The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #201
Ant-manic
Banned User

Default Re: Daredevil reboot in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But then we also get simultaneous quotes like these from Kevin Feige on Daredevil:

And that seems to suggest they might want to make a film with him rather than a TV series but aren't planning to do anything for a few years.
tv series would be the smarter route; stronger material than Agents of SHIELD, at least.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #202
Rorschach2012
$

I don't understand how you think its the smarter route..

I'd think a fan of Daredevil would prefer to see him on film after seeing how superheroes like Arrow and Agents of SHIELD look.

I actually like Arrow, but Daredevil is so cinematic, he deserves a director with a knack for visual flair, and a decent budget.

Daredevil can work on film, I think he could work best on film. His narrative doesn't have to directly tie into any major story arch covered in The Avengers sequels or anything. It's the perfect film to show the street level action that's going on in New York.

Daredevil should definitely be a movie series. He's too great of a character to just have on tv.

Marvel put their worst character in his own tv show. Daredevil is one of the best characters Marvel has the rights to, and he has a lot of potential for a franchise. I think they should only use their lesser characters on tv that don't have as much movie potential. The DD comics are already so ****ing cinematic it'd be a crime to not adapt it into a movie series

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #203
Loki882
Side-Kick

Because the duel aspects of DD's life could be much more developed in a TV show. Also, his supporting cast as well. Mark Waid has even said that DD is perfect for TV. Also, TV isn't cinematic enough coughGameofThronescough.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #204
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
because he's a character than can compete with DC's tv offerings. because he has seasons of continuity to mine. because he's not special effects intensive. because Marvel obviously wants to do more tv shows. because it doesn't prevent them from making a Daredevil movie, at some point. they could try their luck with a substitute; like Moon Knight. but i can see that failing already. and that hurts whatever else they try to put on tv. you go the tv route and you can include all of the side characters and rogues gallery that you like. movie route, you have a choice of one or two good ones.

Last edited by Ant-manic; 10-22-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #205
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But then we also get simultaneous quotes like these from Kevin Feige on Daredevil:

And that seems to suggest they might want to make a film with him rather than a TV series but aren't planning to do anything for a few years.
Taking both quotes into consideration just makes me think even more that they're planing a TV show. When an exec says to expect something in the not to distant future, he's not talking about years out, he's talking about within the next year or less. If they weren't planning anything for years on out, he wouldn't have used that language. What he's saying in the quote you posted is that they have no plans for a movie...well then what could that something be to be expect in the not to distant future then? TV, especially since we know about that TV package for cable/VODs.

Also, I don't know how anyone could have read Daredevil comics and not understand why the character is perfect for TV, especially cable/VOD TV.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #206
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

As a huge DD fan I'd love an amazing neo-noir film series as well, but that may not be for another 5-10 years. As long as they stay miles away from ABC and develop it for cable or Netflix, then I'd be pretty happy. Arrow and AoS are entertaining and pretty good quality for network offerings, but in the entire landscape of TV they are average at best. DD deserves MUCH better then that. Some of the best written comics in the genre have his name on the cover, so it won't be hard to find some great material. Start with Miller and Bendis.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #207
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Quote:
"Daredevil is back at Marvel, and there are lots of talented people figuring out what to do with him next. We love Daredevil, there are amazing stories -- the Bendis run over 5 or 6 years, running into a Brubaker run was amazing. All sorts of things before that era we could use -- so I think you can bet on seeing SOMETHING from Daredevil in the not to distant future."
This quote really solidifies to me that Daredevil is a part of that TV package.
Yup. Couple Feige's quotes with the rumors that have been floating around, and I think it's pretty clear that a Daredevil TV show is in active "pre-development".

Last edited by fixxxer; 10-23-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: incorrect punctuation
fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #208
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post

I'd think a fan of Daredevil would prefer to see him on film after seeing how superheroes like Arrow and Agents of SHIELD look.

I actually like Arrow, but Daredevil is so cinematic, he deserves a director with a knack for visual flair, and a decent budget.

Daredevil can work on film, I think he could work best on film. His narrative doesn't have to directly tie into any major story arch covered in The Avengers sequels or anything. It's the perfect film to show the street level action that's going on in New York.

Daredevil should definitely be a movie series. He's too great of a character to just have on tv.

