The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #851
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
I've never heard anyone ask why movie Batman looks like the Batman we all know, or why movie Spider-Man wears that outfit, or why Iron Man is in that armour.
Perhaps I interpreted your text wrongly but Batman Begins shows, point by point, the "why" of Batman's looks, and the "how" too. Ditto for Iron Man.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #852
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Perhaps I interpreted your text wrongly but Batman Begins shows, point by point, the "why" of Batman's looks, and the "how" too. Ditto for Iron Man.
You didn't interpet it wrongly, you never read it properly!

I said:
Quote:
It helps a little that the films usually explain the costume somehow

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #853
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Since I am a film geek above all, a comic book movie doesn't need to be a slave to the source material for me to like or even love it. For me it's more about respecting the source material than simply mimicking it.

Infact one thing that makes me such a fan of comic book movies is how so much of the material out there has both huge cinematic potential AND is adaptable in so many different ways. That's what makes them so interesting following the production of.

And there should always be room to embrace more than one way of doing something. Some people seem so dead set on one way, that nothing else will due.

Sorry for a bit off topic, but the latest discussion got me thinking about this.

And about the costumes. Explaining or not, faithful or not etc. It all depends on context for me (like with most things, nothing is just simply black and white, good or bad). In the world BB paints it makes total sense to explain the costume. In other worlds it might not be important at all.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #854
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Since I am a film geek above all, a comic book movie doesn't need to be a slave to the source material for me to like or even love it. For me it's more about respecting the source material than simply mimicking it.

Infact one thing that makes me such a fan of comic book movies is how so much of the material out there has both huge cinematic potential AND is adaptable in so many different ways. That's what makes them so interesting following the production of.

And there should always be room to embrace more than one way of doing something. Some people seem so dead set on one way, that nothing else will due.

Sorry for a bit off topic, but the latest discussion got me thinking about this.

And about the costumes. Explaining or not, faithful or not etc. It all depends on context for me (like with most things, nothing is just simply black and white, good or bad). In the world BB paints it makes total sense to explain the costume. In other worlds it might not be important at all.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I hate when people complain that a movie wasn't a shot for shot remake of the comic panels. It just irks me because there's absolutely no creativity or good direction in that at all!

I also hate when people qualify a superhero movie with "I hope it's a god comic book movie." Why can't it just be a good movie period?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #855
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I think there's a difference between wanting a panel by panel take on being comic accurate, and just wanting the major stories and plot points, as well as characterizations to be on spot.

that's essentially what the MCU films have been doing. And they've been great.

change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #856
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It's pretty clear we're getting bulletin points with this rather than a straight up adaptation, so that's a good sign.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #857
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I think there's a difference between wanting a panel by panel take on being comic accurate, and just wanting the major stories and plot points, as well as characterizations to be on spot.

^^^ That's what is needed. Respecting the source material.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #858
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
It's pretty clear we're getting bulletin points with this rather than a straight up adaptation, so that's a good sign.
i don't know... right now we only really know

"there's time travel" and "sentinels" that fit in line with the comic

we don't know which time period it takes place mostly in, if what needs changed is an assassination attempt, who's time traveling to where, etc..

I don't think we have too many bulletin points yet.. and I expect this to be a very loose adaptation like all of the FOX marvel films have been.

[=]
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #859
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
^^^ That's what is needed. Respecting the source material.
yeah, there's some things that just simply shouldn't be changed that shape so much of the future...

it's like... Norman Osborn "needs" to kill Gwen Stacy.... i'd prefer a bridge, but Norman is far more important. If it's Electro and "shock therapy" than....... yeah no that's not the same impact.

I think in general... Origin's just don't exactly stop with the first issue... that's only a chunk of what shapes these comic characters into the people we now know them to be. It's not a "one-off" and suddenly they no longer have to grow.

The X-men Origin with the first class is also only just the tip of the iceberg... it's also the inclusion of the Phoenix Saga, Havok, Rogues twisted history, the family bonds, Giant Sized X-men, etc... that shape these characters.

I think Fox kinda shot themselves in the foot with that aspect. You miss out on alot of integral characterization. Having an actor be given the name of the hero and the abilities... is no where near enough.

[=]
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #860
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post

Agreed.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #861
NanaT
X-Men United!

Has anyone been looking at the imdb boards because I've found some interesting stuff. Please note that there are potential spoilers for both DoFp and The Wolverine.

Basically this imdb poster says that he/she has a contact with the movie. Take everything with a grain of salt.

