The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #651
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Re: THE WOLVERINE Trailer Thread - First Full Teaser Online March 27th

I thought it looked pretty cool! I love the theme of Wolverine being mortal and therefore never more dangerous. I also love that we get to see a full berserker rage again not like all those times he is reduced to the old 'slash the keyboard to make the emergency door come down' trick or what he's been reduced to in the comics.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #652
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Oberton Sexton, how do you know this? do you have aranofsky's script?
I read a pretty detailed review of it a while back, it was a pretty interesting adaption and a hard R (for example there was a lesbian sex scene) though it changed some things for no reason for the sake of not having to connect itself with the previous continuity.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #653
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I wonder how many Samurais he'd fight shirtless and at night. I'm pretty sure it's him, just after Wolverine stripped him of most of his armor.
Maybe SS and a few of his henchmen attack him during the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
I read a pretty detailed review of it a while back, it was a pretty interesting adaption and a hard R (for example there was a lesbian sex scene) though it changed some things for no reason for the sake of not having to connect itself with the previous continuity.
Where did you read this? Online? LINK?!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #654
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
i guess we can know for sure by checking the actor's face in the trailer? i'm not sure who is playing silver samurai so i'll leave it to someone else :P

personally i think it is a different person
It's definitely Will Yun Lee.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #655
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Maybe SS and a few of his henchmen attack him during the night?

Where did you read this? Online? LINK?!
It's online yeah, I'm not allowed to post here but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #656
RustyCage
Come what may..

This just jumped to the top of my anticipated superhero film list. Holy balls.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #657
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Well the trailer looks much better than Origins, which I didn't even watch at the cinema I was that uninspired. Will this get me into the cinema? Not sure yet. All those interviews beforehand were promising something special but the vibe I'm getting from the trailer is of a fairly typical big summer blockbuster, with some Japanese trimmings and what sounds like pretty stiff line readings from that red-haired Japanese girl. The whole "struggle with immortality" theme could be interesting I suppose, though I'm not quite sure where exactly it comes from - correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that though Wolverine has been alive for a very long time he doesn't actually remember his past life and has never fully recovered the memories? So if your memories don't actually date far back why would you get angsty about having lived for too long? Anyway, I think I'll wait till the reviews come in.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #658
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Positive: Hey, it looks better/more interesting than Origins, with better cinematography.

Negative: Special effects on top that train are pretty bad/inconsistent/unfinished (?).

Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #659
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
realistically speaking, its impossible to coat the bone, since it needs direct contact with blood stream and what not. I know realism doesnt work here, but ya his healing factor does have something to do with it.
I remember in the novelization of the Weapon X story, they got around that by injecting some kind of nanochips into his bloodstream that somehow created a way to keep the blood flowing through the adamantium and into his bones. They basically recreated pores so that his bones could still 'breathe'.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #660
gdw
Side-Kick

Although the thematic elements it may address are worthwhile, I'm not sure I like the idea of de-powering Wolverine.
Besides the fact that it's been done in Superman 2, and the fact that the adamantium on his bones would kill him, if not for the extra weight, just the body rejecting it without his healing factor, it just feels like a contrived hook.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #661
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
Based on that trailer, this is my guess of what the story is about:

Back in the day, Wolverine saved the old guy from Silver Samurai. As a thanks, he tells Wovlerine he can now lose the powers and die. Wolvie does it, but then he's attacked at the old guy's "funeral".

We start to get insight that Silver Samurai is back, and now Wolvie is screwed. At the end we find out that the old guy took Wolvie's healing powers and kept himself alive and rejuvenated and has actually been Silver Samurai all along.

