Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #26
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Default Re: Shailene Woodley IS Mary Jane Watson! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Supermodel Bombshell. That's what I seem to be able to decipher from forum posts at least.
When it comes to looks, I'm fine with Shailene. But I have a hard time believing they have the comic book MJ personality correct. I don't want her to be the cute girl next door like Raimi's MJ

Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #27
Nathan

I doubt they'd make her that. Emma's Gwen already fills the cute girl role.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #28
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

true

Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #29
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

I agree. I think they'll use the two girls to represent two sides to Peter. Gwen is the responsible side, and MJ is the carefree side that encourages Pete to let loose a little more and embrace his powers more than he has.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #30
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I think they'll use the two girls to represent two sides to Peter. Gwen is the responsible side, and MJ is the carefree side that encourages Pete to let loose a little more and embrace his powers more than he has.
My thinking as well.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #31
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
My thinking as well.
I've always thought of you as an extremely intelligent board member.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #32
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I don't want her to be the cute girl next door like Raimi's MJ
I never got a "cute" vibe from Dunst.
She's like the girl in High School you think is hot, until you go to college and realize she is really a 7 at best ... though in Dunst's case more of a 4.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
I agree. I think they'll use the two girls to represent two sides to Peter. Gwen is the responsible side, and MJ is the carefree side that encourages Pete to let loose a little more and embrace his powers more than he has.
Actually, I think it will end up being the other way around as being with Gwen at all is the most irresponsible thing Peter could possible do after what Captain Stacy asked him to do.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #34
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Actually, I think it will end up being the other way around as being with Gwen at all is the most irresponsible thing Peter could possible do after what Captain Stacy asked him to do.
That's not really what I meant. Gwen is the studious responsible girl. MJ is the fun-loving girl with a fast ride. Each a reflection of one side of Peter.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #35
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
That's not really what I meant. Gwen is the studious responsible girl. MJ is the fun-loving girl with a fast ride. Each a reflection of one side of Peter.
I see what you mean.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #36
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I think I started really paying attention to TASM2 when I heard MJ was gonna be in the movie. And when I heard who was playing her, I actually got hyped. Amazing casting so far. And Shai is hot as hell, to me, so I'm expecting a very very good MJ.

Based on the set pics, I speculate we're getting an independent "bad" girl. A person that had to be tough because of her domestic situation, but someone whose more sensitive side is waiting to be discovered and appreciated. She may be a bit envious of Peter's life (a loving aunt and girlfriend), but not in a bad, angsty, love-triangly way.

All in all, I'm excited.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I think I started really paying attention to TASM2 when I heard MJ was gonna be in the movie. And when I heard who was playing her, I actually got hyped. Amazing casting so far. And Shai is hot as hell, to me, so I'm expecting a very very good MJ.

Based on the set pics, I speculate we're getting an independent "bad" girl. A person that had to be tough because of her domestic situation, but someone whose more sensitive side is waiting to be discovered and appreciated. She may be a bit envious of Peter's life (a loving aunt and girlfriend), but not in a bad, angsty, love-triangly way.

All in all, I'm excited.
Well, that's a nice change of pace.

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned, but we know that the pics of Mary Jane that we've seen so far are just of her in causal clothing but what if she actually gets more dressed up later in the movie and actually looks more like a knockout?
No, this has never been mentioned. Dressed up to look like a knockout? lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfalcon View Post
What's the ideal mary jane?
Apparently a human being that resembles an Adam Hughes drawing. Fanbois reprezent.

Quote:
I don't know... I have a feeling that we're still not getting the ideal Mary Jane we have been hoping for

But if the character is interesting I will forgive the movie for making her different
It's a reinterpretation of the character. The exact same thing they did with Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Supermodel Bombshell. That's what I seem to be able to decipher from forum posts at least.
Yup. Pretty much. Character be damned, she needs to look like a comic book drawing!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
Yeah I feel like they definitely have to be opposites almost. They have to be different, and they're going to be. Why add another female character of the same characteristics? Especially MJ.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Someone above said that they wanted to see the 'ideal' Mary Jane show up on screen, so this is directed at that person: There is no 'ideal' Mary Jane Watson. This might be hard for some people to accept, but it's the truth. Were there in fact an 'ideal' version of MJ, we wouldn't have so many different versions of the character.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
Fondue
Side-Kick

I can see where all this reverse Ultimate thing is coming from, but I don't really see it this way. It is like Ultimate in the sense that it modernizes the 616 story, but so did TAS and TSSM, and it's obvious Webb took some things from them or at least was inspired by them.
The way I see it, MJ in TASM2 is in transit between her teenage self (the one I posted a few pages back) and her young adult actress wannabe. Or a journalist, if Webb wants to avoid repeating after Raimi's MJ. It takes some time and experience to shift from one to another. In 616 she was already presented as an independent, ambitious young lady who lived alone, in TASM2 we'll see her father, which means she has to make this transition somewhere along the plot.
And Gwen was given more personality in TASM than in 616 simply because there wasn't much to work with, and the audience was supposed to fall for Gwen hard, so her death would make an impact. Which reminds me, MJ liked and respected Gwen in 616 and was rooting for her and Peter, even though she started developing feelings for him herself, so Gwen's death was very significant for her too. It made both her and Peter mature. I wonder if Webb's going there, I'd love to see this.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

The thing with the Raimi series is they seemed to plan each film as they went along. I think at the start they had a three movie deal, but they only started planning each movie after the last one had finished, in the gap inbetween. It might be an idea to plan out the three movie arc and leave it open for IF there is a fourth movie and ultimately be pushing for one.

What I don't understand about the set pictures is it seems Mary Jane in this iteration is the 'normal girl.' It seems they are going for Ultimate Mary Jane with the personality of Ultimate Gwen (tough baddass chick.) First of all Raimi's MJ seemed like a mixture of Ultimate Mary Jane (Peter had always known her) 616 Gwen (Being the orginal love interest and a softer person) and 616 MJ (career goals.) Gwen in ASM is apparently a mixture of Ultimate Mary Jane and classic Gwen. If two previous characters have already been based Ultimate Mary Jane, isn't it time to give that version of the character a break? We've never seen classic Mary Jane on film. Why are people avoiding it, is it because they feel her character cannot translate well to screen?

Why is it they have to keep mixing characters together, why can't they just do simple adaptions of characters, I doubt it would cause a bad reaction.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Ultimate Mary Jane = Best friend to Peter since young, isn't a party animal, is a journalist. Has a temper but is otherwise calm. She is the girl next door. Peter and her have a close relationship and he reveals early on he is Spider-Man.

Amazing 616 Mary Jane = Introduced as the 'other woman.' Was originally just a temptation for Peter to get inbetween Peter and Gwen's relationship. Works as a supermodel and actress. Hides her pain with a carefree party animal persona.

= Ultimate Gwen. A rebellious and angry girl who gets inbetween Peter and Mary Jane. However never has a romantic relationship with Peter.

= Amazing 616 Gwen. Was the orginal love interest of Peter Parker. A bit of a 'daddy's girl', is into science. Never finds out Peter is Spider-Man, is killed before then.

Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane
= Ultimate Mary Jane due to her looks, short hair. Is like Gwen in being the first love interest, is like 616 Mary Jane by having her career. Is more similar to 616 Gwen in personality but is in fact, not like any of them. Her own entity, created by Sam Raimi. Some say she was based on the 90's TV series of MJ. She also has similarities to Liz Allen.

Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen
= 616 Gwen, due to her look, her interest in science. Is more like 616 MJ due to being 'the other woman.' She worked as a model like 616 Mary Jane, but in the comics Gwen worked as a model too so she is pretty accurate to 616 Gwen apart from being in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Emma Stone as Gwen
= 616 Gwen due to having Gwen's interest in science, being the first love interest of Peter and being similar in personality. More like Ultimate Mary Jane being the girl who knows Peter's secret and being a good friend to Peter before she is a love interest. Is similar to Spectacular Gwen in the TV series that way.

Now logically speaking, adding all of that up and doing the math, technically Shailene as MJ should be playing a mixture of the Spectacular Spider-Man Mary Jane with 616 MJ's role, with a bit of Ultimate Gwen's role thrown in as well. Basically a very edgy streetsmart party girl who potentially gets in the way of Peter and Gwen's relationship. Not to go shallow but I think her look should be based on 616 Mary Jane. We've never had that before on film. It would also feel like the first time we're seeing a different MJ than before.

Last edited by WarriorDreamer; 03-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

!WarriorDreamer great break down! However, shouldn't Shailene's look be based on 616 MJ or Ultimate Gwen. Both Gwens were based off of 616 Gwen in appearance from what you said. Also going off your last sentence, "Not to go shallow but I think her look should be based on 616 Gwen. We've never had that before on film. It would also feel like the first time we're seeing a different MJ than before." However, you mention that both Gwens on film look like 616 in appearance.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
Johnny
Side-Kick

Ultimate MJ is the best. I'm extremely biased towards that version of the character and hope some elements of Shailene's MJ are based on her.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #46
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
!WarriorDreamer great break down! However, shouldn't Shailene's look be based on 616 MJ or Ultimate Gwen. Both Gwens were based off of 616 Gwen in appearance from what you said. Also going off your last sentence, "Not to go shallow but I think her look should be based on 616 Gwen. We've never had that before on film. It would also feel like the first time we're seeing a different MJ than before." However, you mention that both Gwens on film look like 616 in appearance.
Sorry, I corrected it. Her look should be based on 616 MJ. You're right.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #47
Nicko-Ray
"HARRY'S DEAD!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Ultimate MJ is the best. I'm extremely biased towards that version of the character and hope some elements of Shailene's MJ are based on her.
Yeah I like Ultimate MJ a lot too. Hopefully..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #48
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
When it comes to looks, I'm fine with Shailene. But I have a hard time believing they have the comic book MJ personality correct. I don't want her to be the cute girl next door like Raimi's MJ
Why cant they have the comic book personality?

She can still be a troubled girl with a troubled past, that covers it with a wild, rebellious, party girl facade. That part doesn't require Supermodel looks.

Its MJ actually being a model that does and we don't even know if that aspect of her will be featured (likely not). But even then, Shailene has done modeling in real life and looked gorgeous.

Plus, need I remind you that Dunst's MJ did modeling in the Raimi films? Nuff said

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 03-13-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #49
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Why cant they have the comic book personality?

She can still be a troubled girl with a troubled past, that covers it with a wild, rebellious, party girl facade. That part doesn't require Supermodel looks.
This person talks a lot of sense. Listen to him.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Ultimate Gwen dated Peter for a while just FYI

www.redlettermedia.com
Closed Thread