The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #126
gomez147
You're not just anyone
 
gomez147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 660
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Take away the green intro and it fits. Well, in any case, I bet it's nothing new or if it is, it's not at all exciting.
I already took away the green intro! I have hopes!

Anyway, I would appreciate any kind of footage, I don't care if it's action-packed or not

gomez147 is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #127
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez147 View Post
I have hopes!
Thats nice. It fits the subject matter. Just...keep that hope under control...

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #128
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,886
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It isn't a problem. It is simply the lack of acknowledgment do to wanting to dissociate with anything that came before this film. It would be like if someone went around saying this isn't a Superman film. Why? Because they say it isn't.
Maybe there's a lack of acknowledgement because it's obvious and doesn't mean much. So both movies have Zod. Like you said, it's only on the surface.

If anything, maybe Donner and Goyer shared the same logic to start the movie in Krypton. The difference seems to be that Goyer is going further into the Kryptonian world.

It wouldn't make sense to use Brainiac because with Zod you have Jor-El's legacy and a foil of what Superman could be if he wasn't raised by the Kents. Zod makes more sense for the origin story.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #129
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,382
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Maybe there's a lack of acknowledgement because it's obvious and doesn't mean much. So both movies have Zod. Like you said, it's only on the surface.

If anything, maybe Donner and Goyer shared the same logic to start the movie in Krypton. The difference seems to be that Goyer is going further into the Kryptonian world.

It wouldn't make sense to use Brainiac because with Zod you have Jor-El's legacy and a foil of what Superman could be if he wasn't raised by the Kents. Zod makes more sense for the origin story.
Well you could have used Brainiac on some level and made him part of Kryptonian lore. They didnt HAVE to use Zod, nore did they have to add Faora and Bizzaro/Eradicator Non creature/bot.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #130
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Maybe there's a lack of acknowledgement because it's obvious and doesn't mean much. So both movies have Zod. Like you said, it's only on the surface.

If anything, maybe Donner and Goyer shared the same logic to start the movie in Krypton. The difference seems to be that Goyer is going further into the Kryptonian world.

It wouldn't make sense to use Brainiac because with Zod you have Jor-El's legacy and a foil of what Superman could be if he wasn't raised by the Kents. Zod makes more sense for the origin story.
So when the reboot Batman if they do the origin again and use Ra's again, and base it around the LoS/A attacking Gotham, it will not mean much.

Yeah, I am going to say no.

By the way, you could easily make Brainiac a part of the origin. The brilliant STAS did just that.

Again not a problem. I think this movie has a ton of potential. But I don't ignore the obvious because I can't handle anyone questioning any little bit the new film.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #131
Simo
Side-Kick
 
Simo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
New "Man of Steel" teaser has been rated.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/man-steel

MAN OF STEEL

TYPE Trailer

APPROVED RUNNING TIME 1m 23s

DIRECTORS Zack Snyder

CUT This work was passed uncut.

Classified date(s) 11/03/2013



Seems to be a teaser for a trailer. Probably similar to the Star Trek Into Darkness teaser
Share others sentiments that it's most likely the original teaser reclassified for a WB home release. If it's something else and might be released outside the UK we'll find out in a couple of days...

Simo is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #132
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Well you could have used Brainiac on some level and made him part of Kryptonian lore. They didnt HAVE to use Zod, nore did they have to add Faora and Bizzaro/Eradicator Non creature/bot.
It is a rule. Zod must travel in three, and one must be a very attractive woman who can crush you.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #133
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
By the way, you could easily make Brainiac a part of the origin. The brilliant STAS did just that.
Yeah, I loved that... I'm still hoping that Brainiac will be set up in this film for a future sequel.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #134
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,886
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So when the reboot Batman if they do the origin again and use Ra's again, and base it around the LoS/A attacking Gotham, it will not mean much.
Yup, assuming they'll retread his origins.

Quote:
By the way, you could easily make Brainiac a part of the origin. The brilliant STAS did just that.
STAS also had Zod, but they used Jax-Ur's name instead. The characterization was Zod.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
DC Rises

Last edited by fanboiii; 03-12-2013 at 08:05 PM.
fanboiii is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #135
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Yup, assuming they'll retread his origins.

