The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #176
wampa1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Daredevil reboot in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
With the news that Marvel's proposing 4 new shows (plus a mini-series)
Hmm, let's see...

Daredevil and The Punisher are obvious candidates, as is Agent Carter. Is the Hulk TV show still on the cards? I kinda doubt it but you never know. Also, wasn't there an Alias (Jessica Jones) show in development at one point?

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #177
Energist
Buy Wayward! It's great!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll be majorly bummed if Daredevil gets the television series treatment instead of a film. If it were going to be done in the vein of Breaking Bad or Sopranos, then maybe I'd give it a shot, but with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being as it is, I doubt that's what we'd get. It'll probably be closer to Ally McBeal than Law and Order. And regardless, I just think a film franchise would be so much more epic, which is what the character really deserves.

Energist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #178
Loki882
Side-Kick

Except that a movie would inevitably neglect one part of DD's persona in favor of the other. Either they'd focus on the superhero part, or the lawyer part (probably the former). A TV show gives time to focus on BOTH and develop the supporting cast like Foggy, Karen, Ben Urich, and maybe even Elektra. I'd be more like Arrow than AOS.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #179
Energist
Buy Wayward! It's great!

Arrow's sub-par, too. Better than S.H.I.E.L.D., but still nowhere near a Breaking Bad, which is the level that a television series about Daredevil should be shooting for.

And as far as film versus television goes, I doubt anyone would have preferred an Arrow-quality Batman series over the Nolan films. Likewise, Daredevil shouldn't be left to the realm of mediocre television when a proper film franchise could be brilliant.

Energist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #180
Loki882
Side-Kick

Asking for ANY show to try and reach Breaking Bad levels of greatness is wildly unrealistic, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. BB is a lightning in a bottle situation that only happens very rarely. Also, Arrow is definitely not sub-par, I'm actually shocked at how good it is.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #181
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah, just because not every show is Breaking Bad, which no show is besides Breaking Bad, doesn not mean it's subpar. Breaking Bad was the right story with right story teller to make it possibly the best television show ever. This is a completely different story with a completely different audience. You can't expect SHIELD or Arrow OR Daredevil to reach the same heights as that because their stories simply aren't designed to.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #182
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I'll be majorly bummed if Daredevil gets the television series treatment instead of a film. If it were going to be done in the vein of Breaking Bad or Sopranos, then maybe I'd give it a shot, but with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being as it is, I doubt that's what we'd get. It'll probably be closer to Ally McBeal than Law and Order. And regardless, I just think a film franchise would be so much more epic, which is what the character really deserves.
I agree, unless we get a Showtime/HBO-type series that could do the character justice. Something on AMC, Netflicks or Showtime seems like a possibility judging by the press release for the proposed 4 new shows. The fact that Marvel is looking beyond the restrictions of network television is excitng. A DD series on ABC would be dead on arrival.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 10-17-2013 at 02:21 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #183
fixxxer
Side-Kick

A quality Daredevil TV can show can be made without necessarily NEEDING to hit the heights of the golden age crop of shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Deadwood. There's a whole lot of qualitative range between your run-of-the-mill procedurals like Law & Order, CSI, NCIS and something like Breaking Bad.

A Daredevil show that's similar in quality to shows like Justified, The Shield, The Bridge, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, etc. would be more than satisfactory. Something like this would be superior to 95% of the movies that get produced these days.

That's pretty much why (see my previous post) I thought Damages would serve as a nice template for a Daredevil show in terms of structure.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #184
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
I agree, unless we get a Showtime/HBO-type series that could do the character justice. Something on AMC, Netflicks or Showtime seems like a possibility judging by the press release for the proposed 4 new shows. The fact that Marvel is looking beyond the restrictions of network television is excitng. A DD series on ABC would be dead on arrival.
My thoughts exactly. And you could add FX to that list.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #185
SeanGerberMMM
Newbie First Class

If a live-action Daredevil revival is destined to begin on television, then a Netflix original series would be a great option. With shorter seasons that are released all at once, the potential is there for more focused, 10 to 13-episode story arcs that are reflective of the serialized storytelling of the comics.

If the potential for a jump to the MCU is there, it will be easier to cast a more credible star in the lead.

SeanGerberMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #186
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

If/when DD gets his chance on the screen again there is one scene from the comics that I would really like to see in live action.
It's from Millers' run where Bullseye has gone crazy and taken 2 old men as hostages, one of them with a bad cough. So DD sits on top of a building and going through all different sounds in the city trying to find the cough.
i don't know why but I think it would be cool to see.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #187
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I actually think TV is a much better fit for DD and the Punisher than films are.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #188
Silvermoth
Avenger

Yeah, I would agree with you there.

What do you guys think about Gemma chan playing Electra? I reckon she would be brilliant

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #189
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I want Elektra to look Greek for once. It's not like they've already tried that and now should try something different. Jennifer Garner didn't look Greek at all. So no to Gemma Chan.

I think they got the wrong sister from Alias to play as Elektra. Should've maybe gotten Mia Maestro instead. They could still get her now.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #190
Frico
Live by the creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I actually think TV is a much better fit for DD and the Punisher than films are.
Agreed with this - especially for DD. I just see a lot of great ways to approach it and he has the stories/villains to back it up. Of course I'd like to see a DD film from Marvel but there's no denying he'd be a natural fit for TV.

Marvel just announced a new Punisher book - so there definitely may be plans in store for him. Frank is heading from NY to LA...Possible hint for the future?

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #191
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
Agreed with this - especially for DD. I just see a lot of great ways to approach it and he has the stories/villains to back it up. Of course I'd like to see a DD film from Marvel but there's no denying he'd be a natural fit for TV.

Marvel just announced a new Punisher book - so there definitely may be plans in store for him. Frank is heading from NY to LA...Possible hint for the future?
I think Daredevil on TV has so much potential. He has had many great arcs over the years. As for Punisher, just use shows like Dexter as a basis for what a Punisher show should be, and you have struck gold.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #192
Loki882
Side-Kick

You comparing Punisher to Dexter is actually kind of ironic. Zeb Wells is writing a new Elektra book and he says that she will be the "Dexter of Assassins."

Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #193
Mr. Dent
Banned User

...I don't think they should model Punisher after Dexter.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #194
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I want Elektra to look Greek for once. It's not like they've already tried that and now should try something different. Jennifer Garner didn't look Greek at all. So no to Gemma Chan.

I think they got the wrong sister from Alias to play as Elektra. Should've maybe gotten Mia Maestro instead. They could still get her now.

She looks the part.
I agree they need to make sure Elektra plays and looks Greek this time, but I'd be happy with even a Latina or an Italian or Middle-Eastern actress in the role. Hell, I could even see Alexa Vega play Natchios, as long as she goes back to black hair instead of blonde.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #195
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
She looks the part.
I agree they need to make sure Elektra plays and looks Greek this time, but I'd be happy with even a Latina or an Italian or Middle-Eastern actress in the role. Hell, I could even see Alexa Vega play Natchios, as long as she goes back to black hair instead of blonde.
She is actually a latina. She's argentinian but she looks like how Elektra should look. She played alongside Garner in Alias as her half sister which is why I said Fox picked the wrong sister.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #196
seahammer
Side-Kick

Here's an update regarding Daredevil (and Punisher) from a T:TDW interview with Feige:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...medium=twitter

It's nothing we haven't heard before. Basically, he says they just got the property back and they're waiting for the right time to do something with him.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #197
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
"Daredevil is back at Marvel, and there are lots of talented people figuring out what to do with him next. We love Daredevil, there are amazing stories -- the Bendis run over 5 or 6 years, running into a Brubaker run was amazing. All sorts of things before that era we could use -- so I think you can bet on seeing SOMETHING from Daredevil in the not to distant future."
This quote really solidifies to me that Daredevil is a part of that TV package.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #198
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Yeah I get that vibe as well. Did they give any kind of timeline for when the new shows would come along?

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #199
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

But then we also get simultaneous quotes like these from Kevin Feige on Daredevil:

Quote:
The rights to Daredevil returned to us, we have a group of smart people who are trying to figure out what to do with this character. Enough material for a film, a lot of comics came with a variety of subjects. But we do not plan to release the film in the near future."
And that seems to suggest they might want to make a film with him rather than a TV series but aren't planning to do anything for a few years.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #200
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Hmm. I guess there are pros and cons for both a movie and a tv show, but a tv show will always mean more character building and what not so I'm probably hoping more towards the tv route.