Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

I AM THE MANDARIN!!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #177
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Lol. Going to see this tonight with a friend. Honestly, only die hard fans are pissed about the twist. Literally everyone I've spoken to really dug it, and found it hilarious, much like me.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #178
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Lol. Going to see this tonight with a friend. Honestly, only die hard fans are pissed about the twist. Literally everyone I've spoken to really dug it, and found it hilarious, much like me.
Not true. I'm far from being a die hard fan and I disliked it. I know a bunch of other guys who aren't even into comics, and they disliked it too. The majority seems to love it though, I won't deny.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #179
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Okay, fine, let's say 8 out of ten people like the twist.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #180
Maximus One
Oddball

Wow so other people are making the Ringo connection? My dad has been a life long Beatles fanatic (he was born in 1958) and when we went and saw it the other night the first thing he said, even before Tomy calls him Ringo was "Is that Ben Kingsley?? Oh man they should get him to play Ringo!" lol

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #181
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Okay, fine, let's say 8 out of ten people like the twist.
I would say probably 7 out of ten.

But who knows for sure? The majority are loving it, and isn't that what matters?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #182
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Yup

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #183
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Die hard fan here...

Thought it was funny...

Interesting twist...

Spoilers below!!!!!

Did not like Killian being the "real" Mandarin.

I was very excited for the Mandarin to be the villian, instead it was some yuppie head of A.I.M. Disappointed in that!

Did not like Pepper being a bigger bada$$ than Tony!

Also, way too many, almost unbeatable, Extremis dudes and dudets. So Tony, while in the armor, can baely beat one, but his Jarvis controlled hollow shells were able to kick their butts (yes some were lost)...

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #184
batman1115
Side-Kick

What does anyone think of Harry Knowles thoughts...
Let’s talk a bit about THE MANDARIN now. If IRON MAN 3 has an element that is able to dynamically piss off fans of IRON MAN, it will be how most take in Ben Kingsley’s performance of this character. There’s a twist and reveal that changes everything that you’re expecting with this character. But that first twist when Tony meets him… I feel is not the only twist. And I have to talk about it in this review. Because in many ways it is incredibly intriguing to me.

The mere fact that one of the rings he’s wearing has the same symbol as Faran Tahir’s Raza – and we know that he was a part of an organization that was referred to as TEN RINGS – which we all took as being a reference to The Mandarin. Now in this film – we’re given a whole bunch of misdirection with The Mandarin. He’s given several names in the film. THE MANDARIN is his outward Television Terrorist persona. In private, Killian and all of Killian’s men refer to him as The Master, which also seems to be the security’s codename for The Mandarin as he is being transported and moved.

Then there’s who Tony Stark finds coming out of a bathroom to bed two beauties he found in the Mandarin’s chambers. Tony has the drop on him – and suddenly he’s an actor playing the part of the Mandarin. He’s laid back actor – who claims he’s being used to create a character for Killian. Tony wants to believe this immediately cuz Killian has engaged Pepper – and Tony does have jealousy issues regarding Ms Potts. Ben Kingsley’s performance as the Mandarin for the television threats is very deliberate and dramatic. As The Master – we never actually see him become The Master… except once, I feel. After Tony has been taken out of the room – and he’s asked by Killian and I believe it was James Dale’s Savin about what information he gave Stark… This is where I see a third persona – the most guarded of them all… He’s laughing about the whole situation, but when asked – his eyes get a completely different look – his voice becomes colder and he smiles and then the tone of his voice shifts… and he gets a serious look on his face, while smiling inside satisfied with himself.

Later, when he’s being interrogated by Rhodes and Stark, he gives them the Vice President as a clue. This is still really giving them nothing, they think the Vice President is in danger. This is actually misdirection that The Mandarin has given them. But let me ask you this… Why, in private, would Killian call a down on his luck actor, MASTER? Where did Killian and Maya get the money to finance their Extremis work? Perhaps The Master/The Mandarin has set in motion a second salvo at Tony. His men captured him in Afganistan and now this.

If Marvel is playing The Mandarin as I suspect – we will have a scene where Tony stumbles straight into a situation where he feels completely safe in his presence… and Kapow.

batman1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #185
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Wow so other people are making the Ringo connection? My dad has been a life long Beatles fanatic (he was born in 1958) and when we went and saw it the other night the first thing he said, even before Tomy calls him Ringo was "Is that Ben Kingsley?? Oh man they should get him to play Ringo!" lol
Peace and love, peace and love...

Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #186
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Sigh. He's just a drunken actor. But hey! Maybe we'll get Sir Ben Kingsley doing backflips and using power rings in a Iron Man movie one day!

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #187
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1115 View Post
What does anyone think of Harry Knowles thoughts...
Let’s talk a bit about THE MANDARIN now. If IRON MAN 3 has an element that is able to dynamically piss off fans of IRON MAN, it will be how most take in Ben Kingsley’s performance of this character. There’s a twist and reveal that changes everything that you’re expecting with this character. But that first twist when Tony meets him… I feel is not the only twist. And I have to talk about it in this review. Because in many ways it is incredibly intriguing to me.

