolism of alcohol....not his mental abilities while drinking

ctsketch is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #165
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Again - Dr Erskine mentioned that the serum effects and enhances everything, not just the physical. That includes the intellect.

peterparker0077 is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #166
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

And yet showed no actual evidence of it, nor did anyone else who received the SSS.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #167
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And yet showed no actual evidence of it, nor did anyone else who received the SSS.
the accurate shield throwing isn't a physical thing, its a skill thing. throwing a shield having it bounce off a tank and hit someone who is running behind you?

ctsketch is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #168
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And yet showed no actual evidence of it, nor did anyone else who received the SSS.
Why do you keep ignoring the map memorization?

Also, who else received the SSS on film besides Cap and the Red Skull?

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #169
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,753
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I ignore the map memorization because its, at best, ambiguous, doubly so because the film already showed that he was a trained artist and clever. Having a good enough memory to memorize a map does not a super-genius make.

As for other people receiving the SSS, Blonsky received something a lot like it, at the least.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #170
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick
 
BullMcGiveny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Whether or not he got smarter with the serum is debatable.

The flagpole scene was meant to tell us that skinny!Steve might be small but he is cleverer than many.

BullMcGiveny is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #171
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,324
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

We need some Scarlett back onto this thread.lol




herolee10 is offline  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #172
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I ignore the map memorization because its, at best, ambiguous, doubly so because the film already showed that he was a trained artist and clever.
Being clever and good at art is one thing, but don't group memorizing multiple locations on a map in a short amount of time with those two things. They are NOT the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Having a good enough memory to memorize a map does not a super-genius make.
It doesn't take a "super-genius", but it does take someone with heightened mental acuity. Even though it wasn't outright said, it was heavily implied that Steve was able to memorize the locations because of the serum.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #173
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,908
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I ignore the map memorization because its, at best, ambiguous, doubly so because the film already showed that he was a trained artist and clever. Having a good enough memory to memorize a map does not a super-genius make.

As for other people receiving the SSS, Blonsky received something a lot like it, at the least.
I think in the audio commentary of the DVD they said something about the SSS helping him to memorise the map.
I'm not sure though, I'll have to listen again.

Ms. Marvel is offline  
Old 06-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #174
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,029
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread


__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #175
hafizbat
Side-Kick
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,552
Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

It seems Cap and Widow are together in almost every scene, and they seem pretty darn close. Is it possible that Natasha is Cap's love interest...? I know they didn't start out that way but after spending so much time together it could be a possibility. Thoughts on that? I'd like it, but it make make things a bit complicated for Avengers 2.

hafizbat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.