The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #276
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil reboot in the near future?

I rather doubt there will be a dozen different supervillains showing up in the show's first season. Its only thirteen episodes, and I guarantee you, it won't be villain-of-the-week. There will be both recurring villains, and episodes not involving a costumed villain at all, I am certain.

I would say the Kingpin is definite, and Bullseye is definite. Beyond that, there may be two or three other supervillains.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #277
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Gladiator's look and powers could be really iconic in live action with those whirling blades, especially if he had been in a movie. If you're going to have Gladiator, then Deathstalker should follow close behind, along with Man Thing.

And don't forget that once DD fought both Gladiator and the Beetle together. Also, both Gladiator and the Beetle are Iron Man villains (the Beetle has also fought Spidey).
Beetle doesn't work on a TV budget though, his suit would involve way too many special effects. You have to have a cost benefit analysis for every villain, how important are they to the DD mythos and Beetle costs too much and is not important enough to DD's mythos to justify that cost.

That is why most aliens in Star trek are white guys with rubber fore heads, because more alien designs would cost too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I rather doubt there will be a dozen different supervillains showing up in the show's first season. Its only thirteen episodes, and I guarantee you, it won't be villain-of-the-week. There will be both recurring villains, and episodes not involving a costumed villain at all, I am certain.

I would say the Kingpin is definite, and Bullseye is definite. Beyond that, there may be two or three other supervillains.
Well I would agree with that to, to an extent. I think the main story will be Kingpin and Matt Murdock and I think there will be episodes without super villains. But here is the thing, why would Bullseye be the only super merc that Kingpin would hire to take out DD? Wouldn't make more sense for Kingpin to have several super mercs on his pay roll to throw at DD? Kingpin likely will be a hidden villain for part of the series and will not want to get his hands dirty, so having a variety of super mercs makes sense. Also not all the villains have to appear in the first season, having some appear in the second season would work. There doesn't have to super villains in every episodes, but I think Kingpin could use mercs besides Bullseye. Someone like Bullet doesn't have a costume, but is tougher then a normal mook.

Also I think you would need Owl for a gang war story, because he is the second most prominent crime boss villain in the DD universe and I think you can make a good contrast between him and Kingpin, with Kingpin being cool and in control, while Owl is psycho with a temper who spills blood at the drop of a hat. Owl is a more dynamic character then Kingpin's lieutenants in Miller Gang war story, so I would prefer Owl over the lieutenants.

I also think Gladiator is an important villain, because I like the story in the comics, where he starts out as a villain and later reformed into a supporting cast member, it shows that DD can help redeem some of the criminals he fights.

Last edited by The Overlord; 12-01-2013 at 11:42 AM.
The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #278
the gael
Side-Kick

Kingpin, Elektra, the Hand and Bullseye are a given. I hope that we see the Gladiator, the Owl, Typhoid Mary and Mister Fear / Larry Cranston (if they succeeded in making him different from the Scarecrow)

The one I would love to see on screen is Deathstalker. Pretty sure he can be done on tv budget (some kind of ghost in black outfit from the 50's is easy to do, I presume)

Maybe Ikari can be cool, even if he's a reverse DD (who can see) Bullet, ammo can work in the appropriate story. Bushwacker may be cooler than them but I don't know if the shape shiffting arm can be done on a tv budget (possible) and Purple Man can be creepy if done right.

Stiltman ? His costume would be very expensive to do such a goofy bad guy. The Jester ? Too much of a joker rip off.

Last edited by the gael; 12-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #279
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gael View Post
Kingpin, Elektra, the Hand and Bullseye are a given. I hope that we see the Gladiator, the Owl, Typhoid Mary and Mister Fear / Larry Cranston (if they succeeded in making him different from the Scarecrow)

The one I would love to see on screen is Deathstalker. Pretty sure he can be done on tv budget (some kind of ghost in black outfit from the 50's is easy to do, I presume)

Maybe Ikari can be cool, even if he's a reverse DD (who can see) Bullet, ammo can work in the appropriate story. Bushwacker may be cooler than them but I don't know if the shape shiffting arm can be done on a tv budget (possible) and Purple Man can be creepy if done right.

