The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #326
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Another "review spoiler" on IMDB.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
As for Zod, he's deranged and scary. Not like Heath Ledger's Joker, but more like a military leader with no one to guide. This allows for a type of tragic figure, whose ideals drive him into madness and an eventual threat against Metropolis.

He initially tries to recruit Superman to "govern" this human race. When KalEl refuses, he leaves in his spaceship, seemingly gone for good. Superman flies to the Fortress of Solitude to "equip himself" in case Zod returns. It is then that he sees an attack of robots on TV and flies out.
Link? Is there more?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #327
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Love it. But so...

...the Fortress of Solitude has cable? ...or is it satellite?
Yeah, i'm not too sure about that one

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #328
Marvin
Side-Kick

Bale is going to show up at the end, now retired with a cane and possibly and eye patch clapping and talking about putting a new team together.

speaking of stories worth adapting I think a movie loosely based on action comics 775 would be excellent, especially with goyers take on realism. Superman inspires new heroes but they don't have his upbringing. They team up and "Beat him" Only to have him fight on their level in the end only to reveal that he didn't actually stoop to their level. He just proved a point. Take that Hollywood.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #329
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah, i'm not too sure about that one
Inbetween learning about his alien heritage, he's apparently calling Comcast? ok......

Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #330
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
.....He has a TV??? LOL Ok....
haha, yeah. I was wondering the same thing.

I bet Supes has decked-out the fortress like a bachelor pad, with a state-of-the-art home entertainment system from Best Buy. 56-inch LCD at least. /s

Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #331
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

He went on to explain about it. Sounds plausible.
And the so-called "tv" really is an advanced monitoring system. It has some kind of Kryptonian satellite device that can pick up TV signals all over the world. There is also a built in seismograph/weather monitor built into the device, which shows a map of the world, and the amount of impact and damage the natural disasters have, as red dots that he can select. It also has a built in "map" that tracks terrorist threat levels around the world. Furthermore the screen has a cloaking mechanism so that other people can't trace the signals. It was modified by Clark after he became Superman from an obsolete Kryptonite computing machine found in the Fortress of Solitude.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #332
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

Hasn't there been a room at the fortress of solitude that had a ton of screens howling various news outlets across the globe depicted in the comics? Or did I dream that?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #333
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Superman 1 just ended on Tv & Superman II is now starting . It's a good day.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #334
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Ok, well that's your opinion. I have mine. I don't think it's the greatest story ever. I wouldn't even rank it in the top 5. But i have great respect for Dan Jurgens and the team that was on the book at the time and I appreciate the story. It's ok if your mileage varies. I think the story has alot of problems but also has some value. We don't have to agree.
I love Dan Jurgens' art. And are you Gail Simone?

Quote:
Umm..no. It's a term of literature. I would love to take credit for it but I can assure you that I didn't make it up. If I said I did, alot of people with PhD's could accuse me of plagerism.
Sure you're not thinking a bit highly of yourself thinking that people with PhD's troll the message boards reading your comments? But I digress, I will give you that.

Quote:
Yes, there is only one protagonist. But there is also such a thing as a supporting protagonist. Often the supporting protagonist is a character by which we experience their POV as well in ways that surpass a regular supporting character in a narrative.
Supporting protagonist is more descriptive of Robin then than Lois Lane. Pre marriage at least. But it really depends on the stories then. It isn't like it's a recurring thing in the comics where they have Lois Lane as the focal point or POV of the story every month or even a backup story with her.

Quote:
Yes, Lois Lane is in this story because of Superman. But she often has her own motivation and point of view that is vital to the narrative.
As do many other supporting characters in Superman's universe.

Quote:
The Silver Age comics are a dated example of it. It's much more prevenant in modern stories.

On "Lois and Clark" The New Adventures if Superman", Lois Lane was the co-star of the narrative. The story was told from her POV just as much as it was told their Clark's POV
Lois & Clark was a reimagined tongue and cheek take on the character with a romantic flair engineered that way to feature Lois as a lead (a staple of sitcoms). It's even in the title, "Lois and Clark". This is not a mainstay of the Superman comics. It's almost like doing a nick at nite show about Jimmy Olsen, IMO, not bashing L&C though because I liked it for what it was and it was my first exposure to the character growing up.

Quote:
On Smallville in the later seasons, Lois was the supporting protagonist. She had her own POV and her own perspective in the story. It was Clark's story but her story was important too and she had her own story.

Another example of a supporting protagonist would be Watson in a Sherlock Holmes story. Holmes is the protagonist but Watson is more important to the narrative than a supporting character.
Later seasons, that is the key term here. She is NOT that way right from the get-go? And why? Because nobody gives a damn. Even in the comics, Lois didn't start joining in on Superman's world/narrative until she became more important to him and his narrative and by extension is the viewers/readers, i.e. when they got married/Lois discovered Clark and Superman were one and the same. Which is unlike the Sherlock Holmes comparison as the stories told are supposedly from ones Watson had written about Holmes, so he has to be there from the start, that is a tenet and mainstay of the character, something on which he was founded. Not so with Superman and the "Lois narrative".