Work in Wolverine getting his powers back either right before the final battle or right after.
It looked rather clear that he was saving him from one of the atomic bombs in WWII, not saving him from SS.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #662
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well the trailer looks much better than Origins, which I didn't even watch at the cinema I was that uninspired. Will this get me into the cinema? Not sure yet. All those interviews beforehand were promising something special but the vibe I'm getting from the trailer is of a fairly typical big summer blockbuster, with some Japanese trimmings and what sounds like pretty stiff line readings from that red-haired Japanese girl. The whole "struggle with immortality" theme could be interesting I suppose, though I'm not quite sure where exactly it comes from - correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that though Wolverine has been alive for a very long time he doesn't actually remember his past life and has never fully recovered the memories? So if your memories don't actually date far back why would you get angsty about having lived for too long? Anyway, I think I'll wait till the reviews come in.
Indeed. His memories were erased after the silver bullet thing in Origins, so he doesn't even remember his relationship with Kayla. Not sure how he feels so bereft about losing everyone he ever loved when his memory only goes back 15 years (from the start of X1 anyway). The only love he lost was Jean and he was the one who killed her.

The biggest worry is that if this film does badly (critically and/or financially), it's not going to be a very positive set-up for DoFP.

In my view, an Asian martial arts filmmaker (like Ang Lee) might have steered this film closer to its roots. So would Tarantino, judging from Kill Bill, which feels authentic even with Uma Thurman leaping round in a yellow tracksuit.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #663
Drakepool
Side-Kick

The storyline with Wolverine becoming "normal" again definitely has me intrigued.

I do have to say that, after getting so used to Steve Blum's PERFECT Wolverine in various games and cartoons, hearing Hugh Jackman again is VERY underwhelming. :-/

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #664
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Yea, when I read Wolverine and Japan my minds eye was thinking of the scenes in Japan in Kill Bill. Tarantino was able to visualize a perfectly exotic and 'comic booky' Japan. Too bad this, from what we've seen, envisions a rather bland Japan. Can you imagine a Wolverine version of the Crazy 88 fight? With claws instead of a Hikari Hanzo sword this time.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #665
Nathan

I had my fill of 'comic booky' with Origins. I'm glad they return to the more toned down style, like X1&2. Also, just because it's Japan, it doesn't automatically need to be exotic looking. But it depends on the location. If you're filming in the city, it looks just as generic as everywhere else on the planet.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #666
Killgrave
Side-Kick

Hugh Jackman talking about Viper, bullet train, and Jean...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...-jackman.jhtml

Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #667
Marvin
Side-Kick

I was personally hoping for an Old Boy feel(look).
Every punch connected and as big as his final fight was, there was no big locomotive and green screen.

Plus he looked scruffy and lost but always confident.

He're hoping

Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #668
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I love Hugh's enthusiasm for the character. That's enough right there to make me want to see the movie...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #669
Nathan

Didn't he also have lots of enthusiasm for Origins?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #670
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Didn't he also have lots of enthusiasm for Origins?
I'm sure he did, but when he's describing the movie and he sounds like a little kid on Christmas morning its hard to be cynical...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #671
Nathan

Doesn't always guarantee though that the end product will deliver. I'm trying to hope for the best, but certain key people being enthusiastic and excited, isn't enough to get my butt in the seat. I've been burned too often already.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #672
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Doesn't always guarantee though that the end product will deliver.
Never said it did. I critiqued a lot of different things in the trailer a few pages back. Just saying something positive... I like his enthusiasm.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #673
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I had my fill of 'comic booky' with Origins. I'm glad they return to the more toned down style, like X1&2. Also, just because it's Japan, it doesn't automatically need to be exotic looking. But it depends on the location. If you're filming in the city, it looks just as generic as everywhere else on the planet.
No, it doesn't have to look unique. But film is a visual medium, and having a strong east Asian aesthetic would've instantly set this fim apart from your Iron Mans and Supermans, as opposed to the more bland look they are going with.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #674
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I remember knowing the second I saw the Origins trailer that it was going to be utter filth. With The Wolverine however I'm getting a completely different feeling. It's the same one I got with First Class and I remember that pre-release many thought it was going to be a bust as well.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #675
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I remember knowing the second I saw the Origins trailer that it was going to be utter filth. With The Wolverine however I'm getting a completely different feeling. It's the same one I got with First Class and I remember that pre-release many thought it was going to be a bust as well.
I really, really hope your feelings prove to be correct once more.

Closed Thread