The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #351
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i too cant wait for Antonio Banderas as zod

Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #352
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also Fortress of Solitude "spoilers"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It is really Lara's bigger ship, and Superman's smaller one is really an emergency pod that she placed him in when it turns out that her own spacecraft was unstable. It explodes over the North Pole, and the ruins of the ship become the FOS when Clark hears about the rumors of a "mysterious ship" in the artic and travels there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...&p=1#212095751

Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #353
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Also Fortress of Solitude "spoilers"

It is really Lara's bigger ship, and Superman's smaller one is really an emergency pod that she placed him in when it turns out that her own spacecraft was unstable. It explodes over the North Pole, and the ruins of the ship become the FOS when Clark hears about the rumors of a "mysterious ship" in the artic and travels there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...&p=1#212095751
I like the idea of a womb analogy.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #354
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

I'm calling BS as well.

Last edited by IamtheBatman; 03-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #355
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
There are several Superman fans in the Lois/clark fandom with Doctorates. I have a Doctorate myself. So....
So sarcasm does not translate very well over message boards. Or you just didn't get it.

Quote:
It used to be. Lois being pushed aside in the Superman comics is a relatively new thing. There used to be alot more narratives where she shared the POV. Yes, it depends on the story. I didn't say it always happened.
8/10 times they can do a Superman story perfectly fine without involving Lois Lane as anything more than just a cameo.

Quote:
To the same degree as Lois? Not even close. Next to Superman himself, the POV of Lois and Lex are often paramount to a Superman origin narrative. Look at Superman: Birthright or Secret Origins. Lex is the antagonist. Superman is the protagonist. Lois's POV is always almost running parallel to Clark's in terms of her concept of justice and heroism. We always hear her perspective moreso than the others.
It really just depends on the story how much she is or is not featured. Nobody buys or bought a Superman comic, particularly when he debuted to read primarily about Lois Lane. If she were that important her ass would have been on the cover.

Quote:
The fact that the narrative focused on romance doesn't make it tongue and cheek.
No, the fact that it was tongue and cheek makes it tongue and cheek.

Quote:
Deborah Joy Levine designed the show with Lois as the co-star not to be a staple of sitcoms but because she believed that it was time to feature Lois's POV prominantly in the narrative. She was writing in the 90's when the concept of the working woman's feminism was important and finally getting attention.
Having multiple narratives, more than one protaginist is a staple of sitcoms. Not something that is demanded in every Superman story every time. Do you know what is demanded in every Superman story every time though? Superman.

Quote:
She took the concept of comics being written for men and challenged the narrative to be inclusive to women. The show had huge mainstream success.
And it was a great tv show for the time and just the shot in the arm that they needed back then. It was a nice take on Superman and demonstrated what a versatile character he is. However, Superman for the rest of the world today needs his balls back, we don't need a Superman with a feminist slant or a movie where he is viewed through the eyes of Lois Lane.

Quote:
It really depends on when you are starting your story. If you are starting your story when Clark is 15 years old (which Smallville did) then no, not right away.

If the bulk of your story is told when he's in his 20's...then she is.
Absolutely. But as the story goes she needs to be there, sure, but her perspective and narrative, is it always necessary? No it is not. Just because she is there does not mean we need her narrative in every story.

Quote:
Umm..I give a damn. Actually, I know alot of womem who give a damn. She's one of the most interesting parts of the narrative to me and I'm heavily invested in her. Can you try not speaking for others?
Is Lois Lane the only reason you read Superman or have an affinity for the character?

(Are you Gail Simone? Seriously)

Quote:
That's not true at all. Lois is the only other person present in Action #1 from 1938 besides Superman himself. She's always had a very important role in the narrative and was at the center of the dual identity for decades on end before the marriage. She has always been #2 in the story even prior to the marriage.
As a love interest. How much of it takes place from her perspective exactly? She is a plot point, not a narrative.

