Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #126
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
So many tidbits of news in the past few days. Come on, Singer - give us a tweet to confirm it all!
Even if its true, Bryan Singer won't reveal it until next year or after the movie is released. Right now, its too early to confirm which new characters are going to be in the movie.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #127
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
So I take it that quote about time displacement basically means the new will replace the old?
I read it to mean that there is no physical time travel.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #128
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Even if its true, Bryan Singer won't reveal it until next year or after the movie is released. Right now, its too early to confirm which new characters are going to be in the movie.
It was a playful comment - don't take the internet so seriously.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #129
JP
Smelly

Singer has been saying "a form" of time travel for a while now. I highly doubt it's going to be a cut and past as a physical time travel.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #130
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
It was a playful comment - don't take the internet so seriously.

LOL. I don't.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #131
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I read it to mean that there is no physical time travel.
Yeah, I dont know. I'm far from a science expert but that quote doesnt really make sense to me, I believe time displacement is still considered a form of physical time travel. Could be like a portal somone passes through or anything really. Even for groups of people. Thought it meant kinda more accidental or like a one way ticket type incident that changes the old to new. I'm looking to much into it haha and don't know enough about that stuff.

I think they will do the mind transfer thing myself.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #132
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Yeah, I dont know. I'm far from a science expert but that quote doesnt really make sense to me, I believe time displacement is still considered a form of physical time travel. Could be like a portal somone passes through or anything really. Even for groups of people. Thought it meant kinda more accidental or like a one way ticket type incident that changes the old to new. I'm looking to much into it haha and don't know enough about that stuff.

That's what I believe too, so I'm not sure why Singer's making the distinction

Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #133
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
That's what I believe too, so I'm not sure why Singer's making the distinction
Yeah, I think he used the wrong words. Or is extremely limited on what he can hint at cause those are basically the same thing.

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #134
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

An X-Men film with Apocalypse as the main villain would be awesome. But I don't necessarily want a straight "Age of Apocalypse" adaptation with more time travel, Xavier dead etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #135
JP
Smelly

Quote:

I think they're gonna stick to the mind transfer like in the comic and in the last animated series. Not a physical travel, and goes in line with what Singer said about

Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #136
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
This transportation of physical matter to another space is not beyond movie-Xavier's ability. Remember at the conclusion of X2, he transported everyone on the X-Jet to the physical placement of the Oval Office to speak with the President? He either did this somehow literally or via a vision with the President allowing everyone else to participate (with Storm manipulating weather, Rogue delivering plans and Hugh speaking, etc.,). X3 showed he has the ability to transport his consciousness to his comatose brother. If Bryan is going to take X3 into account, he could totally use his powers to move his entire time to the past...
If Xavier has an ability to literally transport physical matter, why wouldn't he just move everyone out of the jet into safety when the dam was breaking down? Without the need for Jean to sacrifice herself? And if it's visions, then I'd assume that the vision of the team would just be in the President's head, rather than some actual apparition that anyone would be able to see and which could actually impact the physical world.

Quote:
Yeah, I dont know. I'm far from a science expert but that quote doesnt really make sense to me, I believe time displacement is still considered a form of physical time travel. Could be like a portal somone passes through or anything really.
I'd think that going through a portal would be pretty straightforward time travel, actually.

I've no idea what time displacement means; maybe it's about finding yourself in the wrong time without having physically time-travelled, and maybe without intending to?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #137
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I'd think that going through a portal would be pretty straightforward time travel, actually.

I've no idea what time displacement means; maybe it's about finding yourself in the wrong time without having physically time-travelled, and maybe without intending to?
Time displacement is time travel though. So traveling through a portal say Evil Dead 2 or Army Of Darkness style would still be considered time displacement. It doesn't limit to physical or portal travel or anything like that. Both could be anything. At least from what I've looked up and seen in films, nothing has said time displacement is non physical time travel.

In Terminator they use equipment thats even called TDE (Time Displacement Equipment) that allows living things to be sent back.

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #138
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I guess we just don't know what time displacement means to Singer.

But if he's using "time displacement" to somehow differentiate it from "time travel", it could be that he means non-physical time travel simply because that's the most common depiction of time travel in fiction.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #139
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I guess we just don't know what time displacement means to Singer.

But if he's using "time displacement" to somehow differentiate it from "time travel", it could be that he means non-physical time travel simply because that's the most common depiction of time travel in fiction.
Oh yeah I agree, I think that was what he intended. Could mean alot of things though. Time displacement doesn't limit physical things from going back. Thats not its definition or rule. Like you said, we don't know what his personal definition could mean.

In the case of Terminator I know it's a one way trip there, so maybe that means something too. Your stuck once you go back.

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #140
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Singer has been saying "a form" of time travel for a while now. I highly doubt it's going to be a cut and past as a physical time travel.
Displacement sounds to me like one or more characters find themselves swept into the past or future.

