The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #76
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game Thread

So a game you'd never think would have a good multiplayer manages to make a truly great multiplayer experience (God of War).

Do you think something like that could be achieved with Spidey as well?

I think Spider-Man games will need to think outside of the box soon. Maybe not multiplayer, but at least something completely different.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it would be extremely cool to have a game where you play missions as Spider-Man villains. Not as a secondary thing, but as the main thing of the game.

Sure, such a game would be sparse on bossfights, but there are several very successful games without bosses.

I'll post the story I have in mind in another post:

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #77
Oscorp
Side-Kick

So, the game is basically a "What if"-story about what would happen to New York if Spidey is defeated and can't protect it. It takes place in an alternate universe. The game starts with a boss fight between Spidey and Venom where you play as Venom. When you defeat him you don't kill him, but we don't know what happens to Spidey more than that the city thinks he's dead and he's not there.

So what will the story be about next? Well, Doc Ock now sees the chance to take over the city. The first mission will be for him to release some super villains from prison. Maybe you play as Chameleon and has to sneak in and stuff. Then when you've done that, there are several missions that Doc Ock has for each of the villains. For example, one could be that Electro has to cause a black out in the city. Then one could be for Shocker to rob banks to get Doc Ock money to build something. And it goes on. Maybe the mob would try to take over the city too and you could have missions of figthing them off or something.

I don't know how the rest would go but it's just an idea. Wouldn't something like that be pretty sweet? Maybe the later part of the game could be that you play as Spider-Man defeating Venom in whatever place he took you to, then returning to the city to defeat Doc Ock.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #78
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

Honestly I think that they should focus on getting spiderman down first and foremost. Amazing had some good points. I liked the controller rumble( I asked for that a number of times),the freeflow(to a degree),and some of the combos and web rush. However there is alot to improve. The web swinging is out dated and hurt the gameplay for me. It zapped so much fun out of going around the city with it's unrealistic cloud swinging and even web rush allowing me to rush in the air(sky rushing?). Spiderman should be extremely acrobatic and I was looking to use web rush to jump and flip in real time not stop and use slow motion every time.

I also miss some aspects of previous games like quick running(Spiderman 2),spiderman 2's webswinging(specifically the speed boost and the bottom) it felt way more realisitic,the combos from games like web of shadows and spiderman 2. I think that freeflow was good but at the same time he could still have some actual combinations or even moves that all depend on the opponents places in the environment.(Think like the path of neo and those combos).

I also hated how webbing has been handled in the current spiderman games. Specficially the shattered dimensions and amazing. The targeting system makes no sense. Spiderman can not aim in front of him or above himself. I think that we need an actual targeting system like the batman games. Players should be able to select where they want to fire their webs. I think it would make the game more dynamic and less generic. He should also be able to create or adjust his shooters for more types of webbing.(String,Wide,web balls,spaghetti,). And the city in Amazing Spiderman sucked. It was so bland.

With all that said I think they should really focus on getting Spiderman down first before trying any multiplayer.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #79
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Yeah I definitely agree with you! They should get Spidey right first. It's just that I'm getting pretty sick of these standard Spidey games now :/

Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #80
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

The Spider-Man games need more than just good web swinging. It needs it's own combat system that isn't a blantant rip off of the Arkham series and it needs side missions a la Spider-Man 3 the game, but more fleshed out and better constructed of course. Randomized street crime with dynamic crimes such as bank robberies. A more detailed city. An interesting, unique, and engrossing storyline that is a decent length. Do a game that isn't a tie in so you can include villians like Doc Ock and GG. Keep the upgrade system, but flesh it out to suit your play styles, so that if you enjoy stealth more, that while indoor levels you can focus and upgrade that. It also always for more replayability, which is also important.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #81
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

I couldn't care less for multiplier in a Spidey game.
Get the main game right, I think the ASM game was great, Shattered Dimensions was alot of fun.

My only really gripes are the cameras, with what Spidey can do the camera can sometimes, especially when in fast combat situations.

A Peter Parker mode would be nice, getting info while at the Bugle, interaction with characters more .. odd RPG elements.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #82
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooksgohan View Post
I also hated how webbing has been handled in the current spiderman games. Specficially the shattered dimensions and amazing. The targeting system makes no sense. Spiderman can not aim in front of him or above himself. I think that we need an actual targeting system like the batman games. Players should be able to select where they want to fire their webs. I think it would make the game more dynamic and less generic. He should also be able to create or adjust his shooters for more types of webbing.(String,Wide,web balls,spaghetti,). And the city in Amazing Spiderman sucked. It was so bland.
I agree on this, I hate how the web goes a few steps away from the highlighted enemy

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #83
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

Or the fact that he can only fire in front of himself(double web thing) when no one else is around. That and web bullet replacing just about every web based moves since spiderman 3. It was cool at first but spiderman has and does use his webs in other ways. I should be able to target manually what I want to hit the web with.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #84
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Among other things, the ASM2 game needs better boss battles. 90% of the bosses in TASM were dull, unimaginative dodge-and-punch bouts. The most memorable (and most fun) battle was with the S0-2 on Oscorp Tower. But Scorpion, Iguana, Vermin, Rhino....all dodge and attack bosses. It got incredibly boring incredibly fast.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #85
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Rhino is my favorite of the cross-species bosses

- ran by great folks
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #86
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
I couldn't care less for multiplier in a Spidey game.
Get the main game right, I think the ASM game was great, Shattered Dimensions was alot of fun.