Quote:
Now, I personally preferred the relationship when the secret was out in the open and when they were married. But that doesn't change the fact that she was still vital and important as the 3rd piece of the triangle and as the reporter prior to that.
I prefer it when it was a secret because it goes back to the classic elements of Superman and what he was founded on. The stories were funnier and more fun, however I do think they should be married eventually and I do like that. And you can do good stories with that but that's not what I think of when I think of Superman, and, stop traffic, that isn't what the majority of the Superman fanbase thinks of when they think of Superman either. I prefer the Lois/Clark/Superman triangle and budding romance. I do want to see them together and married though but it's not my first impulse when I think of Superman. Again...she is important, no denying that, but she isn't an essential part of the ongoing narrative.

Quote:
Again...that's not correct. On the contrary, Lois is the only other character in the Superman myth that was there when it was founded. She was there from the start of the character and had an important role. She was there before Superman could fly. Before the Kents. Before Luthor. Before The Daily Planet.
Yes, but she is not Superman's connection to humanity. CLARK KENT is. He is the reason for half of Superman's success and why people could identify with him. He is why the character resonated with readers so much.

Quote:
Now, the way Lois's story has been told over the years has changed dramatically due, in part, to society's changing role of women.
Give me a break. EVERYONE has been written differently since the 50s, however Lois' (and everyone else's) role is still the same (different writing styles, but the characters and their rolls are still the same as they always were).

Quote:
Except it is. She's the only other person present in Action #1. Her importance to the narrative actually is a mainstay of the character and a foundational element of the Superman mythos.
Lois is never the narrative of any Superman story from the 30s/40s, so that's ********. Important to the story? Yes, absolutely. A Superman mainstay, along with Clark being a reporter, flying, kryptonite? Sure. But depending on her perspective? Not much of that going on at all. She becomes more important to the narrative later on, but not early on.

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding what the term means. Of course Superman stories are told from his perspective. A supporting protagonist doesn't change that fact. It's just a way of saying that there is another character that often offers perspective in a story that is greater than your average supporting character.
Sounds good to me. Lois is a supporting protagonist. Which is something that shifts from story to story with her.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #356
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Yeah it seems all too convenient. Especially since he "moves" the Fortress around. Would he even be powerful enough to do that at this point?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #357
Kevin Smith
Banned User

According to this guy on IMDB, Zod calls the people "earthlings". Haha okay.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #358
Kevin Smith
Banned User

"When Faora speaks it's like a child without a childhood"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #359
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
According to this guy on IMDB, Zod calls the people "earthlings". Haha okay.
"Kal El, your father was an average fighter, but he was a brilliant scientist!"

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #360
gomez147
You're not just anyone

I came late to the party... What happened and what's all that stuff from iMDB?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #361
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Just another dude who claimed to have seen MOS. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...read/212091831

There seems to be a "private screening joke." I like the idea of a tragic Zod though.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #362
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Beeeeeee Esssssss.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #363
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Why do you guys hate, what you don't understand?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #364
Kevin Smith
Banned User

So who all gets to see MOS before us, globally?

* What language should I learn so I can understand spoilers first

Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #365
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Well if they allow us to have midnight screenings, i'll see it before you

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #366
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

You'll see it before us when your country makes a car with a decent electrical system and a royal family who isn't full of tabloid fodder.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #367
Kevin Smith
Banned User

I saw on a message board or somewhere earlier that someone gets to see it in April...it may have been the MOS fb page actually. Course they could have been joking but now I am curious...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #368
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
You'll see it before us when your country makes a car with a decent electrical system and a royal family who isn't full of tabloid fodder.
The way people in this country worship the Kardashians, we can't say crap about the Royal Family. And I'll take a car with a crappy electrical system if I can get their Healthcare.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #369
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
HEY... don't diss Prince Harry!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #370
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I'll admit he does have a fine ass.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #371
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

dying at you two ! lmao.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #372
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Okay so apparently it was Baru. Yep. Baru.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #373
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I'll admit he does have a fine ass.
Gotta love a bad boy... even a ginger one

*\S/T*
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #374
gomez147
You're not just anyone

Edit

Last edited by gomez147; 03-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #375
Kevin Smith
Banned User

^^ This.

Closed Thread