Travel sounds like a deliberate choice or action (like stepping into a time machine), whereas displacement could happen to people without them having direct control over it.

I love the mystery (although I'd love to know what is actually going to happen) and I love it that we can't just figure it all out easily.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #141
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I know some of us have been speculating that only Kitty, Xavier, etc. may be the travelers. But it's totally possible that Xavier may somehow transport ALL of the OT members (Logan, Storm, Rogue, Kitty, Magneto and himself) to the past.
Allow me to explain:

This transportation of physical matter to another space is not beyond movie-Xavier's ability. Remember at the conclusion of X2, he transported everyone on the X-Jet to the physical placement of the Oval Office to speak with the President? He either did this somehow literally or via a vision with the President allowing everyone else to participate (with Storm manipulating weather, Rogue delivering plans and Hugh speaking, etc.,). X3 showed he has the ability to transport his consciousness to his comatose brother. If Bryan is going to take X3 into account, he could totally use his powers to move his entire time to the past...
I don't think Xavier physically transported everyone into the Oval Office. He froze people's minds (like he did in the museum) so the X-Men could arrive and leave without anyone knowing (just as they left the museum before everyone else returned to normal).

Xavier does not have mind over matter powers. His consciousness isn't matter, it's his 'soul'. It was astral projection.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #142
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't think Xavier physically transported everyone into the Oval Office. He froze people's minds (like he did in the museum) so the X-Men could arrive and leave without anyone knowing (just as they left the museum before everyone else returned to normal).

Xavier does not have mind over matter powers. His consciousness isn't matter, it's his 'soul'. It was astral projection.
Yeah I never got the impression that Xavier physically transported the group into the Oval office, just used the appropriate mental trickery needed for them to slip in and out unnoticed.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #143
narrows101
Side-Kick

Halle talks about the movie at 2:32.

http://collider.com/halle-berry-the-...w/#more-238205

Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #144
narrows101
Side-Kick

Cumming speaks:
Quote:
If Alan Cumming Is In 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' It's News To Alan Cumming
by Kevin Jagernauth
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...mming-20130313

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #145
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I'm not mad that Nightcrawler's not in this.. This cast is loaded enough as is. All this means is a potential open slot for someone we haven't seen before, or a return of a more integral character of the OT.
I'm not either. Call be racist against blue furries but I think Nightcrawler's extended role as the caring guy for the Time Traveler / awkward Danger Room player will be assigned to our own Hoult from FC. He has a strong hand in constructing the Danger Room, ergo his role most likely not have him participate so much in the actual simulation -- so one misstep of his (Nightcrawler messes up on operating duty in the comics) leads to this entire temporal anomaly. Beast making a techincal mistake is itself an anomaly.

I don't know what I'm saying anymore I'm just trying to sound convincing that Nightcrawler's absence will be filled in by Beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Yeah, I want the next purely FC film to be the origin of the Scott/Jean/Ororo team
Same here. Scott, Jean, Ororo, Beast -- the only 2 missing would be Angel and Ice-Man. Damn it.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #146
Great Mind(s)
Broken

They could have another movie with Scott, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel. Totally. Set in the alternate X4 universe...

Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #147
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

For all we know, it could lead up to that, yes.

I personally don't want them to be lazy about the continuity parallels though. It shouldn't simply end with an entirely new canvas left for yet another FC movie to be made.

What could the future of the franchise look like?

Right now we have 3 running series:

X1, X2, X3
Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine
And FC

if things stick to one continuity it'd mean
X4,
another stand-alone character piece
FC 2

Ideally speaking, Days of Future Past is essentially bringing those three into one movie. So it is X4, FC 2 and Wolverine 3.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #148
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
For all we know, it could lead up to that, yes.

I personally don't want them to be lazy about the continuity parallels though. It shouldn't simply end with an entirely new canvas left for yet another FC movie to be made.

What could the future of the franchise look like?

Right now we have 3 running series:

X1, X2, X3
Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine
And FC

if things stick to one continuity it'd mean
X4,
another stand-alone character piece
FC 2

Ideally speaking, Days of Future Past is essentially bringing those three into one movie. So it is X4, FC 2 and Wolverine 3.
Essentially. Then we can have another solo FC and and "X4" sequel, maybe Fantastic Four and then lead into another crossover. Age of Apocalypse? Maybe DOFP will open a new franchise set in the far future with Cable and Bishop or something too.

I don't see Wolverine appearing again until another X-Men movie. Unless The Wolverine introduces Daken or X-23 or a whole mess of new stories to take his own series...

Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #149
phoenix77

wolverine could be used in the Avengers movies as well, so that we could have more chance to see a longer time on the screen the other mutants in the next x-men movies.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #150
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix77 View Post
wolverine could be used in the Avengers movies as well, so that we could have more chance to see a longer time on the screen the other mutants in the next x-men movies.
I'm not sure that Fox would let its Wolverine off the lead to go Avenging...