STAS also had Zod, but they used Jax-Ur's name instead. The characterization was Zod.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
And if all the other bits are included? You just skip what doesn't fit your argument. Lets just ignore Ra's.

Also don't know why you brought up Jax-Ur. The entire point is you can do an origin with Brainiac and without Zod. If anything fake Zod proves my point. You can still use him down the line without having to include him as the main villain of the origin film.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #136
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,458
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
New "Man of Steel" teaser has been rated.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/man-steel

MAN OF STEEL

TYPE Trailer

APPROVED RUNNING TIME 1m 23s

DIRECTORS Zack Snyder

CUT This work was passed uncut.

Classified date(s) 11/03/2013



Seems to be a teaser for a trailer. Probably similar to the Star Trek Into Darkness teaser
My body is ready.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
in the midnight hour she cried mo mo moa
With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #137
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,113
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can cover the same plot points but in different ways. Krypton can explode for different reasons. Johnathan can die in a tornado rather than with a heart attack. His relationship with Lois and the world can be different. He can defeat Zod in a different way rather than tricking Zod while he's safe in the molecule chamber, etc. To me that's what's important. But I do expect some of the beats to be the same.

I, too, orignally hoped for Braniac.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #138
moviefreak
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 269
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Incidentally, Puzo's Superman TM script was supposedly faithful to the comic especially with regards to the Krypton villains including Jax-Ur, Faora et a., and they were only revised later on to Zod, Ursa, Non after Donner came on board.

moviefreak is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #139
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,665
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Superman: Unchained has a strong chance to be a very good Superman book.
That's the only upcoming DC title I'm really amped for at the moment, tbh.

As for that trailer, I have a feeling people are right that's just the teaser we already had, cut for a home video release.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #140
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,886
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The entire point is you can do an origin with Brainiac and without Zod. If anything fake Zod proves my point. You can still use him down the line without having to include him as the main villain of the origin film.
You can also use Brainiac down the line.

But as I was saying, narratively Zod offers more in terms of story-telling for the origin.

Zod has a direct connection to Jor-El and Krypton's homeworld. He's a foil of what Superman could be with his powers. He plays into the "first encounter" scenario with the threat of an invasion. He introduces The Phantom Zone as well as other Kryptonian characters including possibly Brainiac.

If you're going to start with Krypton, Zod is an earlier character than Brainiac. Thematically, Brainiac represents something different that wouldn't work as well for an origin. Brainiac is more about the end of things.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #141
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 7,266
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hail Brainiac!

I dunno why I said that I would just be so ecstatic to get him/her/it on the big screen. I like how much of Kyptonian tech seems to be appearing in MOS so I'm hopeful to having the character in a future film.

__________________
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 7/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - ????
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #142
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision
 
DyeLorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,959
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Sorry for going offtopic, but where is that gif from?

DyeLorean is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #143
Mikelus
Islander
 
Mikelus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: France
Posts: 2,719
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
You can also use Brainiac down the line.

But as I was saying, narratively Zod offers more in terms of story-telling for the origin.

Zod has a direct connection to Jor-El and Krypton's homeworld. He's a foil of what Superman could be with his powers. He plays into the "first encounter" scenario with the threat of an invasion. He introduces The Phantom Zone as well as other Kryptonian characters including possibly Brainiac.

If you're going to start with Krypton, Zod is an earlier character than Brainiac. Thematically, Brainiac represents something different that wouldn't work as well for an origin. Brainiac is more about the end of things.
Agreed, Brainiac is a colder, more limited character, Zod is the best villain for this story. Is better to use Brainiac in a sequel along with Lex, but it seems some need to complain about something.