Stiltman ? His costume would be very expensive to do such a goofy bad guy. The Jester ? Too much of a joker rip off.
Well I think which villains should and should not appear, depends on the tone and the main story, you don't want a villain who detracts from the tone and seems to detract too much from the main story. But you can have a villain of the week and move the main story forward through sub plots.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #280
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

If Gladiator does appear, he shouldn't start reforming until quite a way in. If the show had more than one season, they should leave it until then, and keep him firmly a bad guy for the first season. He would require some special effects though - particularly his saw blades.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #281
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
If Gladiator does appear, he shouldn't start reforming until quite a way in. If the show had more than one season, they should leave it until then, and keep him firmly a bad guy for the first season. He would require some special effects though - particularly his saw blades.
Well if Gladiator appears, I would want his reform to be in the second or third season, so it would have more of an impact.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #282
the gael
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Well I think which villains should and should not appear, depends on the tone and the main story, you don't want a villain who detracts from the tone and seems to detract too much from the main story. But you can have a villain of the week and move the main story forward through sub plots.
Of course, the main story is what will determine the villain used. As for the tone, I suppose that we want to see a mostly dark DD. Of course, there will be some humor, because it's the MCU, but the story has to be dark and grounded in the dirty streets of Hell's Kitchen.

With Spiderman being with Sony, DD is now the prototype of the street level hero in the MCU, the guy that will fight to protect the neighbourhood from the street level villain.

I just hope that they won't stay with the Kingpin / Bullseye / Elektra traditionnal combo.

To be honest, if they fit the story, any villain that I named can work. And if they tried to do a Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk parallel ascension, they can use Alexander Bont as the previous Kingpin that Fisk will replace in the course of the season. Bont, being an old school godfather, will see his power crumble with the rise of the supervillain (Owl, the Hand, etc) and the action of Daredevil.

Goofy villain (Stiltman, Lip frog, Matador and co), on the other hand, have no place in a dark story.

Last edited by the gael; 12-02-2013 at 05:46 AM.
the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #283
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Well if Gladiator appears, I would want his reform to be in the second or third season, so it would have more of an impact.
Yep, even later would be better. But he would have to be a really nasty villain for the first few times he appears, and maybe not even completely trust worthy when he does start the path to redemption.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #284
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gael View Post
Of course, the main story is what will determine the villain used. As for the tone, I suppose that we want to see a mostly dark DD. Of course, there will be some humor, because it's the MCU, but the story has to be dark and grounded in the dirty streets of Hell's Kitchen.

With Spiderman being with Sony, DD is now the prototype of the street level hero in the MCU, the guy that will fight to protect the neighbourhood from the street level villain.

I just hope that they won't stay with the Kingpin / Bullseye / Elektra traditionnal combo.

To be honest, if they fit the story, any villain that I named can work. And if they tried to do a Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk parallel ascension, they can use Alexander Bont as the previous Kingpin that Fisk will replace in the course of the season. Bont, being an old school godfather, will see his power crumble with the rise of the supervillain (Owl, the Hand, etc) and the action of Daredevil.

Goofy villain (Stiltman, Lip frog, Matador and co), on the other hand, have no place in a dark story.

I'd really enjoy that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #285
venom892
Got Lucky

I do hope they explore Kingpin's rise to power. It's one of the things I really enjoyed about Bendis's run.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #286
Dasher10
Side-Kick

So what do we know of Defenders villains?

Here's all that I know

Daredevil
Nuke
Kingpin
Bullseye
Elektra
Mr. Fear
Jester
Gladiator
Blackheart
Bullet
Bushwacker
Typhoid Mary
Owl
Spot
Death Stalker

Luke Cage
Purple Man
High-Tech
Chemistro
The Hood

Iron Fist
Harold Meachum
Steel Serpent
Thunderer

And I know of no Jessica Jones villains who are likely to appear in her show.

Last edited by Dasher10; 12-04-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: I forgot Death Stalker and Hood
Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #287
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Oh, and how will Typhoid Mary, Owl and Death Stalker gain their powers if Mutants aren't allowed?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #288
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Death Stalker got his powers from a time displacer ray in the first place. It kept him trapped between two dimensions, much like that guy in the last episode of Agents of SHIELD. That displacer ray only caused a mutation, which is what the Vita Rays and the Super Soldier Serum did to Steve Rogers, or the spider bite did to Peter Parker.

