The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #301
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
So Marvel fans are less hungry? Don't think that's the case.
Maybe they both start out just as hungry, but Marvel fans get regular meals, while DC fans don't. Nolan's been in charge of two of the three big DC superhero projects from the last few years (the other one being GL), and the guy's attitude is "You'll wait for it, and you'll like it that way". It's like Marvel fans have cool, permissive hippie parents that drive them around in their motorcycle sidecars, while DC fans' parents are buzz-cut army vets who never let them drink Coke and send them to bed at 7 pm, even if it's still light out.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #302
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Why do people have to hype up DC Movies by slating Marvels films?
I personally think Iron Man 3 will be awesome.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #303
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah i'll never understand the need for it to be some massive black and white competition.

I like Superhero movies. I like ALL of them.
So do I (well most of them) I'm happy that we're getting all sorts of comic book movies

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #304
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
I personally think Iron Man 3 will be awesome.
So do I that last trailer got me pumped

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #305
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I like ALL of them.
Steel and Catwoman too?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #306
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I think Iron Man 3 looks really good...but this is the fourth film to feature Iron Man in the past 6 years.
I will never understand the notion that because it's the third or fourth film in the franchise, it has less stuff to offer. I think the opposite. Much like the comics themselves, sequels/continuations offer more to explore about the character and their worlds than the first film in a series would. This being the third film, Shane Black can go to places with Tony's character that a David Goyer can not, being trapped in the superhero origin template that all superhero films have followed so far. Look at X-men for a better example; the fifth film in the franchise (seventh if you count Wolverine one and two) and it's attempting the most ambitious storyline ever put to superhero cinema. Threequels and beyond, especially comic book threequels and beyond have more to offer than the origins folks.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #307
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Steel and Catwoman too?

Well...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #308
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #309
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Why do people have to hype up DC Movies by slating Marvels films?
It's rooted in the rivalry between fans of each company. Many tend to bad mouth the comics from the opposite company and that spills over into their views on the opposite company's movies.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #310
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

It's not just one brand bashing another anymore. There are factions within the Marvel brand too; those who love Marvel Studios and those who don't. I've seen a lot of posters on the X-men boards hate on Marvel Studios.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #311
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

I'm more a DC guy but I'm by no means anti-Marvel. I'd describe myself as a self-loathing DC fan more than anything lol.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #312
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I've always like saying in my head "Make Mine Marvel", I am more of a Marvel guy but I love DC too. Both are great universes! I'm super excited about Man of Steel!

I just tire of the drought of info...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #313
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I will never understand the notion that because it's the third or fourth film in the franchise, it has less stuff to offer. I think the opposite. Much like the comics themselves, sequels/continuations offer more to explore about the character and their worlds than the first film in a series would. This being the third film, Shane Black can go to places with Tony's character that a David Goyer can not, being trapped in the superhero origin template that all superhero films have followed so far. Look at X-men for a better example; the fifth film in the franchise (seventh if you count Wolverine one and two) and it's attempting the most ambitious storyline ever put to superhero cinema. Threequels and beyond, especially comic book threequels and beyond have more to offer than the origins folks.
I never said the franchise was running dry on ideas. I'm simply looking at it from a perspective of how "fresh" or not it may seem compared to Man of Steel. RDJ as Tony Stark is something that's becoming a bit taken for granted, that's all. It's not like it's been a long wait since he last donned the armor and there's this huge anticipation. He does pretty much every other year, and this time it's back to back years. And also, Iron Man 2 pretty much dropped the ball when it came to capitalizing on the great potential for superhero sequels.

That said, I think Iron Man 3 looks like a great movie that will be leagues better than Iron Man 2 and should easily be a huge hit.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #314
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I am also more of a DC guy. Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Wally West are my pinnacle. But that doesn't mean I dislike Marvel at all. In fact I love a lot of Marvel stuff. I read and enjoy whatever I find enjoyable. I watched both the X-Men animated series and the DCAU. New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, The Ultimates 1&2, Simonson and Straczynski Thor runs, are on my all time list. Thor, Kitty, Logan and Rogers are in my top 10 favorite comic heroes.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #315
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Kitty is one of my favorites too. Strangely though, I never liked her all that much before Joss Whedon wrote her.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #316
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

What the hell is Marvel???

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #317
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
An amazing fantasy.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #318
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Kitty is one of my favorites too. Strangely though, I never liked her all that much before Joss Whedon wrote her.
Loved her since reading the Kitty/Wolverine series. Was lucky enough to have a friend whose father collected. Joss just made it better with Astonishing. Hell, he made pretty much everything better with Astonishing.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #319
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men is my second favorite comic run this century (much better than its predecessor New X-men), the first being the obvious.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #320
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men is my second favorite comic run this century (much better than its predecessor New X-men), the first being the obvious.
All-Star Superman right. Right?!?!?!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #321
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Well, in a lot of aspects, people are rooting a little bit more to see MOS footage because it is, after all, something new. Iron Man 3 looks great and I'm sure it will be the best of the three, but we've seen the character 3 times already. We know how that universe is.

Man of Steel, on the other hand, is different in that sense. So I don't think is fair to compare. For me, I hope every movie (whether is Marvel's or DC's) to be successful. Simply because I like movies, and I don't want any movie that I'm waiting for to be bad.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #322
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Big guy...wears red...has a small cape....talks like Gomer Pyle.......

Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #323
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Ashamedly I only managed to get to that a couple of months ago and i was blown away, it did not disappoint even with the immense hype surrounding it. What's the first?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #324
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Big guy...wears red...has a small cape....talks like Gomer Pyle.......
Like Gomer Pyle? Shazam!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #325
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

I couldn't possibly be a Marvel guy over a DC guy...not with all the great Vertigo stuff out there, Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Fables etc etc. Those were basically the comics that got me obsessed with the medium at 13-14, by association I guess i subconsiously will always root for Superman/Batman over a Marvel property, but aside from that I genuinely have more excitement for MoS, and this is coming from someone who has never liked a Zack Snyder film and basically worships Shane Black. So it's saying a lot.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Closed Thread