A friend of mine who is a hair stylist, although not up there, knows someone who is and did Famke's hair in The Wolverine. She is returning as White Phoenix of the Crown. She also has her booked for DOFP along with Anna and Halle. I asked her if she knew about James Marsden, but that they have only let her read parts of Famke's, Anna's, and Halle's role to get an idea of what hair styles she needs, so she has no idea if he is in the film. Storm may get the Mohawk, but it's in competition with another look; I didn't ask her what the other look is though According to her scene in The Wolverine it is a set up for Wolverine in DOFP. Although, she says that at first she thinks it was set up for a third Wolverine movie, but that it works fine as a lead in to DOFP as well. Basically, Wolverine does become mortal and fights till his death against Silver Samurai. Once dead Jean comes back in full fire bird form as White Phoenix of the Crown and kills Silver Samurai and brings back Wolverine. Wolverine is in shock and begins to caress her face (shown in the trailer) because he cannot believe he is seeing her again. She tells him he has some unfinished business. That unfinished business is obviously a tie in for DOFP, but at the same time it could have been a reference for a third Wolverine film I tried asking about the role of Jean in DOFP, but she did not say nothing (I found this fishy). She did give vague responses on Storm and Rogue. Saying that Storm is still the leader of the X-men and they're trying to look for a fierce look (mohawk or other contender) and that Rogue will have her abilities as that in the comic thanks to the cure messing up with her mutant genes/powers

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1877832/board/flat/212603810

I don't know what to make of it. Could be true could be a bunch of lies but we'll probably find out this July. If what it says about the ending of wolverine comes to fruition then it adds weight to the other things said if it isn't true then it debunks this entirely.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER

Last edited by NanaT; 04-01-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #862
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I always take those things as a load of bull pop.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #863
NanaT
X-Men United!

^Yep It probably is but I hope to God that at least some of it is true.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #864
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

some have said why wouldn't wolverine be the one to defeat Silver Samurai and i have to agree that would be odd

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #865
psyonic
X-Man

It could be true.. they need a way to connect The Wolverine to DoFP. I guess we'll know in a few months..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #866
Double B
Side-Kick

They aren't getting all mythological 'White Phoenix of the Crown' in The Wolverine. For one, it overpowers Jean way too much, and two, it doesn't fit how they, shamefully, established Phoenix in X3.

And The Wolverine is Jackman's film. They'd not have such a dues ex machina ending. It's robbing Wolverine of the climax of his own film.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #867
ctsketch
Side-Kick

ehhhh most of that sounds like BS

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #868
J.Howlett

Gotta love X-Men movie universe continuity. It's all over the place. I am curious to see how Bryan Singer rectifies everything to that the future X-Men films can move forward smoothly.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #869
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Yeah, time to take the cold, sober reality pills people. It's April Fools and that is clearly one load of bs.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #870
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
They aren't getting all mythological 'White Phoenix of the Crown' in The Wolverine. For one, it overpowers Jean way too much, and two, it doesn't fit how they, shamefully, established Phoenix in X3.

And The Wolverine is Jackman's film. They'd not have such a dues ex machina ending. It's robbing Wolverine of the climax of his own film.
i don't think WCP is any more out of the realm of possibility than Xavier transferring his conscious mind into another body. Instead of WCP i'd just say her mental existence still exists on an astral plane.

[=]
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #871
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Has anyone been looking at the imdb boards because I've found some interesting stuff. Please note that there are potential spoilers for both DoFp and The Wolverine.

Basically this imdb poster says that he/she has a contact with the movie. Take everything with a grain of salt.

A friend of mine who is a hair stylist, although not up there, knows someone who is and did Famke's hair in The Wolverine. She is returning as White Phoenix of the Crown. She also has her booked for DOFP along with Anna and Halle. I asked her if she knew about James Marsden, but that they have only let her read parts of Famke's, Anna's, and Halle's role to get an idea of what hair styles she needs, so she has no idea if he is in the film. Storm may get the Mohawk, but it's in competition with another look; I didn't ask her what the other look is though According to her scene in The Wolverine it is a set up for Wolverine in DOFP. Although, she says that at first she thinks it was set up for a third Wolverine movie, but that it works fine as a lead in to DOFP as well. Basically, Wolverine does become mortal and fights till his death against Silver Samurai. Once dead Jean comes back in full fire bird form as White Phoenix of the Crown and kills Silver Samurai and brings back Wolverine. Wolverine is in shock and begins to caress her face (shown in the trailer) because he cannot believe he is seeing her again. She tells him he has some unfinished business. That unfinished business is obviously a tie in for DOFP, but at the same time it could have been a reference for a third Wolverine film I tried asking about the role of Jean in DOFP, but she did not say nothing (I found this fishy). She did give vague responses on Storm and Rogue. Saying that Storm is still the leader of the X-men and they're trying to look for a fierce look (mohawk or other contender) and that Rogue will have her abilities as that in the comic thanks to the cure messing up with her mutant genes/powers

I don't know what to make of it. Could be true could be a bunch of lies but we'll probably find out this July. If what it says about the ending of wolverine comes to fruition then it adds weight to the other things said if it isn't true then it debunks this entirely.
I sort of hope none of the stuff about Jean Grey in The Wolverine is true.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #872
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

It's bs

Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #873
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post

Thankfully that's from a poster on IMDB...which means it's fake, because some of that sounds terrible.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #874
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

id love to believe it, but.... you can't believe anything today unfortunately.

[=]
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #875
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

But it's the internet. You can trust everyone and everything. Says so in a commercial.

Closed Thread