The mere fact that one of the rings he’s wearing has the same symbol as Faran Tahir’s Raza – and we know that he was a part of an organization that was referred to as TEN RINGS – which we all took as being a reference to The Mandarin. Now in this film – we’re given a whole bunch of misdirection with The Mandarin. He’s given several names in the film. THE MANDARIN is his outward Television Terrorist persona. In private, Killian and all of Killian’s men refer to him as The Master, which also seems to be the security’s codename for The Mandarin as he is being transported and moved.

Then there’s who Tony Stark finds coming out of a bathroom to bed two beauties he found in the Mandarin’s chambers. Tony has the drop on him – and suddenly he’s an actor playing the part of the Mandarin. He’s laid back actor – who claims he’s being used to create a character for Killian. Tony wants to believe this immediately cuz Killian has engaged Pepper – and Tony does have jealousy issues regarding Ms Potts. Ben Kingsley’s performance as the Mandarin for the television threats is very deliberate and dramatic. As The Master – we never actually see him become The Master… except once, I feel. After Tony has been taken out of the room – and he’s asked by Killian and I believe it was James Dale’s Savin about what information he gave Stark… This is where I see a third persona – the most guarded of them all… He’s laughing about the whole situation, but when asked – his eyes get a completely different look – his voice becomes colder and he smiles and then the tone of his voice shifts… and he gets a serious look on his face, while smiling inside satisfied with himself.

Later, when he’s being interrogated by Rhodes and Stark, he gives them the Vice President as a clue. This is still really giving them nothing, they think the Vice President is in danger. This is actually misdirection that The Mandarin has given them. But let me ask you this… Why, in private, would Killian call a down on his luck actor, MASTER? Where did Killian and Maya get the money to finance their Extremis work? Perhaps The Master/The Mandarin has set in motion a second salvo at Tony. His men captured him in Afganistan and now this.

If Marvel is playing The Mandarin as I suspect – we will have a scene where Tony stumbles straight into a situation where he feels completely safe in his presence… and Kapow.
Methinks he's fooling himself.

RoboAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #188
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Not true. I'm far from being a die hard fan and I disliked it. I know a bunch of other guys who aren't even into comics, and they disliked it too. The majority seems to love it though, I won't deny.
You realize the fact that you are on this forum means you *are* a "die hard fan", yes? Non die hard fans don't show up on fandom-related forums.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #189
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You realize the fact that you are on this forum means you *are* a "die hard fan", yes? Non die hard fans don't show up on fandom-related forums.
...Are you serious?..

There are many people on these forums who have never opened a comic book before. Are they die hard fans as well? Are they not allowed to post on here?

I never even visited the IM3 section before I saw the movie. I came here because I wanted to discuss it with others who had seen it, and that's a good place for me to discuss these kinds of movies. I'm interested in superhero movies more than I'm interested in comic books. As a whole, I'm more of a movie fan than a comic book fan. I never had the chance to read comic books when I was growing up, because where I'm from originally they're virtually non-existent.

Again, I'm far from a die-hard fan. But I am a fan of these movies nonetheless.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #190
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
This is false

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #191
Snikt
Side-Kick

Does anybody esle think
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the "real" Manderin is still out there in the MCU? I just don't see Killian as the leader of the Ten Rings and being behind the events of the first two movies. Just hoping if there is an IM4, Marvel realizes they have more to work with in the Manderin.

What do you guys think?

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #192
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I'm a big Guy Pierce fan and I thought his role was fantastic. So, that alone makes me glad for the twist. :P And I thought it was great how Tony busts in thinking he's going to have this big fight with the Mandarin and it turns out to be a drunken Ben Kingsley. LOVED IT.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #193
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

A poster argued that the Mandarin is the Keyser Soze of the film (in this thread of one of the other two hundred threads on the Mandarin.) I think it is a possibility - one that is reinforced with Black's comments hinting there was more in the film than the twist.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #194
TheFantasticJoe
Side-Kick

Unfortunately, I think the people who believe Ben Kingsley's character is more than what he turned out to be in the movie are in denial. It is what it is, and we're all just going to have to accept that.

TheFantasticJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #195
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Does anybody esle think
the "real" Manderin is still out there in the MCU? I just don't see Killian as the leader of the Ten Rings and being behind the events of the first two movies. Just hoping if there is an IM4, Marvel realizes they have more to work with in the Manderin.

What do you guys think?
Killian was The Mandarin; not only has Shane Black come out and unequivocally said so, everything I've read/heard concerning the movie and the 'twist' involving Kingsley's character makes it pretty clear and obvious

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #196
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Edit:

I just read Black's statement, and well, it was an interesting theory (like the one in Room 237 alleging that 'The Shining' was Kubrick's confession to faking the moon landing.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #197
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Edit:

I just read Black's statement, and well, it was an interesting theory
Somebody needs to look up the definition of the word 'theory'.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #198
ctsketch
Side-Kick

If the director is saying it, it's not a theory.... it's fact

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #199
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Must have missed that part. Was it before or after he went shirtless and showed off his dragon tattoos and proclaimed "I am the Mandarin"?
John Lennon is actually a walrus.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #200
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
If the director is saying it, it's not a theory.... it's fact
A fact that can easily be retconned. Not saying it will, I just really, really hope it is.

Personally, I'm surprised people made a bigger deal out of Dr. Doom. This is Galacticloud levels of character betrayal. While I found it funny and interesting, it was very lame and a waste.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote