The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #501
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 2

11 years is a lot of time for "stuff" to happen. I'm not saying that anything did happen, but I'm not saying that this didn't happen:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Of course, much less delightful.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #502
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah spitting fireballs was also mighty silly. Why would wings go together with fireballs anyway?
I think it was based on the idea that some insects, such as houseflies, have acidic saliva that they vomit on their food to digest it.

It was also done to make her a bit more threatening and powerful in a battle.

But I didn't like the special effect, with that tar-like goo she was spitting.

However, overall she wasn't a great choice for a key character. Especially since the Angel who was part of the original X-Men was Warren Worthington's bird-winged version, not a woman with insect wings.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #503
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I feel the same. Im really surprised he's out, specially taking into account that Singer has expressed how Nightcrawler is one of his fave x-men, if not his fave, and that he included Azazel because he like the concept of both, a demon looking mutant with teleporting habilities....

Im dissapointed with this, definetly
It's a shame, yes. And there does seem an over-reliance on teleporting mutants in this franchise - there's one in every movie!

It's a useful power as it's instantaneous and means there's no need to use up screentime with other forms of transportation, but I'd like to see other forms of transportation! Magneto, in particular, could move the mutants around in a metal vehicle or on a metal disc or something. In the animated series, it was in a giant metal sphere.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #504
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Perhaps it'll be whoever will play President Nixon. I wonder who it is
The fact that Nixon hasn't been announced yet suggests to me he isn't crucial to the plot, but more of a background/smaller character.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's Xavier who is assassinated (or accidentally killed), as in the animated episode One Man's Worth.

We still don't really know why they have chosen 1973. There must be a reason.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #505
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
According to The Geek Files The Hellfire Club (Azazel, Emma Frost, Riptide, and Angel Salvadore) isn't returning. They could have only cited the characters specifically since the Hellfire club pretty much disbanded at the end of FC, but whatever.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...fire-club.html
I think using the phrase Hellfire Club was just a simple, shorthand way to say that this comic story indeed does not feature that organisation and that therefore anyone connected with it isn't coming back.

In addition, no one really cared about Riptide and Angel Salvadore, and the performance of January Jones was criticised to death on here, so that must be a factor in Singer's decision. In his reveal of the cast picture, he made mention of the awards accrued by the actors, so he is definitely bearing in mind how acclaimed the performers are.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #506
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanreturns View Post
Wonderful news.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #507
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The fact that Nixon hasn't been announced yet suggests to me he isn't crucial to the plot, but more of a background/smaller character.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's Xavier who is assassinated (or accidentally killed), as in the animated episode One Man's Worth.

Maybe Singer could get Anthony Hopkins or Frank Langella to reprise their role.

Singer worked with Frank anyway in Superman Returns, so maybe he could come on board.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #508
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:

I love One Man's Worth. The best time travel story on that series. Really smart use of changed timelines, alternative realities and such. With strong emotions, cool action and a nicely bittersweet ending.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #509
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
11 years is a lot of time for "stuff" to happen. I'm not saying that anything did happen, but I'm not saying that this didn't happen:

I said in another thread they could still do this story line without Azazel being in the film. It would save time showing their "relationship" or whatever if it just starts off with pregnant Mystique. Azazel is gone. Who knows why, maybe Magneto killed him. But as soon as baby Nightcrawler is born we'll know who the father is. It would be a good subplot for Mystique. Pregnant assassin. She could be like Uma in Kill Bill.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #510
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:

Aww, cutest Nightcrawler ever!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #511
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

I do think it's a bit of a shame that there are 11 unexplained years between the end of First Class and the past setting (1973) of DoFP. That feels like a movie we never saw, a story that was never told. For continuity, I'd love to know what became of Emma, Azazel, Angel Salvadore and Riptide.

I get the impression the emphasis of DoFP is clearly on the terrible future and a trip to a pivotal moment in the past in order to change it. The focus is not on the past setting established in First Class, as far as I can see, or we would be picking up the story from the end of First Class. It's the horrible future (with original trilogy actors) that seems to be dictating the story, not the past.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #512
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I said in another thread they could still do this story line without Azazel being in the film. It would save time showing their "relationship" or whatever if it just starts off with pregnant Mystique. Azazel is gone. Who knows why, maybe Magneto killed him. But as soon as baby Nightcrawler is born we'll know who the father is. It would be a good subplot for Mystique. Pregnant assassin. She could be like Uma in Kill Bill.
I definetly agree it could be done.

I will be surprised if Bryan isnt interested in such a different and interesting subplot. He had the build up, with the three characters already introduced, feels like a waste of time and ideas.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #513
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I feel the same. Im really surprised he's out, specially taking into account that Singer has expressed how Nightcrawler is one of his fave x-men, if not his fave, and that he included Azazel because he like the concept of both, a demon looking mutant with teleporting habilities....

Im dissapointed with this, definetly
has anyone thought that maybe the film actually doesn't have that much time placed in the 70s? Most assume it will be like the books where a person(s) from the future comes to the past... but what if it's the other way around?

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #514
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

It was said that most of the film takes place in 1973.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #515
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
It was said that most of the film takes place in 1973.
ive not read the "most" part. They seem to be cramming in alot of future mutants for that not to be much of a focus..

this film has me very excited, but at the same time very nervous. On one hand it could be a great sequel to singers films and fix some inconsistencies over the whole franchise. But on the other hand... if it feels more like an X-men FC sequel.. it's already doing a poor job of it with the 11 year gap and ignoring the stuff that was being set up at the end of FC...

i'd almost prefer this film focus on the OT cast more, and then we later get a proper FC sequel

[=]
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #516
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well Bryan Singer only confirmed part of film takes place In 1973.we don't know how much
takes place In 1973 and how much In future.But,having said that the first class era characters are not traveling to future.