My only really gripes are the cameras, with what Spidey can do the camera can sometimes, especially when in fast combat situations.

A Peter Parker mode would be nice, getting info while at the Bugle, interaction with characters more .. odd RPG elements.
A Spider-Man film with many RPG elements would a different approach. I'm down for that!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #87
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Or the fact that he can only fire in front of himself(double web thing) when no one else is around. That and web bullet replacing just about every web based moves since spiderman 3. It was cool at first but spiderman has and does use his webs in other ways. I should be able to target manually what I want to hit the web with.
I'd like to see a better targeting system for the webbing. I thought the idea of assigning buttons to the different types of webbing actions would be a good idea too. i.e.

L1 + Triangle = disarm enemy
L1 + Square = web to an enemy's face (this can be upgraded to knock lesser enemies to the ground and the length of time an enemy can remove the webbing from his face)
L1 + X = web several enemies at the same time (can be upgraded to incorporate 'web rodeo' or some other manuevers)
L1 + Circle = Impact webbing (as seen in ASM, if an enemy is close to a wall, he can be webbed to it)

Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #88
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
A Spider-Man film with many RPG elements would a different approach. I'm down for that!
Did you mean video game instead of film?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #89
Victarion
Cut

Spider-Man as an RPG...maybe a MASSIVE New York, with territories populated by gang lackeys and a noteable rogue as the "boss." You'd work your way up from the bottom: Mundane guys like Rose, Silvermane, Hammerhead, Tombstone, Black Tarantual, to Shocker etc. to Electro, Mysterio, Doctor Octopus, Venom and Green Goblin.

This could easily be stretched over multiple games.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #90
SonicWarrior
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I'd like to see a better targeting system for the webbing. I thought the idea of assigning buttons to the different types of webbing actions would be a good idea too. i.e.

L1 + Triangle = disarm enemy
L1 + Square = web to an enemy's face (this can be upgraded to knock lesser enemies to the ground and the length of time an enemy can remove the webbing from his face)
L1 + X = web several enemies at the same time (can be upgraded to incorporate 'web rodeo' or some other manuevers)
L1 + Circle = Impact webbing (as seen in ASM, if an enemy is close to a wall, he can be webbed to it)
What 'bout dem Web Shots, mister-man!?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #91
SonicWarrior
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Spider-Man as an RPG...maybe a MASSIVE New York, with territories populated by gang lackeys and a noteable rogue as the "boss." You'd work your way up from the bottom: Mundane guys like Rose, Silvermane, Hammerhead, Tombstone, Black Tarantual, to Shocker etc. to Electro, Mysterio, Doctor Octopus, Venom and Green Goblin.

Indeed. Sounds like a great idea.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #92
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

@UltimateWebhead. Idk about direct commands. Why not just aim and fire? Why can't I just simply aim at their mouth(maybe in accelerated time) to web an enemy's face? I think some of the commands aren't needed. I think that they need to give him basic commands for general things he can do with his webs(targeting,web cocoon,rodeo) and then have special movements or maybe even analog movements that produce different results. Like for example what if I'm free falling and I aim at the ground and create a web parachute(like superior spiderman).

Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #93
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post

As long as the combat is nothing like JRPG or as heavy as the Elder Scrolls games

- ran by great folks
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #94
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Spider-Man is supposed to move really fast and jump around and stuff. Having to aim manually would ruin that flow unless there's a slow motion effect every time you do it.

I'd much rather have button commands like UWH mentioned.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #95
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

I wish for high profile button like in Assassin's Creed games

- ran by great folks
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #96
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
@UltimateWebhead. Idk about direct commands. Why not just aim and fire? Why can't I just simply aim at their mouth(maybe in accelerated time) to web an enemy's face? I think some of the commands aren't needed. I think that they need to give him basic commands for general things he can do with his webs(targeting,web cocoon,rodeo) and then have special movements or maybe even analog movements that produce different results. Like for example what if I'm free falling and I aim at the ground and create a web parachute(like superior spiderman).
Like Oscorp was saying, to create that type of manual aim to specific areas would be very difficult to incorporate into the flow of the game without using a "bullet time" slow down effect much like Web rush. I like the idea of what you're saying but I just don't know if it's something that can be done without interrupting the organic flow of combat. Web rush is a very good mechanic for giving you the feeling of what it's like to move as fast as Spider-man while also being able to control how accurate you are in the movements. But to not only assign web rush to his movements but also to the webbing would be overkill imo. You'd be using web rush so much that it would ruin the speed of the combat and it's effectiveness. Unless there is a way to build a mechanic that would allow for that type of specific target aiming while also being able to have a smooth, fast flow to the combat, I'd say I don't want it.