So whether there are no mutants allowed or not, that doesn't have any effect on Death Stalker's origin. It's not like he was born with his powers.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #289
Loki882
Side-Kick

There are a number of ways to get around the mutant thing. They could use Extremis, or a version of the Super Soldier Serum, or it could be some other kind of thing entirely. As for who could be the villain who causes the Defenders to come together, Kingpin is the obvious choice. However, I kind of want it to be The Purple Man. Despite his extremely stupid bad guy name, his power does make him very dangerous and he's one of the most detestable villains in the MCU.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #290
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
There are a number of ways to get around the mutant thing. They could use Extremis, or a version of the Super Soldier Serum, or it could be some other kind of thing entirely. As for who could be the villain who causes the Defenders to come together, Kingpin is the obvious choice. However, I kind of want it to be The Purple Man. Despite his extremely stupid bad guy name, his power does make him very dangerous and he's one of the most detestable villains in the MCU.
It doesn't have to be stupid though. It could just be a code name that either SHIELD or the Defenders give him. He could go by his real name of Zebediah Killgrave, just that he is coloured purple. After all, in the Ang Lee Hulk movie (which was supposed to be even more serious) they gave the Hulk the nickname "Angry Man". How is that more sensible and more serious than "Hulk"?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #291
Loki882
Side-Kick

They COULD make it work, I agree with that. It's just that "Purple Man" sounds less like a supervillain name and more like a stripper moniker. Still, he is a good villain and my larger argument about using him still stands.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #292
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Oh, and how will Typhoid Mary, Owl and Death Stalker gain their powers if Mutants aren't allowed?
They are Gifted.

Its the word 'Mutant' that isn't allowed, not the idea of a natural genetic superhuman.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #293
Dasher10
Side-Kick

So nobody knows any villains who I didn't name who are specific to Jessica Jones, Luke Cage or Iron Fist?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #294
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
So nobody knows any villains who I didn't name who are specific to Jessica Jones, Luke Cage or Iron Fist?
Bushmaster (the first one named John McIver, not his younger brother Quincy, who became the 2nd one). The first was a crime boss and foe of Iron Fist and Misty Knight. I think he had something to do with trying to reverse the experiment that gave Luke Cage his powers and died as a result.

The 2nd Bushmaster was part of the Serpent Society.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #295
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep, even later would be better. But he would have to be a really nasty villain for the first few times he appears, and maybe not even completely trust worthy when he does start the path to redemption.
Well the thing is, when Stan Lee wrote Gladiator, he was just a thug and a bully. Miller retconned him into a psychotic who thought he was a Roman Gladiator, that is how he got redeemed. I think if they used Gladiator he should be a psychotic who gets used as a pawn by more evil villains for a couple of seasons, then he gets the mental help he needs to be normal citizen.

Quote:
Owl is not a mutant, he was originally a crime boss who used a serum that gave him limited flight abilities, however this serum took a toll on his body and his sanity, and now he is quite crazed and bestial. I think Owl would work better in this show if he was less like a generic crime boss/Kingpin wannabe and more like Tuco from Breaking Bad, a psycho crime boss with a wicked temper who commits violence at the drop of a hat. Any civility he has is a pretense, an attempt to add his true bestial nature. While Kingpin is cool and in control, Owl is always on the brink of violence and can't control his temper.

Last edited by The Overlord; 12-04-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #296
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fera and Master Kahn are Iron Fist villains, both from K'un Lun. They're a bit on the obscure side though.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #297
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

I think Marvel should take one element and another of "brubaker's arc" for this TV series...

Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #298
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Here's a very out-of-left-field choice for Murdock..Ewan McGregor?

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #299
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post

Actually, I can see that and I like it. I'm just afraid that I'll be let down if he doesn't say, "these aren't the Avengers you're looking for" at some point or another.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #300
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Would Ewan McGregor commit to a TV show though? He seems more like a film actor. Maybe it would be better to go with someone less known and less expensive.