Mikelus is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #144
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
Agreed, Brainiac is a colder, more limited character, Zod is the best villain for this story. Is better to use Brainiac in a sequel along with Lex, but it seems some need to complain about something.
I don't think anyone is complaining about Zod.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #145
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,641
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Batman and Spider-Man are my top two, with Superman being the third. Mainly due to his cultural significance and origins, which is a central part. Though I think Man of Steel will go a long way in making me like the character more than I do. And I donít have any loyalty to the previous film series. I more appreciate STM than like it. So if there are covering old territory, eg. Zod, Iím sure MOS can do things better second time around and differently.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #146
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
You can also use Brainiac down the line.

But as I was saying, narratively Zod offers more in terms of story-telling for the origin.

Zod has a direct connection to Jor-El and Krypton's homeworld. He's a foil of what Superman could be with his powers. He plays into the "first encounter" scenario with the threat of an invasion. He introduces The Phantom Zone as well as other Kryptonian characters including possibly Brainiac.

If you're going to start with Krypton, Zod is an earlier character than Brainiac. Thematically, Brainiac represents something different that wouldn't work as well for an origin. Brainiac is more about the end of things.
That isn't the point and you know it. The point is they have decided to do exactly what the Donner films set out to do. You can do it differently. There is no denying that. Zod wasn't even around until 20+ years after the origin was told at least a half a dozen times. From what I can tell his place in the origin didn't really come around until after the Donner film.

Heck, how many of the recent origin tales, heck any of the origin tales over the years, have featured Zod? That they are playing up the connection between Jor-El and Zod just emphasis the fact that they are taking a similar direction to the first two films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
Agreed, Brainiac is a colder, more limited character, Zod is the best villain for this story. Is better to use Brainiac in a sequel along with Lex, but it seems some need to complain about something.
If you are going to make a comment like that, it would be nice if you read the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Batman and Spider-Man are my top two, with Superman being the third. Mainly due to his cultural significance and origins, which is a central part. Though I think Man of Steel will go a long way in making me like the character more than I do. And I don’t have any loyalty to the previous film series. I more appreciate STM than like it. So if there are covering old territory, eg. Zod, I’m sure MOS can do things better second time around and differently.
I agree. I think it can do it better. But the point is they are doing they are retreading, at least in terms of the broader strokes. There is no need to deny it. It doesn't make this film any less exciting for me.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 03-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #147
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,886
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
That isn't the point and you know it. The point is they have decided to do exactly what the Donner films set out to do. You can do it differently.
Do you really have a point? I don't know about that.

Yes, Donner and Goyer used similar characters, but they're both origin stories and as origin stories of course they're setting out to do the same thing. It doesn't mean they're copying from each other. The Zod story existed in comics before Donner. They can have the same characters and still have different ways to use them or portray them. I'm sure MOS will set itself apart and do many things different from Donner. Some similarities are to be expected because they're both Superman movies no matter what.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #148
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,932
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think the reason some people (myself included) are reluctant to say that MOS is a retread of the previous films is because of the negative connotation associated with the word "retread."

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #149
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,382
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I think the reason some people (myself included) are reluctant to say that MOS is a retread of the previous films is because of the negative connotation associated with the word "retread."
Yes. Thank you. That is what I said above.

People will fight that their are any similarities because they think the movie is being mocked.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,031
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Do you really have a point? I don't know about that.

Yes, Donner and Goyer used similar characters, but they're both origin stories and as origin stories of course they're setting out to do the same thing. It doesn't mean they're copying from each other. The Zod story existed in comics before Donner. They can have the same characters and still have different ways to use them or portray them. I'm sure MOS will set itself apart and do many things different from Donner. Some similarities are to be expected because they're both Superman movies no matter what.
Showtime seem to understand my point. I also have noticed you have avoided all his post on it.

You keep ignoring the point because your argument ceases to exist if you acknowledge it. You keep acting like Zod's Miraculous Trio is a common, almost necessary part of the origin.

So, what are all these Superman origin stories where Zod's Miraculous Trio are the central villain? I know there is Donner's STM/SMII. The other ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I think the reason some people (myself included) are reluctant to say that MOS is a retread of the previous films is because of the negative connotation associated with the word "retread."
I understand that. But it doesn't make it any less true nor does that make it a bad thing. It is just what it is.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.