The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #851
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor: The Dark World Trailer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Actually that only matters if they are stopping the train without touching the ground. If they use their superhero legs as "breaks" and an anchor in the ground the resistance will eventually slow the train.
Yeah, but normally the friction between Thor's / Hulk's feet and the ground shouldn't be sufficient to do the job. The train would simply push the hero away.

Don't get me wrong, guys. Just because I'm pointing out to things like this doesn't mean I hate super hero comics or films. I like them a lot. But I also like to think about the things that happen there. I don't care if you call me a nerd because of that.

I just consider the world of super heroes as an alternative earth that has different physical laws than our world.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #852
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
Yeah, but normally the friction between Thor's / Hulk's feet and the ground shouldn't be sufficient to do the job. The train would simply push the hero away.

Don't get me wrong, guys. Just because I'm pointing out to things like this doesn't mean I hate super hero comics or films. I like them a lot. But I also like to think about the things that happen there. I don't care if you call me a nerd because of that.

I just consider the world of super heroes as an alternative earth that has different physical laws than our world.
It's not the friction is skidding on the ground. it's the fact that they are tearing up the ground/anchoring into the ground. It's not surface friction, think of it more like a pile or anchor.

Also force of friction is proportional to the normal force anyways. if they grab the train and use their super strong legs to push down on the ground they are generating more friction then a 200 lb person being casually pushed while standing

And I do this stuff for a living (Physics/Engineering) so I won't judge you for thinking about them

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #853
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
This looks incredible! I can't wait to see more of malekith and london. I have a feeling malekith is more of a beta villain until Loki stands revealed as the real mastermind.
nah loki aint the mastermind of a army of dark elves birthed before the big bang

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #854
Loki882
Side-Kick

Malekith sounds incredibly threatening in this trailer. "Your family and your world will be extinguished" creepy. Eccleston doesn't seem to have as pronounced of a accent as he has in the past.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #855
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I wanted him to say "Exterminated" hahaha

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #856
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post

But it's being extremely nitpicky, which is what a lot of don't like.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #857
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
I wanted him to say "Exterminated" hahaha
"Extinguished" sounds even more threatening to me, I guess because it's not as commonly used.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #858
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Nerds. You just gotta laugh sometimes.
or cry.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #859
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I could be searching REALLY hard here, but Extinguished....a word usually used to describe a fire that was put out...

Extinguished=Fire
Fire=Surtur

hint at Surtur's presence?? :P

Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #860
Loki882
Side-Kick

I thought that the very fact that Malekith is the villain already hinted at Surtur. Also, the whole "evil that predates the universe itself" line from Odin.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #861
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I know lol that's my point, I'm TRYING to find other things that point to Surtur.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #862
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I finally saw the trailer today. I will just say it's really good, but I was expecting it to be so much more from the descriptions (and a handful of stills I saw before). Still, all in all, whatever I may say about the finished product, there is no denying: THIS LOOKS LIKE THOR! Or at least it looks like the Thor I grew up on as a youngster. The contextless "shining and cosmic" Asgard from the first film, which had a very Kirby vibe has been expanded into the more Lord of The Rings styled Asgard of Simonson. The texture seems (and let's be honest, until we experience the film itself, seem is the right word) richer and fuller on all fronts. The costuming, locations and effects seem to have more visual weight. This is not to slight the previous film at all. To my mind Brannaugh gave us all a great Thor film considering the budget and time constraints, not to mention the degree of difficulty that the character itself has by it's very nature. Thor was always to my mind, the "funkiest" of the major MARVEL characters to adapt to a live action film and the first film did it swimmingly. But this look right now to really have the Simonson flavor that I, personally, expect from Thor (It makes me hold out hope for an adaptation of "The Last Viking" story to be told on screen one day. But I digress...)

Highlights, other than the production design for me?

1. The effects look very good. That Kronan at the end was pretty sweet. (I do not believe for a second that it won't reconstitute itself and have an epic throwdown with The Thunderer.)

2. Everybody looks great in their respective parts. The costuming is way more in line with what I think of as a Norse Gods look.

3. It looks like character interaction is a big part of this. With such a deep bench of supporting players, the Thor mythos is great for having all it's players cross pollinate.

All in all, pretty badass. Can. Not. Wait.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 08-08-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #863
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm glad you liked it Krypton, how do you feel aboug Thor smashing that crater in the ground as he landed?

Now that's a strength feat for you, nothing says super strong like destroying concrete casually..

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #864
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm glad you liked it Krypton, how do you feel aboug Thor smashing that crater in the ground as he landed?

Now that's a strength feat for you, nothing says super strong like destroying concrete casually..

Oh yes sir, it does!!! It would be great if we saw Thor taken to the limit of his powers. That "casual" smash of the Kronan at the end was also fan freakin' tastic!!! The horde surrounding Thor and Sif there makes me think we will see Thor smacking around a lot of bad guys. I still to see if they have Thor flexing pure muscle, but then again in the Kronan part he does flick his hammer around like it's nothing, much like his spinning it during the fight against the Frost Giants. I was please friend. Now the waiting game begins. (I hate the waiting game though... Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos instead! )

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #865
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah they didn't include Thor ripping up the ground as he landed in Thor or TA, so I'm sure he's gonna have some pure strength feats. Oh and Thor was sending those 10 foot Frost Giants soaring in the first film, so he's gonna hit home runs with these human sized enemies.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #866
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah they didn't include Thor ripping up the ground as he landed in Thor or TA, so I'm sure he's gonna have some pure strength feats. Oh and Thor was sending those 10 foot Frost Giants soaring in the first film, so he's gonna hit home runs with these human sized enemies.
Do you think that was the end of the Kronan warrior? Or is it a fake out for the trailer? The way it looked, I would buy if the moment Thor turns his back the creature recombines to continue the fight. Though a one and done shot would work too. Imagine if the guys around Thor and Sif just back off or runaway after that?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #867
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Always talking about strength and power levels BigThor.

Its okay though, after MOS I'm sure many Thor fans want action like that...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #868
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Always talking about strength and power levels BigThor.

Its okay though, after MOS I'm sure many Thor fans want action like that...

Let the record show, all Thor fans, that I was not the one to bring up MAN OF STEEL.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #869
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Let the record show, all Thor fans, that I was not the one to bring up MAN OF STEEL.
I haven't seen it though hehe, I just know it has alot of action on a crazy scale apparently.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #870
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I haven't seen it though hehe, I just know it has alot of action on a crazy scale apparently.

I do not want derail things, but I must tell you to prepare yourself for an insane amount of superhuman power on display. Epic is finally not hyperbole when speaking of the action. We now return to our regularly scheduled program about talking about how cool the DARK WORLD trailer was.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #871
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Do you think that was the end of the Kronan warrior? Or is it a fake out for the trailer? The way it looked, I would buy if the moment Thor turns his back the creature recombines to continue the fight. Though a one and done shot would work too. Imagine if the guys around Thor and Sif just back off or runaway after that?
I think that was the end of the Kronan. A bunch of them never were a match for Thor, so one should be dispatched quite easily.

Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #872
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Really really good trailer, second best of the year so far behind Man of Steel (that'll take some beating).

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #873
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
Really really good trailer, second best of the year so far behind Man of Steel (that'll take some beating).

Once again, somebody without a Superman based screen name referenced MAN OF STEEL... Not me.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #874
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
I sure hope you're right about that.
some combat speed feats to shutup the MOS fanboys too would be spectacular =)

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #875
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Just pointing out again, that the obvious Superma "fanboy" was not the one to reference MAN OF STEEL in the domain of the Thunderer. Juat sayin'.