I'd prefer the targeting system be improved so that you can easily select which enemy you want to web and then use assigned buttons to direct the webbing. There's only so many buttons on the controller too so you gotta prioritize. I think disarming an enemy is pretty important, so that should def be one. And then, what other specific areas on the enemy's body would you want to hit directly? Besides the face, for obvious reasons, I can't think of another one that would be important. Sure you could justify saying I want to web up his legs or his arms but how important are those versus the face, or disarming, or webbing completely to a surface such as a wall?

It's possible they could implement some other types of mechanics here but given the combat system that's already in place, and probably will mostly stay, cause I can't see them scrapping the design and coming up with something completely new; I would like the buttons assignments.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #97
kbrooksgohan
Side-Kick

For regular movement(while not in combat) targeting would be viable but in free flow combat it would be more fluid and it may be smart to include some slow mo but not something that would break the flow of combat. I think they could take the arkham route. In AC you can target where your sending your gadgets but in freeflow combat it's a little different because it would break the flow of combat if you just stood there and aimed.

So in a nutshell freeflow combat should have different rules or new ways to target but it should still keep the rhythm of combat. I think it's do able. Maybe it would be automatic as long as you tilt the stick in that direction.And perhaps what you mentioned(with the commands) it would give spidey a variety of web options to use. However when your doing stealth or fighting one bad guy it might be fun to web up his legs or web up his hands or face and then take them down.

Also feel like stealth is very bland and too simple to execute. And as far as web rush goes I felt like it had some good elements but it could use some improvement. I would like to see some more of spiderman's acrobatic flips and jumps and interact with the environments more. I feel like Spiderman should be a little bit more flamboyant. Almost like Dante from DMC. The amount of silly moves and awesome combat and gameplay in those games is insane.

Things I would like in upcoming spiderman games:

1.More acrobatics - flipping,jumping(double jumps),tricks,complicated movement.

2.Targeting system - out of combat and a retooled targeting system in combat

3.Spider Sense - more like what Spiderman 2 had with the bullet time but with real time elements as well. It can also sense danger and opponents threat levels(perhaps it could be like Web of shadows when you can sense if someone has a gun etc). And finally real time dodging(dodging bullets like in SM2)

4.Web Swinging SM2 2.0 - an improved sm2 swinging engine with rumble features,a charged jump to increase the speed at the bottom of the swing and a bunch of other upgrades. No cloud swinging! Ever...

5.Combos - I think the freeflow combat looked pretty cool in ASM. I loved the rumble features and some of the moves were actually pretty fun to use and see. However I think that we could still use some combos. I wouldn't mind seeing more elaborate combos that take skill to use.

6.Less restrictions with the environment - I think it's a little weird that I cannot interact with the environments in a believeble way. Like why can't I pick up a trash can? Stuff like that.

7.More Parkour/bouncing off of walls

8. Alternate Costumes - that do what they do in the comics. Example : Scarlet Spider - impact webbing. Captain Universe? - FLYING! Everything he could do in the comics. Just making them skins takes the fun out of playing with them. Especially if there's no differences.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #98
Miles_Morales
Side-Kick

As far as multiplayer... if they were to include it, why not make it a "what-if" scenario with SPIDER ISLAND?

If you dont know, Spider Island is where a large majority of NYC's population suddenly acquire spider powers

As a citizen newly endowed with these powers, you (and i do mean you, this would be amazing for character customization) are tasked with figuring out how you got these powers, and alongside a friend, or four, fight, swing, and sense your way through New York alongside Spider-Man himself, possibly battling major villains such as Doctor Octopus, and taking down those who would wish to use their powers for evil.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #99
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
5.Combos - I think the freeflow combat looked pretty cool in ASM. I loved the rumble features and some of the moves were actually pretty fun to use and see. However I think that we could still use some combos. I wouldn't mind seeing more elaborate combos that take skill to use.
Easily with you on that one

- ran by great folks
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #100
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

the web swinging of spider-man 2, but with today's physics engines

the combat of sleeping dogs, but with greater combo length and complexity

the story quality of batman arkham city

the open world attention to detail of a rockstar/rocksteady game

an upgrade system akin to far cry 3 - multiple areas to invest points in, e.g. webs, fighting, stealth and environment

push the graphics - spidey games have never been known for their visuals and it is a shame.

www.redlettermedia.com
Closed Thread