Quote:
The supporting protagonist is usually NOT a romantic interest which is why sometimes it's hard to peg them. The reason for that is probably because so many of these narratives feature more revolving doors in terms of love interests. Superman is one of the rare narrative where 1.) the character in question is a woman and 2.) where she's also the lover.
I really think calling her a "supportive protagonist" is entirely relative; it really just depends on what kind of story they are going to tell and is not a mainstay of the character or a foundational element of the Superman mythos. 8 out of 10 times (at least) in the Superman realm a story will be told from his perspective, his narrative, and that is the only narrative that is needed for those stories. If this were not true no one would buy the Superman comics. Present company excluded.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #335
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
"His woman?" When the man stops Leading? What is this 1955?

Thanks for your "words of experience" about how this "always goes" but well...no thanks. I think I'll stick to my own experience. I think this is where we just agree to disagree. Which is no problem.
"His woman" "Her man" Gimme a break. You can't be so touchy over stuff like this. My point is no way is Superman going to be wussified and make his life's sole goal pleasing Lois. They have a mutual, happy relationship, but Superman I don't see Superman as being Lois' ass kisser. Ass kisser and "in love" do not go hand in hand, I don't mean to harm your perception.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #336
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
And the so-called "tv" really is an advanced monitoring system. It has some kind of Kryptonian satellite device that can pick up TV signals all over the world. There is also a built in seismograph/weather monitor built into the device, which shows a map of the world, and the amount of impact and damage the natural disasters have, as red dots that he can select. It also has a built in "map" that tracks terrorist threat levels around the world. Furthermore the screen has a cloaking mechanism so that other people can't trace the signals. It was modified by Clark after he became Superman from an obsolete Kryptonite computing machine found in the Fortress of Solitude.
That's a long winded description for a movie. I wonder if this person got his/her hands on the novelization. It sounds like something that would be in there.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #337
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm calling BS

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #338
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm calling BS
Me too. It sounded plausible until
the long winded description of the fortress's satellite feed thing.

That being said, if its true I like it.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #339
Project862006
Banned User

sounds like fan fiction

Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #340
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
So...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superherofan123 View Post
Hasn't there been a room at the fortress of solitude that had a ton of screens howling various news outlets across the globe depicted in the comics? Or did I dream that?
Yes..depends which version I guess. TAS did.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #341
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I'm calling BS

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #342
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimBinks View Post
That's a long winded description for a movie. I wonder if this person got his/her hands on the novelization. It sounds like something that would be in there.
Or , he figured the fans would challenge him so he made it up.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #343
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sounds like fan fiction
Yeah, people question the watching tv thing, then out of nowhere comes an explanation for it. LOL.

Eh...could be wrong though. Who knows. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #344
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Or , he figured the fans would challenge him so he made it up.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #345
Glassjaw
In training

Lots of preview screening threads have gone up on the IMDB board so these all sound legit, I'm quoting these ones because they sound the most plausible and like really great scenes

It's this very scene where you can see the film is really going to kick off...

The exact scene went something like this...

Kal: What did you expect me to do, let them die?''

Zod: Maybe.

Kal: Why maybe?

Zod: How dare you question me, get on your knees and bow before Zod.

That's how it all starts, I've probably ruined too much already so I shan't say any more.

It was great. 9/10

Shannon's short scenes were very engrossing and captivating his voice and the way he delivers lines is amazing. But the ending with him turning into Doomsday is atrocious and that's reason for the big suit they had him in, in the behind the scenes photos. It looks exactly like doomsday but a bit more cyborgish because of Brainiacs involvement, but again with being the Brother of Jor El it's pretty out there and not really fitting into the universe or canon whether or not this is a reboot or not it's just off key to see it in action.

Just got back from a private screening and I must say it was well worth the wait. Cavill made an awesome Superman, and Antonio Banderas was great as Zod. easily the best Superman movie ever!

10/10

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #346
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure you're not thinking a bit highly of yourself thinking that people with PhD's troll the message boards reading your comments? But I digress, I will give you that.
There are several Superman fans in the Lois/clark fandom with Doctorates. I have a Doctorate myself. So....

Quote:
Supporting protagonist is more descriptive of Robin then than Lois Lane. Pre marriage at least. But it really depends on the stories then. It isn't like it's a recurring thing in the comics where they have Lois Lane as the focal point or POV of the story every month or even a backup story with her.
It used to be. Lois being pushed aside in the Superman comics is a relatively new thing. There used to be alot more narratives where she shared the POV. Yes, it depends on the story. I didn't say it always happened.

Quote:
As do many other supporting characters in Superman's universe.
To the same degree as Lois? Not even close. Next to Superman himself, the POV of Lois and Lex are often paramount to a Superman origin narrative. Look at Superman: Birthright or Secret Origins. Lex is the antagonist. Superman is the protagonist. Lois's POV is always almost running parallel to Clark's in terms of her concept of justice and heroism. We always hear her perspective moreso than the others.