Marvel put their worst character in his own tv show. Daredevil is one of the best characters Marvel has the rights to, and he has a lot of potential for a franchise. I think they should only use their lesser characters on tv that don't have as much movie potential. The DD comics are already so ****ing cinematic it'd be a crime to not adapt it into a movie series
C'mon now. Agents of SHIELD is fun but somewhat cookie cutter fare tailored for all audiences, and Arrow indulges its soap operatic tendencies way too much, but how would those things have anything to do with the quality of a hypothetical Daredevil TV show? Especially if it's on cable, which looks like what they're aiming for.

Over the past 10 or so years, TV (especially non-network dramatic TV) has easily eclipsed movies in terms of quality. In that period, I can't think of a single movie that approaches the absurd heights of shows like The Wire, The Sporanos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Deadwood.

Additionally, shows like The Shield, Justified, The Bridge, The Americans, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, The Americans, Damages, Terriers (in its excellent lone season), Sons of Anarchy, Homeland (despite some season 2 loopiness), Sherlock (well that came from the Brits... but still), House of Cards (again Netflix... but still), Six Feet Under, and a few more I'm sure I forgot to include are better than 95% of the movies I've seen over the same period. And trust me, sample size is not the issue here. Right now, TV is out-cinemaing cinema.

Bring in a capable showrunner with a talented writing team, nail the core ethos of Murdock and his supporting characters, draw heavily from the iconic Daredevil comic book runs, and you've basically struck gold. (Non-network) TV is absolutely the right place for Daredevil.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #209
Energist
Roxy rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Also, I don't know how anyone could have read Daredevil comics and not understand why the character is perfect for TV, especially cable/VOD TV.
Maybe you didn't mean for it to come across this way, but I hate when people call someone else's "fan credentials" into question just because their opinion doesn't line up with your own. I've read every issue of Daredevil ever published+, and he's not the only character with a long and storied history that could potentially benefit by the serial nature of a television series. If the argument rests solely on the supposition that TV would better serve his dual identities and numerous celebrated story arcs, then Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man should all be hanging up their cinematic tights in favor of the small screen, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Bring in a capable showrunner with a talented writing team, nail the core ethos of Murdock and his supporting characters, draw heavily from the iconic Daredevil comic book runs, and you've basically struck gold. (Non-network) TV is absolutely the right place for Daredevil.
And I agree with this and everything else you said. My dilemma, though, is that I have a lot less confidence in Marvel's television division than I do their film division right now. You ask how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Arrow have anything to do with a hypothetical Daredevil show; well, how do any of the shows you mentioned have anything to do with the quality of a hypothetical Daredevil series, either? As I see it, then, the odds are even at best at it being hit or miss.

On the other hand, Marvel's demonstrated time and again their diligence in finding the right filmmakers for each of their characters they've taken to the big screen before ever shooting a scene. So experience tells me that a Daredevil feature is probably going to turn out pretty well; better than even odds, anyway. A television series, though, is entering uncharted waters, and so I'm far less eager to see Daredevil go down that path at the moment. Not vehemently against it, mind you; just far less eager.

Energist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #210
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
And I agree with this and everything else you said. My dilemma, though, is that I have a lot less confidence in Marvel's television division than I do their film division right now. You ask how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or Arrow have anything to do with a hypothetical Daredevil show; well, how do any of the shows you mentioned have anything to do with the quality of a hypothetical Daredevil series, either? As I see it, then, the odds are even at best at it being hit or miss.

On the other hand, Marvel's demonstrated time and again their diligence in finding the right filmmakers for each of their characters they've taken to the big screen before ever shooting a scene. So experience tells me that a Daredevil feature is probably going to turn out pretty well; better than even odds, anyway. A television series, though, is entering uncharted waters, and so I'm far less eager to see Daredevil go down that path at the moment. Not vehemently against it, mind you; just far less eager.
Network TV has historically suffered from the "too many cooks" syndrome, typically due to the meddling from the so called Network Execs.

I'm pretty confident that in this case, Marvel would turn the show over to the creative types they trust, and like they do with their movies, give them enough creative freedom. Especially considering the fact that the original article from Deadline indicated that Marvel was specifically pitching the show to non-network content providers. Of course, they'll be handing them notes and guidelines on how to peripherally sync with the broader MCU (as well they should) but overall, I think creative freedom would rest with the showrunner and his writing staff.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #211
Silvermoth
Avenger

Also I'm sure it would be wonderful for the comic book writers to bounce over to the tv medium if they wanted to try something new...and vice versa!