The time travel Is going to be trying to prevent the future with sentinles.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #517
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Well Bryan Singer only confirmed part of film takes place In 1973.we don't know how much
takes place In 1973 and how much In future.But,having said that the first class era characters are not traveling to future.

The time travel Is going to be trying to prevent the future with sentinles.
i still hope for Dazzler.. 1973 is such a missed opportunity to not include her, and the FC team is short a female...

and Singer has indeed said no FC actors will be sent to the future? that's kinda a shame, I think it's more effective for them to understand the future if they see it first hand personally.

im also trying to think of this as a movie perspective... and if what i just said isn't the case, than the only way i really see it effectively working is if the film opens up in DOFP and we see 1 or two mutants in the future escaping into a time jump, and we see them appear in the past with the FC cast... though, that also means those characters who time jump would probably have a decent sized role in the film as well

[=]
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #518
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well, then they'd just be exchanging them for another set of characters who aren't likely to get much development in this busy movie and who don't have any history with the returning main characters, which Banshee and Havok at least do.
Exactly. I hope Singer isn't ditching the rest of the FC crew for another set of new/unknown characters. We have met Banshee, Havoc, and Emma Frost. We already know a little about them. They aren't going to need any kind of introduction/explanation into the story. DOFP can start and they can go right into expanding upon/building up these supporting characters that we already know. IMO it would just be sloppy storytelling to just drop 2/3 of the FC cast of characters because you want to incorperate new characters who, like Mrs Vimes puts it, aren't going to get any significant development.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #519
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I also think that any new character that shows up in this crowded film aside from Peter Dinklage's character (maybe Omar Sy) is almost assuredly going to be in the film only because of his powers. We've had enough of that in the last three films.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #520
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
ive not read the "most" part. They seem to be cramming in alot of future mutants for that not to be much of a focus..

this film has me very excited, but at the same time very nervous. On one hand it could be a great sequel to singers films and fix some inconsistencies over the whole franchise. But on the other hand... if it feels more like an X-men FC sequel.. it's already doing a poor job of it with the 11 year gap and ignoring the stuff that was being set up at the end of FC...

i'd almost prefer this film focus on the OT cast more, and then we later get a proper FC sequel
I am very skeptical of the most film takes place In 1973 report.I have suspecion It's more like cutting back and forth between both time peroids with 1 hour each.

It seems like of remaining roles to be cast most are seconardary roles.They might bring back Mystique for future part and Moira for past.And they may recast Havok and Banshee for past.And someone we know will be playing Nixon.

This film Is starting to look like Bryan Singer Is treating It as both prequel and sequel to his past films and using time travel to do away with elements from Last Stand.

Notice out of returning characters only Beast(Ignoring the X2 easter egg) Is one not In X-Men and X2.while ellen Page Is returning from Last STand
Kitty was In both those films In cameos played by other actresses.And Beast was character Bryan like.Even If banshee and Havok do make the cut they are going to be secondary roles.And If they are cut I seriously doudts they are bringing In Teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm.

With them dropping so many first class actors DOFP could be end of first Class era In series.

Blink most likely Is In the future scenes.Right now we only have 5 actors set for 1973 scenes-The 4 returning first Class actors and Peter Dinklage.Omar Sy and the twillight actor may be playing the new brotherhood members.We could be looking at the remaining cast members being eather new actors as havok and Banshee or new characters to fill their void on X-Men with Beast,whoever Is playing Nixon,and Rebecca Romijn although there Is still a slim possibilty of Rose Byrne returing too.

A reason why james Mcavoy slipped up and said Alan Cumming among returing actors Is he shows up at end of film along with James Marsden and Famke Janssen to show changes have been made.Bryan might consider Nightcrawler disappearing to be one of things that need to be corrected.And of course they wouldn't announce cameos they want to be a surprise.Both bryan and Hugh Jackman publicly denounced any rumor of wolverine being In First Class.Plus one insider claimed to have heard most of actors from Bryan's past X-Men films would be returning.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #521
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Or they're still casting the part and haven't found the right person yet.

Or they've made an offer to someone who could be a bigger name and still waiting to hear back.

Or they're in the midst of negotiations and don't want to spoil it by letting it out too soon.

Or it's a big enough name that they're waiting to announce it last, a common enough practice in Hollywood.

Length of time taking to announce someone =/= the size of the role.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #522
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

i don't see why nixon would play a large role.. i say keep him about as relevant as he was to the Watchman movie... i'd be shocked if he has a large role at all

[=]
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #523
JP
Smelly

If he's a character in the film I'm certain there is a reason for it.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #524
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
If he's a character in the film I'm certain there is a reason for it.
i don't know... if anything Nixon could just be something we see on tv's to set the mood of the era, like Kennedy and the missle crissis was in FC

[=]
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #525
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
i don't know... if anything Nixon could just be something we see on tv's to set the mood of the era
Quote:
Singer : "Part of it takes place in the 1970s. And Richard Nixon’s in it, that’ll be an interesting casting choice… "
http://collider.com/x-men-days-of-fu...-bryan-singer/