Quote:
Lois & Clark was a reimagined tongue and cheek take on the character with a romantic flair engineered that way to feature Lois as a lead (a staple of sitcoms). It's even in the title, "Lois and Clark". This is not a mainstay of the Superman comics. It's almost like doing a nick at nite show about Jimmy Olsen, IMO, not bashing L&C though because I liked it for what it was and it was my first exposure to the character growing up.
The fact that the narrative focused on romance doesn't make it tongue and cheek.

Deborah Joy Levine designed the show with Lois as the co-star not to be a staple of sitcoms but because she believed that it was time to feature Lois's POV prominantly in the narrative. She was writing in the 90's when the concept of the working woman's feminism was important and finally getting attention.

She took the concept of comics being written for men and challenged the narrative to be inclusive to women. The show had huge mainstream success.

Quote:
Later seasons, that is the key term here. She is NOT that way right from the get-go?
It really depends on when you are starting your story. If you are starting your story when Clark is 15 years old (which Smallville did) then no, not right away.

If the bulk of your story is told when he's in his 20's...then she is.

Quote:
And why? Because nobody gives a damn.
Umm..I give a damn. Actually, I know alot of womem who give a damn. She's one of the most interesting parts of the narrative to me and I'm heavily invested in her. Can you try not speaking for others?

Quote:
Even in the comics, Lois didn't start joining in on Superman's world/narrative until she became more important to him and his narrative and by extension is the viewers/readers, i.e. when they got married/Lois discovered Clark and Superman were one and the same.
That's not true at all. Lois is the only other person present in Action #1 from 1938 besides Superman himself. She's always had a very important role in the narrative and was at the center of the dual identity for decades on end before the marriage. She has always been #2 in the story even prior to the marriage.

Now, I personally preferred the relationship when the secret was out in the open and when they were married. But that doesn't change the fact that she was still vital and important as the 3rd piece of the triangle and as the reporter prior to that.

Quote:
Which is unlike the Sherlock Holmes comparison as the stories told are supposedly from ones Watson had written about Holmes, so he has to be there from the start, that is a tenet and mainstay of the character, something on which he was founded. Not so with Superman and the "Lois narrative".
Again...that's not correct. On the contrary, Lois is the only other character in the Superman myth that was there when it was founded. She was there from the start of the character and had an important role. She was there before Superman could fly. Before the Kents. Before Luthor. Before The Daily Planet.

Now, the way Lois's story has been told over the years has changed dramatically due, in part, to society's changing role of women. Obviously, a story written in 1950 isn't going to give the same perpsective as a story written in 1990 and so on. But she is the only other mainstay other than Superman himself from the beginning of his creation.

Quote:
I really think calling her a "supportive protagonist" is entirely relative; it really just depends on what kind of story they are going to tell and is not a mainstay of the character or a foundational element of the Superman mythos.
Except it is. She's the only other person present in Action #1. Her importance to the narrative actually is a mainstay of the character and a foundational element of the Superman mythos.

Quote:
8 out of 10 times (at least) in the Superman realm a story will be told from his perspective, his narrative, and that is the only narrative that is needed for those stories. If this were not true no one would buy the Superman comics. Present company excluded.
I think you are misunderstanding what the term means. Of course Superman stories are told from his perspective. A supporting protagonist doesn't change that fact. It's just a way of saying that there is another character that often offers perspective in a story that is greater than your average supporting character.

Superman is the star of this narrative. That's not in dispute. I would, however, dispute that his POV is the only one that is needed for a truly complete story. I think there's a reason that most of the time in live action we see her POV...because it helps us further understand the fictional world we are in and provides more emotional resonance for the story. But truly...I think you are just misunderstanding what the term means. Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #347
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #348
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Lots of preview screening threads have gone up on the IMDB board so these all sound legit, I'm quoting these ones because they sound the most plausible and like really great scenes

That's how it all starts, I've probably ruined too much already so I shan't say any more.

It was great. 9/10

Shannon's short scenes were very engrossing and captivating his voice and the way he delivers lines is amazing. But the ending with him turning into Doomsday is atrocious and that's reason for the big suit they had him in, in the behind the scenes photos. It looks exactly like doomsday but a bit more cyborgish because of Brainiacs involvement, but again with being the Brother of Jor El it's pretty out there and not really fitting into the universe or canon whether or not this is a reboot or not it's just off key to see it in action.

Just got back from a private screening and I must say it was well worth the wait. Cavill made an awesome Superman, and Antonio Banderas was great as Zod. easily the best Superman movie ever!

10/10
Ha ha that was a great read

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #349
Audrey
Side-Kick

I feel like I need to just ignore these supposed spoilers. It's virtually impossible to tell who is telling the truth and who isn't. I'm just going to wait it out.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #350
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post

It was great. 9/10

10/10
Hahaha!!! That second one though....THAT would be kind of awesome if true.

Closed Thread