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #212
Captain Lantern
Side-Kick

I don't know if I'd want DD to be just a network tv show. I feel it has huge potential as a movie and could absolutely get the ball rolling on street level heroes on the big screen. I feel like if it was just a tv show I'd be getting short changed every week because I'd want to see more, which I know is the point of good shows. Bottom line I'd just like to see something happen with this property!

Captain Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #213
NicoleZoltack
Side-Kick

I agree with Captain Lantern. TV show or movie doesn't matter so long as something is done with DD!

NicoleZoltack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #214
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Why can't DD be both a TV show and a movie? They can start small with a TV show and develop him. Then if it is successful enough, they can also make a big screen adventure for him. However, if they just go for the movie it might not catch on in the same way that the original didn't. With a TV show, they can retell his origin and deal with various villains and law cases, but for the movie he can have a really big adversary and it won't waste needless time explaining how he came to be the Man Without Fear.

It would be just like Star Trek: TNG or the X-Files where both had a TV series and then shortly after a movie version.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #215
Loki882
Side-Kick

A TV show is also smarter in the sense that if it is successful, then Marvel might be more willing to take a chance on a movie. Plus, if the world/characters are already established, then the movie won't have to waste time setting all that up and jump right into the actual story.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #216
NicoleZoltack
Side-Kick

Works for me!

NicoleZoltack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #217
Kar
Side-Kick

Thing about DD is he has so many great aspects to his history to make a movie on. It could be a martial arts revenge type movie. It could be neo-noir crime movie. Or a straight superhero/vigilante style like the first movie. I feel like his ninja background should be included heavily to call for more fighting scenes and action and also give way to another side that could allow more costumed villains and and assortment of characters from his stories. Call me crazy but I would love to see a Quentin Tarantino Daredevil movie. I honestly think he'd be the writer director to combine all those elements of DD's history into one movie.

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #218
Loki882
Side-Kick

But you can more easily explore ALL of those in a TV show, rather than just concentrating on just one in a movie.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #219
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Is it just me or should Daredevil be directed by Kevin Smith?

Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #220
Rorschach2012
$

That's an interesting idea. But there are a lot of people that could do it well.

He gets suggested for everything, but Ryan Gosling would really make an awesome Matt Murdock.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #221
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Ryan Gosling gets mentioned for everything

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #222
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Ryan Gosling for Ms. Marvel!

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #223
Rorschach2012
$

Yeah he does, but its because he's the greatest actor his age, and he hasn't broken out into a blockbuster role yet. I think this could be perfect for him..

Imagine a Daredevil movie that was visually similar to Drive, with Gosling as Murdock and Nicolas Winding Refn directing..

You can't tell me that wouldn't be awesome

Daredevil/Matt Murdock: Ryan Gosling
Elektra Natchios: Olga Kurylenko
Bullseye: Ben Foster

And you guys are going to think this is crazy but I can see Vince Vaughn as Kingpin, he's done some dark roles before, he's just mostly known for his comedic work.

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 10-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #224
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Daredevil is probably my second or favorite Marvel character behind Spider-Man or Hulk, and I'd love a great film for all to see (Director's Cut did this I think, but most people think of the piss poor Fox cut of that movie) but I will definitely take a great television series over a good movie, or trilogy for that matter.

None of Daredevil's immediate villains or cast need super high tech special effects, and just the amount of development that could be done with the characters is staggering. I mean, adapting parts of Bendis' run and having Matt carve on Bullseye's head and becoming the new Kingpin of New York could just be the last two or three episodes of one of the most hardcore seasons ever. So much more history for every character can occur in a televised format which just adds more intensity and grit to the mythos over time.

Marvel seems adamant about getting out on TV already, with some new stuff to be announced.There seems to be a lot of Breaking Bad fans on this site, can you imagine a similar show with that tone and evolution of the cast? If a well-focused Daredevil show were to happen, you'd have a hit and restore people's view of the character from the last film's negative perceptions. I'd be pretty happy that one of my faves helped lead the pack to the television frontier.

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #225
Rorschach2012
$

Breaking Bad has shown us how far a tv show can go. If DD could be anything near that level of quality I'd be down. But so far, the only show Marvel's come out with has been Agents of S.*.*.T